PDA

View Full Version : Calling TGK 238.4/Prestige MP users, need help with string tension

parasailing
07-27-2011, 08:32 PM
I just bought a Pro Stock TGK 238.4 and wanted to know what tension I should string this 18x20 string pattern at. I will using VS gut with Black Magic cross and I come from a PSTGT with 16x20 string pattern strung with 56lbs on VS and 50lbs on Black Magic crosses.

I know the 18x20 is stiffer and tighter stringbed so should I drop it to 53lbs and 47lbs to get that same feel?

movdqa
07-28-2011, 03:19 AM
You have the ability to change a lot of variables on your 238.4 so it may take you a while to get where you want. I just used the same string and tension as on my previous racquet on my first 238.4. The major adjustments were made with lead tape.

Why did you go Pro Stock? The PSTGT is already an excellent platform for customization.

parasailing
07-28-2011, 07:41 AM
You have the ability to change a lot of variables on your 238.4 so it may take you a while to get where you want. I just used the same string and tension as on my previous racquet on my first 238.4. The major adjustments were made with lead tape.

Why did you go Pro Stock? The PSTGT is already an excellent platform for customization.

I have never gotten use to using 18x20 and perhaps that was due to higher stiffness strung at the same tension so I might just go down 3 lbs and see how it plays.

I got it on the great auction site and this is my first pro stock racquet. I just wanted to see how it plays at close to 12oz since the Youtek Prestige MP is a tad too light.

For me, the PSTGT is already solid enough where I haven't actually needed to do anything to it.

I see you have quite a few Pro stocks, how does the 260.2 play compared to a standard Youtek Radical MP since this one has a 16x19 string pattern?

movdqa
07-28-2011, 07:51 AM
I don't have the 260.2 in hand yet. It was shipped almost two weeks ago but it seems like somewhere around two weeks isn't necessarily out of the ordinary. It's just that I received the others in a week or less. I bought another one yesterday and I expect that in a few weeks.

I love the 238.4 XL but it dings my arm. Recovery time is about half-a-day so I could continue to use it but I thought that I'd give the 260.2 a try which is supposed to be RA 59 instead of RA 63. The next step would be the PT57a which is a few ticks more flexible. I added six grams to the top of the handle last night to see if that helps with comfort.

The thing about Pro Stocks is that they sell quite quickly in most cases unless the grip size is really unpopular or the frame is very heavy so if you see something that you might like, it may be better to buy it to try it later as it may be gone by the time you want to give it a try. Availability of the 238.4 is quite good compared to a lot of other models so it's not bad to pick if you like it as there is market liquidity.

One of the hard aspects about Pro Stocks is getting flex numbers - in most cases, it's hard to get numbers and they're often subjective. So if you want to try a 263.2 (just a random example from pro1tennis that seems unpopular), it might be hard to determine what the flex is and that's important to me because of my arm. Some might want something quite stiff and some might want something very flexible. But if nobody has put it on an RDC, then you just have to buy it and try it or move onto something else.

One of the posters here confirmed to me that the 260.1 and 260.2 are quite flexible; not as much as the PT57a but I think that something just a little more flexible than the 238.4 would work.

parasailing
07-28-2011, 09:58 AM
I don't have the 260.2 in hand yet. It was shipped almost two weeks ago but it seems like somewhere around two weeks isn't necessarily out of the ordinary. It's just that I received the others in a week or less. I bought another one yesterday and I expect that in a few weeks.

One of the posters here confirmed to me that the 260.1 and 260.2 are quite flexible; not as much as the PT57a but I think that something just a little more flexible than the 238.4 would work.

Yeah I am looking at a 260.2 mainly for the 16x19 pattern that the retail Rad MP does not offer. I also get the 238.4 because that was one of the cheaper Prostock which I can try and see if this is something I do like. I know demand for some of these racquets are quite high and prices reflect that.

Let me know how you 260.2 plays when you get it and if you could, send me some pics of the racquet if you can.

movdqa
07-28-2011, 11:57 AM
You can find plenty of pictures at the string forums in the for sale forum. Just search for tgk260.2.