PDA

View Full Version : light-ish shoes that can hold an orthotic?

Hapless
07-29-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm playing right now with the Prince Scream 3, which had heavy cushioning that I needed while dealing with a hip injury. The injury has been surgically fixed, so now that I'm on the mend I find the Scream is sluggish (I'm 5'9" and a little under 150lbs, with a pronating gait and wide forefoot).

I'm a 3.0 player that tends to use the whole court (mainly rec play), and would prefer something a little lighter than the Screams (which are over a pound). However, I need the shoe to hold an orthotic.

Any suggestions on a comfortable shoe, under a pound, that can hold an orthotic?

Davro
07-29-2011, 04:38 PM
I use orthotics in both my Nike Breathes and my Adidas Barricade. The Nikes are definitely lighter but not as durable.

wrxinsc
07-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Try the new Prince T22. Not as sluggish and very very stable. I used a half size up due to the wide flappers i call feet and there would be a little room in there for an orthotic.

martini1
07-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Try Asics. Their insoles can be taken out just like an insert. I am wearing gel res 3 + superfeet green. Never felt better after my one year long case of PF.

CANTGETENOUGHTENNIS!
07-29-2011, 05:52 PM
i recommend the babolat propulse 3. they have great cushioning, great durability, and are actually surprisingly light.

Hapless
07-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Will try some of these out in the next week or so

Boxer
07-31-2011, 12:23 PM
What problem are the orthotics trying to correct for??

I used my orthotics in Barricade 5's but it took a while to bed them in because the foot bed under the liner is not really very flat. Then the B6's came along all narrow and extra sharp in outside forefoot curve...time to move on.

If you have over-pronating feet (i.e. relatively flat, like mine) you will probably do better with shoes that have comparatively _less_ cushioning underfoot (you don't want the orthotic sinking into the padding, that defeats the support value).

I have settled on the Babolat Propulse 3 now after trying most everything else you can imagine. The liner comes out of these and has a flat foot bed which is wide enough to fit the most supportive orthotics I have and provides firm support underfoot. The heel and bridge straps let me get a nice supportive fit once I shove the orthotics in to the shoes. Highly recommended.

If you have high arches, feet that supinate more, then you probably want more padding rather than less for shock absorption under your arch. The Asics Gel Relsolution 3 is a good choice there -- also has the flat, relatively wide foot bed but with more cushioned feel underfoot. Too much squish in these for me to use (I did try), but I know a couple of folks locally that are supinators that use custom orthotics who do really well in these.

Good luck...nothing worse than foot pain when all you want to do is get on and play.