PDA

View Full Version : Babolat E-Sense Frames (PD mold)

Bud
07-29-2011, 01:10 PM
I was at Sports Chalet yesterday and noticed these recreational Babolat frames. It's basically a Pure Drive without the cortex. It also has side woofer grommets only... none in the head or throat. The price is $85-$99 (online)

Here are the specs:
Babolat E-sense Comp (blue)
Length: 27"
Stiffness (unstrung): 65 (62-63 strung)
Head size: 100 sq. in. (appears to be PD mold)
Pattern: 16x19
Material: 100% graphite
Weight: 9.7 oz. unstrung (10.2 strung)
Balance (unstrung): 335 mm or about 2.5-3 points HL (even balance strung)

With the low static weight and HL balance, a frame like this is perfect for customization. I'm wondering if the drill pattern is the same as the PD (so I can install and try new Woofer grommets as well).

There's also an e-sense lite (yellow) that is 0.5 oz. lighter and 3 points more HH ◄◄

Anyone know if these frames play similarly to the original Pure Drive being it's the same mold and composition with no cortex?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/4586957285_713063a8a7.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4587582126_00f092c0f4.jpg

Fedace
07-29-2011, 01:17 PM
why is it so flexible ? 65 SI. Pure drives are 72 SI index. They should have made it that stiff.

Bud
07-29-2011, 01:26 PM
why is it so flexible ? 65 SI. Pure drives are 72 SI index. They should have made it that stiff.

It's quite a bit less stiff than the PD and contains nothing besides graphite. The fact is also has no cortex makes me wonder if it isn't very similar in feel to the original PD.

I think I'll buy one and customize it to the same weight and balance as the original PD then try it with the regular throat and head grommets and then the full woofer grommets.

flashfire276
07-29-2011, 01:44 PM
I've had my eye on these since it was announced earlier this year. I think you're onto something Bud. If it's built decent, and we can mod it correctly, we can probably recreate the Pure Drive non-Cortex.
I just hope that the racquet materials are decent quality to give a nice feel. It's flexy, which is a good sign.

Bud
07-29-2011, 01:50 PM
I've had my eye on these since it was announced earlier this year. I think you're onto something Bud. If it's built decent, and we can mod it correctly, we can probably recreate the Pure Drive non-Cortex.
I just hope that the racquet materials are decent quality to give a nice feel. It's flexy, which is a good sign.

I agree. I can tell you the stock grommets are lower quality than normal Babolat grommets. They look thinner and flimsier. That's why I was wondering if the Woofer grommets would fit the drill pattern.

However, the body and paint look decent. I can't imagine quality control is too much different for these versus the professional frames... which really probably aren't even the same frames the real pros receive.

I'll have to bite the bullet and buy one soon... then really examine it closely and determine how close the stock specs are to the printed specs.

I also notice that MW Sports sells a FO edition of the E-Sense Comp.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2nls9wh.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/23mo6fo.jpg

dgoran
07-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Back to the future this is like soft drive reincarnation :-)

Bud
07-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Back to the future this is like soft drive reincarnation :-)

What was the biggest difference between the original Pure Drive and the Soft Drive... stiffness?

BobFL
07-29-2011, 08:43 PM
What was the biggest difference between the original Pure Drive and the Soft Drive... stiffness?

and balance. SD was more HH/less HL...

CycloneSh0t
07-29-2011, 09:08 PM
I was at Sports Chalet yesterday and noticed these recreational Babolat frames. It's basically a Pure Drive without the cortex. It also has side woofer grommets only... none in the head or throat. The price is $85-$99 (online)

Here are the specs:
Babolat E-sense Comp (blue)
Length: 27"
Stiffness (unstrung): 65 (62-63 strung)
Head size: 100 sq. in. (appears to be PD mold)
Pattern: 16x19
Material: 100% graphite
Weight: 9.7 oz. unstrung (10.2 strung)
Balance (unstrung): 335 mm or about 2.5-3 points HL (even balance strung)

With the low static weight and HL balance, a frame like this is perfect for customization. I'm wondering if the drill pattern is the same as the PD (so I can install and try new Woofer grommets as well).

There's also an e-sense lite (yellow) that is 0.5 oz. lighter and 3 points more HH ◄◄

Anyone know if these frames play similarly to the original Pure Drive being it's the same mold and composition with no cortex?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/4586957285_713063a8a7.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4587582126_00f092c0f4.jpg

for sure let us know how it goes! i'm excited to hear your responses! PD TEAM REVIVAL hopefully!

