PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Storm GT vs Pure Storm Tour GT

mrmo1115
07-25-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm going to switch to whichever of the two is more comfortable to me, but I want to hear opinions on them and how they match up against each other. I know the weight difference is evident.

My last couple sticks have been the Tecnifibre 305, Wilson K Blade 98, Head Flexpoint Prestige, and the Yonex V Core 98D for a very little time.

Thanks.

Power Player
07-25-2011, 01:08 PM
The Tour is a racquet GROAT. It is so good that Sampras himself uses it. He adds 15 pounds of lead tape to the frame and strings it at 88#s. So you can use it stock and be fine.

mrmo1115
07-25-2011, 01:25 PM
I'll see if the 12 ounce weight will hold me back at all. I'm honestly leaning towards the Tour just because it looks like a much more solid frame... but I'm not going to make any assumptions without trying them both.

tenimuhyotennis
07-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Having demoed both, the Tour is indeed a little more stable and better for flatter strokes and volleys, but lacks a little bit of the spin potential of the regular Pure Storm.
So...if your game is a little more spin/angle oriented, I'd go with the regular.

Not that I'm biased one way or the other... (see sig):)

jjs891
07-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Which one serves better? One's better for spin serve vs flat?

parasailing
07-25-2011, 03:08 PM
PSTGT for the win!!! The tour is just more solid and stable than the regular GT unless you plan to do some customizations, then all bets are off.

I have demoed quite a lot of player's racquets and keeping coming back to this wonderful solid and plush stick. You can hit tospin or flatten shots without any issues and the control on this racquet is wonderful not to mention soft on the arm.

pyrokid
07-25-2011, 03:15 PM
PSTGT. The things hits a monster ball with ease, unlike the wimpy little brother it keeps around to remind you how much of a stud it is.

mrmo1115
07-25-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm a player who hits with more more flat than with spin. Although I don't consider myself a flat driver. I just don't hit with any massive spin nor do I concentrate on hitting topspin.

Fed Kennedy
07-25-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm a player who hits with more more flat than with spin. Although I don't consider myself a flat driver. I just don't hit with any massive spin nor do I concentrate on hitting topspin.

Tour all the way.

mrmo1115
07-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Hmm is the PST still a maneuverable racquet?

parasailing
07-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Hmm is the PST still a maneuverable racquet?

I think it's quite maneuverable and the harder and faster you swing, the heavier ball you produce. It is just wonderful racquet that doesn't get much notice on the forums.

KenC
07-25-2011, 10:03 PM
The Pure Storm line should be divided up. The PS plays very differently from the PST and the PSLGT. The PST and the PSLGT are two very different racquets.

You really need to demo the PS and the PST side by side with your favorite string. The PST is not that heavy and is much more solid feeling. The PS just feels like a beginner frame.

mrmo1115
07-25-2011, 10:12 PM
^ Yeah I know they are completely different frames. I don't know if I can modify string setups as I hate throwing a half pack of Natural Gut onto a demo. The PST is a racquet I am looking forward to playing with. The PS is just to give me an alternate racquet to compare to.

un6a
07-26-2011, 12:54 AM
PST GT is very good frame, but be sure you are strong enough to swing it comfortably. It is more solid, but also more sluggish than most racquets with same weight.

mateencleaves
07-26-2011, 05:54 AM
I've hit with the PS GT extensively. I've only hit with the Tour for about 5 mins, so I can' t make a comparison. My experience is a bit different than others who have commented. I think the PS GT is a surprisingly stable racket, especially for its weight. I hit against 4.5/5.0 players and haven't had any trouble with racket stability against hard hit balls. To me, it's one of those rackets that doesn't really shine in any one area, but is very solid on all strokes. Also, the PS GT is a good platform for customization. I've found that finding a string set-up that I feel completely comfortable with in this stick to be a bit of a chore.

0d1n
07-26-2011, 07:04 AM
Although I have not hit with the 2 versions of Pure Storm racquets ... I find it hard to believe that they created 2 separate layups for 2 completely different racquets...(one being the Tour and one the regular) from the same mold AND used different weighting for them.

