PDA

View Full Version : Swingweight vs Static weight for spin

cys19
08-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Which factor is more important to impart heavy spin + acceleration, given that one swings at the same speed every time?
Federer: Swingweight 338, Static weight 362g, Spins at ~3500 rpm
Nadal: Swingweight 355, Static weight 332g, Spins at 4000+ rpm
(Although it's been said that Nadal's backhand lacks the bite of his forehand.)
Notice how their racquets are complete opposites. (One's heavier in one category, vice versa.)
I suppose it depends on the path/style of one's swing? I'm unable to see which of the two has the quicker swing.

BobFL
08-03-2011, 01:02 PM
If everything else is the same, 'mass is class' stands :)

corners
08-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Which factor is more important to impart heavy spin + acceleration, given that one swings at the same speed every time?
Federer: Swingweight 338, Static weight 362g, Spins at ~3500 rpm
Nadal: Swingweight 355, Static weight 332g, Spins at 4000+ rpm
(Although it's been said that Nadal's backhand lacks the bite of his forehand.)
Notice how their racquets are complete opposites. (One's heavier in one category, vice versa.)
I suppose it depends on the path/style of one's swing? I'm unable to see which of the two has the quicker swing.

First, best evidence is that Fed's SW is also around 350. This is not confirmed, but you can find various threads about it. Every report from someone claiming to have measured Fed's actual frames at tournaments reports 350-353.

Second, you're right in noting the stark differences between their setups, but it's not really opposite. Rather, Fed has about an ounce (30 grams) of weight in the handle. Specifically, if you added 30 grams of leadtape about 7 inches up from the bottom of Rafa's frame you'd have a match with Fed's racquet.

Swingspeed is the number one factor in spin-generation, by a thousand miles. So your question becomes:

What effect does an ounce of mass in the handle have on swingspeed?

No one knows. Opinions vary. So do swing styles. Take a look at this recent poll:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=387846

cys19
08-03-2011, 05:58 PM
First, best evidence is that Fed's SW is also around 350. This is not confirmed, but you can find various threads about it. Every report from someone claiming to have measured Fed's actual frames at tournaments reports 350-353.

Second, you're right in noting the stark differences between their setups, but it's not really opposite. Rather, Fed has about an ounce (30 grams) of weight in the handle. Specifically, if you added 30 grams of leadtape about 7 inches up from the bottom of Rafa's frame you'd have a match with Fed's racquet.

Swingspeed is the number one factor in spin-generation, by a thousand miles. So your question becomes:

What effect does an ounce of mass in the handle have on swingspeed?

No one knows. Opinions vary. So do swing styles. Take a look at this recent poll:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=387846

Here's my source for Federer: http://www.hdtennis.com/grs/pro_racquet_specs/federer_wilson_k.html

corners
08-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Here's my source for Federer: http://www.hdtennis.com/grs/pro_racquet_specs/federer_wilson_k.html

All the crazy wingnuts on the forum pretty much agree that Greg Raven's K90 does not match Fed's playing specs. That racquet came out of Wilson's War Room, while Federer's sticks go from Wilson to Priority One, where they build custom handles, grip them and put 3-5 grams of lead tape at 12 o'clock. Raven's frame did not come from Priority One so it does not have the 3-5 grams under the bumper. If it did, the 338 would be around 350 with the lead.

fuzz nation
08-04-2011, 04:56 AM
Agree with our pal corners in that the racquet has to more or less fit the player swinging it. Even if either swing or static weight is key for spin potential, the player still needs to be able to swing it with decent speed to get the ball turning.

Although I might feel as though I have a greater potential to work the ball - which includes making greater spin - when using my heavier racquets, I also need to be in especially good form to use them well. My footwork and swing timing need to be more advanced and generally "extra sharp" compared with a lighter alternative that's heavy enough for my needs.