PDA

View Full Version : Vantage BastCore!

big bang
08-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Ok guys havent heard anyone talk about the BastCore´s lately, how many is using them around here?, and whats your setup?.

Im expecting 4 BC20´s in a few days and got a pretty good feeling about them, specs is close to perfect for me, only thing I will do to begin with is to add a leather grip and perhaps a few grams of lead at 3 and 9.

specs:
Headsize 95
String Pattern 16 x 19
Strung Weight 335g
Strung Balance 310mm
Stiffness 49RA
Swing Weight 310
Power Rating 62/10

Note: these are strung specs!

With the leather grip I expect to add around 10 grams (have to weight the original first of course). I will start with 5 grams of lead at 3 and 9 as I like very headlight racquets. If my assumptions are correct I should end up with a frame just around 330 grams unstrung and lower the balancepoint of course.
I will test different polys like alu power, silver string and volkl cyclone in the range 50-55 lbs.

Please share your experience/oppinion on the BastCore line thanks:)

Larrysümmers
08-02-2011, 10:51 AM
49 flex...might as well just use a pillow :D

tennisjon
08-02-2011, 10:56 AM
I've been demoing for the past week. All 3 (95, 100, 105) are really flexible and generate really good spin. I would say they don't feel as mushy as the flex ratings would suggest. They are pretty heavy in weight, but their balance doesn't make them feel heavy. All three are player's racquets for sure.

big bang
08-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the replies:).

Larry from what I heard the BC´s doesnt feel as flexy as the RA might indicate, but I will see about that in a few days from now.

tennisjon I heard the same from other ppl and I cant wait to try myself:), about being heavy, its a matter of what you are used to I guess, for me they are a bit too light but thats easily fixed.

PandaKing
08-02-2011, 11:22 AM
If you could. Could you post up a video of you hitting with the racket and how you like it? Was thinking of actually buying one of these. :D

big bang
08-02-2011, 11:43 AM
will see what I can do mr.Pandaking:). Have you read the BastCore thread by Meaghan?, lots of good info and reviews.

PandaKing
08-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks! :D Gonna go search for it. Seems like its one of the underdog brands that just dont get any spotlight ;(

martin
08-02-2011, 12:09 PM
I have the bc20 and bc30. Obviously they feel a bit more flexible then most rackets but it also depends what kind of strings you use.
Powerlevel is surprisingly high for such flexible rackets.
I do like the power and bigger sweetspot of the bc30 vs the bc20 so that's the racket i use most of the times.
Big advantage is the better spin potential because of the flexibility.

JGads
08-02-2011, 12:14 PM
You bought four of these things without demoing? Don't get me wrong, they're amazing sticks -- one of my Top 3 GOATs -- but that's a helluva commitment.

msalamon
08-02-2011, 12:14 PM
the flex ratings on these are hard to believe.

JGads
08-02-2011, 12:19 PM
They don't feel anything like the flex ratings. Not a pillow or a noodle at all.

big bang
08-02-2011, 12:28 PM
You bought four of these things without demoing? Don't get me wrong, they're amazing sticks -- one of my Top 3 GOATs -- but that's a helluva commitment.

Yep and I ordered a lot more than just 4 BC20´s.

JGads
08-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Well, good luck and report back, of course.

Good news is, I've never hit a Vantage frame I didn't like. Stellar company that makes frames of much higher quality than what you now find on the more popular shelves. Whether it's the customs or the BCs, I always feel that first-class difference upon first hit.

big bang
08-02-2011, 12:58 PM

Good news is, I've never hit a Vantage frame I didn't like. Stellar company that makes frames of much higher quality than what you now find on the more popular shelves. Whether it's the customs or the BCs, I always feel that first-class difference upon first hit.
Thanks, will do.
I havent hit with that many yet, but that will soon change. The few models I tried in the past was very nice even though they werent close to my specs. I like oldschool frames and right now you can only get them from Vantage ( and a few others but at a completely different price).

levy1
08-02-2011, 01:38 PM
The Bastcore 20's are the best rackets I have used second only to Vantage custom rackets who build the Bastcore. I have two matched for sale only because at 63 I am playing GCTA matches for 3 hours in 92 degree heat. I need to move to a 10.5-11.oz racket. I only hope I can find anything near the feel and performance of these rackets. You are right as far as the flex is concerned, no one who hits with them thinks they hit like the low RA number on them. Read my demo post in the Bastcore thread by Mehan.

levy1
08-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Agreed!

