PDA

View Full Version : Help me find my new racquet

FriarTuck
08-01-2011, 01:09 AM
So I'm in the market for a new racquet. I'm a 29 year old guy and I started playing tennis about 5 years ago with no lessons and started playing 3.0-3.5 league play last year. I use a semi-western grip and have a decent forehand, a boring slice backhand and a horribly inconsistent serve.

I currently use an oversized Wilson nCode nFury with RPM Blast but I feel like it is too much and too light of a racquet for me. I swing pretty hard even when I go easy so I'm looking for more control.

I've recently hit the following demos:

6.1 BLX Tour
6.1 BLX 95
Babolat Aero Pro Drive
Babolat Pure Drive Roddick
Head Youtek IG Speed 18x20
Head Youtek IG Speed 300 (16x19 lighter version)

Of all these, I liked the Head Youtek IG Speed 18x20 the best and the 6.1 BLX 95 (16x19) second best.

My goals are to be much more consistent, incorporate more topspin in my strokes and develop a consistent serve. Of course, improving my technique will make the biggest difference, but I want a racquet that will give me confidence to really go after my shots.

So, what other racquets out there should I be looking at? I don't know that much about the smaller manufacturers or even about the other Head racquet. I've always been partial to Wilson mainly because I'm a Fed fan.

Thanks!

Fed Kennedy
08-01-2011, 01:51 AM
If you liked the speed and the 6.1 the best, I would look at the storm line from babolat, pure storm and aero storm. They both come in lightweight and tour versions.

FriarTuck
08-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the response. I'll have to put that on my demo list.

How about any of the other Head racquets like the radical or prestige? Seems like a lot of pros use these. Also are any Prince racquets worth a demo?

I hit the Wilson BLX 6.1 95 today and I really like the weight and feel of the racquet when I strike it well.

Thanks!

subra
08-03-2011, 05:30 AM
So I'm in the market for a new racquet. started playing 3.0-3.5 league play last year. I use a semi-western grip and have a decent forehand, a boring slice backhand and a horribly inconsistent serve.

Babolat Aero Pro Drive

My goals are to be much more consistent, incorporate more topspin in my strokes and develop a consistent serve. Of course, improving my technique will make the biggest difference, but I want a racquet that will give me confidence to really go after my shots.

I'm a Fed fan.

FriarTuck - I read this post and felt it pretty much describes exactly my situation!! (All the portions highlighted above...right down to Fed fan! :)) Could you confirm what your final selection was?

Also, did you demo the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick at all? What were your thoughts? I have almost made up my mind to buy it.

Thanks for your help!

FriarTuck
08-03-2011, 09:09 PM
I am still in between getting the Wilson BLX 6.1 95 and the Head IG Speed. I'm also considering the Wilson BLX Blade 98. I hit both the Aero Pro and the Pure Drive Roddick and I didn't have a good time with either one of them. The Roddick just felt too long and stiff. It may have been the demo string, I don't know. I have a friend who swears by it, so I know it works for some people.

I really like hitting with the 6.1 95, I just will have to improve my strokes to effectively play it, I think, especially my back hand and serve. That's why I'm strongly considering the BLX Blade 98 with the slightly bigger head and easier playability.

I'm pretty convinced that I won't really know if I like a racquet until after I've played with it for at least a month. So I'm looking in the used ads here for a good deal on one so I can really try to get acclimated to the racquet an then possibly buy a new on and use the used one as a backup.

Fuji
08-03-2011, 09:23 PM
The BLX 95 is a great stick. I never got into it because I used the old version which is my favorite racket, but it is by far one of the best line of rackets IMO. It does take a bit of effort to get used to, but once you acclimate to it, it is for sure a fantastic racket.

I also MUCH prefer it to the blade. The blade just feels "light" in comparison to the 95.

-Fuji

TU87
08-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Purchased a BLX 6.1 95 (16x18) a couple weeks ago after demo suggested by my local shop. Great racquet. Only thing I'm struggling with is overheads due to the added weight, just need more time to get used to it. I love the groundstrokes and serves it produces. I never had considered a Wilson and had been demoing quite a number of other brands. Previously used a PD Roddick. The 95 has better feel.

tnsanydy
08-04-2011, 07:40 PM
So I'm in the market for a new racquet. I'm a 29 year old guy and I started playing tennis about 5 years ago with no lessons and started playing 3.0-3.5 league play last year. I use a semi-western grip and have a decent forehand, a boring slice backhand and a horribly inconsistent serve.

I currently use an oversized Wilson nCode nFury with RPM Blast but I feel like it is too much and too light of a racquet for me. I swing pretty hard even when I go easy so I'm looking for more control.

I've recently hit the following demos:

6.1 BLX Tour
6.1 BLX 95
Babolat Aero Pro Drive
Head Youtek IG Speed 18x20
Head Youtek IG Speed 300 (16x19 lighter version)

Of all these, I liked the Head Youtek IG Speed 18x20 the best and the 6.1 BLX 95 (16x19) second best.

So, what other racquets out there should I be looking at? I don't know that much about the smaller manufacturers or even about the other Head racquet. I've always been partial to Wilson mainly because I'm a Fed fan.

Thanks!

Finding the racket that's right for you is kinda like finding the right woman to marry- it has to feel right and comfortable the moment you hold it! Don't go for rackets that you think will improve your game just because a famous pro is using it! That'll be your biggest mistake- before you realize it- you're in the market looking for yet another racket! I've been using the old PSC 6.1 95 for years now and it was a perfect fit for me from the first hit and never really looked for another racket. Then finally it was time to retire them because they're really old so I switched to the re-released Slazenger Pro braided ($109) and it was like my PSC's long lost twin and it's now my regular stick!:)

FriarTuck
08-08-2011, 08:35 PM
So I've settled on the Wilson BLX Blade 98. It's a great feeling stick. It's light enough to be very maneuverable but it has a pretty high swingweight so I'm able to plow through the ball pretty well.

In a hitting session and then playing doubles and Australian doubles, I was able to generate an acceptable amount of spin and pace and really pop a few when necessary. My groundstrokes were very deep and giving my opponents problems. My serving was also very good. When I really went after the flat serve and made good contact the serve usually wasn't returned, or at least not well.

I may have to eventually add some weight in the handle to increase the static weight and make it more head light, but right now it feels great.

subra
08-08-2011, 09:57 PM
So I've settled on the Wilson BLX Blade 98. It's a great feeling stick. It's light enough to be very maneuverable but it has a pretty high swingweight so I'm able to plow through the ball pretty well.

In a hitting session and then playing doubles and Australian doubles, I was able to generate an acceptable amount of spin and pace and really pop a few when necessary. My groundstrokes were very deep and giving my opponents problems. My serving was also very good. When I really went after the flat serve and made good contact the serve usually wasn't returned, or at least not well.

I may have to eventually add some weight in the handle to increase the static weight and make it more head light, but right now it feels great.

Thanks for all your suggestions, everyone. FriarTuck, good to know your choice

I settled for the PDGT+ and am satisfied as well. I play against a 4.0 regularly. Today, though I lost again, I took many games to deuce. Plus, I got out of sticky positions like 30-40 consistently with decent serves.