PDA

View Full Version : The Racquet Crusades

Ben Hadd
07-27-2011, 03:11 PM
This year, I made a strong return to tennis. My old racquet didn't suit my game anymore, so it was time for heavy racquet research and reading. In the end, I chose a PDGT135th as my choice. I hated the racquet at first then added alot of lead just above the grip and changed the grip. It felt better, but I am sure there is something better out there more suited to my game.

Since the PDGT purchase in June, I've demo'd Prince EX03 tour 100 16x18 (disliked), Head IG Speed 16x19 (disliked), YT Prestige Pro (disliked), IG Instinct MP (to much power and to light for me, but a pretty nice racquet actually), IG Speed 300 (ok stick, not for me though),YT Prestige MP (nice stick, lacks power for my game), YT Rad Pro (great stick, could be 2 pts more headlight), IG Speed 18x20 (love this racquet, still something missing, my fav so far though).

I'm ready to settle down on 1 stick, so I can get multiples, but decisions decisions. I have been playing fantastic when I use the PDGT lately, so I think I'll demo the IG Speed 18x20 again and vs it with my racquet for the first time. My PDGT is 6pt head light atm. No lead in the head. But still, I'll check out 2 when I demo the 18x20 again, so what to get? I can't seem to stop this search. Should I keep looking, settle down with the PDGT or 18x20? I don't mind a stiff frame, I dont like a frame under 58 flex generally, I usually string in the high 50's, and prefer a head size in midplus range, no larger than 100. I am an agressive baseliner who isn't afraid to go all court, and love rushing the net when the oppurtunity arrises. Any suggestions on a demo, or what to do lol?

HiroProtagonist
07-27-2011, 03:18 PM
-YTK Prestige MP: in almost any of the iterations it is simply the best all around racquet in the world, control, feel, comfort, spin, power, it has it all in one package, other racquets may do one or two things better but none do everything as well as the Prestige MP

-YTK/MG Radical MP: The single most suggested racquet on TT, why you ask, well it has a lot of the charm and attributes of a Prestige MP but more flex meaning more comfort and a different softer feel, it is also lighter and more evenly balanced therefore better suited for someone who cant handle the weight of the Prestige, perhaps a bit more easy power than the Prestige, less plow through, however, I find equals less control than the Prestige(Rad is often moded w/ lead tape)

-Pure Storm Ltd: The only Babolat worth looking at imo, just oozes control in a softer package, very flexy and comfy really a joy to hit with, the sweet spot can be a bit small and it is perhaps less forgiving than the Prestige also due in part to the fact the racquet is under powered, you will have to use the weight of the racquet and your technique to produce the mph, but it will reward you if you can.

The BLX 6.1 95's are great (dont rule out the 18x20 either) and would certainly be one of my suggestions. All of my other favs are demanding mids that I love to hit with but dont get my best results.

This is my response from another thread but these imo are the best MP frames out there, but in all fairness I haven't hit Dunlops or Donnays.

Imo you should try some more powerful strings and bit of lead on Prestige MP to get desired power, or mod the Rad Pro to more HL balance judging by your account of your experiences.

FedExpress 333
07-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Try the MG Rad MP.

Very comfy, room to customize, and control oriented, w/ great feel.

pheonix6579
07-27-2011, 03:50 PM
I 2nd the Prestige MP, Radical MP, and Pure Storm Ltd. (but VERY LOW powered)

I also would suggest the Rebel 95. Simply wonderful frame. I would also suggest the 18x20 EXO3 Tour. I really enjoyed the tighter string pattern.

meowmix
07-27-2011, 04:35 PM
I would avoid the PSLTD for the reason that everybody else has said: too little power. If you think the Prestige MP lacks power, then you'll think the PSLTD is even worse.

I would not really consider the Microgel MP and only look at the Youtek and LM versions if you're looking at Radicals... from the rackets that you didn't dislike, they're all relatively stiffer rackets. You shouldn't exclude rackets based on the lower stiffness rating, since there are rackets that play a lot stiffer than their rating.

The TT Warrior MP sounds like a must demo.

Ben Hadd
07-27-2011, 04:42 PM
I've been hesitant to try the YT Rad MP, my old stick was a LM Rad MP. How similar are they? I'll pick it up tomorrow when I return 2 others. They don't have the EXO3 18x20 at the local shop :( Think I'll try the Pure Storm Ltd too.

I really did like the precision on the Prestige mid, perhaps I'll give it another shot with some lead added.

HiroProtagonist
07-27-2011, 04:46 PM
I've been hesitant to try the YT Rad MP, my old stick was a LM Rad MP. How similar are they? I'll pick it up tomorrow when I return 2 others. They don't have the EXO3 18x20 at the local shop :( Think I'll try the Pure Storm Ltd too.

I really did like the precision on the Prestige mid, perhaps I'll give it another shot with some lead added.

Don't overlook the strings impact on the power potential.

Also I dont suggest the Prestige mid, though it's a great racquet I dont think it will satisfy you, power strings and lead on PrestigeMP imo.

pyrokid
07-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Pure storm tour gt. Little bit clunky, but it does everything else beautifully.

whomad15
07-27-2011, 08:34 PM
check out volkl.

parasailing
07-27-2011, 08:35 PM
I got a PSTGT and it is something to consider as it has quite a bit of power, is plush, and offers a solid stable racquet. I didn't feel that it was clunky but then I will test this against a Head Pro Stock TGK 238.4 which I am eagerly waiting for some advice from fellow TW users on string tension to do a comparison test.

Ben Hadd
07-27-2011, 09:57 PM
check out volkl.

Wish we had Volkl locally to demo. I'm being slow about ordering demos online. I would like to try the PB10 I think.

Ben Hadd
08-02-2011, 01:59 PM
The final decision has been made. After many many demos. Nothing feels as solid and powerful as my leaded up PDGT. It was a close call between stock IG Speed 18x20, which is just am amazing control stick, but in the end, it gets edged out. Time to buy my next PDGT and dedicate to this racquet line for the next 2 years.

TimothyO
08-02-2011, 03:16 PM
-YTK Prestige MP: in almost any of the iterations it is simply the best all around racquet in the world, control, feel, comfort, spin, power, it has it all in one package, other racquets may do one or two things better but none do everything as well as the Prestige MP

-YTK/MG Radical MP: The single most suggested racquet on TT, why you ask, well it has a lot of the charm and attributes of a Prestige MP but more flex meaning more comfort and a different softer feel, it is also lighter and more evenly balanced therefore better suited for someone who cant handle the weight of the Prestige, perhaps a bit more easy power than the Prestige, less plow through, however, I find equals less control than the Prestige(Rad is often moded w/ lead tape)

-Pure Storm Ltd: The only Babolat worth looking at imo, just oozes control in a softer package, very flexy and comfy really a joy to hit with, the sweet spot can be a bit small and it is perhaps less forgiving than the Prestige also due in part to the fact the racquet is under powered, you will have to use the weight of the racquet and your technique to produce the mph, but it will reward you if you can.

This ^^^

10char

OldButGame
08-02-2011, 04:21 PM
^^^^^^^^^..And I'd second,..or third,..or whatever; this too,.....3 beauties,...

Ben Hadd
08-02-2011, 04:40 PM
The Pure Storm LTD I tried this week also. Great racquet, but still a lil' underpowered for my game. It would be 3rd on my list of favs I demo'd. Above the YT Prestige MP being 4th.