Agreed!

scotus
08-02-2011, 02:08 PM
I own 4 of these racquets. As many have attested, BC20s do not feel like a racquet with 49RA.

Let me give you a bit more details:

* They do not feel that flexy.
* They are powerful; in fact, too powerful for me that I have to string the racquet in the mid-60s. You will find that a lot of posters have been stringing this with stiff polys like Tour Bite at nearly 60 lbs.
* The comfort is good, but not excellent. It could be better if I could string this at a low tension, but the frame's high power does not allow me to do that.

I would say, having tried over 100 frames, the flex you will feel from BC20, considering its power, comfort, and the degree of "noodleness", would be comparable to racquets rated at 60-62 RA.

big bang
08-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Great to hear some opinions on this:)

big bang
08-02-2011, 03:06 PM
I own 4 of these racquets. As many have attested, BC20s do not feel like a racquet with 49RA.

* They are powerful; in fact, too powerful for me that I have to string the racquet in the mid-60s. You will find that a lot of posters have been stringing this with stiff polys like Tour Bite at nearly 60 lbs.
* The comfort is good, but not excellent. It could be better if I could string this at a low tension, but the frame's high power does not allow me to do that.

I would say, having tried over 100 frames, the flex you will feel from BC20, considering its power, comfort, and the degree of "noodleness", would be comparable to racquets rated at 60-62 RA.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks:).
Hopefully they will feel around the same as my TGK´s at 63RA.
How powerfull would you say they are? 6.1 power?.

Dave M
08-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Brilliant frame and the QC is good too so getting them to match isn't a headache.The RA is low but it really doesn't tell the story, it flexes in a very different way, I think recoil is a more accurate statement, give 'em some time when they arrive for you to get used to them as they are V different to the others you've liked in the past.

levy1
08-02-2011, 03:07 PM

I agree, I had to string at 60lbs

big bang
08-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Brilliant frame and the QC is good too so getting them to match isn't a headache.The RA is low but it really doesn't tell the story, it flexes in a very different way, I think recoil is a more accurate statement, give 'em some time when they arrive for you to get used to them as they are V different to the others you've liked in the past.
Thanks Dave I will:)

Boxofweasels
08-02-2011, 03:16 PM
The BC30 has been my dream racquet. It does everything well and is super-comfortable (I have wrist and shoulder issues but NOT with this racquet). The handle is a neutral Dunlop shape but they will change the grip for you for another $40 (The option is listed in their "accessories section" - I changed mine to the Head shape, which I prefer).

big bang
08-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Another thing that should be mention is the customer service, I have had 20 mails within the last few weeks from either Sven or Paul, most of my questions were answered within an hour or two. One time it was almost like a chat and my mails were answered within minuts. I know some ppl have negative experiences, but I had the best experience ever buying new gear:)

msalamon
08-03-2011, 05:13 AM
The Bastcore 20's are the best rackets I have used second only to Vantage custom rackets who build the Bastcore. I have two matched for sale only because at 63 I am playing GCTA matches for 3 hours in 92 degree heat. I need to move to a 10.5-11.oz racket. I only hope I can find anything near the feel and performance of these rackets. You are right as far as the flex is concerned, no one who hits with them thinks they hit like the low RA number on them. Read my demo post in the Bastcore thread by Mehan.

do you have a post in the sale section?

big bang
08-03-2011, 06:01 AM
The BC30 has been my dream racquet. It does everything well and is super-comfortable (I have wrist and shoulder issues but NOT with this racquet). The handle is a neutral Dunlop shape but they will change the grip for you for another $40 (The option is listed in their "accessories section" - I changed mine to the Head shape, which I prefer).
Thats great, I thought the BC line had a molded handle, hopefully I can live with the dunlop shape. Had I known I would have ordered them with wilson handle, but for some reason I thought it was only available in the custom line.

