PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on me trying to choose between these two racquets?

Brett
08-02-2011, 03:45 PM
I am 24, been playing for 12 years now. Over this time I have mainly use ProKennex racquets with the latest one being a ProKennex Ionic Ki 5. The past five years I have been using a Avery M3 Control Midplus.

I keep switching between the two because my game appears to be in shambles. The ProKennex is strung with a Pacific Synthetic Gut strung at about midplus tension and the Avery is strung with the Wilson's Champion's Choice which is a hybrid at a little lower tension on both strings.

My question is, which one should I be hitting with to get more control and get back to basics? Or is there even one? Should I just get a new racquet or is it in my head and neither racquet will make a difference?

Just very frustrating. Thanks!

Iron57
08-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Let me know if you come up with an answer. I identify with your frustration. How do you know when it's the right racquet?

I am in between racquets as well. One a more powerful tweener, and one a tour model (O3 Hybrid Hornet, O3 Tour). Do I string the tour model loose for more power, or the tweener tight for more control? And with which strings? Will it even matter? Last I checked the racquet wasn't responsible for my poor shot selection or lazy footwork. To make it more confusing, there are matches when it all clicked -- with both racquets.

The back and forth is almost too much to bear, and the possibilities are endless. Hopefully a gear junkie will chime in on this thread. Of course judging by some racquet collections displayed on this forum, that may be a dangerous request.

dozu
08-02-2011, 06:07 PM
sounds like a technique problem, not an equipment problem. it's easy to blame the racket when you play like crap...

fix the technique first, so that your shots have a pattern - consistently short, or long, or too much/too little spin, THEN adjust the equipment.

if you spray all over the place, no racket can save you.

Avadia
08-02-2011, 06:46 PM
What is it about your current racquets that you like or dislike? What problems are you experiencing in your game? What type of game do you have? There are endless combinations of weight, balance, stiffness, head size, string pattern, and swing weight. You need to figure out which combination of all of those factors favors your style of play. The TW demo program is a great way to accomplish that.

levy1
08-02-2011, 07:11 PM
I am 24, been playing for 12 years now. Over this time I have mainly use ProKennex racquets with the latest one being a ProKennex Ionic Ki 5. The past five years I have been using a Avery M3 Control Midplus.

I keep switching between the two because my game appears to be in shambles. The ProKennex is strung with a Pacific Synthetic Gut strung at about midplus tension and the Avery is strung with the Wilson's Champion's Choice which is a hybrid at a little lower tension on both strings.

My question is, which one should I be hitting with to get more control and get back to basics? Or is there even one? Should I just get a new racquet or is it in my head and neither racquet will make a difference?

Just very frustrating. Thanks!
Get some demos with the same specs and then you will know. Anybody can have bad technique but a new racket with a better feel is refreshing.

tennis-kid
08-03-2011, 12:26 AM
Get some demos with the same specs and then you will know. Anybody can have bad technique but a new racket with a better feel is refreshing.

I agree. Try some different racquets and you will find one you will really like.
I demoed several of them and I found one I like. It helps to improve techniques and games.

HeadMaster
08-03-2011, 03:35 PM
sounds like a technique problem, not an equipment problem. it's easy to blame the racket when you play like crap...

fix the technique first, so that your shots have a pattern - consistently short, or long, or too much/too little spin, THEN adjust the equipment.

if you spray all over the place, no racket can save you.

This is top notch advice!!!