PDA

View Full Version : Fairway Leather Grips

Arthuro
07-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Hello everyone,

I am going to put a Fairway Leather Grip on my Prince Exo3 Rebel, which has been a dream to hit with by the way recently.

This is my first time putting on a leather grips without adhesive tape behind it. The USRSA manual says us a staple, but is this really necessary with double sided tape? Additionally, I wanted to know if I should put the double sided tape on the racquet or on the underside of the leather grip.

mad dog1
07-31-2011, 08:33 AM
i can't get double sided tape to hold securely enough at the butt cap when i'm pulling hard to start the first wrap so i use a staple. but i recall others have mentioned being able to just use double sided tape.

Marcus
07-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Absolutely got to use a staple to get a nice line around the but cap, another tip is to use a hair dryer to heat the grip up as you wrap it, you'll need someone to help you with this....

mad dog1
07-31-2011, 08:44 AM
^^ never thought of this, but it completely makes sense though. the heated grip will stretch easier. after it's installed and cools, it'll contract tightly around the handle. cool tip!

Dags
07-31-2011, 08:49 AM
I've never used a staple with mine. I put a strip of double-sided tape down the widest parts of the pallet (top and bottom if you were to lay the racquet flat), and then another strip around the butt cap. I usually cut the piece for the butt cap in two as it helps prevent wrinkles.

Gee
07-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Hello everyone,

I am going to put a Fairway Leather Grip on my Prince Exo3 Rebel, which has been a dream to hit with by the way recently.

This is my first time putting on a leather grips without adhesive tape behind it. The USRSA manual says us a staple, but is this really necessary with double sided tape? Additionally, I wanted to know if I should put the double sided tape on the racquet or on the underside of the leather grip.
I use to put my leather grips without use of doublesided tape or a staple. I never had a problem with that so I think you don't any extra adhesive material but the adhesive backing of the leather grip.

vsbabolat
07-31-2011, 09:38 AM
I use to put my leather grips without use of doublesided tape or a staple. I never had a problem with that so I think you don't any extra adhesive material but the adhesive backing of the leather grip.

The Fairway grips have NO adhesive backing.

vsbabolat
07-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Hello everyone,

Put the double sided tape on the racquet. It is best if you use a staple.

Gee
07-31-2011, 09:47 AM
The Fairway grips have NO adhesive backing.
Really? I didn't know that. I only tried Babolat Natural Leather, Head Tour Leather and Völkl leather but I would like to try Head Calfskin or Fairway leather as well. Are they so much better than others?

PBODY99
07-31-2011, 10:41 AM
I used the smallest carpet tact to start grips, as Coach Nelson taught me in 1969. With double sided tape, i still use a tack on my personal frames.

tennis-kid
07-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Why do people use leather grip?
Is it really far better than regular over grips?

Doubles
07-31-2011, 01:22 PM

Most people that use leather use an overgrip on top of the leather...

Gee
07-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Try it yourself. Then you'll notice why. ;-)

tennis-kid
07-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Most people that use leather use an overgrip on top of the leather...

OMG lol

If they use over grip on top of leather grip, there is absolutely no reason to use leather grip. It is just like using over grip on top of original grips coming with racquets

Big_Dangerous
07-31-2011, 02:24 PM

Because the feel of the racket is far superior and leather lasts damn near forever. The other base grips you have to replace after a year or so, with leather you never need to replace them.

OMG lol

If they use over grip on top of leather grip, there is absolutely no reason to use leather grip. It is just like using over grip on top of original grips coming with racquets

If you've never used leather, then your argument is totally invalid.

Arthuro
07-31-2011, 03:42 PM
What staple gun would people recommend and staple size. I heard 1/8 inches are good, but they are hard to find. The only gun I saw that took these staples was 150 dollars.

Also, how do y'all place the double sided tape on the racquet? Up and down strips or do you wrap it around like the grip itself?

Doubles
07-31-2011, 04:16 PM
OMG lol

Um, no, the feel of an overgrip over leather is completely different, and much better...

mad dog1
07-31-2011, 04:29 PM
What staple gun would people recommend and staple size. I heard 1/8 inches are good, but they are hard to find. The only gun I saw that took these staples was 150 dollars.

Also, how do y'all place the double sided tape on the racquet? Up and down strips or do you wrap it around like the grip itself?

i use a stanley tr-250 gun w/ 10mm (3/8") staples. plenty of power to drive the staple into the butt cap. the staple is wider than the original staple, but it's thin enough that you can't feel it underneath if you've wrapped the grip correctly.

http://www.stanleytools.com/catalog_images/mid_res/TR250_mid_res.jpg

vsbabolat
07-31-2011, 05:13 PM

Place the double side tape up and down strips.

Arthuro
07-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks, my fairways should be in later this week...I will post pics of the process.

BreakPoint
07-31-2011, 05:59 PM
More direct feel to the racquet.

All grips used to made of leather.

BreakPoint
07-31-2011, 06:02 PM
OMG lol

Um...no, it isn't.

Why do people wear underwear when they are just going to wear pants over them anyway?