BobFL
07-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Good stuff Bud! I think I saw them in my local SA. I will definitely check it out tomorrow and report back. Btw, the key here (apart from the mold which appears to be incredibly similar to say the lest) is the layup. Given the price I am kind of skeptical but hey! with a few yards of lead tape, it could be very close to the pre-cortex pd ...

Bud
07-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Good stuff Bud! I think I saw them in my local SA. I will definitely check it out tomorrow and report back. Btw, the key here (apart from the mold which appears to be incredibly similar to say the lest) is the layup. Given the price I am kind of skeptical but hey! with a few yards of lead tape, it could be very close to the pre-cortex pd ...

Lol... shouldn't take that much... just an ounce or so :)

Well, yeah maybe a few yards now that I calculate it ;)

Virtua Tennis
07-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Those racquets are not 100% graphite. The racquet industry is not the FDA where they have to tell you exact percentage used.

Also I have tried the E-sense racquets along with Pure drives before and after GT tech. All I can say is you get what you paid for. Pure Drives play more solid like a $200 racquet compared to the E-sense frames.

Bud
07-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Those racquets are not 100% graphite. The racquet industry is not the FDA where they have to tell you exact percentage used.

Also I have tried the E-sense racquets along with Pure drives before and after GT tech. All I can say is you get what you paid for. Pure Drives play more solid like a $200 racquet compared to the E-sense frames.

So, when they say 100% graphite, they're lying :confused:

I'd find it hard to believe there's really that much difference in the frame quality between these and a Pure Drive. The PD layup is more complex in that it contains tungsten weave... not to mention the name and player endorsements.

BTW, some people think Pure Drives feel like hollow plastic toys so I'd have to try it for myself to see if there is really any quality difference between the E-Sense frames and the Pure Drive frames ;)

flashfire276
07-29-2011, 10:25 PM
However, the body and paint look decent. I can't imagine quality control is too much different for these versus the professional frames... which really probably aren't even the same frames the real pros receive.

I certainly hope so. But let's remember, this is Babolat's range for mass-production racquets. Just like those low-class third-party retail racquets with dorky names like Head Liquidmetal Genesis, Wilson K Rage, and Prince Triple Threat Lightning, we'll probably have to expect the worst-case scenario. Sure, it's still graphite made. But it's going to be a lower-class graphite, which is not a good formula for our kind of taste.
If I remember correctly, the starting price on the E-Sense line is around $100. Worst case scenario, we use that money to find a cheap used Pure Drive non-Cortex right here on the TT Classifieds. BUT, if this thing really is a hidden gem, Babolat might have a new selling point (maybe not since the Rafa hype has died down a bit).

Ben Hadd
08-02-2011, 01:56 PM
I've seen this at Dicks too.

BobFL
08-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Guys, I failed :) SA is selling something similar but not the same.

Bud
08-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Guys, I failed :) SA is selling something similar but not the same.

I saw them at sports chalet

Bud
09-28-2011, 09:40 PM
I finally got my hands on one of these (the yellow E-sense Light) from a friend who is looking for more weight and pop from the frame.

I'm going to match it to the specs of a stock Pure Drive :)

BobFL
09-29-2011, 10:13 AM
I finally got my hands on one of these (the yellow E-sense Light) from a friend who is looking for more weight and pop from the frame.

I'm going to match it to the specs of a stock Pure Drive :)

Photos? :)

Bud
09-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Photos? :)

Waiting for the silicone in the handle to set...

Will post them when I finish it later :wink:

Bud
09-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Babolat E-Sense Light

Stock Specs (strung):
Weight: 10.2 oz. 290g
Balance: 2-3 pts. HH

Modified Specs (strung):
Weight: 11.5 oz. 325g
Balance: 5-6 pts. HL

Specs are with overgrip and dampener ◄

Added 20g of silicone and lead fishing weights inside the butt cap. Added 6g of lead at 3/9 o'clock.

