PDA

View Full Version : what's your swingweight?

Gasolina
07-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Just wanted to get an idea on what fellow tt'ers have

Fuji
07-31-2011, 07:32 PM
I bump most of my sticks up to the area of 370-390. My Prestige Mids are at 375, while my PSC6.1 is at 400ish! :)

-Fuji

Gasolina
07-31-2011, 07:37 PM
Fuji can you let me know what kind of groundstrokes you use? Do you hit flat? How about your game? Do you serve and volley?

parasailing
07-31-2011, 08:37 PM
I bump most of my sticks up to the area of 370-390. My Prestige Mids are at 375, while my PSC6.1 is at 400ish! :)

-Fuji

Wow a SW of 400 is crazy high. How the heck do you manage to generate that much racquet speed or do you like all that SW just low through on the incoming ball.

Fuji
07-31-2011, 08:45 PM
For sure, if anyone else has questions I'd be more then willing to answer! :)

@ Gasolina: I play a pretty aggressive all court game. Not pure Serve and Volley, but I for sure love the net. I hit with an Extreme Eastern grip, just a hair above semi western. I hit with moderate topspin, but nothing like most players these days. Then I use an Eastern Backhand grip and hit pretty heavy top spin, but I do flatten my backhand out about 50% of the time. :)

@ Parasailing: I love having the SW that high because it really puts me in a position to bail me out of any situation where I just need to "get it back". I do generate a fair amount of racket head speed though, I just use A LOT of core rotation and leg in my stroke. I find it's great on serve returns however because it lets me just crush back any serve. I return serves that are well into the 100MPH+ these days, so it's really useful.

As for serving with it, I have a REALLY smooth motion. I basically do next to nothing work and let my racket just plow straight through my shot. I average about 15-20 aces a match with this racket, and I haven't had anyone yet tee off on my serves. They are just SO heavy and I can place them anywhere in the box.

Any more questions, feel free to ask! :)

-Fuji

Larrysümmers
07-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Fuji. string?

i have my blx up to 381.
im not that strong, but the heft of the racket really lets me wind up and crush it.

Fuji
07-31-2011, 08:55 PM
Fuji. string?

i have my blx up to 381.
im not that strong, but the heft of the racket really lets me wind up and crush it.

In the PSC6.1?

Head RIP Control 16 Natural; No string savers. :)

Also the racket weighs 14.0oz, just in case anyone was wondering!

-Fuji

5imon
07-31-2011, 09:04 PM
In the PSC6.1?

Head RIP Control 16 Natural; No string savers. :)

Also the racket weighs 14.0oz, just in case anyone was wondering!

-Fuji
Fuji, is PSC6.1 your current racket of choice? Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember seeing your sigs with different stick:confused:
Just wondering :)

Fuji
07-31-2011, 09:12 PM
Fuji, is PSC6.1 your current racket of choice? Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember seeing your sigs with different stick:confused:
Just wondering :)

I'm in the midst of going through rackets right now! :)

The PSC6.1 was my go to racket for the past year, but I couldn't find more for back ups, which is a huge problem, plus I hate buying off the bay!

I've gone through about a dozen sticks since January, just trying to find a PSC6.1 replacement. Right now it's a duel between the Youtek Prestige Mid, and the Volkl Organix 10 325.

-Fuji

NLBwell
07-31-2011, 09:17 PM
My original Kennex Black Aces are 14oz and 396 SW (per TW specs) without any modifications. My MG Prestige Pros are abou 350 SW, recently reduced from about 365 - I'll see how it goes with this setup.

tennis-kid
07-31-2011, 09:21 PM

-Fuji

Hi Fuji

Isn't it very hard to move racquet quickly when swing weight that high?
For example, when you expect the ball go to certain direction but it actually comes to the other direction, it is very difficult to swing quickly to meet the ball with heavy swing weight.
What is your racquet's balance?

