PDA

View Full Version : What allows you to play well with a Midsize?

Return_Ace
07-03-2005, 07:30 AM
What is it that lets you play well with a midsize racket?

1) Good Technique?
2) Good Strength?
3) Both?

I ask this since I'm looking to replace my Yonex Ti80 and was thinking of going for an LM Prestige, I've played the MP and find that it has a little too much power for me, so I was thinking about the Mid. Opinions?
The last time i hit with a midsized racket was at the pro shop open day at our club where i hit with an RDX500, i didn't mind the weight that much and found the sweetspot 60/70% of the time but struggled with getting the ball to have any pace and depth, but i think that my technique has improved as well as my strength. Also another reason I didn't like the RDX mid was it felt as if the ball was sliding off the racket and not biting, is this a racket or technique thing or what?
Any opinions appreciated..............

BreakPoint
07-03-2005, 07:41 AM
Both. BTW, that "sliding" feel is what endears people to the RDX 500 Mid. Old school feel! :D

Return_Ace
07-03-2005, 07:54 AM
Both. BTW, that "sliding" feel is what endears people to the RDX 500 Mid. Old school feel!

I thought that was what the TW review was refering to when they described it as "buttery". I personally hated the it, it felt like the ball would just slip off the racket without any dwell time, one man's feast is another man's poison i think the phrase goes.............

RafaN RichardG
07-03-2005, 09:22 AM
I like to call it skills ;)
anyway I think maybe it was the strings that made it feel like it was sliding. If you string it lower, it will stay on the stringbed longer. Also it will add some pop that you said you were lacking.
Hope this helps

fist pump
07-03-2005, 09:35 AM

1) Good Technique?
2) Good Strength?
3) Both?

I ask this since I'm looking to replace my Yonex Ti80 and was thinking of going for an LM Prestige, I've played the MP and find that it has a little too much power for me, so I was thinking about the Mid. Opinions?
The last time i hit with a midsized racket was at the pro shop open day at our club where i hit with an RDX500, i didn't mind the weight that much and found the sweetspot 60/70% of the time but struggled with getting the ball to have any pace and depth, but i think that my technique has improved as well as my strength. Also another reason I didn't like the RDX mid was it felt as if the ball was sliding off the racket and not biting, is this a racket or technique thing or what?
Any opinions appreciated..............

IMo opinion - when demo-ing a racquet - you should really try out different string tension of your favorite string .
if you demo - and just use the racquet on one tension - you dont really get to feel what the racquet can do.

when i demoed the rdx mid - if i did not change tensions - im not really gonna like it .
i went from 60 to 62 to 65 lbs - where 65 lbs is the range that made the racquet feel good to me .

yvp
07-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Strength and concentration.
concentration,really required to play with small framed racs(e.g.the tour 90)

Redflea
07-03-2005, 09:53 AM
The Yonex can deliver great spin...feel...control...power (if you bring a full, fast swing, or use your opponent's pace). My pro (plays in the 5.5 and open sections) says that I hit as heavy a ball w/the RDX mid as any opponent he faces. Of course, I don't do it as consistently as they do... :-)

Speedy_tennis
07-03-2005, 05:38 PM
good skils, you must ever hit with the center, the mid size frames not tolerate off center hits

AndrewD
07-03-2005, 05:43 PM
It takes skill to play well with any headsize so I would refute the notion that it takes more to play with a mid. One reason people struggle with more powerful, larger headed frames is because they don't have the skill to apply topspin for control.

The midsize, as it is usually heavier, does ask you to have reasonable strength and, in today's game, provide your own power. If you're looking to use one dont ask yourself 'can I rally with it?' ,ask yourself, 'can I finish off points as effectively with it?' There's no point in being able to hit a good ball with it if, when it comes time to deliver the knock out punch you can't generate enough power (without overswinging or throwing off your timing).

The LM Presige mid, which I was using until recently, is a lovely racquet with good power, nice feel, good spin potential (more so than past Prestige mids) but a very high swingweight that I found uncomfortable at net. Also, if you didn't like the Prestige midplus, why not try a low powered 95sq for comparison. Perhaps, when you try the LM Prestige mid, throw the Dunlop 200G in.

timmyboy
07-03-2005, 07:17 PM
what is the rdx's greatest advantage/strength?

BreakPoint
07-03-2005, 07:38 PM
what is the rdx's greatest advantage/strength?

For me it's the great feel. (Mid) :D

federer_nadal
07-03-2005, 08:00 PM
what you need to do to play well with a mid is watch (not like usual , like right into the middlees of the racket and back to your opponent) the ball and get your timing dead right. Thats what i did

Return_Ace
07-03-2005, 10:32 PM
It takes skill to play well with any headsize so I would refute the notion that it takes more to play with a mid. One reason people struggle with more powerful, larger headed frames is because they don't have the skill to apply topspin for control.