I'll have a hit with it, later this evening

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DefG8g4h7ho/ToUAzRdP2ZI/AAAAAAAAOs0/wADp1M40Skc/s800/P1080043.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-s-Y3-0oxt-I/ToUAz3VgoPI/AAAAAAAAOs4/Jt64R-xTtVs/s800/P1080044.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-LM5KPuR4M_I/ToUA0l5JzzI/AAAAAAAAOs8/dDGxmdJ2V3k/s800/P1080045.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cFhNrr-Uh84/ToUA1Yp1UVI/AAAAAAAAOtA/M24E6pcRb4Y/s800/P1080046.JPG

user92626
09-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Looks awesome. Better if you burried the lead under bumper. What string is that?

Bud
09-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Looks awesome. Better if you burried the lead under bumper. What string is that?

Gosen Micro 18 mains at 52# and Isospeed Baseline 16g crosses at 42#

BTW, no bumpers at 3/9 ;)

10 pounds of difference?

Yes

Up&comer
09-29-2011, 04:12 PM
10 pounds of difference?

user92626
09-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Gosen Micro 18 mains at 52# and Isospeed Baseline 16g crosses at 42#

Hey, do the mains run/move alot in this hybrid? I'm debating whether to use synth gut with my isospeed Speed. I use gamma synth gut with polylon ice, which is a very slippery string, no?, and the gamma mains do not snap back straight :(

I truly hate mains staying split apart. Let me know.

Bartelby
09-29-2011, 05:35 PM
There's a blue e-sense comp that is 10 grams heavier.

BobFL
09-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Wow! It looks awesome! Thanks Mr. Bud :)

Waiting for a review now ;) Btw, I would REALLY like to know what the RA is lol

Bud
09-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Hey, do the mains run/move alot in this hybrid? I'm debating whether to use synth gut with my isospeed Speed. I use gamma synth gut with polylon ice, which is a very slippery string, no?, and the gamma mains do not snap back straight

I truly hate mains staying split apart. Let me know.

The mains move great along the crosses and snap back into place (that's why I string them 10 lbs. heavier than the crosses). I also spray the stringbed with silicone after every 4 hours of hitting, so that definitely helps as well.

There's a blue e-sense comp that is 10 grams heavier.

Yeah, that frame would be even better to customize, IMO. I had to make due with what was available, however :)

Wow! It looks awesome! Thanks Mr. Bud :)

Waiting for a review now ;) Btw, I would REALLY like to know what the RA is lol

It plays great. It feels very much like an original PD. It's so much more flexible in the hoop versus the current PD and APD's. The stringbed has a nice pop (sound) with this string hybrid. The frame also had excellent spin, most likely due to the string hybrid and extreme polarization I set it up with.

Overall, the quality of the finish and the feel from the stringbed is comparable to Babolat's high-end frames.

My friend picked it up brand new for $35 and I charged him $35 for all the customization and the stringjob. Great frame for $70 ;)

Bud
09-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Played another hour tonight with the frame. Yep, definitely reminiscent of the early PD's. Nice plush, soft feel on contact. The feel is not muted like the current PD as the frame has only side woofer grommets and no cortex.

IMO, those who liked the original would like this frame weighted and balanced to stock PD specs.

flashfire276
09-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Played another hour tonight with the frame. Yep, definitely reminiscent of the early PD's. Nice plush, soft feel on contact. The feel is not muted like the current PD as the frame has only side woofer grommets and no cortex.

IMO, those who liked the original would like this frame weighted and balanced to stock PD specs.

Another epic project Bud. Really, mad props to you.
Now, let's stock up on these "cheapo Babolat" frames!

Bud
09-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Another epic project Bud. Really, mad props to you.
Now, let's stock up on these "cheapo Babolat" frames!

I'd be interested to discover the stiffness of these frames from someone with a RDC machine.

BobFL
10-01-2011, 05:32 AM
The drill spacing is EXACTLY the same as on my pro stock PD (Moya's frame)! There is more space in the sweet spot area and the last cross is closer to the bridge. :) Good stuff!

Where did he find it for $35? :)

BobFL
10-01-2011, 05:48 AM
http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/bobfl/P1080043rr.jpg

Bud
10-01-2011, 10:54 AM
The drill spacing is EXACTLY the same as on my pro stock PD (Moya's frame)! There is more space in the sweet spot area and the last cross is closer to the bridge. :) Good stuff!

