PDA

View Full Version : Racquet for My Son?

michael_1265
07-28-2011, 05:34 AM
My son is 12, and he has been playing for two years. This year he was at the low end of the depth chart on the middle school team. He currently plays with a Prince Triple Threat Scream. Our pro is trying to get more topspin into his game, and is recommending a smaller head size. He has suggested the Head Instinct. Can anyone else make recommendations for a still-developing 12-year-old?
Thanks
Mike

TheBoom
07-28-2011, 06:23 AM
Dunlop 500, 500 tour head instinct or extreme mp

TennisCJC
07-28-2011, 10:40 AM
My son is 12, and he has been playing for two years. This year he was at the low end of the depth chart on the middle school team. He currently plays with a Prince Triple Threat Scream. Our pro is trying to get more topspin into his game, and is recommending a smaller head size. He has suggested the Head Instinct. Can anyone else make recommendations for a still-developing 12-year-old?
Thanks
Mike

Head Instinct is good. The older instinct was used by a few pros with lots of weight added to it. The new Sharapova/Berdych Instinct looks more like a "modern" racket with wider beam and higher stiffness index and I have not tried it.

A great tweener racket that doesn't get a lot of press is the Volkl V1 Mid+ Classic or the PB V1 Mid+. These are great rackets. Boris Becker DC Sportster is an updated version of the V1 and it is worth a demo but I have not hit with it.

Wilson BLX Pro Open is also a very good tweener racket.

FedExpress 333
07-28-2011, 11:34 PM
I suggest a LM or Mg radical midplus. i am one year older than your son, use the MG, and love it!

NLBwell
07-29-2011, 06:11 AM
How tall is he and how much does he weigh? Does he generally hit the ball hard? The Instinct would probably be fine, the Radical if he can get some power on the ball, though it doesn't give extra help for spin. Lots of good rackets in the weight range similar to the Instinct. Don't get anything super-light. Have him demo a few and pick one himself so he will be invested in it.

michael_1265
07-29-2011, 03:49 PM
How tall is he and how much does he weigh? Does he generally hit the ball hard? The Instinct would probably be fine, the Radical if he can get some power on the ball, though it doesn't give extra help for spin. Lots of good rackets in the weight range similar to the Instinct. Don't get anything super-light. Have him demo a few and pick one himself so he will be invested in it.

He's about 5'5", and more a retriever than anything else. We want him to hit a little harder, with more spin, and I think he needs something more maneuverable than the TTS.

CANTGETENOUGHTENNIS!
07-29-2011, 07:18 PM
i recommend the babolat aero pro drive-lots of spin and itll be light enough for him to swing harder.

Up&comer
07-30-2011, 06:19 AM
i recommend the babolat aero pro drive-lots of spin and itll be light enough for him to swing harder.

Ummm. No.

You HAVE to swing with alot of racket head speed to get anything out of that racket. Not to mention it's really stiff.

I agree with the head instinct. It's a good transition racket into higher level playing.

TheOneHander
07-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Ummm. No.

You HAVE to swing with alot of racket head speed to get anything out of that racket. Not to mention it's really stiff.

I agree with the head instinct. It's a good transition racket into higher level playing.

Ummm. No.

That racquet is a rocket launcher strung with a multi, even at higher tensions. Are we talking about the same frame?

-I do agree with the stiffness part, though. Not necessarily a bad thing if your arm can handle it.-

Up&comer
07-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Ummm. No.

That racquet is a rocket launcher strung with a multi, even at higher tensions. Are we talking about the same frame?

-I do agree with the stiffness part, though. Not necessarily a bad thing if your arm can handle it.-

What I mean is that if he is 12 years old, he has no need for poly. If he uses a multi or a synthetic it will be very powerful and he will need to generate a lot of spin by using a lot of racket head speed which probably will be tiring for him and the stiffness could be detrimental.

Ben Hadd
07-30-2011, 11:03 AM
The IG Instinct would be a great racquet for your son. It has nice pop, and good spin. It's also fairly light, and doesnt get pushed around as easily as it weight would suggest.

anhuynh16
07-30-2011, 11:13 AM
im 12 and im a tournament player who is currently ranked 1 in TX for champs level. I use the dunlop aerogel 4d 200. its a good racket- but i do recomend the head prestige mp or pro.

TheOneHander
07-30-2011, 11:18 AM
What I mean is that if he is 12 years old, he has no need for poly. If he uses a multi or a synthetic it will be very powerful and he will need to generate a lot of spin by using a lot of racket head speed which probably will be tiring for him and the stiffness could be detrimental.

Sorry, I misunderstood the context. I agree wholeheartedly! The stiffness may be something to look out for, but if he's young, he should be okay if he hasn't had any other elbow issues.

Up&comer
07-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood the context. I agree wholeheartedly! The stiffness may be something to look out for, but if he's young, he should be okay if he hasn't had any other elbow issues.

It's cool.

I still think it's a good idea to stay away from stiff rackets when you are young. I'll repeat the old head instinct or even a kblade team. Its a very underrated tweener as well as being flexy and spin friendly.