To me it seems much more likely that the Tour is a Regular with some weight added to it (this would make more sense from a production perspective as well) and the reports with regards to different playing characteristics are simply related to the different specs (weight/balance/sw).

Power Player
07-26-2011, 07:15 AM
PST GT is very good frame, but be sure you are strong enough to swing it comfortably. It is more solid, but also more sluggish than most racquets with same weight.

This is a very good description.

mrmo1115
07-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Well I just came back from hitting with the PSTGT for 45 minutes. The strings were Wilson HC and I hated it.. however, I did notice that I was a tad sluggish with the racquet. It may be too demanding for me but I will have to play a set or so to see how it would react.

captainobvious
07-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Give the PSGT a try. I just got to hit with it the other day and its very comfortable. Without a dampener, it was still noticeably more comfortable than the Pure Storm Team GT, and hit much better. (I was getting more topspin, more pace and more control)
I was expecting to not like it, and it impressed. (fyi- I havent hit with the tour, so cant compare those two)

parasailing
07-26-2011, 09:30 AM
To me, it didn't feel sluggish but then I was using a KPS 88 before this so maybe I have a different perspective. I like the fact that the weight is mostly in the handle and I don't feel it in the throat or the head of the racquet. It is nicely balance and is this what some would call a polarized racquet? I have a harder time generating racquet speed when the throat area is a tad heavier such as the Aero Storm Tour GT or any racquet where the majority of the weight feels centered in the handle.

mrmo1115
07-26-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm so torn between the racquets that I'm going to string both demos with my normal strings and see how it goes. The PSTGT feels solid and I like it, but it seems pretty demanding for me. On the other hand the PSGT feels light and easy to swing, but it might be missing that extra oomph I want.

psycho0
07-26-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm so torn between the racquets that I'm going to string both demos with my normal strings and see how it goes. The PSTGT feels solid and I like it, but it seems pretty demanding for me. On the other hand the PSGT feels light and easy to swing, but it might be missing that extra oomph I want.

I think what you need is something in-between these racquets. I would suggest in getting the PSGT and then customizing with lead tape to your desired specs. Whereas, if you get the PST, you're stuck with what you have unless you take off the bumper to make it less demanding.

mrmo1115
07-26-2011, 11:49 AM
I think something in between would be great but I don't really want to get into customization and fixing anything around..it's just something I've never done and want to get into. Taking off the bumper? I never heard of that before.

I'll string both with my normal string set up and see how it goes.

psycho0
07-26-2011, 11:58 AM
I think something in between would be great but I don't really want to get into customization and fixing anything around..it's just something I've never done and want to get into. Taking off the bumper? I never heard of that before.

I'll string both with my normal string set up and see how it goes.

If you don't want to fiddle around with lead tape, you can always just replace the stock grip with a leather one. This should add around 8g and make the racquet more headlight to match the PST.

I personally used to use the youtek prestige MP, which has very similar specs to a PST. It was great during practice but during matches I found it too demanding. I demoed the PS GT and loved it so I switched over. I have about 10g of in the handle so the specs are somewhere in between a PST and PS GT.

So I suggest you take both racquets out for few matches and see which one you feel more comfortable with. Best of luck!

mrmo1115
07-26-2011, 12:15 PM
You found the YTK Prestige too demanding? I actually found every Prestige to not be that demanding. I even used the Flexpoint Prestige MP before. It's odd how I've dived into tweener frames like the KB98 after a long stint with the Prestige. How do you compare the PST with the PS ?

psycho0
07-26-2011, 12:35 PM
You found the YTK Prestige too demanding? I actually found every Prestige to not be that demanding. I even used the Flexpoint Prestige MP before. It's odd how I've dived into tweener frames like the KB98 after a long stint with the Prestige. How do you compare the PST with the PS ?

I found the PST very similar to prestige MP in terms of weight but the PST had a bigger sweetspot, more pop and spin most likely due to the open string pattern. I found that I had difficulty keeping the ball deep during matches with the prestige even after trying numerous leadtape customizations and string setups. I had no problem keeping the ball deep during rallies but in a match situation, I guess my wrist locks up a bit and I tend to hit short. What I needed was a lighter racquet with a bigger sweetspot.

