PDA

View Full Version : Do I get a heavier racket (YouTek) - Will it be hard to adapt?

JSuggy
07-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Hi All,

Currently use a Prince Speedport Black - Love the racket as it's a heavier head weight but with a lighter swing weight due to the airport holes etc.. Used it for years and have a fairly average game. I sometimes struggle with control when going for the winners however (like most people!!!)

Either way, haven't thought much about changing but my club had a Head demo day and I tried out the djokovic youtek racket for fun which has a much heavier head weight. When I picked it up I even though "wow" and didn't think I'd be much good. To my surprise, when playing, I was so much more comfortable with going for aggressive shots and found the results quite surprising. I enjoyed playing with it, felt comfortable, and could add extra power to my swing for better deeper shots without seeing the ball flying out.

I did start to feel it in my arms after about 20 minutes of consistent hitting however. I'm not the fittest/strongest in the world and as I work (a lot), putting in a lot of time and effort to improving my cardio/strength is rather difficult. So the questions:
1) Should I upgrade
2) If I upgrade, will I struggle with muscle injuries till I put in the work to build up my muscles or will this come natural while playing?

I play 3 times a week ish at a club and semi-competitive standard (4.0 I think would be the USTA equivalent rating though I'm in England!)

Thanks for any advice

Josh

Fuji
07-26-2011, 08:34 AM
I've been playing with heavy sticks since I was around 14? 14 year old kids aren't the biggest people in the world LOL!

As long as you put in the time to actually PLAY with the stick, your arms will get a bit more muscle mass and it shouldn't be problem. Having a heavier stick in the bag, won't help you much if you don't put the time in to build with it! :)

(I use a 14.0oz Prostaff Classic 6.1, and a few 13.1oz Prestige Mid)

-Fuji

fuzz nation
07-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Your situation is not completely unfamiliar to me. Here's my story...

A few years back, I got into advancing my skills after growing up a serve 'n volleyer. I needed to primarily re-tool my strokes to evolve into a more competent all-court player, but I also started looking at different frames. My old ProStaffs were wonderful for S&V work, but also quite stiff and powerful from the backcourt. The big revelation came for me when I tried out some softer racquets with more control.

So I got myself a pair of really heavy LM Prestige mids which were also very soft and "dead" (these weigh 13.4 oz. after tuning). My initial outings with these tree branches were rather humbling - my arm and shoulder could only handle about 20 minutes with these things. When I did get a good swing on the ball, my experience was a lot like yours in that I could completely murder the ball. The heft and stability in the racquet made for very predictable contact.

I put in the hard yards and kept after it on the practice courts, since I could tell that the problem was in my technique, not the gear. I had to fundamentally learn to power my strokes from the ground up. This took some serious work and dedication over the better part of about two months, but it was the process I needed to undertake to become a more complete player. Now when I use those racquets for longer sessions, I feel fatigue in my legs, not my arm or shoulder. Those bigger muscles are doing the work that they ought to, but I've also learned better footwork, a quicker setup, and more advanced swing timing.

Get the new racquet, but DON'T use it for competition until you've learned to use the right mechanics and timing that you need to hit the ball well. The old racquet will probably still come in handy. Your serve may probably need a longer, more fluid progression with a heavier racquet, too. I actually tore an abdominal muscle using those super heavy frames I mentioned in a match when I wasn't in good form and my motion was rushed. Plan on putting in some time and effort on the practice courts so that you can learn to use that racquet with good technique before you let it fly in competition.

It will probably take some effort to adapt, but the payoff could honestly be profound. Just don't rush it.

rp42195
07-26-2011, 08:46 AM
I come from Prince Black 100 to Prince Rebel 95. In the beginning I was concerned about the weight but in fact it was not a problem at all and my game really improved as my swing has being force to improved too.

The Rebel is easier on my arm than the Black once my muscles get used to the extra weight (a week or so), I think that is because of the lower stiffness of the Rebel frame.

JSuggy
07-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the comments - Certainly talking me more and more into getting the heavier racket to improve my game in the long term as long as I put the effort in!

Now I'll just have to figure out what strings to get ;) Thanks guys!

got spin?
07-26-2011, 09:07 AM
As soon as you get used to the heavier stick it will do a world of benefits for you. More spin, plow through, better returns and heavier shot. When I switched a few years back from the old Hybrid Hornet O3 from prince to the Pure Storm LTD (yellow) I went from a 4.5 to a 5.0. How much of that you can say the racket did I dont know, but I know play with a Head Youtek Radical Pro 13.2 ounces strung and 4 pts head heavy and it helps me sooo much on groundies and serves.

got spin?
07-26-2011, 09:10 AM
But the Djok stock stick is very head light, like 5 pts I think. Put a little lead around the 10:30 and 2:30 positions and slot on the 12 position. If that dosent bring it even, put some under the bridge.

kimguroo
07-26-2011, 09:39 AM
I played speedport black for a month then switched to speedport tour (320g) because the racket has too much power. I always thought tour was a little heavy so changed for Japanese rebel 95 (310g). I still have those rackets and use often. I tried slightly more power racket which is Japanese rebel 105 (295g). powerwise it was perfect for me. I thought I will use both rebel 95 and 105 for a long time and actually I did not try any rackets almost two years. Recently, I tried my friend demo IG speed mp 16x19. with the racket, my serves are much better so I decided to buy one. In the beginning, my serves are better but that was it. I can't hit any shots with the rackets so I thought about getting rid of it but after a month of works, I can hit much better forehands with the racket. fortunately, I've never felt the racket is stiff.
a few weeks ago, my friend found old vintage head racket which is over 350g with 80" head size and I was so curious about heavier racket because I was very sensitive about weight of rackets. at that point, I did not think I can handle heavy rackets. I was very curious about heavier racket at that point and I found someone tried to sell BLX six one tour in very good price so I decided to buy it for fun. I felt my arm and shoulder was tired in the beginning but last week, I played very competitive match with BLX racket. never thought I will use fed racket hahaha.

