PDA

View Full Version : Comparison: New Wilson PS 85 v. KProStaff 88 (Sampras reissue)

myservenow
07-31-2011, 05:00 PM
I recently demoed the new Wilson Pro Staff 85 reissue and really love this racquet.

I'm sure this has been covered, or mentioned, but haven't run across it.

How does this new PS 85 compare with the Sampras Wilson KPro Staff 88 that was put out a few years back? I've never hit with one of the K 88s.

BreakPoint
07-31-2011, 05:19 PM
If the PS 6.0 85 is a "scalpel", the KPS88 would be a "sledgehammer". :shock:

MrFlip
07-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Wilson Pro Staff 85 2011:

- Swings lighter and quicker
- Less power
- More open stringbed, but because of the decreased power you wont notice
- Great on serve and volleys, takes a bit more skill to prepare for groundstrokes if you're not used to the heft and smaller head

Wilson K Pro Staff 88:

- More power
- Harder to swing
- Feels a bit more head heavy (maybe just me)
- Plowthrough is greater
- Denser string bed 16 x19
- Its like a beefed up K90
- Quite bad on backhands but forehands are terrific.
- Serve and volleys are good but not as great as the Wilson Pro Staff 85.

Prefer the Wilson Pro Staff 85 since its lighter and feels swifter. More control, able to do so much more.

BreakPoint
07-31-2011, 05:27 PM
Wilson Pro Staff 85 2011:

- Swings lighter and quicker
- Less power
- More open stringbed, but because of the decreased power you wont notice
- Great on serve and volleys, takes a bit more skill to prepare for groundstrokes if you're not used to the heft and smaller head

Wilson K Pro Staff 88:

- More power
- Harder to swing
- Feels a bit more head heavy (maybe just me)
- Plowthrough is greater
- Denser string bed 16 x19
- Its like a beefed up K90
- Quite bad on backhands but forehands are terrific.
- Serve and volleys are good but not as great as the Wilson Pro Staff 85.

Prefer the Wilson Pro Staff 85 since its lighter and feels swifter. More control, able to do so much more.
I'm the opposite. I thought the KPS88 was great for my one-handed backhands but not so great on my forehands, whereas, the PS 6.0 85 re-issue is great on my forehands but not so great on my 1HBHs.

I also prefer the PS 6.0 85 re-issue over the KPS88 because it's just much less cumbersome to use. :)

OTMPut
07-31-2011, 05:36 PM
i will go with breakpoint on the 1hbh. i find more depth on my bh with kps88 and this comes very handy in defending.
also kps88 produces killer slices and you can turnaround defensive positions using well executed slices.

kps88 also has a much larger sweetspot than ps85. i feel kps88 has a much larger sweetspot comapred to many rackets (mid/mid+) currently available in retail.

roundiesee
07-31-2011, 05:52 PM
For me both are very similar, especially the "feel" upon ball impact. The PS 85 is definitely "quicker" of the two, the KPS less maneuverable. To me both can hit a heavy ball if you time your shots correctly, and both are great at the net. Control for both are excellent. The small difference to me is that the KPS has a slightly bigger sweetspot because of its slightly larger head size. It is for this reason that I play with the KPS. I would suggest you try to demo the KPS 88 before deciding on which to play with. Ironically it is the KPS 88 which is harder to come by now (when rather recently, it used to be the other way round). Good luck! :)

MrFlip
07-31-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm the opposite. I thought the KPS88 was great for my one-handed backhands but not so great on my forehands, whereas, the PS 6.0 85 re-issue is great on my forehands but not so great on my 1HBHs.

I also prefer the PS 6.0 85 re-issue over the KPS88 because it's just much less cumbersome to use. :)

Because I like to snap my wrist through the ball, that's where I lose speed with heavier racquets....especially on the backhand. Both racquets require early prep, which means I find it harder to generate pace or spin when shots are fast and at your feet.

Need more play time.

myservenow
07-31-2011, 07:59 PM
I took the old K90 out for a hit tonight for comparison purposes. I originally bought it just to have for historical purposes and not hit with. I couldn't resist but it only took a few hits to realize I could not play with the K90 at all. So, it has just been a conversation piece more or less.

After demo-ing the PS85, and really hitting well with it, I decided to pull the K90 back out tonight. I couldn't do anything with it. It just didn't feel as solid on either wing although I found I could serve better with it. Really disappointed.

The PS85 just feels right to my game. It doesn't make any sense to me because I play a two-handed backhand (as mentioned in the other PS85 thread), but the 85 is a special racquet.

Thanks for the responses.

roundiesee
07-31-2011, 11:44 PM
I took the old K90 out for a hit tonight for comparison purposes. I originally bought it just to have for historical purposes and not hit with. I couldn't resist but it only took a few hits to realize I could not play with the K90 at all. So, it has just been a conversation piece more or less.

After demo-ing the PS85, and really hitting well with it, I decided to pull the K90 back out tonight. I couldn't do anything with it. It just didn't feel as solid on either wing although I found I could serve better with it. Really disappointed.