Personally for me, I found the PST was very stable and had more plow than the PS, however, I find that during pressure times in a match, the lighter stick lets me get away with a lot more especially if my technique and footwork is not 100% there. That's mostly personal preference, but I definitely suggest you taking both racquets to a match and then compare because regular rallying doesn't really reveal what you want in a racquet. Hope that helped.

mrmo1115
07-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Indeed it did help. Thanks a bunch. I will indeed do that. Play with both in individual sets and see how I feel.

mateencleaves
07-27-2011, 08:37 AM

I have found the PS GT to be pretty string sensitive. With full poly in the middle of the tension range, it seemed pretty low powered. With natural gut mains and poly crosses, there was definitely more pop, actually too much pop for my liking. So, I think if you experiment with various string set-ups, you'll likely find one that will give you the extra oomph you're looking for.

Tmano
07-27-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm going to switch to whichever of the two is more comfortable to me, but I want to hear opinions on them and how they match up against each other. I know the weight difference is evident.

My last couple sticks have been the Tecnifibre 305, Wilson K Blade 98, Head Flexpoint Prestige, and the Yonex V Core 98D for a very little time.

Thanks.

I have been playing with the Pure strom Gt for a year and I can tell you it's a good racquet even thought demending. It's on the low power racquet that works pretty well with full bed poly but it's missing something. May be some extra weigh, some plow through and maybe stability especially when you play with people who hit with heavy top spin. Also the serve is kind demanding. I'm honestly in about to try the Tour version to see if it works better. a while ago tried the KBlade 98 and it is a low powered racquet in my case with a demanding serve.

topspin18
07-27-2011, 04:37 PM
The pure storm tour is a perfect weight for my game and nice power. I had a leather grip and 4g of lead at 3 and 9 and about 4 months later my wrist got destroyed because of the added weight and now i am back to stock and everything feels fine. I am still looking for a nice poly to work with this frame. I really liked Black codes and BHBR so far. Any other strings set up work?

BigM
07-27-2011, 05:47 PM
I think what you need is something in-between these racquets. I would suggest in getting the PSGT and then customizing with lead tape to your desired specs. Whereas, if you get the PST, you're stuck with what you have unless you take off the bumper to make it less demanding.

I had the same issue. I just went with the Standard PSGT's and beefed up the swing weights. I also added a Leather grip. My specs are listed in my Signature. I can recommend these rackets without hesitation.

mrmo1115
07-27-2011, 05:55 PM
I tried both racquets today and I noticed that the PSTGT definitely gave me a heavier ball but it was noticeable harder to swing. It was still a comfortable frame to hit.. definitely not overly stiff or overly soft. One shot that troubled me immensely with the PSTGT was my backhand..just couldn't get the timing right. The PSGT gave me a lot more freedom to swing out however I felt like I lost a lot of the sting on the ball I had on the heavier PSTGT. Again I'm leaning towards the PSTGT, but I need to play with them both more. I'll report back my opinions after every day.

mrmo1115
07-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Back from another light hit. Starting to lean towards the PSGT.. the PSTGT is starting to reveal its sluggishness to me. Anyone have any recommendations as to other racquets with close the same plowthrough as the PSTGT but won't cause me to feel a little sluggish out there swinging repeatedly?

TheOneHander
07-28-2011, 08:37 AM
I tried both racquets today and I noticed that the PSTGT definitely gave me a heavier ball but it was noticeable harder to swing. It was still a comfortable frame to hit.. definitely not overly stiff or overly soft. One shot that troubled me immensely with the PSTGT was my backhand..just couldn't get the timing right. The PSGT gave me a lot more freedom to swing out however I felt like I lost a lot of the sting on the ball I had on the heavier PSTGT. Again I'm leaning towards the PSTGT, but I need to play with them both more. I'll report back my opinions after every day.

Sweet action. I know these are demos, but have you considered adding lead to the PSGT? It does wondrous things with some in the handle.

mrmo1115
07-28-2011, 08:43 AM
I don't think I'm going to lead the PSGT if I end up switching to it. Which is why I'm having some trouble making a final decision on which stick I'm switching to.

