PDA

View Full Version : Donnay X-P Dual

captainobvious
07-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Since the X-series thread is now of monumental proportions, I figured I'm better off just posting a new thread for this different frame. Im very interested in the Donnay XP Dual frame as I like the specs...

Head size: 102sqi
Unstrung Weight: 295g
Unstrung Balance: 315mm
Strung Weight: 11.0oz
Strung Balance: 6 Points HL
Strung Swing Wt: 310
String Pattern: 16x19
Stiffness (RDC): 59
Grip: Cushion
Rec. String Tension: 55lbs (+/- 5)
Beam Width: 19/23/18mm**
Length: 27
Technology: Dual XeneCore

Can any users please post your thoughts on this frame, what you did and didnt like about it...sweetspot size/power/spin/stability, etc. Thanks!

Im considering picking one of these up to try out. I dont know of any place nearby or online that demo's these so I might have to bite the bullet... :(

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/DonnayXPDual.jpg

captainobvious
07-26-2011, 01:23 PM
I'll be the guinnea pig...ordered one with the weight customization kit. Lets see what this thing can do...

Miami Tiburon
07-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I think you will be happy with the frame, very solid hit, and with the Xenecore very comfortable on the arm. I recommend a soft poly or multi string, seems to play best with that combo. Enjoy the racquet.

captainobvious
07-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks MT. I was thinking of trying Head FXP or some NXT

captainobvious
07-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Well, racquet arrived yesterday (Thanks Donnay! wow)

I did get a chance to get some hitting in with it so I'll give my initial thoughts, but I'll need some more time with it to get it dialed in.

First off, these appear to be very well made racquets. Clean, no crazy graphics, nice paint jobs, etc. The finish on the racquet is smooth, yet lightly grippy/tacky. It reminds me of the soft rubbery feel some cell phone shells have. The racquet has a nice balance to it and came with the weight accessory kit (this is a $30 charge FYI). A 5 gram and 10 gram weighted butt cap, and 3 weight strips for the hoop. Buyer beware though that the X-P Dual does not have a channel for the weight strips at the top of the hoop, only on the sides. If you want weight at 12, just use some lead tape.

This racquet reminds me of a mix between the Volkl Organix x10 and the Head IG Instinct. The power is on par with the Instinct, but it has more control and more spin (at least with the string setup the racquet has on it which appears to be a generic string mix of poly mains and syn gut crosses). I was able to get some good whip and power on serves and some very good spin too. For a first time out with this racquet, it immediately felt pretty comfortable in this reguard which is unusual for me. It usually takes some time to adjust to a different balance/feeling racquet. Forehands I was able to generate alot more topspin than usual. This racquet can really impart some spin on the ball! For comparison, I'd say its *close* to the EXO3 Tour Team, which is a spin monster.
As for comfort, Im happy to say that I got no shoulder pain and felt no vibrations/shock from the racquet during play, even without the dampener.
For an inital outting, Im pretty impressed with this stick. Im not a great player, but Ive been searching for a while now for a racquet that felt comfortable for me in all areas and really felt like an extension of the arm so that I can stop focusing on a racquet and focus more on improving my game. This is certainly a stick I could be happy with for a long time based on my initial impressions. I'm going to give it some time and see how it works for me.

I would say this racquet would be good for someone looking for a good tweener that has great spin, control and provides more power than a players frame.

And of course, a few pics...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/IMG_0454.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/IMG_0453.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/IMG_0455.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/IMG_0456.jpg

captainobvious
07-28-2011, 08:36 AM
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/IMG_0457.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/IMG_0452.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/IMG_0460.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/IMG_0458.jpg

captainobvious
07-28-2011, 08:37 AM
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/IMG_0459.jpg

Power Player
07-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Donnay PJs rule.

BobFL
07-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Matte black (http://www.nextconceptcars.com/wp-content/matte-black-rolls-royce-phantom.jpg) = win imho :)

captainobvious
07-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Matte black (http://www.nextconceptcars.com/wp-content/matte-black-rolls-royce-phantom.jpg) = win imho :)

I agree, this thing looks really slick. Understated and classy. :)

cayzi
07-28-2011, 04:20 PM
wow. definitely let me know about that stick. :)

whomad15
07-28-2011, 10:12 PM
looks awesome
nice weight/balance also.

captainobvious
07-29-2011, 06:29 AM
cayzi- I think this is one that you'd like. The weight/balance are right up your alley with the ones you've been demoing and liking. Its a 102sq in head size and has, I'd say medium power. The sweet spot is larger than the Donnay X-Orange 99 and X Dual White (which BTW is another really great racquet for someone with a bit longer of a swing than me)

It just has a really solid, yet plush feel to it. Unfortunately, I dont think any online retailers have these to demo. I had to take a chance on it but Im glad I did...Its a great racquet.

cayzi
07-29-2011, 06:33 AM
I have a feeling that all X-Dual line is low powered racket.