Meaghan
08-03-2011, 06:02 AM
I boosted my bc20 s with lead from 9 right around to 3. Also 20g above my hand under grip. Ive also extended it half an inch. Its now 370 static with 360 sw. Swings real easy and packs a lot of punch.

Needs a bit of tinkering with and if you get the right strings to suit then thers nothing better.

I've had a tinker with a frame or two of late in a racketaholic kinda way but nothing compares.

Enjoy :)

Meaghan
08-03-2011, 06:04 AM
Thats great, I thought the BC line had a molded handle, hopefully I can live with the dunlop shape. Had I known I would have ordered them with wilson handle, but for some reason I thought it was only available in the custom line.

No...pallets....I got some from paul and changed grip size and it helped with my extension....

msalamon
08-03-2011, 06:06 AM
is the BC 20 too heavy?

msalamon
08-03-2011, 06:09 AM
I havent heard anyone ever say anything bad about Vantage

mad dog1
08-03-2011, 06:26 AM
is the BC 20 too heavy?

not at all.

big bang
08-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Thats quite true, pretty amazing actually.
The only thing I ever heard was someone who wasnt satisfied with their customer service but thats all. I felt as I got the royal treatment from Sven and Paul, so I cant say anything negative at all.

Meaghan
08-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Ok guys havent heard anyone talk about the BastCore´s lately, how many is using them around here?, and whats your setup?.

Im expecting 4 BC20´s in a few days and got a pretty good feeling about them, specs is close to perfect for me, only thing I will do to begin with is to add a leather grip and perhaps a few grams of lead at 3 and 9.

specs:
Headsize 95
String Pattern 16 x 19
Strung Weight 335g
Strung Balance 310mm
Stiffness 49RA
Swing Weight 310
Power Rating 62/10

Note: these are strung specs!

With the leather grip I expect to add around 10 grams (have to weight the original first of course). I will start with 5 grams of lead at 3 and 9 as I like very headlight racquets. If my assumptions are correct I should end up with a frame just around 330 grams unstrung and lower the balancepoint of course.
I will test different polys like alu power, silver string and volkl cyclone in the range 50-55 lbs.

Please share your experience/oppinion on the BastCore line thanks:)

A lot of info here BB......http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=367961

scotus
08-03-2011, 12:56 PM

Well, I own 2 customs and 4 bastcores.

I will say this much. Their customer service was excellent leading up to my purchase. I haven't needed any warranty service yet, so I don't know anything about how the post-purchase service is.

About the racquet quality, I was not all that impressed with the arm-friendliness of the 63RA custom racquets (95 inch). Having heard so much about the quality of the frame and the solid feel of the foam-core, all graphite racquets, I took a chance, but the shock and vibration coming from these racquets are not good for me. But I should remind you that I have a sensitive arm from tennis elbow from a few years ago, so I am constantly in search of the most comfortable racquet.

The Bastcore 20 was a vast improvement in terms of arm comfort. However, even this isn't in the top echelon of the comfort frames. For some reason, I feel a lot of shock coming down my arm, especially when the frame "recoils". But for those with no arm problems, this would be a very comfortable frame.

For those of you searching for the most comfortable frames, I recommend that you test-drive the Prince EXO3 Tour, Volkl PB10 Mid, and for those who need a bit more power along with comfort, go for ProKennex 5G & 7G.

big bang
08-03-2011, 01:02 PM
A lot of info here BB......http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=367961
Thanks its a great thread, I read it twice before:)

scotus
08-03-2011, 01:11 PM
is the BC 20 too heavy?

That's a personal question.

I think it is almost 12 oz stock, strung.

My frames are 13 oz each.

big bang
08-03-2011, 01:13 PM
So are you using BC20 now scotus?

scotus
08-03-2011, 01:28 PM
So are you using BC20 now scotus?

