PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed switching frames

beez71
07-29-2011, 04:54 PM
I was hoping to get some advice on switching frames. I have been playing with the Prince Triple Threat Bandit OS for several years. It has been a good frame but it is obviously not an advanced stick. I am a solid 5.0 baseliner who hits with very heavy topspin and the frame has served me well until recently. As I get older I have started to develop tennis elbow. I have read that head heavy and light frames add to the chances of developing tennis elbow. I have demoed a large number of players sticks but can't really seem to make a decision and since they are all head light they are significantly different than the Bandit. Does anyone here have any recommendations?

Thank you in advance for any advice. I appreciate the help.

tata
07-29-2011, 04:59 PM
prince exo3 graphite? near even balance at only 2pts headlight yet manageable for an advanced player like yourself. its a midplus frame so at least you don't need to tone down to a much smaller headsize to what you were used to. though im not sure if that will affect your game since it wont be as whippy as you would like

tata
07-29-2011, 05:01 PM
or perhaps the K/BLX 6.1 95 seems like a good players racquet with weight and a very headlight balance

beez71
07-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. I have demoed each of the frames (Prince EX03 Graphite and the Wilson 6.1 BLX 95). I liked them both but they seemed to be significantly heavier than the Bandit and didn't generate the same spin or power. The control of each was much better than the Bandit but I had trouble countering attacking balls to my one handed backhand. I only played with each for about a week and perhaps I didn't give them a long enough trial run. I may just have to bite the bullet and take the time to get used to heavier, lower powered, and less spin friendly frames for my elbows sake.

Thanks again. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

tata
07-29-2011, 05:37 PM
How about trying the rebel team and k 6.1 team? though they are close to even balance they are lighter and are a more manageable version of their heavier counter parts

beez71
07-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Tata, Thank you again. I haven't tried either of those but will. The specs look much more forgiving.

TheOneHander
07-29-2011, 05:55 PM
I know I plug my own frame a lot, but I'd add the Aero Storm GT to that list. It's not heavy by any of stretch of the imagination and generates good topspin. It's also fairly forgiving and has just enough extra power on tap to be useful. I'd highly recommend checking it out!

beez71
07-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Thank you for the recommendation. I have hit with the cortex version of this frame, is the GT much different?

TheOneHander
07-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Thank you for the recommendation. I have hit with the cortex version of this frame, is the GT much different?

It's been a while since I've played the Cortex model, but the distinctive quality between them is that the GT is much more solid. I use that word a lot, but for such a light frame, it's incredibly stable! Even moreso than my Prestige Mid, IMHO.

beez71
07-29-2011, 07:15 PM
It's been a while since I've played the Cortex model, but the distinctive quality between them is that the GT is much more solid. I use that word a lot, but for such a light frame, it's incredibly stable! Even moreso than my Prestige Mid, IMHO.

Thank you. I'll give the GT a shot.

tnsanydy
07-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Thank you. I'll give the GT a shot.

Don't forget to try out the re-released Slazenger Pro braided. It's a good racket but an .oz lighter than the PSC 6.1 95 where it was based on. Spin potential is good and good pop on serves. Also reasonably priced for a players racket. The sweet spot is small, any shot not centered lose depth right away but choosing a more playable string and lower string tension fixes that problem. :)

whomad15
07-29-2011, 08:40 PM
you can just add lead to your bandit in the handle, or the throat. make it more headlight and heavier at the same time.
also if your arm just started acting up, have you changed strings lately?
I'd say try out the POG OS, classic frame and there's a reason it's been around for 20+ years. Plenty of pop/spin while being heavy and an OS with a decent balance.
I used when I first developed arm problems and it solved a lot of them. Still use the POG today, just a mid now as my game has gotten better, still nice to hit with the OS every once in a while though.

TheOneHander
07-29-2011, 09:00 PM
you can just add lead to your bandit in the handle, or the throat. make it more headlight and heavier at the same time.

Adding it in the throat really does nothing for balance. If it has a trapdoor, which most Princes don't, he could add some easily add weight in the buttcap. But for ease of customization...it might be best to look for new frames.

fuzz nation
07-30-2011, 04:26 AM
First thing I'm wondering is what sort of string you're using. If you've got any of the polys, co-polys, or kevlar in your racquet, even in a hybrid, get rid of it immediately and switch to a softer string type. That harsh stuff can wail on a player's arm even if it's paired with a super arm-friendly racquet. Multifibers are good, but natural gut is even better.

Aside from being light, I'm pretty sure that your racquet is also quite stiff. That combo of spec's is typically more harsh on a players elbow, but most of the gear with a much more arm-friendly reputation will have a flex rating in the low/mid 60's or below, along with a little heft so that it can be somewhat stable at contact and still "tell" the ball where to go.