I doubt that I will order Donnay except of they have some kind a shop in EU. If I order it from USA I will pay import tax and the racket itself will not e cheap.

captainobvious
07-29-2011, 06:48 AM

Yeah, I'd say Low..maybe Low/Medium for *some* of them. The X Dual Silver is actually really, really nice. It was fun to take fast full cracks at the ball and still have them land in :) I just cant do that consistently yet especially when playing players at higher levels that me who will have faster paced balls. Id need more time to setup and get the swing needed. Not a huge problem with the x8 or the X-P Dual though for me as I can still get good power on the ball when needed. The XP I'd say is a little lower powered than the x8 in its current string configuration but tweaking it Im sure I could find just the right setup.

Whereabouts do you live btw ?

cayzi
07-29-2011, 07:29 AM
How much is 102 bigger compare to x8?

captainobvious
07-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Its 100sq in vs 102 so not a huge difference

LawnChairGeneral
07-29-2011, 11:12 AM

Here is the text from the Donnay website:

With our new X-Dual and X-P Dual lines, we now offer players three distinctive choices: X-Series for players with fast full swings who provide their own power and are looking for more touch and feel off the stringbed; the new X-Dual racquets for more pace and depth from the baseline for players with medium-to-fast swings; and X-P Duals for ultimate power for players with short-to-medium swings.

Generally speaking, I interpret this to mean:
X-Series - low power
X-Dual - low to medium power
X-P Dual - medium to high power

I own the x-dual silver and love the stick. It is very comfortable provided that you have the proper form.

cayzi
07-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Its 100sq in vs 102 so not a huge difference

Any good news from testing it compare to x8?

cayzi
07-31-2011, 04:08 PM
The X Dual Silver is actually really, really nice.

I am interested in this frames what do you think - I can not test it.

X-Dual Silver
X- Dual gold
X-P Dual

If I understand what donnay have written on their web page it goes like this:

X-Dual Silver: do not require a full perfect swing but is more on control side than power.

X-Dual Gold: require full perfect swing, low powered but control side frame

X-P Dual: something in between, because bigger head size a little more power than silver and gold, less control but still some because of lower beam like competition.

:-?

Thanks!

captainobvious
08-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Here is the text from the Donnay website:

With our new X-Dual and X-P Dual lines, we now offer players three distinctive choices: X-Series for players with fast full swings who provide their own power and are looking for more touch and feel off the stringbed; the new X-Dual racquets for more pace and depth from the baseline for players with medium-to-fast swings; and X-P Duals for ultimate power for players with short-to-medium swings.

Generally speaking, I interpret this to mean:
X-Series - low power
X-Dual - low to medium power
X-P Dual - medium to high power

I own the x-dual silver and love the stick. It is very comfortable provided that you have the proper form.

I'd only change that to say that the X-P Dual would be medium, definitely not on the high side of power. More low-medium/medium.

If you had a power scale of 1-10 Id say the X-Dual Silver 99 is about a 3 and the X-P Dual a 4-5. In comparison, Id rate the Instinct IG MP as a 6 and the Volkl x8 as a 6.

captainobvious
08-01-2011, 10:02 AM
I am interested in this frames what do you think - I can not test it.

X-Dual Silver
X- Dual gold
X-P Dual

If I understand what donnay have written on their web page it goes like this:

X-Dual Silver: do not require a full perfect swing but is more on control side than power.

X-Dual Gold: require full perfect swing, low powered but control side frame

X-P Dual: something in between, because bigger head size a little more power than silver and gold, less control but still some because of lower beam like competition.

:-?

Thanks!

I'd say thats pretty accurate. XP Dual has more power that the X-Dual line and the control is still very good. Also has more spin potential with the larger headsize and more open string pattern.

From another post I made...

Most power:
IG Instinct/Volkl x8 tie
XP Dual
X Dual Silver 99

Most Control:
X Dual Silver 99
XP Dual/Volkl x8 tie
IG Instinct

Best Serves:
XP Dual
IG Instinct
Volkl x8
X Dual Silver 99

Best Groundstrokes:
Volkl x8
XP Dual
IG Instinct
X Dual Silver 99

Spin/Slice Potential:
XP Dual
volkl x8
IG Instinct/X Dual Silver 99 tie

Based on your comments for the racquets you've hit, I'd say the best bets are the x8 and the XP Dual. They are both excellent sticks.

cayzi
08-01-2011, 11:35 AM
I'd say thats pretty accurate. XP Dual has more power that the X-Dual line and the control is still very good. Also has more spin potential with the larger headsize and more open string pattern.

Based on your comments for the racquets you've hit, I'd say the best bets are the x8 and the XP Dual. They are both excellent sticks.

Thanks Captain!

Did you manage to try X-Dual GOLD racket? What about X10 (295) - is it out of your list, low powered for you?

captainobvious
08-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Havent tried the X-Dual Gold, and probably wont. Ive used the X Dual Silver 99, X-Orange and XP Dual and while they are all nice, the XP Dual is the best suited for me. The Volkl x10 295 is a very nice racquet but requires a faster/longer swing than I have developed yet, so the x8 is a much more suitable frame for me. Thanks!

cayzi
08-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Havent tried the X-Dual Gold, and probably wont. Ive used the X Dual Silver 99, X-Orange and XP Dual and while they are all nice, the XP Dual is the best suited for me. The Volkl x10 295 is a very nice racquet but requires a faster/longer swing than I have developed yet, so the x8 is a much more suitable frame for me. Thanks!

