PDA

View Full Version : MicroGel Radical MP & OS

TimothyO
08-01-2011, 02:59 AM
I've searched for comments on these two frames and read the reviews but would like to get current thoughts on them. Both are on sale at TW and one of them may solve a problem for me.

My current frame is the PSLGT and I'm also fooling around with the Speed MP. The PSLGT is a wonderful racquet but the low power provides some challenges on serves. So I'm looking for an alternative with a little more oomph while maintaining the PSLGT's incredible control, spin, and comfort. It may be a fool's errand but I love to tinker!

Question for those who currently use or have used the MicroGel Radical MP and OS frames: How are the power and spin potential? Does the OS generate enough spin with ease to overcome its greater power? Is the MP's SB too dense to be spin friendly?

I'm pretty certain the MP is fairly precise but how about the OS? I've tried some other OS frames and even with an 18x20 pattern I found control suffered compared to the Pure Storm and even the Speed MP.

Thanks in advance!

Giannis
08-01-2011, 03:49 AM
Why dont you just add a bit of lead on your PSLGT hoop to give it some more power?

TimothyO
08-01-2011, 03:55 AM
Already done. Mods to PSLGT: replaced leather grip with Shock Shield grip, added weight at butt, 6, and 12. Result: ~12oz and ~11 pts HL. Have toyed with balance and weights from 9-11 pts HL and 11.6 to 12.1oz.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the PSLGT and my current configuration. It simply lacks pace on serves and changing the configuration results in too many compromises in other areas. The two frames which are the topic of this thread are cheap enough now that a little experimentation would be fun.

Of the two I'm more interested in the OS since it's more different from the Speed MP while the MP is more similar. My only fear with the OS is that it might be a rocket launcher in light of my experience with other OS frame demos. However, maybe the flex will prevent that from happening.

Giannis
08-01-2011, 04:52 AM
If you added 6 grams at 3-9 o'clock and 3 grams at 12 o'clock, that would get your swingweight to around 334(making the racket super stable and more powerful), then you could play with weight on the butt to achieve your preferred balance. 9-11 pts headlight might be too headlight i think, try something like 6-8pts headlight.

Now, if you insist on trying the radical OS, i played very little with it and as far as i can remember it wasnt a rocket launcher. You can always play with the string tension if you find it too powerful.

TimothyO
08-01-2011, 05:32 AM
If you added 6 grams at 3-9 o'clock and 3 grams at 12 o'clock, that would get your swingweight to around 334(making the racket super stable and more powerful), then you could play with weight on the butt to achieve your preferred balance. 9-11 pts headlight might be too headlight i think, try something like 6-8pts headlight.

Now, if you insist on trying the radical OS, i played very little with it and as far as i can remember it wasnt a rocket launcher. You can always play with the string tension if you find it too powerful.

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of info I'm looking for on the OS!

re: balance I've found that the heavier the frame the more HL I need to maintain speed and maneuverability. For my physique I seem to enjoy something around 12oz. Too much below that I've found that I miss the overall plow through of a heavier frame. Above that and I need an increasingly HL balance until it's just so darn heavy I feel shoulder pain. So ~11.8 to ~12.3 at 9-11 pts HL seems to be my comfort zone.

Thanks again!

meowmix
08-01-2011, 08:25 AM
From what I remember of the Radical OS's that I've played with (LM and FXP), they're not all that powerful- pretty spin friendly, good frames overall. I just didn't really enjoy playing with them for reasons including feel, lack of confidence (the OS plays with the mind for me...).

I currently play the Rad MP. Dense string pattern though it may be, spin is readily accessible, and I actually hit a really heavy, spinny ball with it. I'm sure that the OS isn't quite as controllable as the midplus, but neither are horrible.

Cup8489
08-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Try a prestige MP. similar in weight, string pattern..

you won't get as much spin due to it being a tad more powerful than the PSL, but it will give you what you want on the serve.

TimothyO
08-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Try a prestige MP. similar in weight, string pattern..

you won't get as much spin due to it being a tad more powerful than the PSL, but it will give you what you want on the serve.