Fuji
07-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Hi Fuji

Isn't it very hard to move racquet quickly when swing weight that high?
For example, when you expect the ball go to certain direction but it actually comes to the other direction, it is very difficult to swing quickly to meet the ball with heavy swing weight.
What is your racquet's balance?

Hey tennis-kid!

I don't find it that bad actually! I don't get caught off guard too often, (I play on hard courts where irregular bounces are few and far between).

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find it too hard to whip around. It's just a bit more difficult then lets say an Aero Drive or something like that, but I don't think it's that bad.

The balance is around 7 points HL, last time I measured. :)

-Fuji

Timbo's hopeless slice
07-31-2011, 11:04 PM
around 325 for me... I notice at least one tour pro has voted : "I don't really know"

Meaghan
07-31-2011, 11:48 PM
My rackets are extended half an inch which raises the SW and some lead @12 for a bit more....
Getting it right is difficult as I find 375+ tiring after a few sets but 360-370 ideal and can play all day!

Sentinel
07-31-2011, 11:53 PM
Very head heavy ;)

Gasolina
08-01-2011, 04:35 AM
Wow, to those with SW's up to the 370's, do you use a windshield wiper forehand. I'd imagine the recoil from that would tear my shoulder off. :shock:

Anyway, I expected zero responses in the below 300 to 310 range, but am quite surprised by a lot of high 370 responses.

tata
08-01-2011, 04:55 AM
I use a stock exo tour 18x20. specs say its 322 but i had a swingweight machine which calculated it to be actually 315...which it feels very light...

Meaghan
08-01-2011, 05:20 AM
Wow, to those with SW's up to the 370's, do you use a windshield wiper forehand. I'd imagine the recoil from that would tear my shoulder off. :shock:

Anyway, I expected zero responses in the below 300 to 310 range, but am quite surprised by a lot of high 370 responses.

Full western fh and full western 1hbh...don't change my grip its the same for both sides. The weight and SW don't feel huge unless you play with lighter rackets. I'm 6'4 its no biggie....

ben123
08-01-2011, 06:32 AM
.... how can you be so sure about your sw if you didnt measure it on a rdc machine

----> i dont really know ^^

Gasolina
08-01-2011, 06:38 AM
.... how can you be so sure about your sw if you didnt measure it on a rdc machine

----> i dont really know ^^
Just going by TW's specs and "working back" the swingweight using TW's customization tool when you add lead. Honestly I find the manual SW calculator with the pencils and pendulum swinging too variable.

CDestroyer
08-01-2011, 07:01 AM
360 grams / 365 swingweight / 6 points headlight

ben123
08-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Just going by TW's specs and "working back" the swingweight using TW's customization tool when you add lead. Honestly I find the manual SW calculator with the pencils and pendulum swinging too variable.

dunno if its so easy..

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/plowthrough.cgi

just press any racquet in this link. for example ptsgt+ on tw sw listed at 342 but on tw university in that link its listed at 323 thats 19 sw difference thats big. so what can we trust now? i dunno

movdqa
08-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Your link is to the plowthrough page. I don't see what you are trying to say.

cellofaan
08-01-2011, 07:31 AM
Your link is to the plowthrough page. I don't see what you are trying to say.

The plowthrough page shows specs from the racket used for the test. The swingweight for the pstgt+ used for the test differs from the swingweight listed on the sales page.

Power Player
08-01-2011, 07:36 AM
I really think a higher SW will make your game better. It makes it easier to play consistently for me since I don't lose control of my swing as much. If you have it dialed in right, the racquet will stay in line far more when you drop into the slot. It just takes less energy for me to me hit heavy shots. I am also more consistent as well and have more patience during points.

I wouldn't try this until you can hit the ball with proper rotation and have good footwork habits. If you are arming the ball, it will be a bad thing. It also helps to have a balance of 5-6pts HL or more. I do not notice any sluggishness, but not every racquet can be polarized properly.

A few racquets that are or look like great candidates for the high SW mod:

Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus - This looks like potentially the best stick for someone who wants to try it out. It will stay nice and light (under 12ozs) even when you have the SW at 360. It simply needs lead in the handle and the same amount of lead at 12.

