PDA

View Full Version : lead tape at 12

ben123
07-30-2011, 01:42 PM
hi,

just a short question: whats the advantage of putting it under the bumper guard instead of just putting it in the hoop?

thx

Povl Carstensen
07-30-2011, 01:54 PM
It is invisible and protected. Plus a bit more extreme placed, so a little more swingweight/gram. But is it worth the trouble, you decide.

Larrysümmers
07-30-2011, 01:54 PM
out of site and it doesnt get knocked around or scraped

ben123
07-30-2011, 02:14 PM
thats what i thought. i dont rly care if my leadtape is visible or not. it also never drops off.

i was just wondering bc so many are putting it there

FedExpress 333
07-30-2011, 02:41 PM
This link helped me a lot, might help you too:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=309803&highlight=official+racket+customization+thread

tata
07-30-2011, 04:52 PM
^^^^
Very useful thread. I too was about to put lead at 12 for mine. I wanted more plow through/swingweight and went to my local stringer who do the official stringing for AO and he recommended me try a different string before experimenting. However, he also said place it on the hoop first before you do anything drastic because chances are I will not find my optimal preference on the first go.So play with it on the hoop first, and then put it under the bumper IF that is your final decision.

He also recommended 10 and 2 instead of 12.Why? Because placing it at 12 means you will need to reapply after each restring since you need to mount the frame on the strining machine where it holds the racquet at that spot. He said that by placing weight at 12 will leave anything in between 'hollow' when you swing so using 10 and 2 will add better stability. Otherwise, use lead at 9 and 3 after to stabilise the frame, but that would mean adding more weight on.

jfish
07-31-2011, 01:18 AM
hi,

just a short question: whats the advantage of putting it under the bumper guard instead of just putting it in the hoop?

thx

I put the lead under the bumper guard AFTER I play-tested the frame (with lead in the hoop) and I feel satisfied with the performance. Moving the lead to the outer side of the frame change the mass distribution a bit. The feel is different , which is in my opinion better than just putting in the hoop.
I am sensitive to weight amount & location change, though.