Where did he find it for $35? :)

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/bobfl/P1080043rr.jpg

Some scalper was selling it for $50 at the tennis courts. He hesitated and the guy immediately knocked off $15 from the price :)

I'd be curious to hit with these back to back to see how much different they really are.

nalvarado
10-01-2011, 12:25 PM
That looks amazing. If I come into some expendable cash soon I'll definitely pick one up for modding. Love my coach's PD Swirly but can't stand the new PDGTs.

nkjwlf
10-16-2013, 07:35 PM
Sorry to bring up this old thread. Would current pure drive grommets fit this? Thinking about getting a pair of the current model and bringing up to PDR specs in a polarized setup. Thanks.

SFrazeur
10-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Sorry to bring up this old thread. Would current pure drive grommets fit this? Thinking about getting a pair of the current model and bringing up to PDR specs in a polarized setup. Thanks.

I have an E-Sense Comp, I will check if the holes line up tomorrow morning. Central Time.

nkjwlf
10-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Thank you so much!

Ross K
10-17-2013, 03:06 AM
What a fascinating thread recently bumped up again... anyone else 'done a Bud' and played with one of these lighter cheaper flexier Babs care to comment on their findings?...

SFrazeur
10-17-2013, 03:59 AM
Relatively stable and maneuverable the E-Sense Comp 2012 has a smaller sweet spot than Pure Drives, PD Roddicks and Drive Z. It has a bit of a hollow feel that the Team and Cortex pure drive versions suffered from. It only has woofer grommets at 3&9 and lacks that woofer feel that I enjoy but others hate. In some ways it feels like an older 100' racquet.

nkjwlf
10-17-2013, 04:29 AM
As for the grommets from a pure drive fitting. I would like to usr Pure Drive woofer throat grommets.

niktub
10-17-2013, 04:40 AM
Could you use the new pure drive grommets(woofer) on a first gen pure drive(no woofer)?

nkjwlf
10-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Sfrazeur did you check out the grommets?

SFrazeur
10-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Sfrazeur did you check out the grommets?

They are different. An entire Pure Drive grommet set will not fit. You might be able to exchange the bridge grommet piece but I cannot tell if the drilled holes are large enough. I do not get why they used a different drill pattern.

nkjwlf
10-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I could have woofer grommets at 3, 6, and 9.

NickShot
11-02-2013, 06:14 AM
Are the grip size/shape the same as the PD? Also, any more thoughts on this frame? Thanks

SFrazeur
03-27-2014, 07:03 PM
Are the grip size/shape the same as the PD? Also, any more thoughts on this frame? Thanks

The buttcap is different: cheaper, lacks a trap door, flatter bottom, lacks the angular bevels of the quality buttcaps. In the hand it does not feel the same either. The handle shape feels the same however.

KYHacker
03-28-2014, 06:58 AM
I bought some of these a while ago and sold them to a friend of mine who was looking for a softer-flex Pure Drive. They are a Pure Drive without cortex and with a little less weight in the handle and a little more weight in the hoop. SW was somewhere around 320-325 if I recall. Cosmetics on the frame weren't great, but it played like a champ.

Does have the cheaper buttcap without a trapdoor and a truly horrible factory grip. Grip is an easy fix of course.

I did take it into a local shop to compare to the Pure Drive grommets and the string spacing is slightly different from current Pure Drives but it looked like Pure Drive Light grommets had the same spacing. Of course, this was just eyeballing it and they might not work.

nkjwlf
06-06-2014, 05:28 AM
Pure Drive and Pure Drive Light have the same spacing. The grommets are interchangeable. Pure Drive original grommets should fit since the E Sense came from that mould.

KYHacker
06-06-2014, 09:55 AM
I don't think original Pure Drive grommets were woofer grommets. I could be mistaken, but I think there is a slight difference in the string spacing on the PDL versus the PD.

nkjwlf
06-06-2014, 11:36 AM
I put white Aero Pro Drive grommets from a lite or a Team on a regular Aero Pro Drive. I know we are discussing Pure Drives however

A_Instead
06-07-2014, 04:20 AM
Can anyone give a brief overview to how E Sense Comp plays?

KYHacker
06-07-2014, 05:26 AM
Pretty much like a Pure Drive. A little less pop, a little more spin.

A_Instead
06-07-2014, 05:36 AM
Less pop due to less weight and more spin due to faster acceleration i assume.

You also play with the Rebel 105? How is that?

nkjwlf
06-07-2014, 05:54 AM
Any more info on the Pure Drive grommets?

