PDA

View Full Version : TW Review: Babolat Pure Storm Ltd GT

TW Staff
07-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Spencer reviews the Babolat Pure Storm Ltd GT:

http://bit.ly/pQZpRZ

mrmo1115
07-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Will we ever get to see reviews for the Pure Storm and Pure Storm Tour GT's?

SFrazeur
07-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Enjoyable.

-SF

RyKnocks
07-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Good review, but I too would like to see one on the PSTGT

zumzool
07-28-2011, 09:24 AM
nice review... good to see the video in mp4 format.

Fuji
07-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Good review! I pretty much agree with everything Spencer said. Great stick, but serving with it is quite a challenge to get free points.

-Fuji

TimothyO
07-28-2011, 10:22 AM
100% accurate review. I love this racquet and it's my "go to" frame for match play ATM. Only thing I would add is that the low power allows you to generate tremendous spin as you can really swing out.

As my serve has improved I also find that I can now handle more power than the PSLGT can deliver. While working on my serve the low power and great spin provided a huge margin of error on serves.

But after tweaking its weight, balance, and string setup I now find the Speed MP 18x20 provides similar control but with a bit more power which is especially welcome on the serve. So now I'm in the process of migrating to the Speed.

I had tried other Babolat frames and disliked them so much never bothered with another. The PSLGT doesn't play like any other Babolat. It feels like a Volkl in some ways: comfortable, solid, precise. Think "lower powered, more spin friendly PB10 Mid".

Advice to potential buyers: tweak up the weight for more power/plow through and go with a softer string such as gut. I have lead in the grip, at 6, and at 12 for a total weight of 12oz at 11 pts HL. I also replaced the leather grip with a Wilson Shock Shield.

One more note: after playing with my PSLGT my tennis-veteran wife insisted on switching to it from the PB10 Mid and a friend 100% new to tennis is winning matches at the 3.0 level (yes, he skipped 2.5 and -3.0 and dove right in at 3.0). Veterans will enjoy the frame's precision while noobs will be able to develop their strokes without fear of hitting long. It's just a great, great racquet if you can provide the power.

Perfect review Spencer! Honest, detailed, and accurate.

maxpotapov
07-28-2011, 11:11 AM
One of the best reviews, very detailed and accurate, keeping it real!

TheOneHander
07-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Spencer,

Nice review! I really enjoyed it. What makes the difference between the EXO3 Tour and the PSLGT for you?

TW Staff
07-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Spencer,

Nice review! I really enjoyed it. What makes the difference between the EXO3 Tour and the PSLGT for you?

They both have their advantages, and things I like about them as they are both easy on my arm. What gives the EXO3 Tour 100 16x18 the nod for me are a few things:

The 100 square inch headsize offers a bigger sweet spot allowing more forgiveness. I'm penalized less when hitting off center.

It plays better for me defensively. Meaning, I can get the ball deeper with less effort which is especially important when I'm hitting on the run.

The open string pattern gives a bit of a livelier feel, and I can get more consistent depth.

Lastly, I can get a little more velocity on serve.

...What it comes down to is this:

-If I chose a racquet completely on how it feels, I would go with the Pure Storm Ltd GT
-If I chose a racquet on effectiveness for my game and results, it's the EXO3 Tour 100.

Spencer, TW.

psycho0
07-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Great review Spencer! I would love to see the Pure Storm GT and Pure Storm Tour GT reviewed as well someday. Keep up the good work!

TW Staff
07-28-2011, 01:16 PM
In the review, I didn't mention the numerous string set-ups I tried. I tried many because I was looking for that "perfect" balance of feel with enough power.

I tried full bed of multifilament at mid tension, and felt it changed the feel, as it didn't have the ball pocketing I experienced with a full bed of poly.

I tried a natural gut/poly hybrid, with gut in the mains at mid tension, and again wasn't thrilled with it.

So I went back to a full bed of poly, but this time I went very low with tension. (Chris was experimenting with very low tensions at the time, so I thought I'd give it a shot) I went as low as 30 lbs and found more power and more action. Something that was a definite plus. Serves were better, forehands were good, as well as the slice. It was the topspin backhand I couldn't control at that tension. Not sure why, but it was skewed.

From there, I went up in increments of 5 lbs. I tried 35, 40, 45 and 50. Ultimately, I found the best tensions to be between 45 and 50 as it didn't compromise the excellent feel of groundies, and added a touch of power on serves. Still, I felt my serves didn't get enough help from the racquet.

The last set-up I used (as shown in the video) was Volkl V-Maxx. It's a hybrid of V-Pro 17 and V-Wrap 16 (syn gut). I put the V-Pro in the mains and V-Wrap in the crosses, both @ 50 lbs.

Spencer, TW.

Torres
07-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Good review. I like the detailed comments including the +/- attributes. Well done, Spence.

Great to see that the TW team have gone back outside to shoot the videos.

luishcorreia
07-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Excelent review Spencer,

I really enjoyed it! Looks like a new type of format for reviews with just one person, going trough all the strokes.. instead of going trough 4 or 5 playtesters!

I was really cool.. I liked it a lot.

Would it be something to do more often?

Cheers!

TW Staff
07-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Excelent review Spencer,

I really enjoyed it! Looks like a new type of format for reviews with just one person, going trough all the strokes.. instead of going trough 4 or 5 playtesters!

I was really cool.. I liked it a lot.

Would it be something to do more often?

Cheers!

It's something we do from time to time. Chris has done a few solos, and we've even done a couple "2-person" reviews.

In the particular case of the Pure Storm Ltd GT, it was a racquet I was fond of, and played with quite a bit. However, it was not a racquet on the review slate, so after noticing there were several message boarders that shared the same passion I do for the stick, we decided to do a "Solo" review of it as there isn't a whole lot of collaboration needed.

We are always looking for ways to get more information out there to help out the end users.

Thanks for the feedback!

Spencer, TW.

A_Instead
07-29-2011, 09:28 AM
I liked this review format and like Spencers point of view as we seem to have similar tastes in racquets.
Keep up the good work Spencer!