PDA

View Full Version : iRadical replacement - help please

Orion3
08-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Ive been playing with a couple of iRadical OS for a good few years now and they are nearing the end of their useful lives so I'm looking to replace them.

Is there anything out the currently or recently (that I could still pick up) that would have a similar feel. The iRadical was pretty much perfect for me, although I hated and still don't like the colour scheme. Weight, feel and balance are great. Considering I grew up on wood, graduating to Max 200g's, POG's before finding the twin-tube Radical...the iRadical was quite a different beast, but I've loved playing with it more than any other racket.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

wao
08-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Ive been playing with a couple of iRadical OS for a good few years now and they are nearing the end of their useful lives so I'm looking to replace them.

Is there anything out the currently or recently (that I could still pick up) that would have a similar feel. The iRadical was pretty much perfect for me, although I hated and still don't like the colour scheme. Weight, feel and balance are great. Considering I grew up on wood, graduating to Max 200g's, POG's before finding the twin-tube Radical...the iRadical was quite a different beast, but I've loved playing with it more than any other racket.

Any advice would be much appreciated.You can still fine some Microgel Rad's out there at a good price or even the youtek Rad if you like an OS (107) hit well. The IG Speed 315 either 18x20 or 16x19 (100) plays extremely good imo though finding the right string combo is time consuming. The best thing to do is demo some if you have the opportunity and make your decision. I am more prone to Head sticks as I like there grip and can not get use to the more rounded grips of Prince/Wilson.

hrstrat57
08-02-2011, 04:16 PM
I see new old stock i Radical OS on the big auction site from time to time....don't change, just be patient.

Also keep an i on the for sale/trade forum here......

Good luck.

Down_the_line
08-02-2011, 08:46 PM
I am by no means an expert so take this advice with a grain of salt. I would just go out and get a couple Youtek Radical OS's, which are the current line of Radicals from Head.

Like wao mentioned above, the Youtek IG Speed MP is also a good choice. I was a long time Radical user (Ti. Radical OS, then Flexpoint Radical OS for the longest time) before switching to the new line of Speed rackets. They're not as forgiving but all in all they feel pretty similar to the Radicals.

Again, I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff but that's my 2 cents.

roundiesee
08-02-2011, 11:04 PM
I agree with most posters about trying to get some "old" i-Rads; personally the i-Rads (and the i-Prestiges) are superb rackets which are hard to duplicate; I do not think that the YouTek Radical is similar at all (but they are nonetheless good rackets, just different from the i-series). Plus the older i-series were all made in Austria if I'm not wrong.

Orion3
08-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Looking around at 'new' sticks I came across the new Prince Rebel 105. On paper at least the specs (weight, swing weight, cross section etc) seem very similar.

Anybody hit one?

hrstrat57
08-03-2011, 03:12 AM
I agree with most posters about trying to get some "old" i-Rads; personally the i-Rads (and the i-Prestiges) are superb rackets which are hard to duplicate; I do not think that the YouTek Radical is similar at all (but they are nonetheless good rackets, just different from the i-series). Plus the older i-series were all made in Austria if I'm not wrong.

The L4 were Chinese, the L5 only were Austrian - I believe those are very rare tho there is one up on the big auction site at the moment......

toedragger
08-03-2011, 06:05 AM
The L4 were Chinese, the L5 only were Austrian - I believe those are very rare tho there is one up on the big auction site at the moment......
Not all L4 were Chinese. My i.rad is L4, and clearly marked as Austrian origin. Plays great - I love it too.

If I'm not mistaken, the earlier L5 models were 'all' Austrian, but had slightly different contruction/material. Some of which had breakage issues in the throat. Possibly the reason for the change on that model.

EKnee08
08-03-2011, 08:48 AM

No advice,but I feel your pain. I loved that series. Played with the irad mp until rotator cuff tear and repair then for awhile played with iRadical OS before switching to the Liquidmetal OS and eventually transitioning back to MP.