What I do not want on XP Dual is that head would be to big and clumsy. Is it?

XDual Silver requires mode medium - full stroke so I would guess that gold is even more demanding.

cayzi
08-01-2011, 01:19 PM
captainobvious:

Do you have option to take a picture of a head x8 vs. xp dual? thanks in advance!

tlm
08-01-2011, 03:31 PM

I doubt that I will order Donnay except of they have some kind a shop in EU. If I order it from USA I will pay import tax and the racket itself will not e cheap.

It is really just the opposite the x-dual line of rackets are high powered. I have demoed most of them and the gold had pretty good control, but even the platinum 94 had a lot of power for a racket of that weight and size.

The silver was close to the x99 white in specs so i was really wanting it to work for me but it was way to powerful. The silver light is better but i have to string at around 60lbs. to get the control i need.

Everybody has their own power level preference, but these rackets would be very difficult to rate as low powered.

cayzi
08-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks tlm.

What would be your recommendation/conservation comparing Gold and Silver (99 inch head size)?

tlm
08-01-2011, 03:40 PM
The gold swings a little heavier, but has good control and feel. The silver is lighter and still has a good feel, but for me it was much to powerful.

Mig1NC
08-01-2011, 06:37 PM
The gold swings a little heavier, but has good control and feel. The silver is lighter and still has a good feel, but for me it was much to powerful.

So even though the gold has more mass the silver was more powerfull?

tlm
08-01-2011, 07:23 PM
So even though the gold has more mass the silver was more powerfull?

The silver was much more powerful, not even close. Just because it has more mass does not mean it will be more powerful. A lot of that depends on the level of player and their strokes. An advanced player can get a lot of power out of a heavy small headed racket, where the average player would have a hard time getting enough power out of the same stick.

But a lighter more powerful racket would not be suited for the more developed player, they would have to really cut back or add a lot more spin to have any kind of decent control with a light power racket. So there is more than just mass that goes into how much power a racket has.

msalamon
08-02-2011, 05:59 AM

Do you find the X8 to 'feel' heavy for any reason? I'm using a plat 99 Donnay but thinking of switching to X8

captainobvious
08-02-2011, 08:05 AM
What I do not want on XP Dual is that head would be to big and clumsy. Is it?

XDual Silver requires mode medium - full stroke so I would guess that gold is even more demanding.

No, the XP Dual headsize of 102sq in does not 'feel' any larger when swinging than a 98 or 100 size, so no worries there.

captainobvious:

Do you have option to take a picture of a head x8 vs. xp dual? thanks in advance!

Sure, I'll see if I can get a shot up for you shortly.

Do you find the X8 to 'feel' heavy for any reason? I'm using a plat 99 Donnay but thinking of switching to X8

I was expecting the x8 to feel a bit heavier than Im used to because of the 11.4 ounce static weight, but it honestly surprised me. Despite feeling slightly more evenly balanced than the 4pts HL stated, it was very comfortable and not "heavy" feeling at all. I'd definitely recommend demoing it.

cayzi
08-02-2011, 08:26 AM
N

And weight with strings , extra grip (if you are using it) + dumper would be great.

My test x8 is exactly 330g (strings, overgrip + volkl dumper).

msalamon
08-02-2011, 08:42 AM
No, the XP Dual headsize of 102sq in does not 'feel' any larger when swinging than a 98 or 100 size, so no worries there.

I was expecting the x8 to feel a bit heavier than Im used to because of the 11.4 ounce static weight, but it honestly surprised me. Despite feeling slightly more evenly balanced than the 4pts HL stated, it was very comfortable and not "heavy" feeling at all. I'd definitely recommend demoing it.

Thanks -I'll give it a shot- also thinking about babolat storm tour

captainobvious
08-02-2011, 09:01 AM
captainobvious:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/IMG_0476.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/IMG_0477.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/IMG_0474.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/IMG_0473.jpg

When putting the x8 and the X-P Dual back to back, the outside edges of the x8 are actually slightly larger in diameter despite being a 100sq inch head vs 102 for the XP Dual. This is because of the thicker beam/frame on the x8. Also, notice the more open string pattern of the X-P Dual. As much spin as you can generate with the x8, the XP gives jus that much more

cayzi
08-02-2011, 09:03 AM
captainobvious thanks for your effort.

I still thinking what to take : SILVER , GOLD, X-P dual.

It is hard because I must actually buy it and then test it. :(

captainobvious
08-02-2011, 09:07 AM
captainobvious thanks for your effort.

I still thinking what to take : SILVER , GOLD, X-P dual.

