PDA

View Full Version : Donnay issues - Please help

dizzlmcwizzl
07-28-2011, 01:28 PM
I did a cursory look and perhaps my search terms are bad. However between my useless search and my unwillingness to scrollthrough the 1600 post mega thread I decided to start a new one to illicit direct responses.

The problems:

1) I string my own rackets and have never had a problem with premature breaking of strings ... however I have had three sets of string break very early in the Donnay. They are cutting right where the srings wrap around the throat. It is almost as if the sharp edge of the string hole in the throat is cutting into the string.

2) Is a little less of a problem but still irksome ... I use a vibration dampner but when the ball hits the string bed near the top it vibrates and makes a noise which I dont like. It is not bad and I play through it but I had no vibration when I was playing with my babolat. I do not know if this type of feedback is normal or if I should be contacting TW about a return.

Anywho the question: are these types of things typical or atypical and is this something that TW would typically accept through warranty?

Personal Background included in case it is important:

I recently (6 weeks ago) bought a donnay x-blue 99. I string it with rpm blast 17 in the mains at 48 pounds and babolat synthetic gut in the crosses at 53 pounds. I have the 5g butcap in place and the 1.5 g slide weights at the 3 and 9 positions.

My game is a big serve and forehand, both with good spin (but not sick spin). The backhand is a little flatter with less pace than the forehand. I play mostly doubles and pretty much I am always moving forward. Well over half of my shot attempts come at the net.

Power Player
07-28-2011, 01:35 PM
I know the answer to #2.

Take out the buttcap and see if you have any vibration. If not, the buttcap is loose and is causing the vibration. sometimes just putting it back in solves that.

tball
07-28-2011, 01:46 PM
The vibrations could also just be the strings. In some racquets, when I put in a poly, a rather unpleant noise develops. A noise which even a vibration dampener cannot take away. When I switch the poly out for something else, the racquet becomes dead quiet again.

Squidward
07-28-2011, 02:16 PM
To avert promblem #1, you could use a little tubing. (I know, doesn't really fix the problem with the frame, but unless you want to try and file the rough spot...)

dizzlmcwizzl
07-28-2011, 03:02 PM
I was impressed that taking out the butt cap corrected the vibration sound, but every time I put it back in the sound returns. Gonna try another cap .... confused

Power Player
07-28-2011, 03:06 PM
The cap is loose.I had the same issue..try putting some thin electrical tape in the buttcap hole and then put the buttcap back in.

dizzlmcwizzl
07-28-2011, 04:58 PM
So as soon as I wrote the post I started doing all kinds of research. Eventually I noticed a picture of the throat of other Donnay rackets.

As it turns out the guard for the throat had come out when I was removing prior strings. It comes out so easily I just missed it when removing the other string. Without the throat gaurd it is just string on graphite and I am surprised the string job lasted as long as it did.

Getting ready to dig through the trash can with old string to see if I can find the guard.