PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose! YT Extreme Pro vs. Ozone Pro Tour

TenFanLA
07-29-2011, 12:23 AM
I need your expert help. I'm a 4.5 baseliner with moderate topspin FH, 2HBH, pretty decent flat and slice serve, kick 2nd serve, in pretty good shape 40 yo.

YT EP is a high powered 16x19. Pro: Can hit big serves and return big serves well. Lots of power and spin on groundstrokes. Con: Not very maneuverable due to heavy swingweight 340g. Feel and touch not that good. Tend to hit long when not playing well.

OPT is a moderately powered 18x20. Pro: Groundstrokes are accurate and sharp. Can flatten out the shots and keep it in the court. Con: Serve is decent but not YT EP level. Takes more effort to generate pace and spin on serves. Return of serve when opponent hits bombs is weakest point.

So basically YT EP's strengths, serve and return, are OPT's weaknesses while YT EP's weaknesses, groundstrokes and consistency, are OPT's strengths. YP EP allows me to hit harder with more spin with less effort. I hit more winners but also more unforced errors too. OPT allows me to paint the lines, and be more accurate and consistent esp. on groundstrokes. However it has less power and I have to put in more effort. So I can't play as offensive a game. Help me choose!!!!

Fed Kennedy
07-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Tough call dude. I feel your pain. I use a kps88 against those who are worse than me and a yt extreme pro against the better players.
There is no substitute for a yt extreme pro against a big server.
I'd like to find some middle ground like maybe the new volkl x8 315 or an apd or aerostorm tour, but I havent gotten there yet.

Ben Hadd
07-29-2011, 12:57 AM
Have you considered the Extreme Mp, lead it up to suit your game. Still get the pop and power, but can tone it down some with some weight in the handle. Easier to modify a lighter stick to suit you than find a few weaknesses in a heavy one you cant get around.

un6a
07-29-2011, 02:27 AM
I need your expert help. I'm a 4.5 baseliner with moderate topspin FH, 2HBH, pretty decent flat and slice serve, kick 2nd serve, in pretty good shape 40 yo.

YT EP is a high powered 16x19. Pro: Can hit big serves and return big serves well. Lots of power and spin on groundstrokes. Con: Not very maneuverable due to heavy swingweight 340g. Feel and touch not that good. Tend to hit long when not playing well.

OPT is a moderately powered 18x20. Pro: Groundstrokes are accurate and sharp. Can flatten out the shots and keep it in the court. Con: Serve is decent but not YT EP level. Takes more effort to generate pace and spin on serves. Return of serve when opponent hits bombs is weakest point.

So basically YT EP's strengths, serve and return, are OPT's weaknesses while YT EP's weaknesses, groundstrokes and consistency, are OPT's strengths. YP EP allows me to hit harder with more spin with less effort. I hit more winners but also more unforced errors too. OPT allows me to paint the lines, and be more accurate and consistent esp. on groundstrokes. However it has less power and I have to put in more effort. So I can't play as offensive a game. Help me choose!!!!

I would choose TY EP if it's not heavy for you. Racquet have bigger potential for your game. Serve and return is already big part of tennis game and consistency will go up when you improve. It is natural that if u make mistake with more powered racquets like YT extreme u will get flayer, but as your form will improve u will also eliminate these flayers.

TenFanLA
07-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Tough call dude. I feel your pain. I use a kps88 against those who are worse than me and a yt extreme pro against the better players.
There is no substitute for a yt extreme pro against a big server.
I'd like to find some middle ground like maybe the new volkl x8 315 or an apd or aerostorm tour, but I havent gotten there yet.

I have bought >20 rackets in the last 2 years. As far as serves and esp. return of serve, nothing can touch EP. In doubles it's a no brainer. But in singles since there is more rallying it's a tougher call. Oh, one more thing is OPT is easier on my arm than the stiff EP.

TenFanLA
07-29-2011, 07:17 AM
Have you considered the Extreme Mp, lead it up to suit your game. Still get the pop and power, but can tone it down some with some weight in the handle. Easier to modify a lighter stick to suit you than find a few weaknesses in a heavy one you cant get around.

The problem is I already 3 EP's. I can handle the weight ok but it's not nearly as manueverable as OPT. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do what you suggest, start with MP and lead it up.

TenFanLA
07-29-2011, 07:21 AM
I would choose TY EP if it's not heavy for you. Racquet have bigger potential for your game. Serve and return is already big part of tennis game and consistency will go up when you improve. It is natural that if u make mistake with more powered racquets like YT extreme u will get flayer, but as your form will improve u will also eliminate these flayers.

Definitely when I'm playing well EP has bigger upside. I can play at a higher level, more offensive game vs. OPT. As I play better, stronger players I see how important serve and return of serve are. Last night both my opponent and I were serving lights out. For a set it was like 90's wimbledon. I've gone to a stiffer string to tame some of the power.

nguyendat9
07-30-2011, 07:58 AM
switch extreme pro to extreme mp, blend both power and maneuverable together, great racquet at net

TenFanLA
07-30-2011, 10:43 AM
switch extreme pro to extreme mp, blend both power and maneuverable together, great racquet at net

Yes but the problem is I already 3 EP and don't really want to shell out another $500 for 3 MP. Also according to ,TW review serves and return of serve seem to be less powerful with MP than EP which is the main reason I'm using EP in the first place.

TenFanLA
07-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Just checked the poll: 3 YT EP, 3 OPT, 3 Golf

EP started out 3-0 to OPT but now it is tied. One thing I dislike about EP is the stiffness. It is pretty harsh on the arm. The thing I dislike about OPT is the stringing. It takes a long time and is a pain in the butt.

Fed Kennedy
07-30-2011, 11:31 AM
A racquet you might like is the aerostorm tour gt...its very solid like the extreme, but a little better through the air.

TenFanLA
07-30-2011, 05:49 PM
A racquet you might like is the aerostorm tour gt...its very solid like the extreme, but a little better through the air.

The specs look pretty good. I think I'll demo it along with IG EP which has only 321 SW vs. 338 SW for YT EP.

TennisMD
07-31-2011, 09:31 AM
I believe the keys to success are linked to the serve and return and I agree with OP the Youtex EP does this the best. Also interesting comment from FedKennedy Youtex used against superior players I guess this a vote of confidence for the Youtex. Would be interested in comments on any aspects where new IG version has superiority , bit concerned about stiffness 71 or 72

TenFanLA
07-31-2011, 02:12 PM
I played against a 5.0-5.5 who used to be 6.0. This guy has massive everything, serve, 2HBH, nasty Nadalesque lefty topspin FH. I couldn't hurt him with OPT 1-6. My serves did not bother him and my groundstrokes were consistent but it was hard to take control of the point. I switched to YT EP and was serving lights out. I couldn't break him but held my serve pretty well 4-6. I asked him afterward to evaluate how I played with the 2 rackets. He said with OPT I would never get close to beating him whereas with EP, on my best day I may almost give him a scare for a set.

So I'm sticking with YT EP. When I play someone who is lower level than I, it really doesn't matter which racket I use. But if I want to try to beat a higher level player, I have a better shot with EP.