The PS85 just feels right to my game. It doesn't make any sense to me because I play a two-handed backhand (as mentioned in the other PS85 thread), but the 85 is a special racquet.

Thanks for the responses.

I think the KPS 88 is more like the PS 85 than the K90. But if you play well with the PS 85, there really is no need to look further :)

Stick It Wear?!
08-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Huge differences between the two rackets. I played with the KPS88 in 5.5 level play since it's sale date until a few months ago where I decided to sell the whole kit. Prior to the KPS88 I used the K90.

IMO the KPS88 does not have the control that the K90 or the PS85 have. In lower level play, control was not an issue. But the heavier the ball became from the opponent the more a polarized setup was beneficial to point construction. Although the PS85 does not share a polarized setup, it however is extremely quick in getting the racket in position.

Although I could rely on very deep placement and good court penetration with the KPS88, I could not trust the directional targeting if I was slightly out of position, especially in higher level matches. The KPS88 straight away is a ball basher. It is a true muscle car. Very fast in one direction.

The PS85 and K90 are more elegant rackets. Think of a performance sports car. I found myself to be significantly more successful with serving from these two rackets than the modern pro staff. In addition, I was able to create a greater variety of game.

The KPS88 when hit squarely was an incredible feeling. You felt the ball come off your racket like any Apollo mission. I think that's why I stayed with it for so long. Alas, a heavy kick serve that came bucking like a mule was not easily manageable with the non-polarized KPS88. The K90 was more adept at handling restless beasts. And I feel the same for the PS85 because of its quickness.

The power of the KPS88 is addicting. But after rehab, The subtleties of point construction became a familiar sponsor, hence the return to the K90.

I have also tried the BLX90. I prefer the K90.

roundiesee
08-01-2011, 12:59 AM
Huge differences between the two rackets. I played with the KPS88 in 5.5 level play since it's sale date until a few months ago where I decided to sell the whole kit. Prior to the KPS88 I used the K90.

IMO the KPS88 does not have the control that the K90 or the PS85 have. In lower level play, control was not an issue. But the heavier the ball became from the opponent the more a polarized setup was beneficial to point construction. Although the PS85 does not share a polarized setup, it however is extremely quick in getting the racket in position.

Although I could rely on very deep placement and good court penetration with the KPS88, I could not trust the directional targeting if I was slightly out of position, especially in higher level matches. The KPS88 straight away is a ball basher. It is a true muscle car. Very fast in one direction.

The PS85 and K90 are more elegant rackets. Think of a performance sports car. I found myself to be significantly more successful with serving from these two rackets than the modern pro staff. In addition, I was able to create a greater variety of game.

The KPS88 when hit squarely was an incredible feeling. You felt the ball come off your racket like any Apollo mission. I think that's why I stayed with it for so long. Alas, a heavy kick serve that came bucking like a mule was not easily manageable with the non-polarized KPS88. The K90 was more adept at handling restless beasts. And I feel the same for the PS85 because of its quickness.

The power of the KPS88 is addicting. But after rehab, The subtleties of point construction became a familiar sponsor, hence the return to the K90.

I have also tried the BLX90. I prefer the K90.

Thanks! Great analysis, especially coming from a 5.5! Most of us mere mortals will never reach that level unfortunately :(
Is the PS 85 slightly better than the K90 in your opinion?

Stick It Wear?!
08-01-2011, 01:32 AM
All of the rackets are fantastic rackets.

The KPS88 could get me points in the ground game because of the heaviness and penetration of ball. But if I faced an opponent which this did not faze, I did not have a great plan B. And I forgot to mention it was more difficult for one handed backhand.

The K90, I would relax more and have the polarized head come through and I then could create that same penetration. Once that rhythm was achieved it was a glorious feeling. Also spin off the serves were more potent.

The PS85 is similar to the K90 only it takes more concentration because the sweet spot is quite a bit smaller than the other two. I now consider the PS85 my 'fun' racket. I bring it out every once in awhile to play or hit because once you begin grooving with the racket it is really fun. But I would not use it for high level matches. One mishit and the power significantly drops, making it a easy put away for my opponent.

Another racket I highly recommend is the Yonex RDS001 or RDis100. I have the RDS001 and it seems like a cross between the PS85 and K90 without the pro staff feel. I have been a lifelong Wilson user and I am quite surprised by these tools.

myservenow
08-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Hey, the term "fun racquet" is what I've been searching for to explain my fascination with the PS 85 reissue.

I do not kid myself into thinking I could use this racquet very successfully in high level competition. But, man, is it fun to blast one-handed backhands with the 85. My forehand is simply superb as well. That is just in a "hitting around" mode.

I play 4.5 mostly and Open occasionally just to see where I stand. No way I could compete with the 85s*, but it would be a fun racquet to pull out and have a hit every once in awhile.

*I have used a two-handed backhand for 25 years, but am trying to learn the 1hbh. In practice or hitting around mode, I can blast it. In a match situation, I am not confident in it so it breaks down easily. The fun of hitting the 85 is all about the 1hbh!