PDA

View Full Version : How do I safely trade a racket?

JayJay12077
07-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Hi I want to trade my racket with someone else's online on tennis warehouse. How do I do this safely without being scammed. Since there is no money involved i cannot have the protection of paypal. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

khw72004
07-31-2011, 09:09 AM
Check references, but since it seems like you only have 9 post, the other person may have the right to question you.

But on this forum, checking references is a good way to judge character

weksa
07-31-2011, 09:09 AM
In the Classifieds "For Sale or Trade" section (all the way at the bottom of the main forum), there is this sticky that will answer many of your questions: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=217121

canadad
07-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Ask for pictures and a complete description of the product. In my experience, someone's 7/10 may be different than your 7/10. There is a guide on the trade page, pay attention to it. I got ripped off, when one guy traded me a racquet that was completely scratched and chipped and had a squeaky butt cap. This guy got a great deal, me not so much. Every other time the people I have dealt with have been honest.

ser_renely
07-31-2011, 10:03 AM
references help for sure.

coachrick
07-31-2011, 12:09 PM
You could send them half the racket up front, the other half when they fulfill their end of the deal. ;)

drgchen
07-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Get references. Trade with the big 'dealers'. I met a guy on talk tennis who had hundreds of racquets and I ended up meeting him, trading and buying a few racquets. Now we do things all by mail, I know that I will be getting the product 2 days from a phone call. Most people who post here regularly aren't out to steal you racquet, although there are always some who are doing that.

Faithfulfather
07-31-2011, 11:18 PM
I too am new to this forum. First would be to trade string to build trust. One way to build trust is to exchange telephone numbers and complete address before mailing anything. I like to talk to the people I trade with. I know my intentions are true and want the other person to have confidence that I am an honest person. Do the right thing and good things will come to you.

flashfire276
08-01-2011, 01:08 PM
You're still new to TW, so it should be the other way around, really. I wouldn't be surprised if the other person was feeling insecure with trading with you.

As stated, build references. Build a good reputation and a good name, just like a lot of sellers/traders on the TW Boards. Good communication, pictures, blah blah blah.

And remember, when you send out a racquet, at least put tracking on it, so you know for sure that the other guy actually got it and is not lying. It costs a couple cents at the post office, so why not?

fuzz nation
08-02-2011, 05:01 AM
I agree with our pals here concerning the phone number exchange along with having the other trader send pictures of the actual racquet(s) - not some stock photo that an online catalog, etc. might use. That's usually pretty good evidence that the gear you're trading for actually exists and is available.

I found that I needed to take a small leap of faith when I did my first deal here, but as soon as I did, I had started down the road toward building a good reputation. One good reference gets you on your way.

I've never had even a hiccup of trouble in my dealings with anyone here. Seems to me that this community runs at such a low volume that nobody is looking for serious scamming. Plus, with the references page for everyone to look at, this isn't a place for thieves to set up shop. One bad deal and "you're outta the pool".

Rorsach
08-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Try to check their references and remember, if the deal is too good to be true, it usually is.

big bang
08-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Some good tips given in this thread, use your common sense too it will take you a long way. As a seller you should provide any info that the buyer demands (if possible of course).
If I buy or trade I only do it with ppl who got references, but honestly if some new poster is selling gear I get cautious. Personally I got quite a few references and very good ones too, if I were to deal with someone new to this board with no references I would suggest him to send me the frame before payment, if he is willing to do that we can deal and I will give him a good reference of course.
I only did business with honest and very helpful ppl on TT, but sure you will be able to find a few scammers too once in a while.

Azk
08-02-2011, 11:07 AM
I recently bought a racquet from this site about 2 months ago. I had no references and 1 or 2 posts so I knew that any seller would be wary of me.

So I felt to minimize the risks to myself I would choose a seller who had a lot of good references (Buying and Selling). And to minimize the risk to the seller, I sent my payment first to ensure him that I was a legit buyer.

Tar Heel Tennis
08-02-2011, 11:13 AM
I recently bought a racquet from this site about 2 months ago. I had no references and 1 or 2 posts so I knew that any seller would be wary of me.

So I felt to minimize the risks to myself I would choose a seller who had a lot of good references (Buying and Selling). And to minimize the risk to the seller, I sent my payment first to ensure him that I was a legit buyer.

this should ALWAYS be the case. any seller that sends an item before receiving payment deserves whatever trouble comes his/her way.

FloridaAG
08-02-2011, 12:37 PM
All good advice, but there are no guaranties

bignate76
08-02-2011, 12:46 PM
my first post was a trade on TT. it went very well. by reading the board daily scammers on here are sticking there neck out the wrong board. just see the amount of investigation done by other members when someone does get scammed. this board has been the best discovery of the year for me and i just completed a second deal. the seller sent the money before i had a chance to ship and never doubted me, i shipped item about 2 hours later.