KYHacker
06-07-2014, 06:45 AM
Rebel 105 is great. I have added weight to the handle. 339g. Players frame with a little extra forgiveness. Sort of like Dunlop 200+. Great frame if you can find it. Not as powerful as Juice/PD type frames. Had to give up my Juice 100S due to stiffness in my neck.

More spin and less pop mainly due to lower flex. Mass in the head is pretty much the same as the Pure Drive. A little less weight in the handle. Pattern is a little more open than Pure Drive in the version that I had- gives a little of the pop back. Great frame if you add a leather grip. Add a tiny amount of lead (2-4g) at 12 if you need even more pop and spin. My buddy switched to it and is hitting a great ball with it.

Stock grip and stock string job makes it feel worse. Strung way too high on factory string job (mine were @ 60). Swap out grip and string with a nice poly around 52 or multi at 57 and you are good to go.

Power Player
06-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Less pop due to less weight and more spin due to faster acceleration i assume.

You also play with the Rebel 105? How is that?

No - Pop is what stiffness brings to a racquet.

Power is from additional weight - most importantly, swing weight.

More spin due to higher head speed for sure.

More dwell time (opposite of pop) due to flex.

A_Instead
06-08-2014, 11:48 AM
A less stiff, less poweful PD would be a nice option.

KYHacker
06-08-2014, 01:36 PM
It exists and it about $130 cheaper. Cosmetics aren't as nice. But, those that like paying for really expensive paint ....

Bud
06-08-2014, 02:39 PM
I weighted up a friend's to the PD specs and it played like a very flexy PD. Too bad they don't offer this frame with a better butt cap, grip and proper grommets.

KYHacker
06-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Well, grip is about $5. I actually don't mind the buttcap. That still leaves $125!

nkjwlf
06-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Is it confirmed no model of Pure Drive, Lite or otherwise will fit?

KYHacker
06-08-2014, 07:34 PM
Just eyeballed it a while back, but it looks like Pure Drive Lite grommets will work. TW lists Pure Drive and Pure Drive Lite grommets as different parts. You might need a high heat hair dryer to make it work a la the effort needed to install CAP grommets on older Head Radicals.

You don't really need the different grommets though. Woofer is in the hitting area. That's pretty much what matters.

SteveI
06-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Just got the TW special. $69.99 for the frame and the shoes... I added a few things and no shipping or tax. Let you know how this one plays. It has Woffer Grommets... :-)

Steve

Bud
06-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Just got the TW special. $69.99 for the frame and the shoes... I added a few things and no shipping or tax. Let you know how this one plays. It has Woffer Grommets... :-)

Steve

IIRC, doesn't it only have side woofer grommets?

Wowee.. great price BTW. Almost like the racquet was free.

A_Instead
06-09-2014, 05:58 PM
SteveI,
Keep us posted when you get it..

Anton
06-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Just ordered the TW special, will get it to 11.7oz and see how it goes.

SteveI
06-10-2014, 02:23 AM
IIRC, doesn't it only have side woofer grommets?

Wowee.. great price BTW. Almost like the racquet was free.

Yes... looks like only the side grommets. Yuppers..either the frame or the shoes are free. I like the fact that the RA was 63...that was cool. Looks like a perfect "platform" frame. I can see that the hardware is not quite as good as the PD/APD line... but did you expect it to be? :-). BTW.. I have hit with this frame stock as one of my students has this one. Only a few mins.. but was very interested and when this deal hit it was too good to be true. The frame pretty much plays as the spec would indicate. The one I used was a bit more HL than specs... 2 points HL vs 1 point HH.. that could be just QA.

Getting mine on Friday...:-)

Steve

burn1986
06-10-2014, 07:24 PM
You can get one of these and a pair of Babalot shoes for $69 at Tennis Warehouse.

hellonewbie
06-11-2014, 09:55 PM
I received and tested the TW special today. Racquet came strung so I just played with it. The E-Sense Comp is a decent racquet, feels a bit lower powered and less dampened than my current Head IG Youtek Extreme Pro 2.0. Since the E-Sense is a bit lighter, it seems to spin-serve a little better. I can see it used for doubles where quickness + decent power would make it useful. Definitely worth the $35 for half of the TW deal. The shoes were good too, fit snug (ordered half size smaller) and felt light on my feet. Though the insoles seemed on the thin side so I felt it's not as cushy as I like, with a closer to the ground kind of feel.