It is hard because I must actually buy it and then test it. :(

I would recommend the X-P Dual out of those 3 for you. Seeing as how we have had similar issues/likes with the racquets weve tested, I dont think the Silver or Gold will be powerful enough for you. The XP is like a tweaked version of the Instinct...more comfortable, a little heavier, thinner beam yet good power, more control.

cayzi
08-02-2011, 09:22 AM
captainobvious: thanks.

Can you just put this two racket on weight machine? ;)

movdqa
08-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Interesting racquet - it looks like it would make for a good hairpin for customizing to monster swingweights and it has the flex that I like. Beam seems a bit wide though.

captainobvious
08-02-2011, 01:52 PM
captainobvious: thanks.

Can you just put this two racket on weight machine? ;)

Sorry, dont have a scale for it.

levy1
08-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Demo on the way!

Since the X-series thread is now of monumental proportions, I figured I'm better off just posting a new thread for this different frame. Im very interested in the Donnay XP Dual frame as I like the specs...

Head size: 102sqi
Unstrung Weight: 295g
Unstrung Balance: 315mm
Strung Weight: 11.0oz
Strung Balance: 6 Points HL
Strung Swing Wt: 310
String Pattern: 16x19
Stiffness (RDC): 59
Grip: Cushion
Rec. String Tension: 55lbs (+/- 5)
Beam Width: 19/23/18mm**
Length: 27
Technology: Dual XeneCore

Can any users please post your thoughts on this frame, what you did and didnt like about it...sweetspot size/power/spin/stability, etc. Thanks!

Im considering picking one of these up to try out. I dont know of any place nearby or online that demo's these so I might have to bite the bullet... :(

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/DonnayXPDual.jpg

levy1
08-02-2011, 02:51 PM
I called Donnay on this. I am demoing right in the same spec area. The other Donnays did not show much power and I need at least medium. I called Donnay and was told this racket had a little more power then the X line with around the same specs. I found a demo and it is on the way. In addition I am getting a demo customization kit. This should be fun.

Rackets on my demo list around the same specs;
BB delta core pro sporster
Dunlop Aerogel 4d 300
Volokl Powerbridge 8
Pro Kennex Destiny Advance
Head Youtek IG Instinct

I would appreciate any comments on my demos. Thanks

cayzi
08-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Rackets on my demo list around the same specs;
BB delta core pro sporster
Dunlop Aerogel 4d 300
Volokl Powerbridge 8
Pro Kennex Destiny Advance
Head Youtek IG Instinct

I would appreciate any comments on my demos. Thanks

I tried this:
Dunlop Bio 500 Tour
Volkl Organix 8
Head Youtek IG Speed 300g
Head Youttek IG Instinct
Prince Ex03 White
Prince Ex03 Black
Babolat Pure Drive GT (300g)

From this list I preferred from most wanted to the least:
Volkl Organix 8
Head Youtek IG Instinct
Prince Ex03 Black ( to stiff)
Babolat Pure Drive GT
IG Speed 300
Prince white
Dunlop bio 500 Tour

Now I am deciding what to buy (I can not test it):
x-dual Silver (Captain said that it is LOW powered)
x-dual gold
x-p dual

Will see. Looking to read your comments about it & other frames.

The other Donnays did not show much power and I need at least medium.

May I ask which Donnay did you test or use before?

Regards

levy1
08-02-2011, 03:42 PM
I have not tested any Donnays, just comparing specs, reading reviews and talking to TW people. I did not like the Prince feeling as I like a somewhat stiff feel whether I get it from racket or strings. I also like the feeling of ball pocketing. My favorite is the Vantage bastcores but now to heavy for me. also for some reason I do not like the feel of the Babolats. I also liked the Wilson BLX pro open. I hit with Head last night and liked them but need one in line with my specs which is the Youtek IG Instinct which TW was out of for the demo. I also loved the BB London but just did not feel maneuverable as the bastcores so I bought them. Man it is hard work to find the special one that's fits just us as a individual. Hearing info from others really helps. Did you like the head?

I tried this:
Dunlop Bio 500 Tour
Volkl Organix 8
Head Youtek IG Speed 300g
Head Youttek IG Instinct
Prince Ex03 White
Prince Ex03 Black
Babolat Pure Drive GT (300g)

From this list I preferred from most wanted to the least:
Volkl Organix 8
Head Youtek IG Instinct
Prince Ex03 Black ( to stiff)
Babolat Pure Drive GT
IG Speed 300
Prince white
Dunlop bio 500 Tour

Now I am deciding what to buy (I can not test it):
x-dual Silver (Captain said that it is LOW powered)
x-dual gold
x-p dual

Will see. Looking to read your comments about it & other frames.

May I ask which Donnay did you test or use before?

Regards

cayzi
08-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Hearing info from others really helps. Did you like the head?

As you notice last few days I am really hanging on this forum trying to find reliable source of people which knows what they are talking about but then reading a lot of other comments makes you even more confused.

This is getting even worse since I can not test a Donnay in Eu. I can only read about it and then buy something or spend couple of hundred $$$ to buy 3-4 of them and test it. What I would not like then sold it.

