PDA

View Full Version : Help with tennis elbow

kab
07-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Hi! I've been enjoying playing tennis with my son. Now I have tennis elbow--I don't want to give up the game. I chose the Yonex MP 5 for it's flexibility. I still have elbow pain, especially at the net. I've been reading about the PK 5 G and 7 G. Does anybody have any useage in put? And, are they arm friendly? Any reccomendations would be helpful. I have tried putting lead on the MP 5 and loosening the strings without success. Thanks for any input.

alan-n
07-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Sounds like you may be miss hitting quite a bit, miss hit / late volleys can definately do some hurting. You may not be stepping into or leading your volleys with your body weight. If anything else I really would seek a well qualified coach or teaching pro to look at your technique.

Rackethead
07-03-2005, 03:41 PM
there are various strengthening exercises you can do - see a physical trainer or physical therapist. Also, give it rest, loosen up the strings on your racket by as low as you can stand (I play with 50 now). main thing is start reducing the amount you play.

antontd
07-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Don't play until the pain is gone(at least for a few days)

ProKenex Kinetic technology really dampens vibrations. Try the new Ionic models. Remember that Flexible, Heavy and Headlight racquets are good for your elbow. I recommend one of these:
ProKennex Ionic Ki 5 Racquets (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPK-KI5.html)
ProKennex Ionic Ki 5x Racquets (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPK-KI5X.html) - extended 27.5"
ProKennex Ionic Ki 5 PSE Racquets (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPK-KI5PSE.html) - heavy 12.9oz

String with gut or soft strings.

Tennisaurus
07-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Hi! I've been enjoying playing tennis with my son. Now I have tennis elbow--I don't want to give up the game. I chose the Yonex MP 5 for it's flexibility. I still have elbow pain, especially at the net. I've been reading about the PK 5 G and 7 G. Does anybody have any useage in put? And, are they arm friendly? Any reccomendations would be helpful. I have tried putting lead on the MP 5 and loosening the strings without success. Thanks for any input.

I am dealing with TE and after a period of time of not playing (to allow healing) I started again but this time with the PK5G and 7G. The Ionic series (ki5 and ki5x, respectively) are the updated versions. I find the 5G and 7G very comfortable on the arm and have allowed me to get back in the game.

However, if you are feeling pain, be careful, you may wish to consider allowing some time to heal better - you don't want to make it worse. The PK5G and 7G don't cure TE, but they reduce shock significantly so that you minimize the chance of hurting yourself more (doesn't eliminate it - only complete rest does!).

You may wish to demo the racquets to see if they help you.

BTW, do a search on these boards for Tennis Elbow and rehab - there is a wealth of information available.

fist pump
07-03-2005, 05:56 PM
stop playing for a while - 2 weeks or more until it does not hurt anymore when hitting .

then its time to look at your mechanics and equipment . invest in an arm friendly racquet and soft strings .

Michelangelo
07-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Also get a squeeze ball, grap and squeeze it to releave of your pain.

flatpick
07-04-2005, 05:32 AM
The Prokennex Type R is also very "arm friendly", especially when strung with gut at very low tension. Check-out the "comments" about this model at TW.

Revman
07-04-2005, 08:22 AM
I know I'm sound like a broken-record on this topic, but the '90s Dunlop Revelation series are great rackets for anyone prone to tennis elbow. Specifically, the Select Pro (Gold), Classic Pro (Blue), or Tour Pro (Maroon). The Classic Pro kept me in the game when I was stricken with severe tennis elbow; otherwise, I would probably have had to give tennis entirely. Soon I moved to the Tour Pro (the maroon one -- a truly great racquet), and a bit later went to a Head Pro Tour 280. Today I play with a 300G (leaded up to 11.5), and though I continue to wear an elbow strap, I have no arm problems at all.

Tennisaurus
07-05-2005, 05:18 AM
I know I'm sound like a broken-record on this topic, but the '90s Dunlop Revelation series are great rackets for anyone prone to tennis elbow. Specifically, the Select Pro (Gold), Classic Pro (Blue), or Tour Pro (Maroon). The Classic Pro kept me in the game when I was stricken with severe tennis elbow;...

Revman,

No info seems available on these rackets. Can you give us some comparative specs? Also, these are discontinued rackets - where does one find them? :confused:

gscone
07-05-2005, 05:42 AM
Revman,

No info seems available on these rackets. Can you give us some comparative specs? Also, these are discontinued rackets - where does one find them? :confused:

where did you end up demo'ing the PK on LI? WHich Tennis shop?

Tennisaurus
07-05-2005, 05:49 AM
where did you end up demo'ing the PK on LI? WHich Tennis shop?

Didn't demo PK from a tennis shop on LI. Used the TennisWarehouse Demo program. I just checked, they are stil offering the PK 5G as a demo. :)

Revman
07-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Revman,

I'm pretty certain you can find the specs by using the racquetfinder function that's here on the message board (upper right-hand corner). Below are a couple of links that have info on the Tour Pro Revelation. You can often find these racquets -- in very good condition -- on that auction site we all know and love:

http://web.archive.org/web/19981201234722/www.tennis-warehouse.com/DPics/TP.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/TP/TPReview.html

Markus Kaila
09-04-2005, 11:45 PM
I'm pretty certain you can find the specs by using the racquetfinder function that's here on the message board (upper right-hand corner). Below are a couple of links that have info on the Tour Pro Revelation. You can often find these racquets -- in very good condition -- on that auction site we all know and love:

http://web.archive.org/web/19981201234722/www.tennis-warehouse.com/DPics/TP.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/TP/TPReview.html

And nice that it is the racquet I have two ones (although already ten years old exemplars), and perhaps I shall never change (if possible)!

Marius_Hancu
09-05-2005, 04:04 AM
search for threads in the Health/Fitness forum containing "elbow"
READ them

you probably have forgotten about conditioning your arm, etc.

your racket seems fine in terms of weight and or stiffness. consider rackets from Volkl and PK.

check your strings, don't use polys, use multis or nat gut (best).

go to a coach, your shots must be analyzed.

also, check the links under Elbow Pain in my signature here:

morten
09-05-2005, 04:48 AM
gripsize is important! I got TE since trying a bigger grip. Now i have gone smaller on gripsize,even on my squashrackets. Always counterweight.. I didnt and the headheavyness made the TE worse.(Also was used to leather,with the smaller grip i removed the leather and had to add lots of coins to the buttcap)