Very true! I tried the Prestige MP over the weekend. It was great except for the lack of spin potential. But even without the idiot proof spin I still enjoyed its precision, especially when serving. Definitely had some extra power. Based on that demo and comments above I'm thinking the OS might be ok...larger head for extra power and spin but tamed by the 18x20 patter and flexy frame. Only question is will the size make the pattern " to open" resulting in loss of control and excessive power. I think the consensus is no on the power but jury might be out on control issue.

Cup8489
08-01-2011, 09:23 AM
OS might be too big of a jump for you. the MP is already quite a bit more powerful on everything but the serve.. which can be easily beefed up with proper lead placement.

the Radical MP has a fair amount more natural spin than the Prestige MP, though I think this is a function of the lower flex. Pretty much, if you want a racquet with grounstrokes like the PSL, you're going to have to give up a bit on the serve.. but you lose less with the Radical MP than you do with the PSL.

I've played with both, and this is my opinoin.

Maybe give a Prestige Pro a try? theyre really something special.

TimothyO
08-01-2011, 10:15 AM
I was thinking the same thing on the flex issue. The PSLGT is extremely dense but still generates ball-bending spin. The Speed MP is stiffer and even with a similar string setup doesn't generate the same level of spin (I had Team in the Speed MP but it proved too much power...touch has been generating better spin at lower power).

The idea here is to split the difference between the PSLGT and Speed MP. Think "Speed MP with the same spin potential as the PSLGT and just a little more pop".

The softer flex of the MG Radical MP relative to the Speed might be sufficient. On the other hand, if the OS isn't excessively powerful, then maybe the even more open pattern might generate even more spin without losing too much control.

Oh what the heck, they're on sale at virtually half price. Might just buy both! :-)

Faithfulfather
08-01-2011, 11:30 AM
I have a microgel OS with a head leather grip plus I can give you the original head soft grip. It is strung with a full bed of Weiss cannon scorpion right now but I can restring with a hybrid for only $60 shipped. It is 8.5/10 condition.

TimothyO
08-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks Faithful but we're not supposed to discuss trades and sales here. If you'd like to discuss that you should post something in the classified section if you've not done so already. I'll pop over there for a look.

In the meantime, how did the OS play wrt control and precision? Did it feel like a typical, precise 18x20 frame or more like a very open pattern?

Did you find yourself hitting long or were you able to keep shots in using spin? Were you "fighting" the frame's power or was it easy to control?

jjs891
08-01-2011, 01:28 PM
My wife used to play with MG Rad OS with full gut. Although it had good feel. it is light weight and low powered. I thought it really needed lead tape to increase the sw.

TaihtDuhShaat
08-01-2011, 01:34 PM
The PSL is really special in that it is very flexible, combined with the HL balance, woofer grommets allowing less string-grommet friction, and a less lively stringbed allowing it to be strung at a low tension, it can generate so much spin compared to almost any other 18x20 95". The effect is just increased with added mass to the head and handle.

The MG rad mp has about the same amount of power as the PSL original (lower than the PSLGT even) due to less overall mass. It is less HL, which leads it to generate less spin. The MG rad has a livelier stringbed, so it usually requires a few more lbs. of tension, further reducing it's spin potential compared to the PSL due to increased inter-string friction.

Given that you are further reducing the stringbed friction by stringing with gut mains and poly crosses, the PSL is going to be hard to beat for bite and control at your specs.

I've found that adding mass at 10 and 2 generates as much or more spin than 12, and gives you more plow thru and directional accuracy on serve. The lower the mass at 10/2 (10 and 2 vs. 1030 and 130) the flexier the frame will play and the more spin you will get.

The mass at 6 actually reduces spin as it increases the dynamic stiffness of the frame, taking away dwell time, and it makes the bottom half of the stringbed hotter than the top half. I wouldn't add mass there.

Cup8489
08-01-2011, 01:37 PM
truthfully timothyo, I really think perhaps you should demo.. however the Radical MP gives enough spin to bring it in, but in my opinion the power level on the limited is just so low that you'll always be able to get more spin by hitting out on the ball. but I think, IIRC, the OS has a bit too lively of a string bed for my taste.

