PDA

View Full Version : Donnay Silver or Gold (x-dual core series) ?

cayzi
08-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Hello!

Would like to know more about the racket differences. TW reviewed gold bit I can find little information about silver (customer responses).

I also tried Donnay racket selector on their page and if I changed specifications of some parameters I get this result:

Silver: more control , need medium to full swing
Gold: more control & power, need full swing

X-P dual: something in between with bigger head size (donnay says more power)

Thanks for help!

cayzi
08-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Hm... :)

Would be great to get a response from those testing both models.

I am referring to a 99 inch head size.

suppawat
08-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Hm... :)

Would be great to get a response from those testing both models.

I am referring to a 99 inch head size.

Apart from weight, I don't feel much diffrence between those 2 racquets honestly. It's hard for me to differentiate 300g and 310g racquets (but from 310g to 320g I can feel the difference). I played both racquets with 3g weight slide at 3/9 and +10g butt cap installed anyway. A few of teaching pros who normally play 285g Prince/Yonex racquets can handle 310g Donnay frame comfortably.

Even though the stiffness may seem high, but bot racquets play softer than what the spec indicated. They hit very solid groundstroke with plenty of comfort. I can't emphasize more on comfort. It's a different kind of comfort I found in Babolat or other oversized hollow racquets. Most hollow mid plus or oversized racquets may be comfortable, but may not be safe if they don't absorb shock well enough. Let's take an example of the way you listen to music. If you listen to rock music in a toilet, you may hear a lot of noise/echos, which can irritate your ears. But if you listen to the same music in the acoustic room, the acoustic wall will absorb the noise/echo and remain high quality sound to your ears. The Dual XeneCore contruction in Donnay racquet performs the same function as acoustic wall. It significantly filters out harmful vibration to protect your elbow.

If you come from a thicker beam racquet like Babolat or Yonex, it will take some time to get used to but your arm will definitely be protected. But if you are from Head Prestige like I am, it'd take much shorter.

https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pBtj6yxGgWppnhoOPsaMJgBiruOPhARFwD17RR-aBFWfXe0TAev5CgDDCdsBocF54tWu94q6KraE/Donnay_X-Dual_Silver_99_03.JPG

https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pkFh3YJqcRoF3cDwm95cIPr19hqM6lasNnaeDqO2GIH1uLx4 dPrZr1kM8mMcB4GgrUauRymQl8hE/Donnay_X-Dual_Gold_99_03.JPG

Mig1NC
08-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Sounds like the silver would be a better starting place if you are planning on heavily customizing.

cayzi
08-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Sounds like the silver would be a better starting place if you are planning on heavily customizing.

Yes. It looks like silver with 3 HL is more even balanced racket.

Even though the stiffness may seem high, but bot racquets play softer than what the spec indicated. They hit very solid groundstroke with plenty of comfort.

What about the stroke style I have to generate. Let say that I do not hit with full stroke. I use medium stroke if I use Racket Selector phase from Donnay page.

Is Silver stiffer than Gold when playing? On Donnay Page (Racquet Shock Chart) Silver is the stiffest frame out there.

Will I provide enough power to the ball if I will not use a full technical swing. As someone on other topic mention Silver is low powered frame so as a 3.5 + player you need to use good technique. Here is the link to his review where SILVER vs. X-P Dual comparison is made:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5872191&postcount=22

Thanks all!

cayzi
08-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Still wonder what other users who tested both think about it?

Or maybe what was your final decision and why?

tlm
08-24-2011, 03:21 PM
The gold was better to me, much better control. But the silver lite beat both the gold and silver.

tlm
08-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Hello!

Would like to know more about the racket differences. TW reviewed gold bit I can find little information about silver (customer responses).

I also tried Donnay racket selector on their page and if I changed specifications of some parameters I get this result:

Thanks for help!

They are definitely wrong about the silver having more control, i think the silver probably has the worst control out of all the donnay rackets i have used.

cayzi
08-24-2011, 03:44 PM
OK. Then I will try GOLD.

