PDA

View Full Version : Which are more desirable specs?

CDestroyer
08-02-2011, 12:29 PM
330 grams 3 points headlight 345 swingweight

350 grams 5.5 points headlight 365 swingweight

Just curious. Thanks for your reply. I was able to get the lower swingweight by removing the leather grip and regripping with two overgrips on the bare handle.

The higher swingweight is manageable...............................barely.

Power Player
08-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Only you can answer that really.

I personally prefer the latter. Even though it is heavier. the balance is better and I like high SWs.

CDestroyer
08-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks PP. But you would go with the lower sw if you played better over the course of a 3 setter right?

TheBoom
08-02-2011, 12:40 PM
The second one for ms because I love the feel of +12 oz rackets

Power Player
08-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks PP. But you would go with the lower sw if you played better over the course of a 3 setter right?

Yeah, for sure..I got lucky with mine..it is around 355-360SW, but my stick weighs 12.2 and the balance is still 6pts HL.

I really think the balance is key.

You will know if you like the new balance after a week or so..it just feels like you are naturally in the slot and hitting consistent when it is right for your swing.

tennis-kid
08-02-2011, 12:43 PM

Just curious. Thanks for your reply. I was able to get the lower swingweight by removing the leather grip and regripping with two overgrips on the bare handle.

I wonder how you can make the racquet more head light and more sw. To increase SW, we have to add more weight on somewhere in head which will make balance point to head heavy.

tennis-kid
08-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I wonder how you can make the racquet more head light and more sw. To increase SW, we have to add more weight on somewhere in head which will make balance point to head heavy.

I mean balance point will be moved to less head light

TheBoom
08-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I agree with power player about balance. If it's heavy but hl then it may not feel as heavy statically but keeps the characteristics that heavy rackets have just being easier or harder to swing

Orion3
08-02-2011, 01:07 PM
To make the racket more "head light' you need to add weight to the bottom of the racket. Some lead tape on the base, under an over-grip or even just above the groping (on the throat) will work.
Conversely, lead tape on the frame at 12 o'clock, or at 9 & 3 o'clock will make the head heavy and can add stability.

cellofaan
08-02-2011, 11:53 PM

Removing the leather grip shouldn't have such a big impact on sw. How did you measure it?

fuzz nation
08-03-2011, 08:35 AM
I mean balance point will be moved to less head light

Adding lead tape to the handle, maybe under the replacement grip or the over-grip, will make the frame more head-light in balance. Even though it adds extra weight to the racquet, it can also significantly alter the balance along with the frame's swing behavior and maneuvering.

CDestroyer
08-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Removing the leather grip shouldn't have such a big impact on sw. How did you measure it?

I weighed the top of the racquet while it was supported on the other side then weighed the bottom of the racquet while supported, then added both numbers together to get the swingweight.

cellofaan
08-03-2011, 10:14 AM
I weighed the top of the racquet while it was supported on the other side then weighed the bottom of the racquet while supported, then added both numbers together to get the swingweight.
Well, that's actually not swingweight. :)

ATP100
08-03-2011, 10:52 AM
If numbers are correct, the second one is better for your arm.

CDestroyer
08-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Well, that's actually not swingweight. :)

Yes it is. A Stringway employee gave me the instructions on how to calculate sw this way.

cellofaan
08-03-2011, 11:35 AM
It can't be.
Swingweight is measured in kg*cm^2.
You're adding grams to grams, so the end result is in grams, which is not kg*cm^2

spaceman_spiff
08-04-2011, 05:05 AM
But you would go with the lower sw if you played better over the course of a 3 setter right?

Just a side note, not trying to highjack the thread.

If a racket is light enough for you to play well for one set, then it should be fine for you to play three. If you're ok in the beginning but struggling in the second or third set, then the problem is your fitness, especially your legs.

If the racket's weight was the problem, it would manifest itself from the very beginning.

CDestroyer
08-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Just a side note, not trying to highjack the thread.

If a racket is light enough for you to play well for one set, then it should be fine for you to play three. If you're ok in the beginning but struggling in the second or third set, then the problem is your fitness, especially your legs.

If the racket's weight was the problem, it would manifest itself from the very beginning.

Good point, definitely need to work on fitness. Sprints help my tennis movement more than anything.