PDA

View Full Version : BLX 95 16x18 vs 18x20

dduazo
07-28-2011, 09:51 AM
So I am planning to demo some racquets sometime in April, and my HS coach suggested me to try some racquets with a smaller head size (I currently play with a Prince 03 red [105 sq.in] and he recommended a 95-98 head size).

I can only demo 2 racquets, so I decided with the Aero Storm GT (with a headsize of 98 sq.in) and the Wilson BLX 95.

However, I don't know which model of the 95 I should try: the 16x18 or 18x20. I am an intermediate player (about 3.0-3.5) and I'm looking for a racquet easier on the arm/elbow and a racquet that can help me generate spin.

Thanks =]

ace_it_96
07-28-2011, 10:08 AM
18x20 is a denser string pattern so if you're looking for spin I'd go with the 16x18

Fuji
07-28-2011, 10:10 AM
16x18 is for sure comfier for me. It has a bit more spin, and a bit less of a boardy feel.

Unless you are some insane macho string breaker, then go for the 18x20! :)

-Fuji

dduazo
07-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Haha okay thanks, I'll go with the 16x18.

Also, does the weight (~12oz) make a huge impact? I'm currently playing with a 10.5 oz racquet, and I don't know if 2 oz makes a difference (like harder on the arm, etc.)

PED
07-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Haha okay thanks, I'll go with the 16x18.

Also, does the weight (~12oz) make a huge impact? I'm currently playing with a 10.5 oz racquet, and I don't know if 2 oz makes a difference (like harder on the arm, etc.)

You can make the transition but the weight difference is the first thing I though about when I read your post. It's noticeable :)

The blx is around 349g strung and it can get a bit heavy in the summer heat. Still, it creates a nasty, heavy ball and is great against big hitters as well. I spent alot of time with it and it's a nice stick. I'd def say to go with the 16X18 as it has alot more easy power over the 18X20.

sunof tennis
07-28-2011, 04:43 PM
I have played with both. In the hot, dry climate where I am from, the denser pattern was easier to control. Be careful however, 6.1 95's are fairly stiff.
Since I had elbow problems, I ultimately went another direction, although these are very good racquets.

Torres
07-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Forget about the BLX 6.1 95.

It's the worst choice you could make because it's just too demanding for a 3.0-3.5. Firstly, its a very hefty stick, and not the easiest to swing. You really need to let the racquet do the work, which means grooved strokes, and that's not something that any 3.0-3.5 is going to have.

It's also stiff, has a thunderous swingweight, a very high static weight (mine is 355g stock with OG), which really means a poly or very high tensioned non-poly string to add some control, none of which is particular suitable if you want something that's arm/elbow friendly.

tennis-kid
07-28-2011, 06:07 PM
If you are really concerned about your arm and elbow, you need to look something different. I have wrist /elbow problem so I have been demoing so many differnet racquets including well known soft, arm friendly Volkl , Prince, Head microgel, ProKennex. IMO, Volkl organix 10 and Prince exo3 tour was the best for comfy and playability.

HiroProtagonist
07-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Forget about the BLX 6.1 95.

It's the worst choice you could make because it's just too demanding for a 3.0-3.5. Firstly, its a very hefty stick, and not the easiest to swing. You really need to let the racquet do the work, which means grooved strokes, and that's not something that any 3.0-3.5 is going to have.

Sweeping generalizations like these are quickest way to make yourself look stupid.

As I made a push from 3.5 to 4.0 I found experimenting with heavier racquets extremely beneficial, you can't make the transition from arming and wristing shots to grooved strokes with out experimenting with heavier sticks imo. Of course there is an adjustment period but your going to have to do it sooner or later and once you adjust you can find your groove.

You have to take it on a case by case bases, there are going to 3.5's who will probably never make the transition to heavier player sticks and there are going to be those that can't really progress until they do.

But telling someone not to demo a racquet cause it will be too heavy for their level is not wise advice, one must experience it for themselves before they can determine it's worth.