ProKennex 7G - I have outlined why this is a perfect stick to dial up to 360SW in the PK7G thread.

Babolat Pure Drive - a monster with lead. Not only will it hit a massive ball, but proper lead placement will make the racquet feel a lot more solid and dampen more vibrations than stock.

Any stick with a lower static weight and higher SW in stock form is going to be the best option to mod with lead.

Gasolina
08-01-2011, 08:16 AM
dunno if its so easy..

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/plowthrough.cgi

just press any racquet in this link. for example ptsgt+ on tw sw listed at 342 but on tw university in that link its listed at 323 thats 19 sw difference thats big. so what can we trust now? i dunno
Hehe, I use a Yonex, and the SW from the link is nly 2 grams lower than listed in the specs. :)

movdqa
08-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Sounds like variances in the frames that they test. My KPS88s have a stock range of half an ounce so I can certainly understand the variance.

RDC machine is definitely the way to go if you have one available.

jjs891
08-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Hey PP'

I just modded my original APD+ (27.5") with ~8gms at the hoop and 3gms at 3 and 9 o'clock positions. It just hits big top spin drives and the serves are awesome, probably the best I ever hit. Pretty solid on the volleys too. I didn't counter balance under the grip but feels ok to me. How important is it to put weight back on the handle to balance it out?

Power Player
08-01-2011, 08:37 AM
It matters really to you. There are no rules..I find the balance of 6pts Hl to work for how I hit (semwestern..long stroke..WW finish).

Personally I like polarized setups and have stopped putting lead at 3 and 9.

Larrysümmers
08-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Full western fh and full western 1hbh...don't change my grip its the same for both sides. The weight and SW don't feel huge unless you play with lighter rackets. I'm 6'4 its no biggie....

Yeah, same here!!

Gasolina
08-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Personally I like polarized setups and have stopped putting lead at 3 and 9.
Does adding lead at the 12 help in stability for touch shots too? (Drop shots and slices)

I add to the 3&9 just for that. If I could get a way same results with half the lead at the 12, then I'd go the same route.

jjs891
08-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Ok thanks PP.

I like some lateral stability on APD for better volleys. That's the reason for 3 and 9. It only weighs ~11.8 oz and I'm used to swinging ~12.5 so I can add more at the handle. I actually tried with replacement leather grip and didn't really care for the sw. It felt kind of sluggish...not sure why. I guess it's like you said, whatever I feel comfortable.

Power Player
08-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Does adding lead at the 12 help in stability for touch shots too? (Drop shots and slices)

I add to the 3&9 just for that. If I could get a way same results with half the lead at the 12, then I'd go the same route.

I have the best slices of my life now to be honest. It is now a stroke that I can use whenever I need, whereas before it was 50/50. Much more driving and easier to hit. to be honest, my racquet in stock mode was great at slices also..I just made it even better.

My setup is simply 8 grams of lead at 12 to bring me to the Roddick Setup™ :

Weight : 12.2 ozs. SW : 360 Balance: 6 pts HL Length : 27.5

TaihtDuhShaat
08-01-2011, 10:37 AM

I would not want to return your serve!

Rabbit
08-01-2011, 10:55 AM
334 per stoneage's tool

Jack the(Forehand)Ripper
08-01-2011, 11:07 AM
I'll rock my Dunlop's 304, thanks. :D

Meaghan
08-01-2011, 11:12 AM
I would not want to return your serve!

haha here's a look at it with my beefed up bc20....
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=375406

HEADfamilydynasty
08-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Both my rackets are in the 390-410 range. It works for me.

Fuji
08-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Both my rackets are in the 390-410 range. It works for me.

Where do you put your lead to keep them under 14oz, but getting the higher SW? I pile mine on at 3 and 9, but 12 really does beef up the SW....

-Fuji

Fedace
08-01-2011, 04:56 PM
I don't want to know. If it FEELS good, that's the right SW.

TripleB
08-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I put I don't really know.