Yes, still testing out various strings.

I also use other frames. I have acquired way too many.

big bang
08-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Yes, still testing out various strings.

I also use other frames. I have acquired way too many.
Ahh I see, been there before:)

big bang
08-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Got my new Vantage gear today, very quick shipping I must say only 2 days from US to Denmark:).

Heres what I received:
1 team 9 bag.
4 BC20.
5 sets of 95" grommets.
2 Vantage t-shirts.
4 black leather grips.
6 packs of white overgrip.
1 Custom 95", 63 RA frame.
4 Vantage dampeners.

First thing I did was to call my buddy and make reservations for a few hours this evening.
Then I started to string, the black custom I strung with volkl cyclone at 52 lbs (this beauty looks so awesome with black poly, if Lord Vader played tennis this would be his weapon of choice!). Put on a white OG and it was ready.

Next I did one of the BC20´s with alu power at 54 lbs (I allways string flexy frames a bit tighter). Cant say I like the pj, but it looked ok with a full bed of alu power. Another white OG and done. I wanted to apply the 4 black leather grips on the 4 BC20´s but a few friends had interrupted me as they came to visit.

So later I was on my way to the courts with one custom 95" and one BC20 that was pretty far from my ideal specs, but ok had to hit with both today!.

First I pulled out the custom because its close to what I normaly use.. It was actually, it played pretty much like a super comfortable PSC with a flex like my TGK but in a nicer more solid way. No problem at all with the full bed of cyclone and I normaly use vs/alu power hybrid these days. I knew right away that this would be a good frame for me.. But that BC thing in my bag had been on my mind for a while now so after 20 min or so I changed to the BC20.

It felt very light compared to the 330g custom and I totally overhit the first 2 strokes, had to slow my swing down to control it. The feel from this baby is just mad, even though the weigt was off resulting in bad timing, I kept the ball in court and clean strokes came with massive power and spin. My buddy said that I hit a different and very annoying spin with it. Slices and droppers was extremely effective!. Later I took my leadtape out and put on 5g at 3&9, that helped a lot but still I need to give it some more before next time I play. Serves were great and very powerfull, I really felt the flexy "whip action", just crushing the ball with an amazing sound. I have to test this frame a lot more the next few weeks, it could be the holy grail once its beefed up.

Meaghan
08-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Got my new Vantage gear today, very quick shipping I must say only 2 days from US to Denmark:).

Heres what I received:
1 team 9 bag.
4 BC20.
5 sets of 95" grommets.
2 Vantage t-shirts.
4 black leather grips.
6 packs of white overgrip.
1 Custom 95", 63 RA frame.
4 Vantage dampeners.

First thing I did was to call my buddy and make reservations for a few hours this evening.
Then I started to string, the black custom I strung with volkl cyclone at 52 lbs (this beauty looks so awesome with black poly, if Lord Vader played tennis this would be his weapon of choice!). Put on a white OG and it was ready.

Next I did one of the BC20´s with alu power at 54 lbs (I allways string flexy frames a bit tighter). Cant say I like the pj, but it looked ok with a full bed of alu power. Another white OG and done. I wanted to apply the 4 black leather grips on the 4 BC20´s but a few friends had interrupted me as they came to visit.

So later I was on my way to the courts with one custom 95" and one BC20 that was pretty far from my ideal specs, but ok had to hit with both today!.

First I pulled out the custom because its close to what I normaly use.. It was actually, it played pretty much like a super comfortable PSC with a flex like my TGK but in a nicer more solid way. No problem at all with the full bed of cyclone and I normaly use vs/alu power hybrid these days. I knew right away that this would be a good frame for me.. But that BC thing in my bag had been on my mind for a while now so after 20 min or so I changed to the BC20.