Anton
06-12-2014, 05:06 AM
I received and tested the TW special today. Racquet came strung so I just played with it. The E-Sense Comp is a decent racquet, feels a bit lower powered and less dampened than my current Head IG Youtek Extreme Pro 2.0. Since the E-Sense is a bit lighter, it seems to spin-serve a little better. I can see it used for doubles where quickness + decent power would make it useful. Definitely worth the $35 for half of the TW deal. The shoes were good too, fit snug (ordered half size smaller) and felt light on my feet. Though the insoles seemed on the thin side so I felt it's not as cushy as I like, with a closer to the ground kind of feel.

LOL it is not "a bit lighter". It is over an ounce and half lighter (10.1 oz vs 11.8oz), to compare them directly is silly talk. Adding weight to a 10oz racket is pretty much a must.

KYHacker
06-12-2014, 05:36 AM
Add at least 12g of lead under the grip. It will play much more solidly.

hellonewbie
06-12-2014, 06:12 AM
LOL it is not "a bit lighter". It is over an ounce and half lighter (10.1 oz vs 11.8oz), to compare them directly is silly talk. Adding weight to a 10oz racket is pretty much a must.

The E-Sense is a bit head heavy though, so in hand it felt not as light as overall weight suggests.

ItalianStallion
06-12-2014, 06:20 AM
I ordered one of the TW specials as well and a APD/PD butt cap (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Butt_Caps_Aero__Pure/descpageBAB-BBUTTNL.html) to make customization easier...hope it fits!

Anton
06-12-2014, 08:02 AM
The E-Sense is a bit head heavy though, so in hand it felt not as light as overall weight suggests.

Yes, the swing weight maybe relatively high because of weight on top of the loop, but stability and comfort will still be highly compromized

SteveI
06-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Just got mine and do remember testing this when one of students picked one up. The build is fine and the grommet are only the side woofers. The grip is the White Uptake and strung with N.Vy (1.30mm). My frame is 10.35 oz strung and is dead on even balance. SW on the specs is 282 (unstrung). I have not hit with yet (mine) it but I think the TW SW of 310 is pretty close. Feels much more Head Heavy. Great looking frame and the shoes are awesome. Great deal for a low intermediate or improving junior. I would have to install a leather grip and some lead on this one to get it to my spec. This one reminds me the Dunlop Spirit 100 (The mold looks the same!!) from a few years back. Not quite a "ProShop" grade frame but still a nice frame for most folks. RA listed with the specs is 66.. which means about 63 when strung. I try to get out and do some testing when the rains stop. Love the look.. the Black, Red and White. Another great deal from TW. The shoes alone are worth $70.00.

SteveI
06-12-2014, 10:49 AM

Does not measure as Head Heavy but sure swings that way. Of course, I never play with a frame that is not at least 6 points HL. SW is 310 or so for sure.

ItalianStallion
06-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Mine came in yesterday. Gonna take it for a hit this evening. I'm leaving it stock, except for some grip tape and dampner - it weighs and 300g (10.60oz) and 2pts HL right now. If it hits as good as it looks, what a deal for only $69!!!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cbF3hpnTiYM/U5ta9z5UC7I/AAAAAAAAAr8/GTr987v_-qc/w758-h569-no/20140613_113312.jpg

A_Instead
06-14-2014, 05:12 AM
Any more play tests?

ItalianStallion
06-14-2014, 06:34 AM
I hit with it for an hour last evening - for me, it provides easy power and nice spin - the sweet spot seems a bit higher than I'm used too. Not the best racquet I've ever hit with, but feel better to me than any other Babolat frame I've tested (ie. Pure Drives and Storms) - those had too much of a dampned feel, but not this one.
I'm going to keep it in stock configuration for a bit more and may eventually add some weight in the handle to get it a bit more HL.

Bud
06-14-2014, 09:50 AM
I hit with it for an hour last evening - for me, it provides easy power and nice spin - the sweet spot seems a bit higher than I'm used too. Not the best racquet I've ever hit with, but feel better to me than any other Babolat frame I've tested (ie. Pure Drives and Storms) - those had too much of a dampned feel, but not this one.
I'm going to keep it in stock configuration for a bit more and may eventually add some weight in the handle to get it a bit more HL.

The feel of this frame is pretty pure since it's relatively flexible, 100% graphite and no cortex.

When you're tired of it in stock form, boost the weight/balance up to what you're used to.

Anyone know if the PD Lite grommets will fit the E-sense?

