PDA

View Full Version : Head Prestige grip - to short - Any solution?

Hankenstein
07-30-2011, 07:36 AM
The length of the grip on Head Prestige-frames are simply to short and made for players with onehanded backhands. For me, with a twohanded backhand and big hands, i have to use the a fair bith a the throat of the frame, where itīs ofcourse much thinner compared to the pallet.

I tried to see if it was possible to extend the pallets up over the normal hairpin up on the throat but it didnt work out good.

Have anyone tried to mold a longer grip on the prestige-frames? Im thinking of trying some kind of foam you normally use in constructions on houses etc, but dont know how it will feels like.

Any other solutions to this problem? I have played with speed pro for a while and the grip on that is perfect! , but when i switched the pallets to TK82S on Prestige, it shows that the pallets difference is about 1,5 inches in length. From what i remember, this wasnt so on i, FXP nor LM Prestige?

TheOneHander
07-30-2011, 07:43 AM
There's a great thread on here by 2handsbothsides about extending the length of the racquet itself. Not sure if you'd want to go longer, but that's really all you could do.

vsbabolat
07-30-2011, 07:49 AM
The length of the grip on Head Prestige-frames are simply to short and made for players with onehanded backhands. For me, with a twohanded backhand and big hands, i have to use the a fair bith a the throat of the frame, where itīs ofcourse much thinner compared to the pallet.

I tried to see if it was possible to extend the pallets up over the normal hairpin up on the throat but it didnt work out good.

Have anyone tried to mold a longer grip on the prestige-frames? Im thinking of trying some kind of foam you normally use in constructions on houses etc, but dont know how it will feels like.

Any other solutions to this problem? I have played with speed pro for a while and the grip on that is perfect! , but when i switched the pallets to TK82S on Prestige, it shows that the pallets difference is about 1,5 inches in length. From what i remember, this wasnt so on i, FXP nor LM Prestige?

I just wrap the overgrip higher on the racquet.

Hankenstein
07-30-2011, 09:54 AM
I just wrap the overgrip higher on the racquet.

Thatīs what i does as well, but i want to make the handle longer up on the frame, not extending the total length of the frame.

I mean, ofcourse does it work with wrapping the overgrip higher, but i want the same feel as with a full length handle, not this 3/4 length handle like the Prestige has

Ben Hadd
07-30-2011, 10:01 AM
My best advice would be whats already mentioned. Wrap it higher. I wrap thick once its over the handle to make it the same width, feels and plays great.

hrstrat57
07-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Wrap the replacement grip higher up the handle before cutting it off....this works excellent with leather for lengthening the grip. Trim it neatly with the supplied tape and it should look fine. You can build up the area where the pallet meets the graphite up even with some electrical tape before putting your replacement grip on if you need to.

If you use an overgrip as well buy tournawrap xl and wrap it all the way up over the already extended leather grip.

Should be able to get both big mitts on there and start ripping the 2 hander happily once again.

jayserinos99
07-30-2011, 01:27 PM
You could get a custom molded handle. I remember getting a used PT57A a while back which had a really long Yonex shaped handle which extended right below the throat.

drgchen
07-30-2011, 04:10 PM
You could use a hot glue gun and try to build the pallet longer on the throat. Other materials I would consider may be caulk used in construction. Either option would increase the weight slightly. Some places will custom mold a handle to your specifications as previously discussed. I'm sure such a service isn't very cheap.

firefox
07-30-2011, 05:26 PM
I could mold a custom grip with syntactic foam, but that is a lot of work. For you, look up InstaMorph mold-able plastic. You can use it to shape it into the original tapering, over the top of the existing pallet. It will probably add 5-10 grams to your racquet mass.

vsbabolat
07-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Thatīs what i does as well, but i want to make the handle longer up on the frame, not extending the total length of the frame.

I mean, ofcourse does it work with wrapping the overgrip higher, but i want the same feel as with a full length handle, not this 3/4 length handle like the Prestige has

I then suggest you send your racquets off to either P1, Bosworth, RPNY, or any customizers you know of in Europe who can custom mold a grip for you. They will be able make it as high up on the frame as you want.

Anton
07-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Are your hands tight together on the backhand or is there space between them? Do you choke up on the grip with the lower hand?

Racket is not the only thing that can get fixed...