So I read all the post about Donnay on this forum and I still do know have a feeling what should I take really. :)

In last phase also x-white and x-dual Silver Lite are interesting to me :) since it is easy to customize. Anyway...my current list is still as I mention many times in this forums (Gold, Silver, x-p dual). :-?

I liked Head IG 300 on: server, backhand, volley. Racket itself is really low powered and I found out that the head size is smaller or feels smaller than usual 100inch head sizes. Good racket but you must have full swing to get most out of it.

tlm
08-02-2011, 08:19 PM
As you notice last few days I am really hanging on this forum trying to find reliable source of people which knows what they are talking about but then reading a lot of other comments makes you even more confused.

This is getting even worse since I can not test a Donnay in Eu. I can only read about it and then buy something or spend couple of hundred $$$ to buy 3-4 of them and test it. What I would not like then sold it.

So I read all the post about Donnay on this forum and I still do know have a feeling what should I take really. :)

In last phase also x-white and x-dual Silver Lite are interesting to me :) since it is easy to customize. Anyway...my current list is still as I mention many times in this forums (Gold, Silver, x-p dual). :-?

I liked Head IG 300 on: server, backhand, volley. Racket itself is really low powered and I found out that the head size is smaller or feels smaller than usual 100inch head sizes. Good racket but you must have full swing to get most out of it.

You are making some good choices in trying the white and silver lite. The white is what i have been playing with for a while now, but i am demoing the silver lite to see if i can tame its power enough to switch. The dual core seems more arm friendly than the x series.

cayzi
08-03-2011, 01:35 AM
... but i am demoing the silver lite to see if i can tame its power enough to switch.

First impressions?

I notice that you did not like SILVER to much ... as you mention to much power for you.

tlm
08-03-2011, 03:10 AM
First impressions?

I notice that you did not like SILVER to much ... as you mention to much power for you.

The silver lite is nice, very comfy feel and good spin.

cayzi
08-03-2011, 04:08 AM
captainobvious and others:

Can you advice me regarding grip size for Donnay?
I read that Donnay have even smaller grip sizes than Wilson and even smaller than Babolat, Volkl,...etc...
I usually used Volkl grip size 3 which is good for me.

Should I consider taking grip size 4 for Donnay?

captainobvious: Does the X-P dual feels lighter comparing to X8 since I notice that you have weight 292g ?

cayzi
08-03-2011, 05:26 AM
I got this message from Donnay support office:

The XP's deliver more power than the regular dualcores and are for players with medium strokes.

The dualcores are for players with full strokes.

levy1
08-03-2011, 07:52 AM
I got this message from Donnay support office:

The XP's deliver more power than the regular dualcores and are for players with medium strokes.

The dualcores are for players with full strokes.

TW had rated the Xs at low power. I did not think of demoing them because I need a little more. After reading a few positive posts on the XP Dual I call Donnay and was told it had a little more power then the X frames. To me, more power means a shorter stroke. We could get more confused but the bottom line is to get one in my hand and see if it is for me.

captainobvious
08-03-2011, 08:29 AM
captainobvious and others:

Can you advice me regarding grip size for Donnay?
I read that Donnay have even smaller grip sizes than Wilson and even smaller than Babolat, Volkl,...etc...
I usually used Volkl grip size 3 which is good for me.

Should I consider taking grip size 4 for Donnay?

captainobvious: Does the X-P dual feels lighter comparing to X8 since I notice that you have weight 292g ?

The X-P feels just a little bit lighter, but they feel balanced differently. The x8 feels alittle more head/hoop heavy than the XP Dual, but static weight feels pretty close for the two actually.
As for grip shape, the Donnay XP Dual has a more slightly rounded grip shape while the Volkl has a more distinct beveled feel (you really can feel the bevel edges on the x8). As for grip size, I have the x8 and the XP Dual in a size 4 grip (4 1/2) and the x8 feels like somewhere between a 4 3/8 and a 4 1/2 while the Donnay feels like a standard 4 1/2. (IE- the volkl grip is smaller in the same size 4 than the Donnay)The Volkl x8 also feels like it has a little wider of a butt cap at the bottom.
If you go with the X dual series, I think you wont be satisfied with the power. The XP Dual is your racquet.
What did you think of the x8 in terms of power? Id say the x8 has a little more power than the XP Dual, so take that into consideration. Im really on the fence about which one I want to stick with. A little more play time and I'll make up my mind ;)

Levy-
Enjoy the demo and be sure topost your thoughts on it in this thread! :) Also list what it comes strung with as that makes a difference. Mine is strung mid tension with syn gut and a poly.

cayzi
08-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Mine is strung mid tension with syn gut and a poly.

Which strings and what tension?

cayzi
08-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Im really on the fence about which one I want to stick with. A little more play time and I'll make up my mind ;)

I order my XP Dual just because of you today. :) So please give me your address that I can find you if I will not like it. :)
Did you buy a racket already or do you have test version. I notice from pictures that racket was new because the plastic was still on handle.

Anyway I still like so much SILVER LITE and SLIVER that is...that close before I will order them but on the other hand I believe you that frames are LOW powered and it will be to demanding for me at this level.