TheOneHander
07-28-2011, 08:49 AM
I don't think I'm going to lead the PSGT if I end up switching to it. Which is why I'm having some trouble making a final decision on which stick I'm switching to.

Why would you not? Just for curiosity's sake. I thought I was going to leave m ASGTs stock, but I ended up modding them for more whip-which is great.

mrmo1115
07-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Not too familiar with leading up sticks. Don't really want to tamper with balance and what not.

mrtrinh
07-28-2011, 09:36 AM
im also debating between the pure storm gt and the pure storm tour gt. I currently play with the microgel prestige pro and I guess the sensible thing is to go with the tour but the high sw scares me a little. Im also thinking about just buying the pure storm gt and leading it up a little. very surprised this frame is 1hl

mrmo1115
07-28-2011, 09:38 AM
^ The swingweight is definitely causing the racquet to feel extremely sluggish. I'd sometimes spray a ball 2 feet wide when I'm trying to rip a ball down the line because of the timing thats off. I enjoy the type of ball I generate when I am set up and get a nice swing at the ball, but I don't have the consistency which is causing me to hesitate to switch to the PSTGT. The PS GT is indeed 1 pt HL, very close to an even balanced racquet.

mrtrinh
07-28-2011, 09:49 AM
i think the ps gt is a good choice, but I think you should definitely consider adding some weight to the handle to help make it more maneuverable. A leather grip and a few strips of lead should make that racket perfect

mrmo1115
07-28-2011, 09:58 AM
We'll see... again I'm pretty adamant about not tampering with the racquets, very inexperienced in customizing. mrtrinh, which of the 2 are you siding towards?

mrtrinh
07-28-2011, 10:06 AM
We'll see... again I'm pretty adamant about not tampering with the racquets, very inexperienced in customizing. mrtrinh, which of the 2 are you siding towards?

most likely the pure storm tour gt. its most similar to the current sticks I play with, the k blade tour and microgel prestige pro. Still need to demo though

PED
07-28-2011, 10:09 AM
I've owned both. The pstgt hits a nice ball and it's great for consistently heavy shots but I find it's hard sometimes to take it to that next level as it's somewhat log like in its balance. The pstgt would be ideal if it were around 12grams lighter: somewhere in the mid 330's like the ytmp instead of almost 350g strung with an og.

The psgt on the other hand has that really strange balance. I under stand you don't want to do anything with lead but the psgt even the addition of a heavier leather grip would help out in adding some beef to the frame.

The great thing about the lighter psgt is that it enables you to have the stick speed create a penetrating ball and that's what matters at the end of the day.

mrmo1115
07-28-2011, 10:13 AM
I've owned both. The pstgt hits a nice ball and it's great for consistently heavy shots but I find it's hard sometimes to take it to that next level as it's somewhat log like in its balance. The pstgt would be ideal if it were around 12grams lighter: somewhere in the mid 330's like the ytmp instead of almost 350g strung with an og.

The psgt on the other hand has that really strange balance. I under stand you don't want to do anything with lead but the psgt even the addition of a heavier leather grip would help out in adding some beef to the frame.

The great thing about the lighter psgt is that it enables you to have the stick speed create a penetrating ball and that's what matters at the end of the day.

Which of the 2 did you prefer more? I agree I wish the PSTGT was just a tad lighter. You are 100% correct though.. I do indeed feel like I can hit a more penetrating ball with the PSGT, although not as heavy of a ball with the PSTGT. Again I'm leaning towards the PSGT because I feel like I can be more consistent with it.

If my racquet history helps with any suggestions at all here it is, starting from the FXP Prestige MP, going to the MG Prestige for a little bit less than a year, going back to FXP, going to Wilson KBT for a little before going for the 98, then going to Tecnifibre and its 305 T-Fight.

JMcQ
07-28-2011, 10:25 AM
I just recently switched from the PS Tour GT to the PS GT after playing with the Tour for nearly a year. Although I agree with everyone here that the Tour will hit a heavier ball, volleys better, and feels more "plush" than the PS, the extra weight hurt my game more than it helped.