Bud
06-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Mine came in yesterday. Gonna take it for a hit this evening. I'm leaving it stock, except for some grip tape and dampner - it weighs and 300g (10.60oz) and 2pts HL right now. If it hits as good as it looks, what a deal for only $69!!!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cbF3hpnTiYM/U5ta9z5UC7I/AAAAAAAAAr8/GTr987v_-qc/w758-h569-no/20140613_113312.jpg

Yes... looks like only the side grommets. Yuppers..either the frame or the shoes are free. I like the fact that the RA was 63...that was cool. Looks like a perfect "platform" frame. I can see that the hardware is not quite as good as the PD/APD line... but did you expect it to be? :-). BTW.. I have hit with this frame stock as one of my students has this one. Only a few mins.. but was very interested and when this deal hit it was too good to be true. The frame pretty much plays as the spec would indicate. The one I used was a bit more HL than specs... 2 points HL vs 1 point HH.. that could be just QA.

Getting mine on Friday...:-)

Steve

How are the shoes? Do they fit true to size? Did you go up/down a size? Any other colorways available?

This is such a great deal, I'm considering it as well :)

- - - -

I just went to order and no grip sizes are appearing for the E-Sense frame. Looks like they sold-out.

ItalianStallion
06-16-2014, 06:20 AM
How are the shoes? Do they fit true to size? Did you go up/down a size? Any other colorways available?

This is such a great deal, I'm considering it as well :)

- - - -

I just went to order and no grip sizes are appearing for the E-Sense frame. Looks like they sold-out.

Yeah looks like the deal is over. The shoes a really comfortable and seem to fit true to size. I'm still breaking them in before wearing them on the court. I did get to compare the E-Sense to a Pure Drive Roddick GT, and they molds do look identical. They feel similar - with the difference that the Pure Drive was stiffer and a bit heavier. I really liked the feel of the E-Sense and contacted TW to see if they will ever get anymore in. I could use one as a backup!

robbo1970
06-16-2014, 06:42 AM
I've just noticed this thread about these E-Sense rackets. I'm actually looking to get something with a slightly larger headsize and more easy power than my current Bio 300 and this thread just caught my eye.

Are these E-Sense rackets good then? How about others like the Pulsion and Reakt? The APD and PD seem to get the attention in this category of rackets but do you guys think we genuinely may be missing a trick with these other models?

ItalianStallion
06-16-2014, 10:42 AM
I think these racquets are a hidden gem - I haven't gotten this excited about a pre-strung racquet since I found some Head Ti Carbons to back up my Ti Radial Tour back in the day! LOL!

I just got word from Tennis Warehouse that the E-Sense are being discontinued by Babolat and they won't be getting anymore. They were nice enough to send me a link to a competitor that has them in stock - that's what I call service. Kudos TW!

robbo1970
06-16-2014, 12:48 PM
I think the Reakt is the replacement.

Bud
06-16-2014, 03:04 PM
I think the Reakt is the replacement.

Is the Reakt a Babolat frame?

Seems like those are European frames and 102 sq. in. head size.

Roddickulous
06-16-2014, 06:36 PM
I think these racquets are a hidden gem - I haven't gotten this excited about a pre-strung racquet since I found some Head Ti Carbons to back up my Ti Radial Tour back in the day! LOL!

I just got word from Tennis Warehouse that the E-Sense are being discontinued by Babolat and they won't be getting anymore. They were nice enough to send me a link to a competitor that has them in stock - that's what I call service. Kudos TW!

E-sense is not being discontinued. Just that paintjob. The new one is already available.

Bud
06-16-2014, 08:11 PM
E-sense is not being discontinued. Just that paintjob. The new one is already available.

Is it blue?

Roddickulous
06-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Is it blue?

Yes. Comp is blue, lites are available in pink or yellow

courtking
06-17-2014, 01:39 PM
but the package deal with the shoes is gone? I saw a few racket available but not the free shoes included???

BlueB
06-17-2014, 03:59 PM
That's right. I spoke to TW earlier on. No more shoes deal.

Anton
06-19-2014, 11:24 AM
I played with it for an hour or so in this configuration:

2 x 0.25" leadtape spanning from 8 to 4 (+10 grams?)

Lead and leather on handle (leather +6g, lead +8g).

