PDA

View Full Version : where to go from the pure storm LTD

dantesinferno18
07-31-2011, 10:29 PM
i've been playing with the PSLTD but im looking for a racket with a more open string pattern, also im looking for a little more heft, i wsa thinking the PS tour or the 6.1 95, what would you guys reccomend to demo?

Bartelby
07-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Prestige Pro would have to be on your list.

tennis4josh
07-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Pure Storm LTD is a very good racket. Have you tried with different string setup with full/hybrid poly to get more spin? For more heft you can just add some lead to the racket.

-Josh

TennisMaverick
08-01-2011, 01:33 AM
i've been playing with the PSLTD but im looking for a racket with a more open string pattern, also im looking for a little more heft, i wsa thinking the PS tour or the 6.1 95, what would you guys reccomend to demo?

Very close to the same feel with a more open pattern would be the PB 10 Mid. If you want to stay 18 mains, try the new London Tour. The PS Tour and the 6.1 95 are far stiffer/harsher than your PSLTD or the two Volkls.

TimothyO
08-01-2011, 02:31 AM
I use the PSLGT and also own the PB10 Mid which used to be my goto racquet. The PB10 isn't as maneuverable or spin friendly as the PSLGT. It's a great racquet but when I've tried the PB10 after using the PSLGT now it feels like a step backward.

The PSLGT is very mod-friendly. I replaced the leather grip with a shortened Wilson Shock Shield to fit my 1HBH. This reduced the weight a little bit and I put the savings in extra lead under the grip at the butt. A little more lead under the grip and at 6 and 12 provides lots of extra plow through and a more HL balance with a total weight around 12oz and 11 pts HL.

However, while I love the PSLGT, I too have been looking for a for frame with a little more power, especially on serve, while maintaining the Pure Storm's maneuverability, control, and spin potential.

So far, after trying many frames in recent weeks, the Speed MP 18x20 is the best candidate: As precise as the PSLGT, definitely more powerful, and with the right string excellent spin potential. Comfortable too in spite of the higher stiffness value, especially with lead under the butt, at 6, and a little at 12. Note that this is the older version on sale and not the new IG version which I foind too stiff.

My next two candiates are the MicroGel MP and OS which are also on sale. Being a racquetholic I'll probably order the OS first since it's more different from the Speed MP.

thug the bunny
08-01-2011, 10:29 AM
I used to have a PSL and loved it but it became my first player's blade casualty in my racquetaholic quest (sold it for $80US).

I agree that a little more heft and spin can be attained with some lead and a string change. I used to use about 4" at 9 and 3 with TF X1 BP 18g at a low tension.

Ottherwise, the KPS88 is a killer axe that may suit your tastes...

babolat king
08-01-2011, 11:16 AM
no where! the pure storm line are great racquets.

Power Player
08-01-2011, 11:33 AM
The Dunlop 200 would be an ideal candidate. If you want more power, the Wilson BLX95.

fuzz nation
08-02-2011, 04:08 AM
Agree with TennisMaverick that the 6.1 95 might be a big jump in stiffness, but you'll only know whether you like that once you have a hit with a demo I guess. The heavier Volkls ought to have some flex that's a bit more in the neighborhood of the Storm. I enjoy their C10's myself, but the "Volkl feel" might be rather unique (works for me).

KenC
08-03-2011, 05:30 AM
I've been using the PSLGT for a couple of years now. The only other racket that would be a "next step" might be the BLX90. I often hit with a friend's for fun and it is certainly a great frame, a little more demanding but definitely has more power with about the same control.

You can get the PSLGT to hit similarly to the PST GT by adding about 6-8 grams of lead to the hoop.

I still play with the PSLGT stock with just an overgrip. Over the last two years I have progressed from a decent 4.0 to an OK 5.0 and am able to really wail on the ball with minimum effort. The real "next step" with the PSLGT might be to hone in on technique to use more body in your shots?

origmarm
08-03-2011, 05:34 AM
Prestige Pro for sure is a demo. Open pattern, good weight and power. When I tried the PSL (non-GT) I found it similar in feel to the Microgel Prestiges. Haven't tried the YouTek yet.

dantesinferno18
08-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Well I actually just got a few more PSLTDs, I am just so used to it all of the other rackets felt weird, plus I got them cheap for playing college tennis

tennisnoob3
08-03-2011, 03:59 PM
pro tip: switching/searching for an endless amount of racquets wont make you better.

isn't this your 4th+ thread on a new racquet(with numerous new purchases each time)

OldButGame
08-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Insight tip:...People endlessly trying racquets may NOT necessarily be trying to 'make their game better',...but instead may simply enjoy the process of trying lots of different raquets,...to each his own,..

dantesinferno18
08-03-2011, 05:54 PM
pro tip: switching/searching for an endless amount of racquets wont make you better.

isn't this your 4th+ thread on a new racquet(with numerous new purchases each time)

No actually I havnt bought rackets for 2 yearsand I find it more creeepy that your stalking me

OldButGame
08-03-2011, 06:06 PM
(Hey Dante,..We're practical neighbors geographically!!!!!...(Vadnais Heights),...http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

tennisnoob3
08-03-2011, 06:08 PM
No actually I havnt bought rackets for 2 yearsand I find it more creeepy that your stalking me

stalking? your last 4 threads have been about racquet sponsorships/new racquets which can easily be answered in the massive sponsorship thread.

TheOneHander
08-03-2011, 06:17 PM
stalking? your last 4 threads have been about racquet sponsorships/new racquets which can easily be answered in the massive sponsorship thread.

Considering that those four threads were made once per month since May, it is slightly unnerving that you would either a) remember that or b) dig through his post history for the purpose of "putting him in his place" (which is what it sounds like you're trying to do).

tennisnoob3
08-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Considering that those four threads were made once per month since May, it is slightly unnerving that you would either a) remember that or b) dig through his post history for the purpose of "putting him in his place" (which is what it sounds like you're trying to do).

considering how barren/empty both college and junior subforums are....its not a surprise.

bottom of page 1 in college tennis was last posted in 6-15-11

deltacore1
08-03-2011, 06:59 PM
k six one 95 is the best, or the blx version.

dantesinferno18
08-03-2011, 10:16 PM
(Hey Dante,..We're practical neighbors geographically!!!!!...(Vadnais Heights),...http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

do you play high school or played*