With the PS, I "cover" the ball better, especially on my backhand side (one-hander). Even with bad footwork, I can still get the racquet through the zone properly. With the Tour, and when playing heavy hitters, I was late often (thus creating that ugly sidespin screwball-type shot).

Also, I serve bigger with the PS because I can pronate better. This equals more power and more kick (on those rare occasions when I actually use my legs.)

Finally, I welcome the lighter frame late in matches when my feet have turned into bricks, my mind mush, and my strokes laughable. With the Tour, I was very conscious of the weight and my inability to finish my strokes.

Hope this helps.

mrtrinh
07-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Which of the 2 did you prefer more? I agree I wish the PSTGT was just a tad lighter. You are 100% correct though.. I do indeed feel like I can hit a more penetrating ball with the PSGT, although not as heavy of a ball with the PSTGT. Again I'm leaning towards the PSGT because I feel like I can be more consistent with it.

If my racquet history helps with any suggestions at all here it is, starting from the FXP Prestige MP, going to the MG Prestige for a little bit less than a year, going back to FXP, going to Wilson KBT for a little before going for the 98, then going to Tecnifibre and its 305 T-Fight.

can you tell us what you liked/disliked about each frame you have played?

mrmo1115
07-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Sure. The FXP Prestige MP gave me loads of control, but I eventually switched because I did not have much on my ball, I felt a lack of pop and action. Mind you I was around 12 when I was using the Prestige, so many players I played around that age weren't hitting with much power. Transitioned to the MG Prestige MP, but eventually preferred the firmer and more stable feel of the FXP Prestige MP. Tried the YTK Prestige MP but disliked it more than the MG Prestige MP.. too dampened of a feel. Tried the K Blade Tour and liked it, gave me good control, but once again didn't feel like it gave me enough pop so someone recommended me to try the KB98, which I did and I got along with it. This was the first time I ever ventured into the lower 11 ounce range.. and I surely didn't mind it. In fact, the KB98 to me swung heavier than its weight. After the BLX Blade came out, I didn't really like the feeling at all, in fact it felt like a different racquet all together. I eventually tried Tecnifibre, since my coach is sponsored by them, and enjoyed the pop and control of the 305 VO2 Max..the 325's little brother (Team version you can say). The 325 was too demanding for me at 12.1 ounces and extremely stiff. Used the 305 and loved the pop and control, but eventually developed some shoulder/arm problems with it, most likely due to its 69 Stiffness. I tried and thought I would be switching again to Yonex V Core 98 D , but the stiffness brought back some pain in the arm/shoulder so I decided to look at the Pure Storms. So as you can see, I'm more used to the lower 11 ounce racquetes now..as the only previous racquet that I've used in the higher 11 ounce range-low 12 ounce range was the Flexpoint Prestige MidPlus.

I just recently switched from the PS Tour GT to the PS GT after playing with the Tour for nearly a year. Although I agree with everyone here that the Tour will hit a heavier ball, volleys better, and feels more "plush" than the PS, the extra weight hurt my game more than it helped.

With the PS, I "cover" the ball better, especially on my backhand side (one-hander). Even with bad footwork, I can still get the racquet through the zone properly. With the Tour, and when playing heavy hitters, I was late often (thus creating that ugly sidespin screwball-type shot).

Also, I serve bigger with the PS because I can pronate better. This equals more power and more kick (on those rare occasions when I actually use my legs.)

Finally, I welcome the lighter frame late in matches when my feet have turned into bricks, my mind mush, and my strokes laughable. With the Tour, I was very conscious of the weight and my inability to finish my strokes.

Hope this helps.

This helped a lot. And it also describes how I feel about the PSTGT as well. Possibly one more hit to confirm how I feel about these frames. But I'm close to switching to the PSGT!

BC1
07-28-2011, 11:09 AM
I am currently using a psgt - just had for 2 weeks now - but liking it a lot. It was already strung with prince syn gut duraflex. It feels great, power and control are also good. However, I wonder how it performs with other strings (poly, multi, hybrid).

Anyone care to share their preferred strings and tension for the psgt or the pstgt?