Stock strings are syntheticcrap but the frame is very similar to how my siliconed APD Original feels - very much one piece solid but without bouncyness of newer, stiffer babolats. I instantly regretted not getting two.

I'll put in full poly and some more weight on 3 and 9 and give some more feedback.

Bud
06-19-2014, 12:52 PM
I played with it for an hour or so in this configuration:

2 x 0.25" leadtape spanning from 8 to 4 (+10 grams?)

Lead and leather on handle (leather +6g, lead +8g).

Stock strings are syntheticcrap but the frame is very similar to how my siliconed APD Original feels - very much one piece solid but without bouncyness of newer, stiffer babolats. I instantly regretted not getting two.

I'll put in full poly and some more weight on 3 and 9 and give some more feedback.

Do you have a scale and balance board?

A_Instead
06-19-2014, 01:24 PM
"Frence Open" E Sense are the same racquet. That was the paint scheme 2 years ago or so..
You can still find those from other sources...
I saw them at the big sporting store this past weekend.
Same name as your Junk.

Anton
06-19-2014, 05:45 PM
Do you have a scale and balance board?

yep, will do that once I get the racket back from the stringer and setup fully figured out

nkjwlf
06-20-2014, 06:25 AM
Daniel "Babolat Official" says Pure Drive grommets will fit. I asked the question on his thread. Do we have any visual proof of this working? Can anyone confirm the composition of the materials in the frame? If Pure Drive Lite grommets fit and it is a graphite composition what a find.

Bud
06-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Daniel "Babolat Official" says Pure Drive grommets will fit. I asked the question on his thread. Do we have any visual proof of this working? Can anyone confirm the composition of the materials in the frame? If Pure Drive Lite grommets fit and it is a graphite composition what a find.

IIRC, the ES does not have the same drill pattern as the current PD

ItalianStallion
06-22-2014, 12:14 PM
"Frence Open" E Sense are the same racquet. That was the paint scheme 2 years ago or so..
You can still find those from other sources...
I saw them at the big sporting store this past weekend.
Same name as your Junk.

Yeah - It appears to be the same frame with the RG paint-job. I wasn't a fan of it, but my wife liked it and ordered one for cheap. It should be here in a few days, and I'll compare them.

The big box stores near me want $99 for the E-Sense Comp...I found a blue E-Sense Lite for almost half that elsewhere online and ordered one. The lot and specs look nearly identical to it except its 0.3 ounces lighter..nothing that can't be fixed with a little lead tape under the handle :)

ItalianStallion
07-01-2014, 07:25 AM
E-Sense Family Pic:

Left (Blue) - E-Sense Comp Lite
Middle (Red) - E-Sense Comp
Right (Brown/White) - E-Sense Comp (Roland Garros Edition)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hhjkKCsL6_c/U7LD4iCg8II/AAAAAAAAAtk/_JSH4WkJfBM/w1185-h889-no/Babolat+Family.jpg

These are all the same racquet in feel and composition. The only difference is the E-Sense Comp Lite (Blue) is lighter and head heavy due to less silicone gel inside the handle. I was able to bring it up to spec to an E-Sense Comp by adding 10 grams of lead tape inside the handle. If anyone needs a spare, the Comp Lite and Roland Garros editions are viable since they were around $50.

dgoran
07-01-2014, 07:39 AM
IIRC, the ES does not have the same drill pattern as the current PD

Bud is right drill pattern is more like old moyas soft drive (more open pattern). I doubt it will fit I did not try to say with 100% certainty but I am sure the drill pattern is more open

KYHacker
07-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Pretty sure drill pattern is the same as Pure Drive Lite and original Pure Drive.

ItalianStallion
07-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Pretty sure drill pattern is the same as Pure Drive Lite and original Pure Drive.

I just looked at the stringing instructions posted on KlipperMate's site:
Racquet Name Tension Length Pattern Skip M Holes Tie Off M Start C Tie Off C

PURE DRIVE + CORTEX GT 55 - 62 20'M - 19'C 16M X 19C 8T - 8B 6B 8T 7T - 10B

PURE DRIVE LITE GT 55 - 62 20'M - 19'C 16M X 19C 8T - 8B 6B 8T 7T - 10B

E-SENSE COMP 50 - 55 20'M - 19'C 16M X 19C 7,9T - 7,9B 8B 7T 8T - 5B

The skip holes are different from the Pure Drives..doesn't that also mean so will the grommet pattern will also be different?