if you have good sense of understanding techniques, weight of speedport black to IG speed might not be big factor in my opinion.
I am big fan of prince and started playing tennis with port technology so I am more comfortable with muted feeling of rackets and low swingweight. when I tried IG speed, swingweight and racket weight was not bothered much. also I can generate more faster swing speed with it. I don't think it's the racket. at that point I found how to hit better shots.

nowadays, IG speed is my main racket (BLX might be main soon hahaha. I like heavy racket now). 30g heavier racket might be challenging but 10-20g might not be big factor.

get the racket and use it for a while and see if you really like or not.
so far I like my IG speed.

captainobvious
07-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Theres always the Speed MP 300 if the 315 is a bit hefty. I think its a terrific racquet. BTW- Did you get a chance to do some serving with the MP315? Serving has proved much more difficult for me as the racquet weight goes up...

thug the bunny
07-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Yes to what Fuji and Fuzz said, and you yourself noticed one of the main advantages of a heavy player's frame - that you can hit out with much greater control. You will also find much more feedback regarding the quality of contact on each shot. All of this will encourage development of a real tennis swing instead of stabs and pokes.

I also followed a typical progression from light overpowered to heavy underpowered sticks. My first player's stick was a Bab PSL, and I liked it so much I went straight to a KPS88. The level of my game increased dramatically. I now play with my 88, a Redondo, and a YTK Pres Mid. Next will be the AG4D100. (I eventually want to own most of the players sticks for posterity...)

tnsanydy
07-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi All,

Currently use a Prince Speedport Black - Love the racket as it's a heavier head weight but with a lighter swing weight due to the airport holes etc.. Used it for years and have a fairly average game. I sometimes struggle with control when going for the winners however (like most people!!!)

Either way, haven't thought much about changing but my club had a Head demo day and I tried out the djokovic youtek racket for fun which has a much heavier head weight. When I picked it up I even though "wow" and didn't think I'd be much good. To my surprise, when playing, I was so much more comfortable with going for aggressive shots and found the results quite surprising. I enjoyed playing with it, felt comfortable, and could add extra power to my swing for better deeper shots without seeing the ball flying out.

I did start to feel it in my arms after about 20 minutes of consistent hitting however. I'm not the fittest/strongest in the world and as I work (a lot), putting in a lot of time and effort to improving my cardio/strength is rather difficult. So the questions:
1) Should I upgrade
2) If I upgrade, will I struggle with muscle injuries till I put in the work to build up my muscles or will this come natural while playing?

I play 3 times a week ish at a club and semi-competitive standard (4.0 I think would be the USTA equivalent rating though I'm in England!)

Thanks for any advice

Josh

I say go for it! Demo it for a week to find out if it's really for you. Then again, don't limit yourself with what you can do- it's just a matter of pushing yourself to the next level! Here's a trick that I do before each tennis session- aside from my normal warm up routine, I do at least 2 sets of pushups (do as much as you can then stop when you start to struggle to push up)-this conditions my arms and right after, my Wilson Prostaff 6.0 85 feels much lighter in my hands ( it's like muscle confusion that it thinks it's still lifting your whole upper body). Works for me all the time!:)

Backhanded Compliment
07-26-2011, 01:39 PM
When i came back to the game (after 17 years) I started off with a pure drive then graduated to a Speedport Black Longbody (developed a semiwestern forehand too)... but things really took off when I went to a much heavier and more headlight Prestige MP. At first my footwork wasnt good enough but by my second year with the SP Blacks I knew I needed more precision and suddenly my backhand is as fearsome as it was in college.

Answer... yes heavier frames are better but work into it slowly. I made my change in January of this year so the indoor season was a good time for me.

TennisLovaLova
07-27-2011, 01:36 AM
I used to play with a head liquidimetal 8, than I switched to liquidmetal 4, than straight to the KPS88 and now I only play with my K90 tour.
impossible is nothing!
changing to a heavier racquet helped me improve the way I move on the court instead of relying on a easy forgiving racquet

thug the bunny
07-27-2011, 05:03 AM
I used to use a LM 4. Gave it to my wife. I hit with it the other day for giggles, and OMG what a difference. The thing is a spring loaded cannon. I could really see how these granny sticks not only promote, but require, a short abreviated stab type of swing. I couldn't keep the ball in. I will even go so far as to propose that granny sticks can actually keep players from attaining a proper swing.

JSuggy
07-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks guys.. will most likely buy this:
http://www.**********.com/shop/tennis/tennis-rackets/head/youtek-ig/head-youtek-ig-speed-mp-18-20-836627.html

And get the synthetic gut crosses string upgrade. Seems like a solid choice :)

Although as I'm moving to San Fran in a month or 2 I may hold off till then

JSuggy
07-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Thats the new IG Speed Djokovic racket 18x20

TennisLovaLova
07-28-2011, 07:32 AM
I used to play with Head, I dont like the feel anymore
I tried the Fischer models, quite good actually