(Sorry mrmo1115 for sort of hijaking your thread, but I figured you may be interested in the string recommendations as well)

mrmo1115
07-28-2011, 11:19 AM
It's fine. My string setup though is a PHT/VS Touch if that helps at all.

PED
07-28-2011, 11:52 AM

I liked the pstgt better as the balance was too different for me on the psgt.

The psgt would be more effective IMO if it was more like the pd or the apd spec wise. In stock form, it's just too light for me and I'd have to add weight in too many places for it to work for me. That's why I prefer the Radical Pro over the regular Radical.

In the end, I went back to an apdgt and modded it to 334g with 32.5cm balance. I know my specs pretty well.

I saw that you didn't like the ytmp Prestige. Did you ever try the ytpp: it's an open pattern but it's got great control and is very arm friendly. The specs would be right in your wheelhouse: mid 330's on the weight and the SW is only 320ish. Great stick and it produces a nasty slice:twisted:

mrmo1115
07-28-2011, 12:00 PM
I love the sepcs on the PPro but the leather grip was something that I did not fall in love with. As a person who doesn't like to tamper with the racquet in customization, I didn't want to take off leathers and replace with Synethetics as I thought it might have changed the specs too drastically. I actually thought I was going to switch to it.

PED, did you find the PSTGT at all demanding or caused you to feel sluggish at all? Those are just my 2 complaints on the stick.

Tmano
07-28-2011, 12:25 PM
What I can tell is that I tried to customized the PSGT adding lead tape first to 3/9 and handle then the second time only on the botton cup which made it bit more wippy but overall it did not work for me. I believe that racquet is ment to be played the way it is. I play with full bad poly and I can tell you that the shots are not penetrating much at all; they can be deep well placed but they can be controlled by your opponent.

Power Player
07-28-2011, 12:41 PM
The pure storm unfortunately is not a great candidate to be modified. The balance is 1 pt HL so you have to add weight in the handle to counterbalance and that robs you of the freedom of keeping the static weight under control and bringing up the SW.

mrmo1115
07-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Agreed. If I end up picking the PSGT... I won't be customizing.

richsox
07-28-2011, 12:55 PM
I mucked around with lead tape everywhere on the PS GT racket, then settled for 12G under the grip, then tore the lead off, and put on a Bab leather grip. This works for me.....

I do find the racket when struck in the sweetspot deliver a very solid controlled shot. 2nd serve kickers are also pretty decent with this stick.

parasailing
07-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Agreed. If I end up picking the PSGT... I won't be customizing.

If you don't customize it, I don't see how this racquet will be stable enough to handle heavy shots from your opponent. The PSTGT is the better racquet IMO.

Sreeram
07-28-2011, 01:24 PM
I have been playing with MG radical Pro for 6 months and then switched to PSTGT 2 months back. It is a great racquet and it has the exact maneuverability that i wanted from a racquet. The swing weight is perfect for my shots and I can easily keep the ball deep. Also with OG it is around 8pts HL which helps me to easily smack the ball in serve using my wrist. Previous I have used few Tour models like that I liked but they were not enough HL for me, so when I added lead to make them 8Pts HL the static weight increased to 12.3 oz.

PED
07-28-2011, 04:20 PM
I love the sepcs on the PPro but the leather grip was something that I did not fall in love with. As a person who doesn't like to tamper with the racquet in customization, I didn't want to take off leathers and replace with Synethetics as I thought it might have changed the specs too drastically. I actually thought I was going to switch to it.

PED, did you find the PSTGT at all demanding or caused you to feel sluggish at all? Those are just my 2 complaints on the stick.

Actually, the PP would probably respond well to the grip switch to synthetic. It would make it a touch less HL and give it some more balls. You could play it stock otherwise with no problems at all. It's easy to create really fast stick speed.

The PST isn't too demanding but when up against better players, I found I had an easier time pulling the trigger for a winner with my Prestiges. I went from the pstgt to the PP and I found the PP quicker through the strike zone and I could do more with the ball if caught out of position.

My 2hbh is better with the pstgt but my fh is MUCH better with the PP so all things considered, I went with the Head.