It is confusing when you read Donnay topics and find comments like: SILVER is powerful, RED is powerful, super control etc... At the end you have a feeling that those specific models from Donnay are for everyone. For beginner, for pro, full swing hitter, medium swing etc... :???:

Will see after I get my XP Dual. Will let you know guys.

gd!
08-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Hi cayzi

where in EU are you from? I had a nice email exchange with a dealer from Monaco, another website I found was Donnay Poland. However, price is 199 Euro per stick, so nothing cheap ;)
From my email exchange I got some photos showing grip 3 has 111/112 mm circumference which is a regular 3. Nothing in between.

So I would stick with my usual grip size and not move up.

Where are you going to buy?

cheers

cayzi
08-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Where are you going to buy?

cheers

Dealer from Monaco. He is really nice guy. I hope that I get my racket :))

I will probably still buy SILVER so if you want we can trade if I will not like. Good price for you my friend. ;)

Do you have link from Poland store?

gd!
08-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Here you go
http://donnay.pl/

One of my European colleagues is working in Poland so it would be another option but yes, Yan seems to be a nice guy though :D

Playing with Gamma T-7 the X-Dual Silver would be the "control option" while XP-Dual should be the "power option" according to Donnay.
To be honest, from my large racquet experience I suspect the thin X-Dual beam will provide enough mass and power compared to Gamma T-7 which is much more control orientated than its specs may let assume...
I would give my try to XP-Dual, however unfortunately I will stick with grip 2 not move up to 3 as I am using .6 mm overgrip.

cayzi
08-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Here you go

To be honest, from my large racquet experience I suspect the thin X-Dual beam will provide enough mass and power compared to Gamma T-7 which is much more control orientated than its specs may let assume...

If I understand what you are trying to say is that you are not sure if Donnay X line and X-dual can provide real power without not to use perfect technique and FULL swing?

But reading all the comments on Donnay topics it looks like that it does. So ...

gd!
08-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Let me clarify. I am not looking for real power but I know a low RA is working much better for me than any stiff racquet.
Silver = 70, XP Dual = 59 ; what else to mention? ;)
Head size 99 > 100> 102 should not be the real deal.

cayzi
08-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Let me clarify. I am not looking for real power but I know for me a low RA works much better than stiff racquet.
Silver = 70, XP Dual = 59 ; what else to mention? ;)
Head size 99 > 100> 102 should not be the real deal.

Yes but you mention a comment that you doubt that real thin beam will provide power using medium stroke. In that way I understand your comment.

Stiffness is another category. But reading all comments Donnay absorb vibration good and also stiffness on Silver is not a big deal.

Many members on this forum reports that there is no visible difference between SILVER and GOLD for example which is also less stiff.

For reference stiffness on X-P Dual is not 59 as you mention but 64-65. SILVER is 70.

gd!
08-03-2011, 02:24 PM
My friend, believe whatever you want to believe ;)
Just double checked, XP-Dual 59 v X-Dual Silver 65

However, I have my own experience and can read between the lines but do surely not believe these guys who want to tell one tiny beam plus head light balance will provide both, lot of control while maintaining good amount of power.

From original X-Series Donnay is now moving up offering larger beams, even the Pro has 21 mm beam. For what reason do you think?

cayzi
08-03-2011, 02:32 PM
My friend, believe whatever you want to believe ;)
Just double checked, XP-Dual 59 v X-Dual Silver 65

I got few BAR codes from a racket frames and numbers are different there:

xp DUAL 64-65

Silver Lite: 67

SILVER: 70

Do not know about how powerful Donnay racket are with thin beam for someone who play tennis 1x per week and let say on average + level. But it looks like it does provide power since few people here telling that. Or maybe we have just pros in here. :)

captainobvious
08-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Which strings and what tension?

Im not sure, sorry. It came strung with a non marked syn gut in the crosses and a poly in the mains at about mid tension from what I can tell.

captainobvious
08-03-2011, 05:36 PM
I order my XP Dual just because of you today. :) So please give me your address that I can find you if I will not like it. :)

hahaha nice !

Did you buy a racket already or do you have test version. I notice from pictures that racket was new because the plastic was still on handle.

Yep, it was new

Anyway I still like so much SILVER LITE and SLIVER that is...that close before I will order them but on the other hand I believe you that frames are LOW powered and it will be to demanding for me at this level.

It is confusing when you read Donnay topics and find comments like: SILVER is powerful, RED is powerful, super control etc... At the end you have a feeling that those specific models from Donnay are for everyone. For beginner, for pro, full swing hitter, medium swing etc... :???:

Will see after I get my XP Dual. Will let you know guys.

I know what you mean. But alot of the people making those comments are higher level players with longer, faster swings.
Let me know what you think about this one.

captainobvious
08-03-2011, 05:41 PM
RE: stiffness...

The website shows stiffness as 59 and the racquet label shows 64...check out my pics on page 1.

cayzi
08-06-2011, 04:28 AM
I am more on xp side right now so maybe i will sell my x8 to.

levy1
08-06-2011, 06:31 AM
RE: stiffness...

