PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a new racquet

art-of-tennis
07-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi guys, I'm new here. I joined to ask what you all thought I should do on my racquet situation. I've been using a head flexpoint radical for 7 1/2 years or so. My biggest reason for hunting down a new stick is more power, but I also would like to have an open string bed for more spin. I love the FP radical serve/volleys, but I feel that my groundies need more pace.

So far I've demoed the Youtek prestidge pro, the pure drive gt, the aero pro drive gt, the pure storm gt, and the youtek extreme MP. Out of them all I've liked the Aero Pro the best; it's helped me hit a bigger serve, and it's helped add some power to my strokes.

I string my FP radicals at 65 btw with FXP something string. What I want to know is if you guys think I should just buy an Aero pro drive gt or if I should work a lot to try to customize my old racquet.

Some info on me:

This will be my 8th year playing, I play high school tennis and club tennis. Not much at all USTA other than leagues. I'd like to play Div II tennis in college (yeah I know I need to play USTA, it's just we can't exactly afford it at the moment...). I play 1 singles varsity for my high school, so I end up playing some of the best kids in Michigan, and I'd really like to start beating them more.

I have a city tournament that I'm playing this Monday/Tuesday, so I need to decide what to do before then. Thanks for any help.

whomad15
07-30-2011, 09:35 PM
lower your string tension to the low 50's. If that doesn't add some power/spin to your game right away, I'll be very surprised.
If you like how the racquet feels why bother looking for a new one, other than fun factor.
Babolats are powerful because they're stiff, be careful as that stiffness can come with the price of arm pain.

vincent_tennis
07-31-2011, 12:12 AM
Try stringing one to mid-high 50s will enlarge the sweet spot and increase the amount of power~

Also you may want to consider mixing a poly as a cross, string it a tad lower than your main (Around 5-10%)

Good Luck

art-of-tennis
07-31-2011, 05:04 AM
lower your string tension to the low 50's. If that doesn't add some power/spin to your game right away, I'll be very surprised.
If you like how the racquet feels why bother looking for a new one, other than fun factor.
Babolats are powerful because they're stiff, be careful as that stiffness can come with the price of arm pain.

Yeah when I tried to pure storm it hurt my arm a bit. Never had a problem with the Aero Pro drive gt though. I suppose trying a lower tension could do the trick. I added about 3 grams of lead tape to both sides to see what it does for me. Have yet to try that out.

Try stringing one to mid-high 50s will enlarge the sweet spot and increase the amount of power~

Also you may want to consider mixing a poly as a cross, string it a tad lower than your main (Around 5-10%)

Good Luck

Will do. Any suggestions on a poly that won't kill my arm? I had golfer's elbow earlier this year and had to take a 6 week break from tennis, so arm hazards do tend to scare me a bit.

Thanks guys!

Fuji
07-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Watch your arm! At a stiffness of 70+, it's pretty brutal on the arm if strung wrong!

I would just lower the tension a bit if I were you. It's the cheapest way to figure out what you need!

-Fuji

TheBoom
07-31-2011, 12:23 PM
I recommend the biomimetic 500 tour less stiff but closish to the apd

Doubles
07-31-2011, 01:28 PM
I would agree with the other posters who suggest lowering your tension. If you drop it to between 55-60 you should be able to get more power, without losing too much control...

Ben Hadd
07-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Definitely try lowering your tension to the low 50's first.

vincent_tennis
07-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Yeah when I tried to pure storm it hurt my arm a bit. Never had a problem with the Aero Pro drive gt though. I suppose trying a lower tension could do the trick. I added about 3 grams of lead tape to both sides to see what it does for me. Have yet to try that out.

Will do. Any suggestions on a poly that won't kill my arm? I had golfer's elbow earlier this year and had to take a 6 week break from tennis, so arm hazards do tend to scare me a bit.

Thanks guys!

Think thats partly because of your 65lbs stringing...
Dont think any pros out there go that high other than Pete who went 70lbs with gut

(also if u;re wondering why no one wants to recommend a new racquet, if you do get a new one u'll start a spree of racquet purchasing..)

art-of-tennis
07-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Think thats partly because of your 65lbs stringing...
Dont think any pros out there go that high other than Pete who went 70lbs with gut

(also if u;re wondering why no one wants to recommend a new racquet, if you do get a new one u'll start a spree of racquet purchasing..)

It very well could have been. :/ When I got hurt was right after I started hitting some of the hardest balls of my life. The reason I get it strung so tight is because the pro that strings for me does that tension and he insists that I should be able to create my own power with that. Regardless though, I'm going tomorrow to a local tennis shop to have them string it instead. Thanks.

Definitely try lowering your tension to the low 50's first.

I'm going tomorrow to try that; hopefully it works. I'm going to try 55lb. Thanks.

I would agree with the other posters who suggest lowering your tension. If you drop it to between 55-60 you should be able to get more power, without losing too much control...

Seeing as it appears to be the dominant answer here I'm going to try that tomorrow. Thanks.

Watch your arm! At a stiffness of 70+, it's pretty brutal on the arm if strung wrong!

I would just lower the tension a bit if I were you. It's the cheapest way to figure out what you need!

-Fuji

Yeah. I'm definitely willing to bite the bullet and buy the Aero Pro drive gt if it doesn't work though. Secretly I probably want to lol, but I'm going to give the restringing a try first. Nice Ryoma avatar btw.

I recommend the biomimetic 500 tour less stiff but closish to the apd

Does it still get the insane spin like the APDGT?

msalamon
08-01-2011, 06:02 AM
I was having trouble keeping the shots deep--so I restrung:
main: poly (Dunlop Juice) @ 48
cross: multi (Technifibre X-One Bi) @ 55

the low tension in the poly fixed the problem

poly should be strung 8-10 lbs lighter than you are used to stringing your multis