PDA

View Full Version : YT Prestige MP vs. BM200

dadozen
08-03-2011, 06:14 AM
Due to some quality problems, I'm moving from the BM200 to the YT Prestige MP( too bad it's still not on sale ) because from what I remember from the MG Prestige MP I tested a while ago, the performance would be similar.

But for you who have tried both, which are the main differences?

As a side note, what I liked about the BM200 was the low power, spin was easily acessible, and control was great. I hope I can get the same from the YT Prestige MP( which will be sent with matched specs by the seller ).

thanks in advance!

Lavs
08-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Can you specify what quality problem? As I know Dunlop has great QC

dadozen
08-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Lavs, I'm not sure if I was so unlucky, but I bought 6(!!!) BM200s, and the weights were( no grip and unstrung ):

302g
304g
304g
308g
309g
312g

Also, the balance on all racquets were similar, which means totally different SW from the lightest to the heaviest. I don't have equipment to measure that, but different weight, same balance mean different SW.

Besides that, there were some differences on the handle shape, which I could feel while playing.

I was also a Dunlop fan because of it's QC, but I'm very dissapointed after this. I know Head doesn't have a great QC either, but at least I paid for racquet matching work - and I was very angry with the handle shape differences. I mean, I could get another BM200 with the same weight, but if it came with the same handle shape difference, it wouldn't work either way.

Call me crictical, but I'm not alone:)

NOTE: I have had 8 4D300Tours and 7 4D100s. All of them had very similar specs( like 2g apart from the lightest to the heaviest, with the same balance ). If this isn't the case of bad luck, Dunlop might have dropped the QC level on the BM line

Lavs
08-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Hmm..
That's sad.
I have 2 absolutely identical 4D 300 Tour (pro stock, Melzer alike version). They are 320g both (unstrung). Appart from that I had heard plenty of positive feedback about Dunlop racket's quality.
What you did say makes me really curious about current situation with BM. I was really up and down prior to buying 4D300T - was about to buy BM200 instead.
Nevertheless I do think it is just matter of luck... Really feel for you :(
BTW - Why your BM200 lightest stick is only 302g?? By specs it is 337. Even considering grip (~10g) + Strings (15g) - 327g. 10g is huge...
Did you buy the rackets from TW?

Lavs
08-03-2011, 02:02 PM
If you are about to switch from BM200 - why not to go for 4D300Tour - it is really cheap now + unbelievable feel. I am not sure if you don't run into the same proble with YTMP

dadozen
08-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Lavs, I've weighed everything on my BM200s and the list shows:

strings - 16g
original grip - 14g
rubber band ring - 2g

So that pretty much closes the math.

I have played with the 4D300Tour before, and it was a great racquet, but I just needed something more demanding at the time - I went to the 4D100s. Since Iad never played with a mid racquet before, I ended up changing a lot of thing on my game, so I decided to come back to a 95" player's racquet. That's why I decided for the BM200. But my bad luck made me choose a similar racquet from another brand -Prestige MP.

I hope I can be satisfied with it...

thelastfurlong
08-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi, not trying to be a smart ar** but just wondering why you need 6 racquets in the first place? Obviously the more you have the greater the probability of a larger range in specs. If you do like the dunlops why not just pick the two or three closest in specs and use them?

Timbo's hopeless slice
08-03-2011, 04:10 PM
A lot of guys I know have 6 sticks (or more)

I don't, I find three is plenty for me, but I can see why someone might want more. (I string all mine the same and just deal with it, but it might be nice to have 3 pairs at different tensions for different weather/court surfaces/day/night or whatever)

OldButGame
08-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Just my 2 cents,..and everyones different,....but i havent been too crazy about my YTK Prestige MP,.....
...But I DO really love all my Dunlop sticks,...AG200, 4D300Tour, and BM300 Tour.

el sergento
08-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Just my 2 cents,..and everyones different,....but i havent been too crazy about my YTK Prestige MP,.....
...But I DO really love all my Dunlop sticks,...AG200, 4D300Tour, and BM300 Tour.

Same here. It's an average racquet stock, but it's so light and has such a low SW that it begs to be modified. You can pretty much do whatever you want with a YT PMP without going over 12.5 oz in static weight.

Best platform for customization imo.

Fuji
08-03-2011, 08:32 PM
I didn't care for the MP myself, but I can for sure see it's appeal. I went to the mid instead, and I enjoyed it a lot more! :)

-Fuji

un6a
08-04-2011, 01:55 AM
I do not have Bio200, but i can make comparison vs modified 4D 300 tour.
My 300 Tour is modified to match static weight and balance of the stock prestige (6g at 3&9, 9g at handle)

- Both racquets have very good control, but prestige is more precise.
- Prestige feels more solid and have better plow. I tried many lead setups on my 300 Tour, but could not reproduce solid feel of prestige while maintaining same weight and balance. Weight distribution on Prestige is just genius. Very manuverable with superfast head speed, but still with decent stability and plow.
- Prestige have a bit less power with the same string at same tension installed
- Prestige plays stiffer than 300 Tour
- Prestige have smaller sweetspot and it is slightly more demanding

Serve: I prefer Prestige. 300 Tour have more power, but i'm more consistent with Prestige.
Volleys: I prefer 300 Tour - bigger sweetspot and better touch & feel.
ForeHand: I prefer Prestige - better control.
2HBH: I prefer 300 Tour - more spin and ball pocketing works better for my BH.