I donated the my I Radical MPs and OSs years ago to an underprivledged kids program. Played the best of my life with the Irad MPs. Wish I still had them but at least they went to good use!

heftylefty
08-03-2011, 10:24 AM
I donated the my I Radical MPs and OSs years ago to an underprivledged kids program. Played the best of my life with the Irad MPs. Wish I still had them but at least they went to good use!

You are a stud!!! Way to spread the love!

I too used to play with iRads MP and reget trying to "upgrade".

hrstrat57
08-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Not all L4 were Chinese. My i.rad is L4, and clearly marked as Austrian origin. Plays great - I love it too.

If I'm not mistaken, the earlier L5 models were 'all' Austrian, but had slightly different contruction/material. Some of which had breakage issues in the throat. Possibly the reason for the change on that model.

I only have MP's in the i Radical version, I have never seen a Chinese L4.....I have 3 i Radical MP's - 1 L4 China (nice) and 2 L5 Austria (amazing)

I would like to see pics of the L4 i Radical with clear Austrian markings, you have scooped me, I am unaware such a stick exists.

Does it have sticky or glossy paint?

Pics please.

mad dog1
08-03-2011, 02:32 PM

i have an iRad OS in 7/10 condition with a 4 1/2" grip that i never use. would be willing to part with it. if you're interested, let me know.

cnr1guy
08-04-2011, 05:44 AM
You can still fine some Microgel Rad's out there at a good price or even the youtek Rad if you like an OS (107) hit well. The IG Speed 315 either 18x20 or 16x19 (100) plays extremely good imo though finding the right string combo is time consuming. The best thing to do is demo some if you have the opportunity and make your decision. I am more prone to Head sticks as I like there grip and can not get use to the more rounded grips of Prince/Wilson.

I am by no means an expert so take this advice with a grain of salt. I would just go out and get a couple Youtek Radical OS's, which are the current line of Radicals from Head.

Like wao mentioned above, the Youtek IG Speed MP is also a good choice. I was a long time Radical user (Ti. Radical OS, then Flexpoint Radical OS for the longest time) before switching to the new line of Speed rackets. They're not as forgiving but all in all they feel pretty similar to the Radicals.

Again, I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff but that's my 2 cents.

I would agree with these guys that the Head IG Speed might be a decent replacement for you. If you're interested, I have a pair of like-new IG Speeds for sale in the 'For Sale' section of the boards.

toedragger
08-04-2011, 08:15 AM
I only have MP's in the i Radical version, I have never seen a Chinese L4.....I have 3 i Radical MP's - 1 L4 China (nice) and 2 L5 Austria (amazing)

I would like to see pics of the L4 i Radical with clear Austrian markings, you have scooped me, I am unaware such a stick exists.

Does it have sticky or glossy paint?

Pics please.
I'd post pics if I could, but this forum doesn't seem to have a method. My L4 isn't glossy, and it is't what I'd call 'sticky' (I know what you mean). It's a durable matte finish. There's a Made in Austria sticker on the buttcap which isn't all that uncommon really on these, that are of Austrian origin at least. Plays rather stiff, excellent control. I've added silicone, leather, and lead - so that changes the overall feel quite a bit from stock form which I never actually played with prior to my customizing.

But it's a sweet playing stick. Tension sensitive for sure since it's rather stiff.

Orion3
08-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the offers gents. I think I'm going to hit a few of the new(er) models and see if I like any of them before I decide what to do.

Appreciate your help

hrstrat57
08-04-2011, 01:15 PM
I'd post pics if I could, but this forum doesn't seem to have a method. My L4 isn't glossy, and it is't what I'd call 'sticky' (I know what you mean). It's a durable matte finish. There's a Made in Austria sticker on the buttcap which isn't all that uncommon really on these, that are of Austrian origin at least. Plays rather stiff, excellent control. I've added silicone, leather, and lead - so that changes the overall feel quite a bit from stock form which I never actually played with prior to my customizing.

But it's a sweet playing stick. Tension sensitive for sure since it's rather stiff.

I use Picasa web albums and it is very very easy.....I sure would like to see the frame.....L4 Austrian i Radical!!! - I am sure it is amazing!