It felt very light compared to the 330g custom and I totally overhit the first 2 strokes, had to slow my swing down to control it. The feel from this baby is just mad, even though the weigt was off resulting in bad timing, I kept the ball in court and clean strokes came with massive power and spin. My buddy said that I hit a different and very annoying spin with it. Slices and droppers was extremely effective!. Later I took my leadtape out and put on 5g at 3&9, that helped a lot but still I need to give it some more before next time I play. Serves were great and very powerfull, I really felt the flexy "whip action", just crushing the ball with an amazing sound. I have to test this frame a lot more the next few weeks, it could be the holy grail once its beefed up.
All sounds like my experience....the custom vt is a great frame I found it very similar to the ps classic but in a softer body.
The bc 20 when modded up plays similar but with greater spin and power. Its a truly great racket but it is a base for modification. Once you find the right balance and spec you'll be away. Talking to paul a while back I'm sure there will be further iterations to perfect his baby, I really like the chrome I hope he or the designers just simplify the decals and do away with the coloured flares.

My spec below feels superb and plays extremely well......I've tried a few variations but like this one the best. The lighter version is close, heavier leather without the added handle weight and a little less weight at 12 to keep the balance.

Keep us informed of what you do

big bang
08-05-2011, 07:48 AM
All sounds like my experience....the custom vt is a great frame I found it very similar to the ps classic but in a softer body.
The bc 20 when modded up plays similar but with greater spin and power. Its a truly great racket but it is a base for modification. Once you find the right balance and spec you'll be away. Talking to paul a while back I'm sure there will be further iterations to perfect his baby, I really like the chrome I hope he or the designers just simplify the decals and do away with the coloured flares.

My spec below feels superb and plays extremely well......I've tried a few variations but like this one the best. The lighter version is close, heavier leather without the added handle weight and a little less weight at 12 to keep the balance.

Keep us informed of what you do

Thanks I will:)
I was very impressed with the performance of the BC20, cant wait to test it with the right setup. Cant remember how much lead you use on yours?

proracketeer
08-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Any one else interested in a BC10?

Meaghan
08-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Thanks I will:)
I was very impressed with the performance of the BC20, cant wait to test it with the right setup. Cant remember how much lead you use on yours?

on average it was around 4g from 10-2 thro 12 and leather and og but i recently lost the leather for the lighter bast core grip added 20g above my hand spaced out from top of handle and added a couple more gramms in hoop to balance....which give me my sig spec......i have also lengthened the racket to 70cm.

Hit with the kps88 for a couple of weeks in practise and when i returned to match practise yesterday i was walloping my bc20 serves down like i had the weight of a radical! Actually my 88 weighs less than my 20 but the balance was more even so that and its stiffness had an affect on making my bc20 feel like a feather.

big bang
08-08-2011, 01:20 AM
Any one else interested in a BC10?
BC10??:shock:

on average it was around 4g from 10-2 thro 12 and leather and og but i recently lost the leather for the lighter bast core grip added 20g above my hand spaced out from top of handle and added a couple more gramms in hoop to balance....which give me my sig spec......i have also lengthened the racket to 70cm.

Hit with the kps88 for a couple of weeks in practise and when i returned to match practise yesterday i was walloping my bc20 serves down like i had the weight of a radical! Actually my 88 weighs less than my 20 but the balance was more even so that and its stiffness had an affect on making my bc20 feel like a feather.
Great thanks again:)
I changed to black vantage leather, 3g at 3&9 and 2g at 10&2. Hopefully I will be able to test it tomorrow if my shoulder is better, its been hurting since a workout I had a few days ago.

martin
08-08-2011, 03:31 AM
I thought that TW would sell the bastcore rackets but i haven't heard anything about it anymore. Will this still happen??

Meaghan
08-08-2011, 03:45 AM
I thought that TW would sell the bastcore rackets but i haven't heard anything about it anymore. Will this still happen??

I think they took ages deciding and paul had other things to consider so not in the near future I wouldn't expect. Pity.....

Meaghan
08-08-2011, 03:46 AM
I think what pro racketeer means by bc10 is a 90“ racket.

proracketeer
08-08-2011, 07:12 AM
I think what pro racketeer means by bc10 is a 90“ racket.

correct. that would be nice.