I say go for it, the BLX 6.1 95 was one the first racquets above 11oz I ever hit with and it simply blew my mind, I thought it was the best racquet on earth, I had never seen my shots explode off the ground like that, and my serve improved tremendously. I ended up going with a mid at that point, which WAS a mistake at that point, but I figured that out and found my grail in the iPrestige MP heavily moded, very similar to a 6.1 18x20.

Good luck!

Cfidave
07-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Agree with above post. Don't let the static weight alone put you off this great stick. Mine is 9pts head light and swings very easily, but hits a very penatrating shot. I use the 18x20 pattern for a little more control, and still enjoy great spin. Do agree, however, it is on the stiff side, especially with poly strings, even at low tensions.

prjacobs
07-28-2011, 07:21 PM
You might want to ask your coach. With the K6.1 95, I found the 18 X 20 much more accurate. That being said, in general, I like the extra spin of a less dense pattern. Good luck.

fanatic32
07-28-2011, 07:26 PM
I got the 18x20 because it felt a lot more stable and more control oriented.

Torres
07-29-2011, 05:04 AM
As I made a push from 3.5 to 4.0 I found experimenting with heavier racquets extremely beneficial

As a 3.5 - 4.0, most of your rallies probably don't last more than 5 strokes before you send the ball out or into the net (unless your name is Bunter Malloy), and you'll almost certainly have all sorts of other holes in your game. And the original poster says he's a 3.0 - 3.5, which is not far off a beginner.

Sure, you can use the weight of racquet to cut corners in terms of developing good technique - you can crush serves with the 6.1 and hit weighty groundstrokes even with distinctly ho-hum technique - but all that a 6.1 95 is going to do for a 3.5 - 4.0 player is add another complication to their hacker/slasher game, when really they should be concentrating on technique issues.

heninfan99
07-29-2011, 05:16 AM
I have the BLX 95 16x18 and I cannot lie, I love it but it sounds like you need a tweener stick though, check these out:
nCode nTour II
Head Instinct(one of the gold models)
Babolat Pure Storm Limited

quest01
07-30-2011, 01:17 PM
I'd go with the 18x20, more control. I'd also demo the Head Youtek Prestige MP.

TheBoom
07-30-2011, 03:47 PM
I preferred the 16x18 overall especially the feel as the 18x20 felt unusually boardy. 16x18 is one of the best sticks out there

TheBoom
07-30-2011, 07:05 PM
And I am generally an 18x20 pattern player

sixone90
07-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Consider the BLX 6.1 Team perhaps?

NLBwell
07-30-2011, 07:33 PM
If you are really concerned about your arm and elbow, you need to look something different. I have wrist /elbow problem so I have been demoing so many differnet racquets including well known soft, arm friendly Volkl , Prince, Head microgel, ProKennex. IMO, Volkl organix 10 and Prince exo3 tour was the best for comfy and playability.

I haven't played with the BLX, but the KFactor version of the 6.1 was extremely harsh on my arm.

samalo0
11-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Consider the BLX 6.1 Team perhaps?

I totally agree with this. I've played with the BLX 6.1 95's, and unless you are big and strong (like 180 lbs+) it's not going to help your game to play with a racquet like that.

I'm a 3.5 level player, and play with the BLX 6.1 Team now. I couldn't be happier.

There is a big myth here that the heavier a racquet is, the better. This is only true if you can control the racquet with that weight. It can help you to learn proper technique to use a very heavy racquet (I've tried it with the K90), but you aren't going to play your best tennis.

Make sure you give the team a try before you buy one of those heavier racquets. Actually, it's going to be kind of similar to that AeroStorm.

cork_screw
11-29-2011, 07:59 PM
For some reason the 16x18 felt softer and comfortable. The 18x20 felt a bit more stiff and definitely didn't have the same spin or action. Also thought the 16x18 was easier to serve with as the power was there and it also did better on action on spin and slices. Where as the 18x20 you didn't really have the fear that the ball would fly on you as the 16x18 felt like the ball hung in the air a bit too long and landed very close to the edge of the baseline.