AceServer
07-31-2011, 06:13 PM
Um...no, it isn't.

Why do people wear underwear when they are just going to wear pants over them anyway?

That doesn't apply to me.. lol jk.

What's the difference between other leathers and fairway? Fairway seems to be more costly than it's other counterparts.

Spin-A-Lot
07-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Um, no, the feel of an overgrip over leather is completely different, and much better...

Totally agree with this...it just feels more 'solid'..

EDK
07-31-2011, 09:07 PM
I've used Fairways and never needed tape or a staple. In my experience they require some insane stretching to fit up the handle so that starting pressure always kept it in place no problem.

Andreas1965
07-31-2011, 10:23 PM
I wonder where to buy Fairway. When I was a young ;-), it was available everywhere. Nowadays it seem to be gone in Germany.
I'll be vacationing in Florida next month, so ( if possible) I'll buy plenty of them for me and some friends.

junk
08-01-2011, 12:01 AM
I wonder where to buy Fairway. When I was a young ;-), it was available everywhere. Nowadays it seem to be gone in Germany.
I'll be vacationing in Florida next month, so ( if possible) I'll buy plenty of them for me and some friends.

u can buy them directly from e.b.balmforth (maker of fairway grips) on e bay

Andreas1965
08-02-2011, 07:20 AM
u can buy them directly from e.b.balmforth (maker of fairway grips) on e bay
thanx very much!!

Big_Dangerous
08-06-2011, 06:37 PM
That doesn't apply to me.. lol jk.

What's the difference between other leathers and fairway? Fairway seems to be more costly than it's other counterparts.

Fairways are a bit thicker, and they seem to be of the best quality leather you can get for grips anyway. Plus, I love the feel of a Yonex Supergrap over the Fairway leather grips more so than any other leather grip I've tried.

VGP
08-06-2011, 07:08 PM
The TW leather grips are pretty close to the Fairway grips. Especially if you get the thicker ones. Better than Wilson and Babolat for sure.

Arthuro
08-08-2011, 02:09 PM
They are supposed to be here today..

Arthuro
08-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Here are pictures of my Prince Exo3 Rebel with the Fairway leather grip....

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/262980_879325522817_37614792_39670301_3438497_n.jp g

Here's a picture of the frame itself...the gold letters really pop on the Exo3 Rebel...
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/267286_879325592677_37614792_39670302_816376_n.jpg

Keifers
08-11-2011, 04:10 AM
^^^ Niiice!!

How long and how wide are the ones you received?

tennis_balla
08-11-2011, 04:47 AM
The TW leather grips are pretty close to the Fairway grips. Especially if you get the thicker ones. Better than Wilson and Babolat for sure.

The Babolat leathers are pretty good I think, much better then Head leather grips and Wilson as well. They got some weight to them and the quality is good. The Head leather grips are just complete crap.

big bang
08-11-2011, 05:15 AM
The Babolat leathers are pretty good I think, much better then Head leather grips and Wilson as well. They got some weight to them and the quality is good. The Head leather grips are just complete crap.
Yup besides strings its their only good product IMO. The Head leather is low quality, but their finest calfskin is #2 for me, fairway will always be #1 but I will choose babolat leather if the other two is unavailable.

tennis_balla
08-11-2011, 10:25 AM
big bang, I haven't been able to find Head Finest Calfskin. Any place that sells them, preferably in Europe?

big bang
08-11-2011, 11:35 AM
big bang, I haven't been able to find Head Finest Calfskin. Any place that sells them, preferably in Europe?

I have the same problem these days, last time I got some from a Head rep.
Dont know why they dont sell them anymore?, its so much better than the regular Head leather.. I guess you have to buy pro stock´s to get hold of them:(

tennis_balla
08-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Dags, once a leather grip (or any grip) has been applied its done. Taking it off and re-gripping pretty much makes it useless.

Big_Dangerous
08-12-2011, 03:42 AM
Dags, once a leather grip (or any grip) has been applied its done. Taking it off and re-gripping pretty much makes it useless.

Vehemently disagree.

Fairways among other leather grips have no adhesive, so there's only the wear on the leather grip, which if used with an overgrip, is pretty minimal even after a few months... Leather essentially lasts forever, and you can re-grip Fairways. I don't see how it makes it useless.

max
08-12-2011, 05:13 AM
I use copper "carpet tacks"; they're maritime stuff, made to NOT rust, as regular carpet tacks will, over time, due to sweat, etc.

Dags
08-12-2011, 09:01 AM

I'm with Big_Dangerous on this. The Fairway and Head Calfskin grips have no adhesive on them and are very supple, so I unless they're very old and worn I find them just as good when re-used.

Still, good luck with finding some new ones.

RyKnocks
08-12-2011, 09:20 AM
I've been experimenting with different grip and over grip combinations and I've never had to glue/tape/staple anything to the butt cap. I've never had any issues with grips coming lose or anything like that. Is it really that hard for you guys to apply the grip without something holding it down? After one wrap around the initial starting point, it's pretty much held down for me.