PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone think we need more "true" players rackets?

Exile
07-03-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm talking about no nonsense sticks, pure graphite, no tech(unless you count braiding), 93- sqin heads. Thinner beams, etc etc.
Or better mids. A better selection of rackets that make you work for results.

MTChong
07-03-2005, 10:34 PM
I voted that it'd be cool to have more... Sure, I'm not a great player, but I like how mids feel compared to the midplus counterparts.

ffrpg
07-03-2005, 11:26 PM
It'd be nice, but I'm content with the "classics."

GregOz
07-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Absolutely. It'd definately make life easier for me as I try to find a replacement for my PC600. I'd be happy if we could have a few 90-93sq with variable weight and flex, as we used to. The ROK was a nice try but not really up to the task and the ProKennex and NXG just aren't my cup of tea. So, give me something with a mix of graphite and fibreglass, a 90-93sq head size and 16x18 string pattern.

kv581
07-04-2005, 04:05 AM
So, give me something with a mix of graphite and fibreglass, a 90-93sq head size and 16x18 string pattern.
Have you tried Volkl Tour 10 V-Enging mid? It is 18X20, not unlike the Prestige.

TennisD
07-04-2005, 04:24 AM
Have you tried Volkl Tour 10 V-Enging mid? It is 18X20, not unlike the Prestige.
It's quite a bit unlike the prestige, IMO...

NoBadMojo
07-04-2005, 07:03 AM
soon there wont even be any 'true' players frames made, because more and more, fewer and fewer 'true players' are even using these things. seems like more of these are sold to less advanced players than advanced players. some of the majour companies dont even offer a 'true' players frame anymore, because they simply arent for the modern game. i think the VE-Mid would be a good choice for someone using the Prestige Mid, who wants to upgrade. KV made a good suggestion..exactly the specs Greg is looking for.

Racketdesign
07-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Is the VE mid a Volkl racquet ?

GregOz
07-04-2005, 07:41 AM
kv581, I did give the Volkl a go but not my cup of tea. The earlier model T10mid I didn't mind but not the v-engine. Definately felt far less solid than the Prestige, far less substance to it and swings too light for me. If I change I'll probably just change up a notch to a 95sq. If I can't find what I like in that then I'll just go back to the PC600.

Thanks anyway.

TennisMD
07-04-2005, 08:19 AM
I believe the market demands will create the the rkts. I play at two tennis clubs, one is an indoor facility with ranked juniors and all use modern sticks mostly babalot, the seniors guys in the 30 40 50 and > mostly all use a tweener type with some exceptions, I have seen 2 sampras rkts 85 sq inch and previous high school players coming back to the game and one when his rkt broke thought it was a joy to go to a 95 sq inch frame. The other facility is a country club and here again rare are the 90 inch frames or less. When you look at the game good technique allows you to control the bab like sticks quite nicely and allows for margin of error. The only aspect that aging warriors have to watch is the arm safety factor and of course conditioning , technique and racquet specs have an equally important role. Of interest is the club champion of the 4.5's uses a tweener at the indoor facility and IMO a much more consistant = better player than the club champion at my outdoor facility who uses a wilson 95 sq inch frame the generation befor the N Codes. Bottom line good hitting and have fun with whatever works

kv581
07-04-2005, 09:30 AM
It's quite a bit unlike the prestige, IMO...
Prestige and VEngine mid are both 18X20, no? I didn't suggest that they would play similarly, only that they have similar specs. Plus, GregOz was looking for a racquet with fiberglass + graphite, which VEngine has.

GregOz
07-04-2005, 09:46 AM
kv581, its okay, I understood what you meant. Appreciate the suggestion. I dont expect anything to play like the Prestige. Its a rare kind of racquet - even counting the i-Prestige and LM Prestige- so not something you can just replace. I thought the ProKennex might - even looks a bit like the Prestige- but it's expecting a bit much.

When I was over in the States I went to quite a number of college matches and was quite surprised at the number of players using older style frames like the POG, Diablo (mid and midplus), i-Prestige, PC600 (mid and midplus) and even the ROK and Tour95. Absolutely no PS85s or PS95s though although I think there was one POG midplus. Lots of Babolat to be sure, but not exclusively and as many Pure Controls and Pure Drives.