T-W made sure all of my Dunlop 4D 300 racquets had the exact same specs before stringing (since I had all four strung with a different string it was the only proper way to do it): Swingweight 290, 10.6 ounces, and 12 3/4" balance point

I do not know what the strung swingweight of the racquets are.

TripleB

Up&comer
08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
I have two sets of rackets. One is just a apdgt with a little lead in the throat. The other has a significant amount of lead from 3 and down around to 9 as well as some in the throat and at 12. The heavier ones are for when I'm really in a serve and volley mood, the others are the ones i use the most. The s and v are probably above 360 and the others are probably in the low 340s.

I have 3 of each set. Ive been sticking to the lighter ones though.

NST
08-02-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm in the midst of going through rackets right now! :)

The PSC6.1 was my go to racket for the past year, but I couldn't find more for back ups, which is a huge problem, plus I hate buying off the bay!

I've gone through about a dozen sticks since January, just trying to find a PSC6.1 replacement. Right now it's a duel between the Youtek Prestige Mid, and the Volkl Organix 10 325.

-Fuji

Maybe you don't need to find another racquet.There is a seller on the big auction site selling new HPS 6.1 and extended PSC frames.

souzahgg
08-02-2011, 07:16 AM
How can I measure my SW?

Fuji
08-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Maybe you don't need to find another racquet.There is a seller on the big auction site selling new HPS 6.1 and extended PSC frames.

I know! :( I do not buy off the big site though!

-Fuji

HEADfamilydynasty
08-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Where do you put your lead to keep them under 14oz, but getting the higher SW? I pile mine on at 3 and 9, but 12 really does beef up the SW....

-Fuji

I put lead in the handle and at 3,9, & 12.:)

corners
08-06-2011, 10:11 PM
I put I don't really know.

T-W made sure all of my Dunlop 4D 300 racquets had the exact same specs before stringing (since I had all four strung with a different string it was the only proper way to do it): Swingweight 290, 10.6 ounces, and 12 3/4" balance point

I do not know what the strung swingweight of the racquets are.

TripleB

A 15 gram string job (16 gauge nylon or similar) will add 30 swingweight units. Poly and gut a little more. So your swingweight is around 320.

Big_Dangerous
08-06-2011, 11:02 PM
I didn't quite realize what the time it takes for 10 swings was.

I'm guessing my racket is over 340 SW though, because the stock frames SW is 337, and I've made them a bit more head light and added weight, so that should only increase the SW right?

tennis-kid
08-07-2011, 12:45 AM
hey guys
how do you calculate your racquets swing weight after adding additional grip, lead tape and etc

tampa_edski
08-07-2011, 07:05 AM
How can I measure my SW?

Someone earlier had mentioned variability using the TW "swing it on a couple pencils" method, but I have had pretty consistent results. I modified the method a bit -

- I send the stick swinging with perhaps a little more amplitude than is suggested, and let the swings stabilize for about 4 or 5 swings.

- start counting at ZERO

- I count the time for 20 swings instead of 10 (of course I cut the average time in half plugging into the calculator)

- I do six runs, and calculate the average of all 6 measurements, and then drop the hi/low to see if there is any significant difference.

Doing this on my Wilson K 6.1 95 I got 342, which seems reasonable to the 340 or so spec I've seen published. I got the same number dropping the high and low...and the same consistency with my other 2 racquets...

Also - remember, SW is really an estimate that depends a lot on where you are assuming the pivot point is. The TW calculator assumes that is 10 cm (4") up the handle )I think the Bablat RDC method assumes the same?). Depending on how you hold your stick the real pivot point is likely different - maybe even different for different shots/grips. When I hold my K6.1 as if I serving or hitting a forehand, seems the pivot point for me is really about 3 3/4" (closer to 9.5 cm). Somewhere there are fomulae to make that adjustment if it was really imprtant to you.

I prefer to look at the specs as a guideline, not some absolute. Heck I'm sure my K was a little heavier after 3 hours yesterday and the enormous amount of sweat that the grip absorbed...