I read somewhere here about Donnay or about customizing a light frame where someone said:

" I also found adding too much weight on light racquets will produce weird result. The better way is to play a heavier base racquet, and add just a little bit of weight."

tlm
08-24-2011, 08:10 PM

I read somewhere here about Donnay or about customizing a light frame where someone said:

" I also found adding too much weight on light racquets will produce weird result. The better way is to play a heavier base racquet, and add just a little bit of weight."

I think this is good advise.

HiroProtagonist
08-24-2011, 09:28 PM

I think this is good advise.

Head pro stock frames start out very light and often have in excess of 30 grams added to them, so I would say that is a fallacy.

Mig1NC
08-25-2011, 04:01 AM
Still wonder what other users who tested both think about it?

Or maybe what was your final decision and why?

As much as I loved the gold, I finally chose the silver becuase of the increase in power without being a power monster.

Control and spin were more than adequate, though the gold was a little better in that department.

I anticipate string choice can improve control on the silver over what I demo'd with.

cayzi
08-25-2011, 04:31 AM
As much as I loved the gold, I finally chose the silver becuase of the increase in power without being a power monster.

So there is some kind of difference between them. GOLD obviously less powered even if TW web side showing that they are quite similar in this area?

From what I tried compare to other racket like x8, TF295, Babolat PureDrive GT, ...I can easily move ball around the court and put it where I wanted. So much more feeling on ball if you ask me.

I wonder how RED (gold) or ORANGE (silver) must felt when people saying that X series have even more feel.

Thanks.

getsby
09-28-2011, 02:31 AM
I think releasing a new series and its positioning as a more powerful, in fact, we get a new paint job. which is logical, if so overpriced and the lack of contracts with strong acting pros former ruler could not have sold well
off-top, Suppawat, solinco grip looks incredible!

Racer41c
02-21-2012, 03:07 PM

Control and spin were more than adequate, though the gold was a little better in that department.

I anticipate string choice can improve control on the silver over what I demo'd with.

Hey Mig, how's that silver working out for you? I have a gold and just picked up a silver. I haven't strung up the silver yet, but I'm looking forward to a small decrease in heft. The gold is a lot of racquet for me, but I love everything about it.

VOLLEY KING
02-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Hello!

Thanks for help!

I have not tried the Gold believe it or not!!...but i know the silver real well.

The Gold seems to be more of an advanced stick on par with the Platinum which most liked better than the Gold.

I loved the platinum .....I actually was able to hit consistently with a 94 inch frame for the first time in my life.

I have to be honest however......Im not in love with the silver.....it does everything well but nothing great.

The Pro one on the other hand just blew my mind . I think its their best stick by far.

The great thing about it is that you can get it in 18x20 or 16x19 and they play quite differently.

Im serious ......I would not look at any other stick other than the Pro one in 18x20 or 16x19......Im still on the fence on it but leaning towards the 16x19.Trust me on this bro.

Mig1NC
02-21-2012, 04:37 PM
I haven't demo'd the Pro One, and probably wont becuase I bought several silvers and don't want to be tempted to change.

I still love the silver, it has that great x-dual feel, a tad more power and swiftness than the gold.

VOLLEY KING
02-21-2012, 04:38 PM
I haven't demo'd the Pro One, and probably wont becuase I bought several silvers and don't want to be tempted to change.

I still love the silver, it has that great x-dual feel, a tad more power and swiftness than the gold.

I understand .

Believe me ....I feel your pain

lgbalfa
02-22-2012, 12:31 PM
I have not tried the Gold believe it or not!!...but i know the silver real well.

The Gold seems to be more of an advanced stick on par with the Platinum which most liked better than the Gold.

I loved the platinum .....I actually was able to hit consistently with a 94 inch frame for the first time in my life.

I have to be honest however......Im not in love with the silver.....it does everything well but nothing great.

The Pro one on the other hand just blew my mind . I think its their best stick by far.

The great thing about it is that you can get it in 18x20 or 16x19 and they play quite differently.

Im serious ......I would not look at any other stick other than the Pro one in 18x20 or 16x19......Im still on the fence on it but leaning towards the 16x19.Trust me on this bro.

do you have access to the donnay line?

