PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the correct grip size?

Faithfulfather
08-02-2011, 03:47 PM
I have measured my hand like TW suggests and according to them I should be using a 4 1/2" grip. I have tried many different 4 1/2" grips but still prefer the 4 3/8" grip. Should I just adapt to the 4 1/2" grip?

How many of you use a different grip size other than the recommended grip size?

jmjmkim
08-02-2011, 03:49 PM
I use 3/8, 1/2, even up to a 5/8. I prefer 3/8 best. I think it is all a matter of preference. Go for the 3/8 if you like that best.

TimothyO
08-02-2011, 04:13 PM
When I first started playing last summer an "expert" at a local shop told me I should use a 3/8". Something about more spin potential. And I bought a light, stiff, HH noob racket. By Thanksgiving I couldn't lift a dinner plate.

I now use a heavier, soft, HL racquet with a 5/8" grip which, according to the TW site, is my proper size (I have large hands so 4-3/4" might even be appropriate). No pain!

So now I buy 4-5/8" racquets, add a Wilson Shock Shield replacement grip, and cover with a thin Babolat VS Original overgrip. According to "official" measurements this is my proper size and I must say my arm is very happy.

BobFL
08-02-2011, 04:21 PM
I have measured my hand like TW suggests and according to them I should be using a 4 1/2" grip. I have tried many different 4 1/2" grips but still prefer the 4 3/8" grip. Should I just adapt to the 4 1/2" grip?

Pretty much my situation :) My hand is exactly 4 1/2 but 4 3/8 plus og is just perfect for me. 4 1/2 feels huge and uncomfortable.

HiroProtagonist
08-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Pretty much my situation :) My hand is exactly 4 1/2 but 4 3/8 plus og is just perfect for me. 4 1/2 feels huge and uncomfortable.

Same here, except I like to put a 4 1/2 but cap on a 4 3/8 grip and then further build up the butt cap when wrapping my OG. I find it helps me keep a looser grip on the racquet while maintaining control.

FedFollow
08-02-2011, 04:45 PM
I also started with 4-1/2 with VS overgrip and now play 4-3/8 with Toura OG. I am 6'2" with long skinny fingers but 3/8 just feels better.

sepidoel
08-02-2011, 04:53 PM
I feel very comfortable with the recommended grip size, got a bit TE when I changed 1 size below before. Strangely I tried my dad's old racquet which was 1 size bigger and it also felt comfortable.

I kinda have a feeling that one with thick hand tends to have smaller grip. Some of my friends who have bigger hands and weight about 40% more than me feel comfortable with 1 size smaller than mine.

FedFollow
08-02-2011, 05:02 PM
I feel very comfortable with the recommended grip size, got a bit TE when I changed 1 size below before. Strangely I tried my dad's old racquet which was 1 size bigger and it also felt comfortable.

I kinda have a feeling that one with thick hand tends to have smaller grip. Some of my friends who have bigger hands and weight about 40% more than me feel comfortable with 1 size smaller than mine.

Funny you should mention TE because I have a minor case that's getting better with Flexbar exercises. Hope it's because of the poly and not grip size. Getting ready to swith to Pacific gut so we'll see. Probably more of a technique issue.

6-2/6-4/6-0
08-02-2011, 06:29 PM
When I was younger I used 3/8 with a prince overgrip. Now I use 1/2 with no overgrip.

dozu
08-02-2011, 07:01 PM
measurements are useless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGrmHocmjM

starting at 7:00, on how to pick a grip size.. makes perfect sense, the grip size you can squeeze the hardest, will allow you to relax the most during play.

Ben Hadd
08-02-2011, 07:09 PM
My size should be 4 3/4 but I prefer 4 5/8.

TimothyO
08-02-2011, 07:35 PM
measurements are useless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGrmHocmjM

starting at 7:00, on how to pick a grip size.. makes perfect sense, the grip size you can squeeze the hardest, will allow you to relax the most during play.

That's how you hurt yourself. Too small and you NEED to squeeze to maintain a grip. Too large and you're fighting back against the handle. The perfect size allows a firm but relaxed grip that doesn't put (require) strain on the wrist/forearm.

Measurements are not useless in that they provide a reference point. But I agree that it's not as clear cut as experts and even the TW site suggest. As with so much in tennis the best approach is to use specs as a reference and then adjust based on actual court experience.

TaihtDuhShaat
08-02-2011, 07:38 PM
My hand measures between 4 1/4" and 4 3/8", but I use a 4 1/8" Head wilson shaped pallet from the speed line (a little fuller than a regular 4 1/8"). I like it because it fits right in my palm on serves, and I can grip it nice and loosely on forehands. I sometimes wish I had a bigger grip for my 2hbh and volleys though.