The website shows stiffness as 59 and the racquet label shows 64...check out my pics on page 1.

My test version shows 68 on the label.

cayzi
08-08-2011, 02:04 AM
captainobvious:

Any final news what will stay "in house" :)

captainobvious
08-08-2011, 06:44 AM
captainobvious:

Any final news what will stay "in house" :)

Yup :)

After taking both the Volkl x8 and the XP Dual out for multiple sessions, I'm going to go with the XP Dual. Im able to keep more balls in with control and serve better with it. The Volkl was a bit more powerful, but at times I was hitting a little long with it anyway. I couldnt serve as well because of the different balance/weight feel, and the XP Dual is actually even more comfortable on the arm then the x8 is. Its just a terrific racquet. And I havent even begun tweaking the balance/weight yet with the adjustment kit butt caps and slides ;)

Did you get yours yet ?

cayzi
08-10-2011, 02:13 AM

After taking both the Volkl x8 and the XP Dual out for multiple sessions, I'm going to go with the XP Dual. Im able to keep more balls in with control and serve better with it. The Volkl was a bit more powerful, but at times I was hitting a little long with it anyway. I couldnt serve as well because of the different balance/weight feel, and the XP Dual is actually even more comfortable on the arm then the x8 is. Its just a terrific racquet. And I havent even begun tweaking the balance/weight yet with the adjustment kit butt caps and slides ;)

Did you get yours yet ?

Captainobvious you have XP with 292g right?

Does it feel light for you?

levy1
08-10-2011, 06:21 AM

Did you get yours yet ?

Which Volkl is the X8?

cayzi
08-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Which Volkl is the X8?

http://vb-tennis.com/cms/front_content.php?idcat=224&idart=1219

captainobvious
08-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Captainobvious you have XP with 292g right?

Does it feel light for you?

Mine is labeled as 295g. I dont have a scale to verify, sorry.
It feels a tad light...somewhere between the Instinct MP and the Volkl x8. I think the balance is similar to the Instinct MP with a touch more static weight.

Did you get outside to swing it yet bud ? :)

cayzi
08-10-2011, 07:23 AM
Did you get outside to swing it yet bud ? :)

Tomorrow. I just got it from stringing.
I will let you know.

I see. I thought that you have 292.... because from pictures you posted.

levy1
08-10-2011, 07:38 AM
http://vb-tennis.com/cms/front_content.php?idcat=224&idart=1219

Figures, OK I will add to demo list

captainobvious
08-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Tomorrow. I just got it from stringing.
I will let you know.

I see. I thought that you have 292.... because from pictures you posted.

How about a review now that youve had some time with it

cayzi
08-16-2011, 12:04 PM
How about a review now that youve had some time with it

I am still looking for right string tension combination. This racket is not so arm friendly as many people says here. X8 is much more comfortable.

Still I really like Silver. It have a really nice control and power as well. I expected to be more low powered. But for sure Head IG 300 is more low powered racket. I can get more from Silver.

For now I do not like so much XP. It is really harsh on my arm or something I can not define.

Captain maybe I ask you this before but what string combination and tension are you using? Right now I am full multi and I do not like it so much.

thx

captainobvious
08-17-2011, 06:54 AM
I am still looking for right string tension combination. This racket is not so arm friendly as many people says here. X8 is much more comfortable.

Still I really like Silver. It have a really nice control and power as well. I expected to be more low powered. But for sure Head IG 300 is more low powered racket. I can get more from Silver.

For now I do not like so much XP. It is really harsh on my arm or something I can not define.

Captain maybe I ask you this before but what string combination and tension are you using? Right now I am full multi and I do not like it so much.

thx

Thats VERY surprising. I think you just need the right string combo/tension in there. The XP Dual is definitely more plush than the x8 so it should be just fine on your arm. Mine is strung with syn gut crosses and poly mains, both at about racquet mid tension (55). Try that combo instead of your full multi. I dont even use the dampener and its very comfy.

cayzi
08-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Try that combo instead of your full multi. I dont even use the dampener and its very comfy.

I will. Let you know.

cayzi
08-20-2011, 04:03 PM
I have a silver string with this strings and racket is really powerful:

http://www.solincosports.com/strings/tourbite%20hybrid.php

Captain which grip do you use on XP Dual and which did you try on silver.

I have both and on SILVER grip is noticeable smaller. I am using on both grip size 3.

cayzi
08-20-2011, 07:59 PM
I would give my try to XP-Dual, however unfortunately I will stick with grip 2 not move up to 3 as I am using .6 mm overgrip.

I would suggest you to move one size bigger grip on Donnay. Their grips are smaller than other rackets.

I have Volkl , Head , Tecnifibre in grip size 3 and I can feel the difference in size compare to Donnay frames.