The main reason I suggested a Prestige Pro is that, from personal experience, it's a spin monster, but has the precision that you'd expect from a player's frame. its not too heavy, especially the YT version, and has plenty of pop on the serve. it feels stiffer on contact, but you still get the feeling of being able to hit out on it.

I really think you should give it a look.

TimothyO
08-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks Cup! I'll definitely demo the Prestige Pro.

Shaat...great info on the lead placement, I'll give it a try!

adventure
08-01-2011, 03:59 PM
I understand the OS is very comfortable but a bit underpowered.

If I went to a prince original graphite OS, would it give me a similar level of comfort, but with more power?

FedExpress 333
08-01-2011, 04:33 PM
I pesonally like the MP better, it had more control.

dak95_00
08-01-2011, 05:53 PM
I had the Microgel Radical OS......Great groundtroke racquet w/ plenty of control, the right amount of power at ease and when stepping on the shot, and very easy to hit w/ spin and to flatten out the shots. HOWEVER,.......because of its very light weight.....I never served consistantly w/ it. I just never had the feel for it w/ the serve.

I went back to playing my POG mid and then to a Prince Graphite II midplus and today had a hit w/ a POG OS that I think I'm going to stick with.

The POG OS had similar groundstroke feel to the Radical OS but a little more solid and the serves were very easy to place and hit hard or w/ spin. It was also much easier to volley w/ due to the added weight. I really just think the Microgel Radical OS is just too light. I wouldn't bother adding weight. I'd just go w/ a POG OS. What are we talking about here? $20-$30?

TimothyO
08-02-2011, 03:27 AM
Dak,

Had you modified the OS? If yes, what did you think?

Using the TW manual customization tool it appears I can get both the MP and OS to a weight and balance that works for me without insane amounts of lead. I always use the Wilson Shock Shield, which is a heavy replacement grip, with a Babolat VS original overgrip. IIRC about 6g at different points in the head and a little more under the grip should bring the frame to 343g at 10.5 pts HL which I really enjoy. From there I can mod based on feel and actual playing experience.

On that note I also looked at the POG and will likely demo it. Seems very attractive. Only concern would be that it's at the limit of what I can use as far as weight is concerned and not as HL as I like. Customization options would therefore be very limited. Not sure I could get it to something friendly for my shoulder.

In any case I'll probably pull the trigger on the OS today. The MP seems so very close to what I already have in the PSLGT and/or Speed MP while the OS appears to be very different with its much larger head combined with a very low flex and 18x20 pattern. If the OS doesn't work a recent garage sale has provided some extra bucks to acquire the MP. :)

The OS seems close to another frame I've demoed a few times: the EXO3 Tour 100 18x20. I really enjoyed the spin/power/control combo but have never really been able to get into the O port thing. It seems to make the frame feel hollow and wimpy. If the OS plays like a soild version of the EXO3 18x20 I'd be very happy.

TheBoom
08-02-2011, 04:27 AM
I thought that the mg radical had awesome spin
But needed weight in order to get lots of power and easy court penetration. I weighted it to 12.5 and it was super duper solid. It is more of a platform needing to be customized rather than already being solid

TimothyO
08-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks to all who contributed! After this discussion and reading the many customer reviews and the TW review I just ordered the OS from our TW friends.

Reasoning: the MP looks very, very similar to my existing PSLGT while the OS has a significantly larger headsize. Might as well experiment with something really different to push the envelope.

As there are no glaring comments about the OS being a trampoline or suffering from terrible control issues hopefully the wider pattern relative to the PSLGT will provide some extra pace and even more spin. In fact most comments describe it as providing great control and spin while remaining fairly low powered.

Will know for sure next week! :)

adventure
08-02-2011, 01:20 PM
I've tried a number of midplus rackets and I always return to an OS. It's a lot easier to find the sweetspot, and hence a lot easier on your arm.

I think for most recreational players, an OS is simply the better choice; more fun hitting shots, much better for your health. :)