The midsize, as it is usually heavier, does ask you to have reasonable strength and, in today's game, provide your own power. If you're looking to use one dont ask yourself 'can I rally with it?' ,ask yourself, 'can I finish off points as effectively with it?' There's no point in being able to hit a good ball with it if, when it comes time to deliver the knock out punch you can't generate enough power (without overswinging or throwing off your timing).

The LM Presige mid, which I was using until recently, is a lovely racquet with good power, nice feel, good spin potential (more so than past Prestige mids) but a very high swingweight that I found uncomfortable at net. Also, if you didn't like the Prestige midplus, why not try a low powered 95sq for comparison. Perhaps, when you try the LM Prestige mid, throw the Dunlop 200G in.

Thnx Andy, as I stated in the previous thread that i was talking about this to you, I do love the Mid+, the feel, everything, but as I was playing again with it (my coach's racket) i found that it was a little too powerful. It was like i was hold back on my normal baseline rallies compared to what I'd play with my Ti-80. Oh re-reading your comment, I do know how to apply topspin and sure as long as you apply enough Topspin then you can play with any racket you want.............however i don't believe that you should play with a racket that you hold back on when you hit.
Do you think that the Mid has good spin potential Andrew? I was loooking at the spec and I thought that an 18*20 pattern on a 93sq.in would mean a very dense pattern not ideal for topspin...............

Indiantwist
07-04-2005, 05:18 AM
I didnt like the rdx 500. I felt it lacked feel and one is made to really work hard on shots and get the spin. Even after the results werent that great. I got much better shots with less effort on other racquets.

AndrewD
07-04-2005, 06:25 AM
Return Ace,

I posted that up as we do have to remember that some people who come onto the message board are new to the sport so don't want them to get the wrong impression that skill is directly related to headsize. That could lead them to making an unwise choice (based on ego, misinformation etc).

Anyway, I prefer the mid as well. As Ive said in other threads I have no wrist trouble when I use the mid but get a dull-sharp pain using 98sq+ (that includes the vaunted POG OS which I find the worst culprit). So, for me it's better, although Id still like that little extra power and am currently looking around for a good option. Actually saw another thread asking for comparisons of the 200G, PS 95 and PS Tour 95 and I'll be curious to see what people say as they're definate options for me. You got any impressions of those 3?

With the Head LM Prestige mid, I did find it to have better spin potential than previous Prestige models but it is still a long way short of something with a more open 16x19, 16x20 or 16x18 pattern. I got very good slice on approach shots and serve but no, topspin wasn't as potent as with other racquets. I'd have managed as I don't use excessive amounts of top, however, I do find an open pattern a bit more comfortable. Still, good power and good control. My main beef, as I said, is the swingweight. Too high for me at the net and, perhaps, a bit high if you like to generate a lot of racquet head speed on shots (to create topspin). Could be one reason why the pros are staying away and sticking with the lower PC600 or much lower (in terms of swingweight) i-Prestige (which I wish Id gone to instead).

Is there any chance you could demo the i-Prestige or PC600 as well as the LM ?

jonas-the-ball-basher
07-04-2005, 07:22 AM

1) Good Technique?
2) Good Strength?
3) Both?

I ask this since I'm looking to replace my Yonex Ti80 and was thinking of going for an LM Prestige, I've played the MP and find that it has a little too much power for me

You may like the feel and manouvrebility of the mid better, but to say that the mp has too much power could not be true!
Many Atp pro's play with mp racquets, and they don't seem to have problems with the 'extra' power they offer!

Return_Ace
07-04-2005, 07:31 AM
I posted that up as we do have to remember that some people who come onto the message board are new to the sport so don't want them to get the wrong impression that skill is directly related to headsize. That could lead them to making an unwise choice (based on ego, misinformation etc).

hehe, This could lead to "MY HEAD SIZE IS SMALLER THAN YOURS SO I'M THE BETTER PLAYER" :).

Anyway, I prefer the mid as well. As Ive said in other threads I have no wrist trouble when I use the mid but get a dull-sharp pain using 98sq+ (that includes the vaunted POG OS which I find the worst culprit). So, for me it's better, although Id still like that little extra power and am currently looking around for a good option. Actually saw another thread asking for comparisons of the 200G, PS 95 and PS Tour 95 and I'll be curious to see what people say as they're definate options for me. You got any impressions of those 3?

Unfortunately I have not played with those rackets you mention, though a friend of mine has a 200G and he plays pretty well with it (I lost to him 6-4, 4-6, 4-6 :))but thats not really anything to go by.................The closest I've come to playing with one of the rackets you mention is an ncode 6.1 95, which i believe to be the successor of the PS and PS Tour 95, An average racket for me, nice power and control, just felt too stiff for my liking.