Yes, there is such a thing as too much racquet flex for some players. It will make a frame feel too unresponsive, especially when hitting more compact shots including blocked returns of serve or volleys. Everyone has their comfort zone and fortunately you're test driving some different options. While a different racquet with a lot more weight or a lot more flex might seem quite foreign for you in action, you might get a good combo of power, control, and comfort from a frame with a little more of each.

One thought is to recommend a tryout with either an OS or mid-plus model of the Radicals, either from the MG or LM generation. Both are very good racquets with very civilized price tags. If you love a combination of power and spin, you might also enjoy a Pure Drive in one form or another (they're also quite stiff, though). Plenty of our friends around the tennis world already do.

I'm cringing a little bit just thinking about hitting a one-handed backhand with a TT Bandit and I'm honestly not surprised that your elbow is hurting, even if you've got good solid technique. Heavier racquets require a little different swing timing, but I recommend that you give a few more of them a decent shake. You may find that you get an extra measure of control so that when you take a full swing at the ball, you can actually play with more power, even if the racquet's "pop" seems slightly diminished. You might even get the feeling that the heavier alternative can do more work for you, but maybe not. When you find a nice fit, you'll feel it.

beez71
07-30-2011, 05:39 AM
also if your arm just started acting up, have you changed strings lately?
I'd say try out the POG OS, classic frame and there's a reason it's been around for 20+ years. Plenty of pop/spin while being heavy and an OS with a decent balance.
I used when I first developed arm problems and it solved a lot of them. Still use the POG today, just a mid now as my game has gotten better, still nice to hit with the OS every once in a while though.

Thank you whomad. I have tried adding lead tape but the Bandit becomes a bit unwieldy. I will take a look at the POG OS. I really appreciate the advice.

beez71
07-30-2011, 05:43 AM
First thing I'm wondering is what sort of string you're using. If you've got any of the polys, co-polys, or kevlar in your racquet, even in a hybrid, get rid of it immediately and switch to a softer string type. That harsh stuff can wail on a player's arm even if it's paired with a super arm-friendly racquet. Multifibers are good, but natural gut is even better.

Aside from being light, I'm pretty sure that your racquet is also quite stiff. That combo of spec's is typically more harsh on a players elbow, but most of the gear with a much more arm-friendly reputation will have a flex rating in the low/mid 60's or below, along with a little heft so that it can be somewhat stable at contact and still "tell" the ball where to go.

Yes, there is such a thing as too much racquet flex for some players. It will make a frame feel too unresponsive, especially when hitting more compact shots including blocked returns of serve or volleys. Everyone has their comfort zone and fortunately you're test driving some different options. While a different racquet with a lot more weight or a lot more flex might seem quite foreign for you in action, you might get a good combo of power, control, and comfort from a frame with a little more of each.

One thought is to recommend a tryout with either an OS or mid-plus model of the Radicals, either from the MG or LM generation. Both are very good racquets with very civilized price tags. If you love a combination of power and spin, you might also enjoy a Pure Drive in one form or another (they're also quite stiff, though). Plenty of our friends around the tennis world already do.

I'm cringing a little bit just thinking about hitting a one-handed backhand with a TT Bandit and I'm honestly not surprised that your elbow is hurting, even if you've got good solid technique. Heavier racquets require a little different swing timing, but I recommend that you give a few more of them a decent shake. You may find that you get an extra measure of control so that when you take a full swing at the ball, you can actually play with more power, even if the racquet's "pop" seems slightly diminished. You might even get the feeling that the heavier alternative can do more work for you, but maybe not. When you find a nice fit, you'll feel it.

Fuzz nation, that is great input and I think you really touched on something I hadn't mentioned yet. I do think that my arm problems began when I started stringing with a poly hybrid. I have since changed and now use a softer nylon.

I did try the Pure Drives for a while and liked them quite a bit. They didn't seem to offer much in terms of arm relief however. I haven't tried the microgels yet but I will add them to my demo list.

Thank you again for taking the time to help me with my decision. It has been very helpful.

Mdubb23
07-30-2011, 06:25 AM
beez71, I'd really urge you to take a look at the ProKennex Kinetic Pro 7G. Though it is noticeably heavier than your Bandit OS, it's an incredibly comfortable frame (as are most PK frames), has a relatively large head, and most importantly, is 27.5 in long. It also still has 16 mains, and IMO, next to length and stiffness, the most distinctive quality of a racquet is its string pattern. For me, there's just something about the frame that clicks, and there's a reason it's been on the market for ten years.

Ben Hadd
07-30-2011, 10:05 AM
YT Radical Pro. Its only 2pt head light, and has great plow through, nice spin. Stick is good off the shelf.