PDA

View Full Version : BLX 6.1 95 compared to the PSTGT

BC1
07-29-2011, 06:57 AM
I've hit with the 6.1 95 16x18 alot, but never the Pure Storm Tour. I would like to know which one "feels" lighter and is easier to swing over the course of a match. Specs are pretty similar. Also is one easier to play with then the other? Which one is more powerful (I assume the 6.1)?

BC1
07-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Bump...

With all the talk on these boards about these two popular and well liked racquets, there has to be some who have played with both. Any comments?
Thanks

WileyCoyote
07-29-2011, 09:54 AM
After playing with a K 6.1 95 for about a year, I just bought a new 2009 PSGT Tour + from TW.

Both my sticks are strung with the same string, PK IQ Elite at 62 lbs mains and crosses. IQ Elite is a very soft and playable multi.

So far:

They are very, very similar for me.

The PSGT+ definitely has more flex, and very pleasant to hit with. The sweet spot seems bigger, but that may be my imagination or perhaps the extra 1/2" is moving my impact points a bit more toward the center of the racquet.

The PSGT+ seems to have a bit more pop on the serve, but that also may be due to the extra length.

All in all, you will find them very similar. The extra length of the + is a variable that I have not accurately assessed yet.

Harry

chasmatt
07-29-2011, 10:01 AM
I own and have played both. The PSTGT has a little more power on ground strokes, but not much. The 6.1 95 is better on volleys and, for me at least, a little better on serves. The grip on the PSTGT is more square compared to the 6.1 95. I prefer the shape of the 6.1 95 grip - maybe because I had played Wilson racquets for so many years.

I prefer the 6.1 95. For me, it is a better racquet. BTW, I tried the 18 x 20 version and did not like that as well as the 16 x 18 version.

pyrokid
07-29-2011, 10:34 AM
I like the PSTGT more because it feels better and it a little more maneuverable and hits bigger off the ground. The wilson was better for volleys though, I'll give it that. Serves depended. Flat serves I liked the Wilson, spin, the PST.

mark1
07-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Volleys are better for me with the 6.1 series rackets. So is slice.

Other than that, the pstgt is

-more manueverable
-more power
-more spin
-much bigger serve
-equal or better control
-consistent stringbed

I much prefer the pstgt, but both are quality frames.

jayserinos99
07-29-2011, 02:06 PM
I owned and played both. The PSTGT has a little more power on ground strokes, but not much. The 6.1 95 is better on volleys and, for me at least, a little better on serves. The grip on the PSTGT is more square compared to the 6.1 95. I prefer the shape of the 6.1 95 grip - maybe because I had played Wilson racquets for so many years.

I prefer the 6.1 95. For me, it is a better racquet.

I've pretty much had the same experience as you. I find the 6.1 series to be a bit more maneuverable so that helps with the volleys and serves. The PSTGT is flexier but oddly enough, it's also a tad sluggish. I even performed an experiment where I cut off the bumper from the PSTGT and it only helped with the swing speed ever so slightly but stability suffered a good deal (go figure).

For me, given the two choices, I'd go with the BLX 6.1 95. String pattern is dependent on the user preference, and for me, I wouldn't go wrong with either although I'd probably go with 18x20 and string it up with Tour Bite 18 at 52 lb.