PDA

View Full Version : lead tape placement

iowaviking11
07-27-2011, 07:41 PM
if i put lead in the hoop, or at 3 and 9 i know i need to put lead on handle. can i just put it on the side of the handle, instead of in the handle?
Thanks

toedragger
07-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Well, firstly there are no 'have to's in racquet customization. I think what you're going for is adding some lead and still retain thd same balance. That can be achieved by basically placing weight on the other side of the stick. Where? Well, the easy answer is placing enough lead under the grip near the buttcap to reach same balance.

You could experiment with 'where' on that grip you place the lead, since it can make significant effects in feel. Raw 'balance' is just one part of the scenario.

Experiment, and have fun.

whomad15
07-27-2011, 08:35 PM
I added lead at 10/2. Then I put some lead under my overgrip to counter it. Just wrapped it around.

levy1
07-28-2011, 04:13 AM
If you read up there are a lot of "How To" on installing lead tape. There is polarized and depolarized and everything in between. I like to keep the same characteristics of the racket so I offset wherever I put in the hoop buy putting the same amount in the bottom of the handle just under the butt cap. When I am testing how much lead I want to use I just place the lead on the bottom of the butt cap, put some clear tape over it and them wrap the handle with a over grip. If you buy lead in the golf ship it is twice the gram weight of tennis lead so you can use half as much.

vincent_tennis
07-28-2011, 04:37 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=309803&highlight=lead+tape+placement

TennisCJC
07-28-2011, 05:31 AM
Anywhere under the grip should work. If you add tape at 3 and 9, it will probably be centered around 7" from the tip of the head. You can add strips of tape around the handle 7" from the end of the butt to keep things symetrical. I have read this suggestion elsewhere but my experience is handle weight does seem to impact the playing characteristics as much as head weight. There isn't much difference from adding it 7" from the butt or just above the plastic butt cap under the grip say 1" or 2" from the end of the butt.

levy1
07-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Anywhere under the grip should work. If you add tape at 3 and 9, it will probably be centered around 7" from the tip of the head. You can add strips of tape around the handle 7" from the end of the butt to keep things symetrical. I have read this suggestion elsewhere but my experience is handle weight does seem to impact the playing characteristics as much as head weight. There isn't much difference from adding it 7" from the butt or just above the plastic butt cap under the grip say 1" or 2" from the end of the butt.

The lower the lead on the handle offsetting the same amount of weight on the head the less you change the swing weight and balance.

TennisCJC
07-28-2011, 09:04 AM
The lower the lead on the handle offsetting the same amount of weight on the head the less you change the swing weight and balance.

I agree lower location has less impact on SW, but there is no diffence in 7" and 1" from butt. But, I used the TW manual customization worksheet where you can enter the original specs and the locations where you add lead and it returns the updated SW and adding 7 grams of weight at 7" from butt added .4 grams in SW. Moving 7 g down to 1" from the butt had the same impact on SW as it increased .4 g too.