There is just something about the specs of the pstgt that make if feel a bit sluggish to me. Great feel though and very arm friendly.

mrtrinh
07-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Actually, the PP would probably respond well to the grip switch to synthetic. It would make it a touch less HL and give it some more balls. You could play it stock otherwise with no problems at all. It's easy to create really fast stick speed.

The PST isn't too demanding but when up against better players, I found I had an easier time pulling the trigger for a winner with my Prestiges. I went from the pstgt to the PP and I found the PP quicker through the strike zone and I could do more with the ball if caught out of position.

My 2hbh is better with the pstgt but my fh is MUCH better with the PP so all things considered, I went with the Head.

There is just something about the specs of the pstgt that make if feel a bit sluggish to me. Great feel though and very arm friendly.

Were you able to generate the same amount of pace with the PST like the PP? I've been considering the PST but it has a higher sw than my microgel prestige pros and that is the only thing holding me back from buying a PST. Ive played with the pure storm gt but hated the balance and lack of mass it had.

also mrmo1115, the microgel prestige pro comes with a synthetic grip if you dont like the leather that comes with the youtek prestige

mrmo1115
07-28-2011, 05:12 PM
I'm here to report again on playing with both racquets in a match situation. Played a set. Started with the PSGT, immediately started to feel like I couldn't hit with enough pace or action on the ball and went down 0-3 quick, double break. Started to play with the PSTGT and managed to climb back and went up 5-4 on sevre.. eventually the dimming light and a little loose points here and there caused me to lose 5-7, but winning 5 out of 9 games was much better than I did with the PSGT. Starting to feel like I'm going to buy a PSTGT and spending time to adapt to the some of the sluggishness that is affecting me a tad..especially on the backhand side.

PED, I actually tried switching to the PP last year, and it for some reason gave me some forearm trouble. Just noting it.

Tmano
07-28-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm here to report again on playing with both racquets in a match situation. Played a set. Started with the PSGT, immediately started to feel like I couldn't hit with enough pace or action on the ball and went down 0-3 quick, double break. Started to play with the PSTGT and managed to climb back and went up 5-4 on sevre.. eventually the dimming light and a little loose points here and there caused me to lose 5-7, but winning 5 out of 9 games was much better than I did with the PSGT. Starting to feel like I'm going to buy a PSTGT and spending time to adapt to the some of the sluggishness that is affecting me a tad..especially on the backhand side.

PED, I actually tried switching to the PP last year, and it for some reason gave me some forearm trouble. Just noting it.

I don't know your tennis level or your style but once again the PSGT is definitely not a racquet you can totally relay on. It's a very good stick yet even when you go for a winner unless it's totally flat or angled and very deep you are never 100% sure to get the point. I have 3 of them and it took me a while to figure this out but now I switched to the GT tour.

mrmo1115
07-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Well I've been playing these 2 sticks side by side for a little time now and the pro's for the PSTGT far outweigh the pro's for the PSGT. I went ahead and bought one PSTGT.

TennisMaverick
07-29-2011, 02:42 AM
Well I've been playing these 2 sticks side by side for a little time now and the pro's for the PSTGT far outweigh the pro's for the PSGT. I went ahead and bought one PSTGT.

With your arm problems, you may want to look into the X 10 325. The X 10 is softer on your joints and more stable, two important factors for anyone with arm issues. Not so surprisingly, I understand that quite a few guys have expressed interest in making the switch from their Babs and Heads.

mrtrinh
07-29-2011, 09:56 AM
quick question, do the pure storms grip size run big like the aeropros and pure drives? i know when I played with those 2 sticks i had to size down a 1/4. wondering if its the same with the pure storm line

0d1n
07-29-2011, 10:50 AM
^^ The handle is the same ... but the replacement grip is thinner on the storm series (Skin Feel instead of Syntec).

YesTennis
07-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Need some help. I'm considering one of the pure storms but could use some advise. I'm about 50 yo, rated 3.5-4.0. I play essentially an all around game. Semi western fh, one handed bh. Never had any arm/shoulder problems. Which of the Pure Storms do you think would be best- PS, PST, or PSL? I currently play with Tech X-1. Do you think this string or Gamma Live Wire Pro would work with the Pure Storms?

mrmo1115
07-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Done deal. PSTGT is it. Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.

