PDA

View Full Version : How does Priority One add weight to the handle?

cys19
08-01-2011, 05:53 PM
How does Priority One add weight to the handle? Do they use a custom weighted buttcap? And if they do, how far up from the buttcap do the weights extend to? Thanks.

eleventeenth street
08-01-2011, 06:13 PM
probably silicone in the hairpin

cys19
08-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Previous threads state that p1 uses lead weights sealed with epoxy. Are these weights spherical in form like fish weights? If not, what shape are they and how far up the handle do the weights extend?

Bud
08-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Previous threads state that p1 uses lead weights sealed with epoxy. Are these weights spherical in form like fish weights? If not, what shape are they and how far up the handle do the weights extend?

If you really need to add quite a bit of weight, you can put in about an inch (depth) of silicone and imbed lead weights within the silicone. Small fishing weights work or you can fold up some lead tape strips to make a lead ball.

Silicone by itself weighs quite a bit and usually no need for both.

BobFL
08-01-2011, 09:34 PM
I dissected on of P1 racquets (customized for one of the best dubs players) and they used cylinder-shaped pieces of lead dipped in some kind of black epoxy. However, I am not saying that all their racquets are customized the same way :) They certainly use hundreds of yards of lead tape...

cys19
08-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Smearing the insides of one's racquet with epoxy (or silicone) sounds like a pretty permanent modification to me. (Or an incredibly difficult one to undo.)
Should've bought a smaller grip with the sole purpose of building up the handle with lead tape.

cys19
08-03-2011, 11:34 AM
I dissected on of P1 racquets (customized for one of the best dubs players) and they used cylinder-shaped pieces of lead dipped in some kind of black epoxy. However, I am not saying that all their racquets are customized the same way :) They certainly use hundreds of yards of lead tape...

How far did the cylinder-shaped pieces of lead reach into the handle?

BobFL
08-03-2011, 12:00 PM
How far did the cylinder-shaped pieces of lead reach into the handle?

In that particular racquet they were not inserted that deep at all - maybe 1 inch...

NeverGassed1212
08-03-2011, 01:55 PM
I haven't seen any posts mention it before, but I use silicone earplugs in the hairpin to add weight and try to reduce vibration a bit. Its might seem a little pricey but it is easier to remove if you don't like the results. The staples that hold the buttcap on will limit depth but can serve as stop if you just want to add a couple of weights at the top of the hairpin. If you want to get farther into the hairpin you will need to remove the buttcap and find a way to control depth and prevent silicone from falling toward the hoop, I have used lead tape successfully.

TaihtDuhShaat
08-03-2011, 03:57 PM
I use the blue-tak that is sold at ACE hardware to counterweight in the hairpin. I put a cotton ball into each hairpin and add the blue-tak while the racquet is on my makeshift balance board until I reach the desired balance. It's pliable and easy to install, and it's easily removed with a thin screwdriver all the way to the cotton as deep as 4" IME. 3$ for 52 g's.