Anton
08-02-2011, 09:13 PM

No.

Usually the more western you go the smaller grip you like.

ssonosk
08-02-2011, 10:10 PM
I use a 4 3/8 with a Wilson replacement grip and a Tourna over grip. 4 1/2 doesn't feel bad for me though

smashs
08-02-2011, 11:43 PM

Best way to use right size grip that match you in the game,

I can use 4 1/2, 4 5/8 but I prefer use little smaller grip and wrap with comfort overgrip, in my case I use 4 1/2.

tata
08-03-2011, 01:13 AM
I always felt using half a size smaller gives the best in terms of fit and 'spin/racquet head speed/whip'. I use a 5/8 but before i palyed with an OG on top. Though the OG made it fit well, i felt losing it gave me more whip

tennis-kid
08-03-2011, 01:20 AM
When I first started playing last summer an "expert" at a local shop told me I should use a 3/8". Something about more spin potential. And I bought a light, stiff, HH noob racket. By Thanksgiving I couldn't lift a dinner plate.

lol I totally understand. I was in that situation. I couldn't twist the cap of a coke

Mig1NC
08-03-2011, 02:37 AM
I measure between 4 3/8 and 4 1/2. Theoretically I should be using a 4 3/8 plus an OG to get to my correct size.

But lately I've been liking the larger sizes better. Even 4 1/2 plus an OG.

My forehand and backhand are semi-western (2hbh).

wrxinsc
08-03-2011, 03:44 AM
measures 4-1/2" but prefer 4-3/8" plus OG also.

seb23
08-03-2011, 06:23 AM
I think you have to go what's comfortable for you and suits your game. I use a 4 3/8. Any bigger and I can't get the same spin and any smaller and its not quite as comfortable. If I had to chose. Etween going bigger or smaller it would be smaller as i can get much better wip that way

Faithfulfather
08-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I am going to try to adapt and overcome. I can always use a rasp to make it smaller or get a laserfiber gip reducer. I have a TW leather grip in 1.3mm that I am going to moisten/heat to stretch it and make it even thinner.

LeeD
08-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Measured size 4 5/8, use that size with one overgrip.
But I play net more than baseline, have more traditional strokes, western grip, and find smaller grips need more aggressive swings, which aren't ideal at net or blocking fast serves back.
Haven't played tons of different players recently, but I have the fastest serve of anyone who plays with 1/2 or smaller. Some guys with 5/8th or bigger just clock the ball unreal, but they were top college singles players....and over 6'4".

FuriousYellow
08-03-2011, 04:36 PM
I wonder how long that method for measuring grip size has been around. Is there any reason why a finger's width spacing is optimal?

I've been using a grip size 3 with SWFH for years even though I'm measured for size 4 and have never had a problem gripping the racquet or keeping it stable at net.

LeeD
08-03-2011, 05:10 PM
3/8 to 4/8 is one grip size difference.
I have no problems volleying against my peers. It's the harder hitting better guys who use lots of spin and stretch me that I start to mishit, so that's the reason for the bigger grip.
+, I use a lightweight racket, and the bigger grip allows me to mishit less severely, so the ball still goes in.
I know I don't have great rackethead speed, so volleying ability more than makes up for groundstroking prowess.

CycloneSh0t
08-03-2011, 08:46 PM

i previously used a 4 1/4 roddick cortex but i'm suppose to be 4 3/8. NOW i use a 4 1/8 on my pure drive team. it twists a bit when returning hard serves, both otherwise feels great, feels more whippy then my roddick

Fuji
08-03-2011, 09:27 PM
I use 4 1/2 and that's exactly what my hand measures to, although I've recently changed to using a leather grip with an tourna grip on most of my sticks, the Leather shrinks it a bit, and then the Tourna brings it back up! :)

I used to use 4 3/8, but it is SO SMALL! I got really bad golf elbow from using a grip too small, because on serving I had to grip so tightly to not throw my stick. So I stepped up to proper size and it's great!

-Fuji

BreakPoint
08-04-2011, 12:43 AM
I wonder how long that method for measuring grip size has been around. Is there any reason why a finger's width spacing is optimal?

I've been using a grip size 3 with SWFH for years even though I'm measured for size 4 and have never had a problem gripping the racquet or keeping it stable at net.
But just because you don't have a problem with using a smaller grip than your proper grip size does not mean that it's optimal.

FedExpress 333
08-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Yes, I use my exact grip size (4 3/8)