I do not know how big are your hands but if you try this Wilson chart it will give us some idea regarding this:

http://www.wilsonsports.com/media/wilson/pdf/gripsize_9861.pdf

Regards

gd!
08-21-2011, 03:40 AM
No, dear...I won't choose larger grip as I got a photo showing Donnay grips are true to grip size.
As mentioned by suppawat in the other tread I share his opinion you should consider a firmer and slightly thicker base grip, Gamma Hi Tech would be my base grip of choice, and add some nice overgrip as well; Gamma Supreme is worth a try :-)

cayzi
08-21-2011, 03:45 AM
No, dear...I won't choose larger grip as I got a photo showing Donnay grips are true to grip size.
As mentioned by suppawat in the other tread I share his opinion you should consider a firmer and slightly thicker base grip, Gamma Hi Tech would be my base grip of choice, and add some nice overgrip as well; Gamma Supreme is worth a try :-)

Can you post that pictures showing that donnay is true in grip size?

Is there any thick difference between basic grips out there. I can not see this data looking tw store.

Regards

Mig1NC
08-21-2011, 04:03 AM
You can always measure it yourself. Just use a good fabric tape measure, or wrap a piece of paper around the grip to measure the circumfirence.

Let us know what your find.

gd!
08-21-2011, 06:06 AM
It's really the easiest way to tightly wrap a tape measure around your grip and look for the total circumference.
Mine is 11.3 cm using Gamma grip 2 + Babolat Skin Feel + Klip Kobra overgrip.

While the Skin Feel is one of the thinnest base grips around (ca. 1.55 mm diameter) thicker grips will build up the grip size accordingly (C=2*Pi*r). Saying this, it is stupidly mathematics but still important you use an overgrip providing you that level of comfort and feel you are looking for. Nobody can tell you what is best, you just need to try and find out yourself (ooops...:D)

If you have access to a nice caliper gauge that would help, too.

Mig1NC
08-21-2011, 06:44 AM
I usually tightly wrap a piece of paper around the grip, mark the start and stop, then measure between those marks.
I don't have a good caliper or a good tape measure :(

cayzi
08-21-2011, 09:12 AM
I usually tightly wrap a piece of paper around the grip, mark the start and stop, then measure between those marks.
I don't have a good caliper or a good tape measure :(

Outline in mm Outline in inches (USA) Grip size in Europe
100 – 102 mm 4 0
103 – 105 mm 4 1/8 1
106 – 108 mm 4 2/8 = 4 1/4 2
109 – 111 mm 4 3/8 3
112 – 114 mm 4 4/8 = 4 1/2 4
115 – 117 mm 4 5/8 5

I measured the TF 295, grip EU 3 and Silver grip EU 3 as you suggest and here are the results, no over grip used:

TF295 = 110mm
Silver = 110mm

When Volkl overgrip was put on here is the result on both quite the same: 114mm

I guess there is some kind of difference in feel holding this rackets (same overgrip used, default base grip on rackets).

I will try to exchange base grip on silver and see how it goes. Until know my game do not suffer from it. But using all that measurement techniques keep you wonder about grip decisions.

Thanks.

Mig1NC
08-21-2011, 01:38 PM
That's good info. Thanks for doing it, Cayzi.

I have noticed that certain grip shapes feel smaller or larger, even if the grip circumference is the same. It is just something about the human hand and how it wraps around the grip.

gd!
08-21-2011, 01:44 PM
That's true Mig, however generally rectangular grip sizes (e.g. offered by Head and Volkl) do let people feel the grip is slightly smaller vs. competitors.
Would you rate Donnay grip as being rectangular or not? I think the feel of grip being smaller is really more connected to its thin/soft synthetic grip compared to others.

Mig1NC
08-21-2011, 02:21 PM
I would say it is not too rectangular. Certainly more so than my Dunlops and Princes, but not as much as Heads.

captainobvious
08-23-2011, 06:21 AM
I have a silver string with this strings and racket is really powerful:

http://www.solincosports.com/strings/tourbite%20hybrid.php

Captain which grip do you use on XP Dual and which did you try on silver.

I have both and on SILVER grip is noticeable smaller. I am using on both grip size 3.

My grip size is a 4 (4 1/2") on the XP Dual. With an overgrip on it it's just about perfect. I would like to build up the butt cap a tad though as its fairly narrow at the end. I tried the #4 grip on the silver as well.

captainobvious
08-23-2011, 06:24 AM

This is an excellent recommendation actually. The grip on the XP Dual is a little squishy and comfy, but after a few matches it will compact a bit. I also agree that a slightly thicker or firmer grip material would be nice. I will probably swap mine out after my overgrip is shot as I want to build up near the butt cap a bit anyway.

getsby
04-14-2012, 01:26 PM
I would say it is not too rectangular. Certainly more so than my Dunlops and Princes, but not as much as Heads.

Prince grip on one of the rectangular grip that I know. Head is shaped like an ellipse (except for a speed series).

getsby
04-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Now my current stick Wilson BLX Pro Open, with lead tape + damper + overgrip weighs 337gr. On specs, Donnay Silver closer to the Pro Open. But I have serious doubts on a thin beam. But I have serious doubts on a thin beam... How do these two sticks, Silver 99 and XP-Dual against hard hitters, which is more stable?