TheOneHander
07-29-2011, 07:28 PM

Congratulations on your new stick. Would you mind giving us a full review?

topspin18
07-30-2011, 05:04 AM
A full review would be nice. And see how you like the racket after a while.

psycho0
07-31-2011, 08:09 AM
To the PS GT users, have any of you noticed a weird vibration sound when the ball strikes the upper hoop of the racquet? It sounds as if something is loose. Thanks

parasailing
07-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Need some help. I'm considering one of the pure storms but could use some advise. I'm about 50 yo, rated 3.5-4.0. I play essentially an all around game. Semi western fh, one handed bh. Never had any arm/shoulder problems. Which of the Pure Storms do you think would be best- PS, PST, or PSL? I currently play with Tech X-1. Do you think this string or Gamma Live Wire Pro would work with the Pure Storms?

I say your choice is between the PST and PSL versions of the GT racquets. The PS is underpowered and not stable enough at current specs and would need some custom modifications to get it nice and solid but would be the best for those wanting to take that route.

The PSL is underpowered compared to the Tour version but is quite solid and stable. This racquet hits with he most precision and would probably suit serve and volley players the best.

The Tour for me is just the beast of a racquet. I have demoed over 20 racquets with the specs just the for hell of it and keep coming back to this racquet. It offers the best blend of great control, solid in stock form, and the harder you swing this racquet, the mroe you will be rewarded with a heavy ball. Some suggest that it is a bit sluggish which may or may not be the case depending on whether you can wield the slightly heavier weight but if you ever hit with the Pro Staff 85 or 88, this is still lighter.

YesTennis
07-31-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks Parasailing. Appreciate you thoughts.

msalamon
08-02-2011, 05:51 AM
This is a very good description.

PP-how do you think the PST compares to the Donnay Plat 99?

Power Player
08-02-2011, 05:59 AM
It swings a lot heavier.

BC1
08-02-2011, 07:46 AM

I would suggest the regular PSGT, but you need to demo them. I'm at the same level and I have a PSGT. I like it a lot, but was curious about the PSTGT and how it would compare. I just got through demoing the tour for two days. Great racquet and yes it has more power then the regular PS due to the added weight, but after a while the weight become too much of a factor, and the racquet started feeling cumbersome in my hands. For me the PSGT seems to be the better fit for me spec wise. However with time the weight may not be as much a factor. The ideal specs would be something in the middle - around 11.5, 3-4 points head light, with a swing weight of around 325.

Not sure about the strings but I think any strings would do well, keep the tension low and power high and it should be fine.

Torres
05-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Stumbled across this thread as I'm potentially looking at the PST.

Had a hit with the PureStorm a couple of years ago but I really didn't like it. Just felt too weedy and with too much of HH balance with didn't in terms of manouverability.

The specs of the PST appeal more, though the the concern I have is the static weight. It's c343g strung, in stock form but gripped with SkinFeel, so that makes a 5g OG inevitable. Add a damp and that's 350g already....

Torres
05-08-2012, 05:09 AM

How have you found it since buying it?

Must be 10 months now?

superdave3
05-08-2012, 11:53 AM
I have only tried the PSGT, and it was too light for ground strokes, but a great racquet to volley with. I have not tried the PSTGT, but it should provide much more added punch to groundies. Since I play with a 6.1 PSC, I am used to a heavier racquet with more plow through on groundies anyway.

DonBot
05-08-2012, 12:23 PM
To the PS GT users, have any of you noticed a weird vibration sound when the ball strikes the upper hoop of the racquet? It sounds as if something is loose. Thanks

My tour pluses do this too and I can't figure out why...it's almost a mettalic sound....I have read other people complain about it. The other thing I noticed about this Raquet is mine won't hold tension to save their lives....I wonder I'd it is some grommet issue or related to the noise we are talking about.

infusion
05-09-2012, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the input, thread has been informative.
Bought myself a PS but can't seem to categorize it.
Specs are:

- 6 points HL
- weight 295g
- stiffness 69 RA
- swing weight 285 kgcm

Any ideas?