Here in Australia Ive noticed a lot of our juniors doing the same thing. The very upper level ones have moved away from the PD style frames and are using either 93 or 95sq. Main reason they give is a lack of control - even with the extreme topspin some can impart. If they're using Babolat its a PureControl and I cant say I blame them.

Exile
07-04-2005, 11:46 AM
some of the majour companies dont even offer a 'true' players frame anymore, because they simply arent for the modern game.

i disagree.
I was playing district tournaments with an old school t3000 my junior year in HS and getting to at least the quarters.
Maybe because they were in awe of the stick, or maybe because it was so damn shiny on such a bright day. The ability to outplay, not over power, just doing smart things with solid strokes is enough to beat the baseline bashers these days.
So i think yeah, we do need more of the older sticks, stable, with enough feel to stand up to the ones who just hit the ball. In the long run isn't it sticks like the ps 85 that bring the best out of us?
Sticks that punish us when we do something stupid, and reward us when we get it right.

diredesire
07-04-2005, 11:56 AM
I think most of the "modern game" stuff is bunk. I think it's not the stick that really makes that big of the difference, i think it's more of the fact that the PEOPLE nowadays are bigger and stronger, which IMO does not mean that player's sticks (small headsize, thin beam, graphite, lower powered, etc) are out. In fact, many of the touring pros are hitting with player-oriented sticks. I just don't think we need that many more, as almost all companies do offer some, and there is already plenty of great choices out there. The market segment to sell these things just doesn't really warrant more production of them. TRUE players frames, that is.

I remember when megaage.com's sticks were $30 a pop. They were basically 6.1/6.0 clones without the PWS bulges. Obviously they weren't very popular, as i imagine the majority of the people reading this post have never heard of them..

TennisD
07-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Prestige and VEngine mid are both 18X20, no? I didn't suggest that they would play similarly, only that they have similar specs. Plus, GregOz was looking for a racquet with fiberglass + graphite, which VEngine has.
Yeah, they are similar in specs, but I got to test out some pre-release models from a friend, (a Volkl fellow who suggested they would be similar to my PC's), and I just didn't feel any similarity...

BreakPoint
07-04-2005, 01:33 PM
When I was over in the States I went to quite a number of college matches and was quite surprised at the number of players using older style frames like the POG, Diablo (mid and midplus), i-Prestige, PC600 (mid and midplus) and even the ROK and Tour95. Absolutely no PS85s or PS95s though although I think there was one POG midplus. Lots of Babolat to be sure, but not exclusively and as many Pure Controls and Pure Drives.

One reason may be that many of these college players are sponsored by the racquet manufacturers, and these manufacturers don't want to supply them with discontinued racquets such as the PS 6.0 85 or PS 6.0 95, just like on the pro tour. Some college players also get paintjobs so some may be playing with older racquets without the spectators realizing it.

Remember these are poor college students so many are willing to switch if they can get free racquets and not have to fork over a lot of money out of their own pockets for equipment. That's one of the reasons you see so many Babolats in the hands of college players. They are very aggressive in marketing to college teams and give the players great deals.

sedwickdotcom
07-04-2005, 02:18 PM
dunlop needs to release another 90 sq in head racket

Return_Ace
07-04-2005, 02:22 PM
dunlop needs to release another 90 sq in head racket

Anyone catch the 100G? that was like out on market, few months disappeared................

FREDDY
07-04-2005, 03:35 PM
im a sophmore in highschool i use the POG midsize 93'' yep. uh huh. its the best racket ive hit with. breakpoint is right. one of my coaches used to use the POG but since hes a teaching pro they want him to use a newer racket. in his case they gave him the O3 tour. its a smooth racket. i kind of like it but i think it has too much power. the POG tames everything down. i like what i got.

FREDDY
07-04-2005, 03:37 PM
i see lots of guys at all the tournaments i goto have babolat. ive demoed it. winners are nice to hit with it.