Sreeram
03-08-2012, 07:27 AM
I am currently playing Gold 99. My FH got tuned into this racquet straight away, but BH had few issues but past 2 days I had decent BH with Gold. I am getting there. Serves are beauty and I am able to place my serve and add pace to it. Still not fully into Gold, but want to give a full try because I am lost in the feel that this racquet produces and how it makes by FH a winner.

Is there anyone trying Gold or switched to Gold recently?

VOLLEY KING
03-08-2012, 06:36 PM
I found the Gold to be an advanced racquet . Basically for 4.5 and up.

The silver is more for a 4.0 -3.5.

But there's another donnay that I really LOVE.....hint hint wink wink .;-)

Sreeram
03-09-2012, 07:25 AM
I found the Gold to be an advanced racquet . Basically for 4.5 and up.

The silver is more for a 4.0 -3.5.

But there's another donnay that I really LOVE.....hint hint wink wink .;-)

It is true, Gold is for advanced strokes. One cannot push with Gold at all. That is the first thing that Gold tells you. But if I take big cuts then it gives me power on my shots like how I get with other famous tweeners. I am yet to take it to matches were I struggle to take big cuts due to arm being stiff. Having said that I am not playing any leagues, I have decided to play for fun with my friends and that is less pressure and truly flexi!

I did not play with sliver yet. But I cannot understand how silver with very similar spec (atleast frame width) to Gold except a closed pattern can be for lower level players.

I know you are referring to Pro one here but the reason I am reluctant to try Pro one is, it is not have the thin frame of Gold. A thin fame really makes the racquet cut through the air faster than Aero. So it gives me enough time to wait on the ball without worrying about the swing time.

VOLLEY KING
03-09-2012, 09:41 AM
It is true, Gold is for advanced strokes. One cannot push with Gold at all. That is the first thing that Gold tells you. But if I take big cuts then it gives me power on my shots like how I get with other famous tweeners. I am yet to take it to matches were I struggle to take big cuts due to arm being stiff. Having said that I am not playing any leagues, I have decided to play for fun with my friends and that is less pressure and truly flexi!

I did not play with sliver yet. But I cannot understand how silver with very similar spec (atleast frame width) to Gold except a closed pattern can be for lower level players.

I know you are referring to Pro one here but the reason I am reluctant to try Pro one is, it is not have the thin frame of Gold. A thin fame really makes the racquet cut through the air faster than Aero. So it gives me enough time to wait on the ball without worrying about the swing time.

I suppose you can "push" with any racquet.....but some racquets are better than others for pushing . Generally larger sized racquets are better for "pushing "

None o the Donnays are reallyade for pushing except possibly the formula. They are all players sticks.

The silver is different than the Gold because if memory serves correctly the gold is a bit heavier and the silver is stiffer .

The pro one is thicker than both but is still a very thin beamed racquet at a mere 21.5 . That's thin compared to a Babolat which is 27 for example.

If your looking for sticks to push with the best I have found is

Head TI6.....they are really cheap and the most popular stick ever sold. It's just such a fun stick. It's amazingly light and makes tennis easy. Extra added length helps you to get to more balls as well.

It is thick but feather light so Its very maneuvarble amd as fast as a donnay . It's
Just a great stick......a true classic.

getsby
04-15-2012, 05:59 AM
I've tried other thin stick, Babolat Pure Storm GT Ltd. It is very, very low powered stick. And I have a suspicion relative power level of Donnay racquet. Of course, Blue and Black (99s)-exclusion from the lineup.
Very interesting in this component of Silver and X-P Dual with lead tape or a customs kit..... :-?

Lambo
04-15-2012, 11:24 AM
well I have not played with either but currently play with the Platinum 94. Beautiful racquet.

getsby
04-15-2012, 03:32 PM
I think the platinum-copy of the prestige. I'm definitely not a fan of prestige, all versions

falc02
04-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Hi Everyone,

Anyone in Australia willing to have a hit and let me demo there Gold? I will pay for court hire :).

Lambo
04-16-2012, 11:26 AM
I think the platinum-copy of the prestige. I'm definitely not a fan of prestige, all versions

yup you are right. IF not a fan of prestige stay away from platinum. I have 6 prestige mid so platinum was perfect for me.

