PDA

View Full Version : Racket/string for me

Lateralus
07-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Hi. I started playing tennis 10 years ago, but only the last few years have been on a regular basis. As tennis is not very big here (Norway), I have not taken any courses or such and is entirely self taught. I now want to take it to a new level and I am going to take some private lessons. What I would like from is some advice on equipment.

Despite the low level, I am very competative by nature which has its ups and downs. I have gotten better than my friends, but I also destroy a couple of rackets every year. Very childish behaviour in this setting, and I have promised myself to stop. My current racket is a Wilson k-four FX, but I smashed one yesterday and my reserve has some cracks. This is by far my favourite of the 15 or so I have had so far, but the strings on both of them got loose pretty fast which both makes for some total mishits and having to straighten them after every point. My "club" has not gotten a stringer, and I would therefore prefer strings that keeps their tension for a long time.

I think I could best describe my game as very similar to that of Philippe Petzschner. On a completely different level obviously, but I got good pace on serve and forehand, and slice my backhand >90% of the time. I love to come to the net as much as I can, despite my beyond pathetic overhead.

I hope some of you bother to read the long post, as I know there are many knowledgeable people posting here. Money is not the biggest issue, but I would guess things like headsize, weight, balance and strings matters more than having the a top model.

Any advice regarding racket/string combo, in any price range would be much appreciated.

Anton
07-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Honestly at a low level it really doesn't matter what you play with so long as you like the feel. You don't really give much detail about yourself and your game for me to recommend a specific frame.

Having said that, if you want to improve quickly (as opposed to being the most competitive RIGHT NOW) I'd recommend a soft or medium soft racket with 11+ oz weight (depending on how strong you are) to it to start out.

A soft racket will force you to get proper ball drive and the heavy weight will force you into smoother strokes and give you better feel of racket momentum.

HEAD Youtek Instinct is a nice all a rounder that can fit just about anyone, with any game style. It's on sale too.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_YOUTEK_Instinct/descpageRCHEAD-YTINST.html

Lateralus
07-29-2011, 06:06 PM
I might add I very much prefer the fast indoor season, which in Norway thankfully is 9 months a year, over claycourts. My forehand is pretty flat, and the backhand is rarely used for anything else than passing shots. I have a decent slice and flat serve, but I struggle a lot putting spin on my second. As often as I can, I will go for an offensive forehand or slice and follow it in.

Thank you very much for the racket advice. Any suggestions for strings and tension?

Anton
07-29-2011, 08:32 PM
I might add I very much prefer the fast indoor season, which in Norway thankfully is 9 months a year, over claycourts. My forehand is pretty flat, and the backhand is rarely used for anything else than passing shots. I have a decent slice and flat serve, but I struggle a lot putting spin on my second. As often as I can, I will go for an offensive forehand or slice and follow it in.

Thank you very much for the racket advice. Any suggestions for strings and tension?

Flat hitters and volleyers usually like heavier, more headlight, soft tight pattern rackets like Rebel 95. Rebel is the best of the breed to play with IMO, though Power Bridge 10 Mid from Volkl is pretty nice too and is better quality frame.

So long as you don't mind near 12oz rackets it will be a good fit for you. Soft 17 or 17L gauge poly like Signum Pro Hyperion or Topspin Silver at mid tension works well.

Lateralus
07-30-2011, 04:53 AM
Thanks again, much appreciated.

msalamon
08-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Flat hitters and volleyers usually like heavier, more headlight, soft tight pattern rackets like Rebel 95. Rebel is the best of the breed to play with IMO, though Power Bridge 10 Mid from Volkl is pretty nice too and is better quality frame.

So long as you don't mind near 12oz rackets it will be a good fit for you. Soft 17 or 17L gauge poly like Signum Pro Hyperion or Topspin Silver at mid tension works well.

what is the difference between 17 and 17L?

Anton
08-02-2011, 09:03 PM
what is the difference between 17 and 17L?

17L is size between 17 and 18 gauge.