At 1st i had strung my prestige with SP Hyperion at 55/53 lbs. Feel was boardy and power was low. Now i have it strung at 53/51 and it is much better, but
i think 51/49 would be even better. Pattern is pretty dense so lower tension is way to go in order to get good power, spin and ball pocketing.

dr325i
08-04-2011, 02:58 AM
Lavs, I'm not sure if I was so unlucky, but I bought 6(!!!) BM200s, and the weights were( no grip and unstrung ):

302g
304g
304g
308g
309g
312g

Most of the manufacturers (Wilson, Dunlop, TF, Head) have a certain margin when producing sticks and is usuallu +/- 7-10g.
Looks like ALL of your sticks are somewhere within the margin assumng that the posted unstrung weight on it is 320g (306g without a 14g grip).

dadozen
08-04-2011, 04:31 AM
Thanks to all of you guys. It was very helpful.

Actually, I tested the Prestige Mid last year, and I liked its performance, but I decided to stick with the 4D100s at the time. It was too demanding and didn't fit my game well, so that's I decided to go with the MP now. Also, since the specs are very similar, the overall performance shouldn't be so different.

Having said that, it's funny that so many of you felt so many differences between these 2 models. I mean, weight is the same, balance is almost the same( 6 vs. 7 pts. HL ), SW is close( 318 vs. 322 ), head size is the same, string pattern is the same. I'm surprised that the difference in stability can be that huge, the two being so close. I'd understand if there was a 10 pts. difference in SW, but 4pts. isn't that far. Good thing is that, as you say, we have lead tape and I could always give it a little boost, although I'd like to play it stock - you know, as gear lovers we are, once we start modifying, we keep thiking if there's a way to make it even better:)

un6a, your comparison also helped me a lot! I actually played a fair amount of time with the 4D300Tour( stock and leaded with 3g @ 3&9 ), so knowing hot the 4D300Tours plays, the differences you mentioned actually made me happy. It's just everything the 4D300Tous lacked when I had them.

Also, I would be happy with 4 BM200s. Heck, 3 BM200s would be enough. I first bought a pair, then decided to get another pair because I liked it very much. But given the fact that Dunlop had a great QC, I thought I could sell the second pair and get another one much more similar to the first one. So I sold them but the third pair wasn't similar at all. One racquet was close to the first 2, and I could keep playing with 3, but this racquet had bizarre handle shape difference. And that made me especially disappointed.

One thing that I was sure I was going to lose is exactly the unique feel of the Dunlops. I'm used to that, I love that, but I think I can also get used to the Prestige feel after a while. At least I know it's a classic feel too.

So, again, thanks to all of you! I hope I can play well with these sticks, and, most important of all, have fun!

dadozen
08-04-2011, 04:35 AM
Most of the manufacturers (Wilson, Dunlop, TF, Head) have a certain margin when producing sticks and is usuallu +/- 7-10g.
Looks like ALL of your sticks are somewhere within the margin assumng that the posted unstrung weight on it is 320g (306g without a 14g grip).

I'm aware of that. I work on the automotive industry so I'm used to deal with tolerances and stuff.

If the problem was only the weight, I could have kept the 3 most similar or even match all of them by myself.

The biggest problem, as you can read on all my posts here, was the handle shape difference. I could see that and could also feel that while playing. Don't you think tennis players already have a lot in mind during play to bother about the handle shape?

Of course, it's something that could be fixed as well, but it would demand a lot of work and even then, the work( done by myself or any other ) wouldn't have a 100% chance of getting them right.

Ten_nuts
08-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Hi guys, i know this matter has been discussed and i've read it somewhere, but then i am not sure which version, so i need you guys to help me: is it true that the stiffness of the Biomimetic 200 is only 57? And the SW is only 322 which, in my opinion, is way different from the previous model 4D 200. Thank you guys.

dr325i
08-04-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm aware of that. I work on the automotive industry so I'm used to deal with tolerances and stuff.

BTW, Auto industry has much tougher standards than most other industries -- at least for electronics -- not many Semiconductors are Automotive Certified ;)

Timbo's hopeless slice
08-04-2011, 03:41 PM
I think the handle difference would drive me absolutely mad.
I haven't ever seen a Dunlop with this myself, so it is hard to picture, but I can't see how you could possibly accept the sticks like that, I would have sent them back!

dadozen
08-05-2011, 09:43 AM
I think the handle difference would drive me absolutely mad.
I haven't ever seen a Dunlop with this myself, so it is hard to picture, but I can't see how you could possibly accept the sticks like that, I would have sent them back!

Timbo, that's exactly what happened. The weight difference was aceptable, I even bought 6 BM200s trying to get 4 or even 3 matched, in order to reduce my work with lead tape.

But the handle difference made me very, very disappointed with Dunlop. I mean, I can play knowing that one racquet is 2 or 3g heavier/lighter than the other, after all, it doesn't make much of a difference, especially if the balance is the same.