Racer41c
04-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Gold: 341g kitted: 5g in the handle, Resipro grip, Over grip, damp, head tape. I tried all the options with the 3g weights, but they changed the response of the racquet too much. The butt caps on the other hand are genius! Gut hybrid at 60 lbs: Pacific Classic/Iso prof classic. Very solid and stable. Power level and heft are perfect for me. I like to take an aggressive cut and the response is almost a good as a blx 90, but with a tremendous amount of forgiveness.

Silver: 341g kitted: 10g in the handle, Resipro grip, Over grip, damp, head tape. I had to max out the weight in the butt to calm the power. The balance point is 1-2 pts head heavy compared to the gold. I have a poly hybrid at 50 lbs in it now and will most likely go down from there. The stock racquet is too powerful for me so I've thrown everything low power at it. This stick is a spin monster with poly.

Bottom line: Comparing one to the other: Gold is hefty and solid, Silver swings fast and has a lot more power.

falc02
04-17-2012, 02:05 AM
Racer41c I am looking at replacing my Head YT IG Radical Pro with the Donnay Gold 99. Are you able to provide any comparison? How do you find your Donnay racquets overall?

Racer41c
04-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Racer41c I am looking at replacing my Head YT IG Radical Pro with the Donnay Gold 99. Are you able to provide any comparison? How do you find your Donnay racquets overall?

Sorry, I haven't hit with a radical in quite a long time. I do remember liking the Pro best, but it's been too long.

getsby
04-17-2012, 01:42 PM
antiadvertising all X-Dual series serves as a message that this racket (Silver), cracked in the throat. I stopped it a lot of buying, as I initially did not trust such a thin beam

Readers
04-17-2012, 04:18 PM
antiadvertising all X-Dual series serves as a message that this racket (Silver), cracked in the throat. I stopped it a lot of buying, as I initially did not trust such a thin beam

What? ?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Readers
04-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Gold: 341g kitted: 5g in the handle, Resipro grip, Over grip, damp, head tape. I tried all the options with the 3g weights, but they changed the response of the racquet too much. The butt caps on the other hand are genius! Gut hybrid at 60 lbs: Pacific Classic/Iso prof classic. Very solid and stable. Power level and heft are perfect for me. I like to take an aggressive cut and the response is almost a good as a blx 90, but with a tremendous amount of forgiveness.

Silver: 341g kitted: 10g in the handle, Resipro grip, Over grip, damp, head tape. I had to max out the weight in the butt to calm the power. The balance point is 1-2 pts head heavy compared to the gold. I have a poly hybrid at 50 lbs in it now and will most likely go down from there. The stock racquet is too powerful for me so I've thrown everything low power at it. This stick is a spin monster with poly.

Bottom line: Comparing one to the other: Gold is hefty and solid, Silver swings fast and has a lot more power.

Silver is faster to swing even though they are the same weight and the silver being a little less HL? I think they are almost the same mold anyway, any idea what factor could cause this?

getsby
04-17-2012, 05:43 PM
What? ?? :confused: :confused: :confused:read the nearby topic

ian2
04-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Head pro stock frames start out very light and often have in excess of 30 grams added to them, so I would say that is a fallacy.
I second that. Can't say much about Silver or Gold, though I did hit briefly with both. And with X-Red, and X-White. I don't think there is much difference, aside from the weight and balance. I think a lighter X-series racket will play pretty much like a heavier one if leaded to the same specs. I ended up buying two X-Whites.

Stock X-White is about 303g 3 pts HL strung if I remember correctly. Mine are customized to 338g, 7 pts HL (leather grip, all three slides, plus lead at 10-11). Nothing "weird" about the way they play with heavy customization.

Racer41c
04-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Silver is faster to swing even though they are the same weight and the silver being a little less HL? I think they are almost the same mold anyway, any idea what factor could cause this?

In stock form, the silver is lighter and swings faster. But I couldn't control the power without adding weight to the handle. So I set them up to be as close as possbile to each other so switching is not a problem. I hardly ever use the Silver, so I'm going to sell it as soon as I get around to it. Not sure why, but the gold is more solid on volleys which is a key for me.

In the end, there are many who just love the Silver and many who prefer the Gold. They have the same general feel and are definitely from the same mold.