With the Head LM Prestige mid, I did find it to have better spin potential than previous Prestige models but it is still a long way short of something with a more open 16x19, 16x20 or 16x18 pattern. I got very good slice on approach shots and serve but no, topspin wasn't as potent as with other racquets. I'd have managed as I don't use excessive amounts of top, however, I do find an open pattern a bit more comfortable. Still, good power and good control. My main beef, as I said, is the swingweight. Too high for me at the net and, perhaps, a bit high if you like to generate a lot of racquet head speed on shots (to create topspin). Could be one reason why the pros are staying away and sticking with the lower PC600 or much lower (in terms of swingweight) i-Prestige (which I wish Id gone to instead).

I actually tried the Mid when I went to my pro-shop today. I hit against one of those rebound net things, i know its not the best way to try out a racket but it suffices for the basics. I really really liked the racket, the feel and the power level, but since it was against a net I'm not really sure about buying it due to a lack of "proper" testing. The weight was definitely an issue though, after a few minutes of hitting i could really feel the weight of the racket, it looks like i'm gonna have to work out more if i'm gonna handle that for a 3-set match! But then I was wondering if the fact that I injured my wrist on Saturday and my Shoulder on Sunday contributed to the early onset of fatigue in my arm?
Another Problem is that they don't have a Demo for me to try, they have one of the MP but the Mid it seems is not popular enough to aquire a Demo of.

Is there any chance you could demo the i-Prestige or PC600 as well as the LM ?

I was thinking about an i.Prestige, and I did see one on **** that i was thinking of buying, except they didn't reply to my e-mail concerning the rackets grip size, and then the racket was sold by the time i went looking for it again. Unfortunately since i.Prestiges are discontinued, to get one properly i would need to fork out 100 which is $176 USD or $235 AUD. And then if I don't like it then i have to sell it where I'll never get the full amount back.
Regarding the PC600, I have seen loads on ****, however they either come from the US or Germany. The problem with the US being the random custom taxes coming into the UK and the problem with Germany being I don't speak german.................

Could someone actually compare the rackets for me? My description of the LM Prestige is:
Solid
Powerful
A Lot Of Control
Heavy

joe sch
07-04-2005, 07:32 AM
Good question, I think the answer is good technique.
I have noticed as the racket head sizes have increased from 75 .. 85 .. 95 .. 105, the larger sweetspots have allowed players to hit with more and more open stances which leads to less consistent technique. The reason being that an open stance allow the hips and shoulder to swing more accross the body rather than more forward inline with the true follow thru. With the larger head rackets, sweetspots, lighter and stiffer frames, this open technique can be very effective as the time to get around for fh & bh windups in minimized. The drawback with open stances is it leads to less accuracy and more hip and shoulder injuries. I conclude that to play top level tennis with an 85 midsize, a player needs much better "classic technique"

NoBadMojo
07-04-2005, 07:35 AM
what allows you to play well with a midsize is to have the ability to hit a small sweetspot consistently and to have the technique to swing midsized frames fast enough to consistently make contact out in front and swing them fast enough to create as much spin as you want. also you have no margin for error because it is really easy to cough up a weak short ball with a midsized frame if your opponent is good enough to pressure you..and a decent player can summarily put away short weak balls. even the pros are going larger headed and lighter. midsized frames just dont make sense for the way the game is these days, and that's why so few of them are being made these days...they just arent appropriate and they dont sell.

Return_Ace
07-04-2005, 07:36 AM
You may like the feel and manouvrebility of the mid better, but to say that the mp has too much power could not be true!
Many Atp pro's play with mp racquets, and they don't seem to have problems with the 'extra' power they offer!

I only said a little..............as in a little little..........ok not that little. When I meant too much power I meant compared to my Ti-80, I'm looking for a racket that has a solid feel of the MP but the power of my Ti-80 if not less. Thats why I'm thinking about the mid.
You're right about the pros, I mean even Roddick plays with what some people class as a "Tweener/Pro" Racket and he seems to be doing fine, but then pros are pros...............

TennsDog
07-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Technique, then timing, then strength. Strength plays a factor in using a midsize frame, but technique and timing are much more important.

Return_Ace
07-05-2005, 07:58 AM
I conclude that to play top level tennis with an 85 midsize, a player needs much better "classic technique"

When you mean "classic technique" do you mean like Closed stance FH's and BH's? I do an open stance forehand, closed when i want to get to the net and a closed stance backhand, but open when rushed. Do you recomend a midsize? oh for an 85sq.in racket, do you have the same thoughts about a 93sq.in racket (89.5sq.in if ur being pedantic).

Technique, then timing, then strength. Strength plays a factor in using a midsize frame, but technique and timing are much more important.

thnx I'll keep that in mind........