PDA

View Full Version : Feeling sick when working out

Mikael
04-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Does this happen to other people too? I suspect it does, but in my case I just feel sick too regularly when working out and it is a real pain in the arse, as I can't give the workout my all... Generally the nausea gets to me about halfway through my program, especially after particularly tough series that I have trouble completing.

What are the reasons for this? Food might be one, yet I always try to strike a balance between not going to the gym with my stomach full and not going totally energyless...

Any advice appreciated

chad shaver
04-26-2004, 12:26 PM
Go hurl. Come back and finish your workout. That's what I do.

tennisbody
04-26-2004, 12:59 PM
Improper breathing habits force negative oxygen exchange therefore you start feeling sleepy and drowsy. Lower your weight , speed-up your workout 15-20 reps, inhale on the way down, exhale on the way up. Your breathing pattern should be rythmic with your workout. Always warm up before workout and streach between sets.

tennisbody
04-26-2004, 01:21 PM
As for eating habits newer eat simple sugars before practice, have some hot beverage with coffeine before ( helps your warm up), keep your water bottle handy , sip between sets, keep your pace going ( don't talk to others), keep your sessions short 45 min. max and keep your body sweating by wearing proper clothes.

Mikael
04-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Many thanks for all the info, tennisbody!
15-20 reps is probably not the way to go though, since my main objective is building muscle bulk. I'm doing 3 series of 8 reps per exercise right now. I always make sure my form is perfect, so I don't think the weights are too heavy...
But you may well be right about my breathing habits, which I don't pay much attention to.
Would simple sugars for instance be soda, chocolate bars, etc.? I thought they were a good source of quick energy... What should I eat then to keep me going through the work out without making me feel sick?
As for keeping the water bottle handy, sometimes I'm almost afraid to drink too much. Is drinking 400ml of water during a 1 hour workout too much?
Thanks

Phil
04-26-2004, 06:09 PM
Go hurl. Come back and finish your workout. That's what I do.

Hard Core, Chad! You would like my old H.S. football coach.

chad shaver
04-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Heck, I thought most everyone did that. No point in wasting good workout time.

Kobble
04-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Chad and Phil must come from those gyms that have the puke bucket next to the squat rack. If you are getting nausious after sets of squatting it happens. Many people hold their breath too long when knocking out reps. If you hold your breath for consecutive reps in any lift you need to change that. Although holding your breath is not the only reason for nausea. If my memory serves me correctly, I thought I read an article which suggested that the nausea felt during squatting is a result of higher acidity in the blood and stomach, along with oxygen deprivation from working such big muscles to failure. I remember doing a marathon squat routine a while back, and I was lucky get to the toilet in time without falling over from the dizziness and fatigue. If you are not holding your breath, working to failure, or eating poorly, you may have to see a doctor to get an answer.

Mikael
04-27-2004, 03:03 AM
Hurling seems like a good idea but it just won't happen to me during my workouts, dunno. Not enough of anything in my stomach to hurl?!

But yeah the breathing thing, definitely. Tomorrow I'll concentrate on breathing properly and see if it makes any difference. Sometimes I work to failure, I thought that was a prerequisite for gaining mass...

Frodo Baggins
04-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Hurling Seems like the worst thing you can do to your body.If your feeling sick when working out your body is telling you somthing Pace your self that helps...Seems to me your working to hard or over working yourself...Thats why you feel sick .. :) Hope this helps....

Ronaldo
04-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Mik, you must be handling heavy weights to maxout your reps at 8. Heavy weight will induce projectile vomitting. Just bring a pail and plenty of Windex next workout.

Kobble
04-27-2004, 04:29 PM
Working to failure is definitely not required to gain mass, or strength for that matter, but you do get a better muscle pump when you do so. Many Gurus and bodybuilders suggest lifting for a muscle pump, because they feel like that means the muscle tissue has been stressed enough to stimulate growth. The problem I see with lifting to failure is that the muscle soreness you experienced afterward makes it difficult to perform in sports. I myself, alternate between lifting to failure and staying fresh with long rest periods, because I want a balance of strength and muscular development. Near maximum weight with low reps and long rest periods is ideal for building your one rep max. For that reason, many olympic lifters never do their lifts to failure. The best rule to stick to when looking for more muscle is that the best routine is the one your not on. It means that most people stick to a set and rep scheme so long that they plateau, and a point of diminishing returns is quickly reached. It is a good idea to change your set and rep scheme every month or two.

AAAA
04-28-2004, 06:28 AM
If you have normal health (no medical conditions) 3 reasons:

1) Doing too much too soon. Increases in weight / reps/ intensity should be gradual to give the body time to adjust.

2) Working out on an empty stomach.

3) Fuel up with carbs at least 90min before working out. Avoid fatty food (burgers, pizzas, cheese , sauces, etc) before a workout.

Mikael
04-28-2004, 09:22 AM
Ok guys, this morning I had a really great workout.

I focused on my breathing rhythm during exercises, didn't eat anything in the 40mns before working out, and maybe as a result didn't experience any sort of nausea or dizziness. It felt great. I wasn't on an empty stomach either as I had had a solid breakfast about 1h30 beforehand.
That seems like a winning combination...

I also modified my routine slightly (had been doing exactly the same things for like 3 months) and as a result the workout felt much more rewarding... I felt like I really "hit" my muscles the right way, and tomorrow I'll probably be totally sore.
Muscle soreness isn' t a problem for me as bodybuilding is the only physical activity I indulge in right now. In fact, from my experience, I tend to think that a good workout has to be one that makes me feel sore.
When I don't feel sore anymore it's a sign I've reached a plateau and therefore need to change my routine/number of sets/of repetitions.

Thanks for everything guys!

tennisbody
04-30-2004, 12:29 PM
You're welcome. By the way if you want to combine bodybuilding with tennis I suggest that instead of going heavy focus on dynamic aspect of your lift. What I mean by this is you should start each exercise with two 15-20 rep warm out sets. Light weight, full range motion, pumping feel. This creates your brain muscle connection. Next start with weight you can lift 10 times in dynamic powerful motion ( but not jerky). Build your weight up as long as you can keep your speed constant. As soon as your lifting speed slows down and you loose dynamic stop going up and continue with 1-2 more sets. Then change an exercise and start again. I can't tell you how many exercises you should perform because everybody is different but keep in mind you should complete your workout in 45-60 min.