PDA

View Full Version : Softening The Buttcap

TennsDog
07-03-2005, 06:52 PM
I have a problem with the buttcap of rackets: I use overgrips, and they become worn first around the bevels of the buttcap, causing the corners to dig into my hand. Is there a good way to soften up the corners around the buttcap of rackets without really increasing the size? Perhaps electrical tape?

ambro
07-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Under the original grip I wrap a layer of Wilson Pro Overgrip (just at the end of the butt cap) and then the grip over it. The corners of the cap aren't sticking out then. You could just wrap the original grip over the ends of the butt cap a tiny bit.

@ce
07-03-2005, 09:38 PM
There are softer replacement butt-caps available that you can purchase. Volkl makes one, and I believe that there are generic ones available out there as well

TennsDog
07-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Well I'm not sure I necessarily want the actual buttcap to become softer, I just want to make the corners on it less harsh. Anyway, where can I buy these softer buttcaps, and how much do they cost?

andirez
07-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Well I'm not sure I necessarily want the actual buttcap to become softer, I just want to make the corners on it less harsh. Anyway, where can I buy these softer buttcaps, and how much do they cost?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACVOLKL-VBC.html

They work like a charm :)

TennsDog
07-04-2005, 01:10 PM
I use a Wilson racket, so shouldn't I get a Wilson buttcap, seeing as how different companies have different shapes? Also, that picture lookes like it's just the bottom trap door part, whereas the racket I use has the whole bottom cap stapled on.

ambro
07-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Just go with my technique (see above). The Volkl Soft Butt Cap doesn't do anything except less shock, which isn't what you're looking for.