PDA

View Full Version : Leaded up racquet...flatter shots?

cys19
08-03-2011, 01:23 PM
-Leaded up LM Radical MP -> flatter shots than expected.
-It is affecting my serve percentage. (Perhaps I should experiment with a different toss placement?)
-Spin strings
-I understand the polarization vs depolarization concept.
-I placed 25g completely covering the lower half of the handle. (I understand this isn't optimal for maximum polarization since the weights aren't in the buttcap, but the weights have been evenly distributed from the very bottom of the buttcap to about 3.5 inches above the buttcap.)
-3g total at 3&9.
-.67g at 12.

I have trouble imparting the amount of spin that I want with this setup without exaggerating my strokes, whereas I've never had troubles imparting spin with other dense-pattern racquets (which make up the majority of my racquet collection).

I'm thinking of removing the lead placements at 3&9 and placing a total of 1.5-2g at 12, to keep swingweight, static weight, and balance point the same. (This is my moot attempt of trying as little as possible to fix this.) But I'm afraid of losing stability (not that the 3g makes that much of a difference in adding stability) and doubtful that this will be of any benefit. I'm, also, actually very happy with my setup (minus the decrease in spin potential).

Any thoughts as to what I should do to increase spin potential, other than to put weights into the buttcap?

Orion3
08-03-2011, 01:31 PM
You could try playing about with the strings...

Best way was to alternate the main strings e.g. one poly, one syn gut, one poly....etc

A cheaper alternative is to use string savers to raise every other main string.

Both ways will increase spin potential.

whomad15
08-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Swing faster? It's heavier so you're swinging slower, therefore reducing the amount of spin you can impart on the ball.

TaihtDuhShaat
08-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Lead @ 3&9 will flatten out your shots if the SW is <~360. Your idea of taking the mass off of 3&9 and adding less overall only to 12 will help add some curl to your shots.

cys19
08-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Swing faster? It's heavier so you're swinging slower, therefore reducing the amount of spin you can impart on the ball.

I'm swinging 2-3x faster with this racquet than with the LM Radical Tour (which is a monster) or the LM Prestige Mid. I could impart more spin on those two racquets than this current one.

cys19
08-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Lead @ 3&9 will flatten out your shots if the SW is <~360. Your idea of taking the mass off of 3&9 and adding less overall only to 12 will help add some curl to your shots.

I was thinking that. Hopefully it'll work out. Good to hear that my logic has some support.

jjs891
08-03-2011, 02:04 PM
25gms of lead tape under the grip is quite a bit ~50inches or 4 ft plus? It has to increase the grip size substantially. Larger grip size may affect your swing/stroke perhaps.

cys19
08-03-2011, 02:22 PM
25gms of lead tape under the grip is quite a bit ~50inches or 4 ft plus? It has to increase the grip size substantially. Larger grip size may affect your swing/stroke perhaps.

It did increase my grip size, but not by much. At most by half an overgrip. It's still within my measurements using the index finger method.

Rogael Naderer
08-03-2011, 02:47 PM
On my 200s I used to have lead at 3,9 and 12.

On one I had 6g at 12 and 4g total 3 and 9, with 3 and 9 I was getting stability but couldn't control/anglet the ball.

I removed that 3 and 9 weight and now just have the weight at 12, spin is improved and to have stability I just hit the sweetspot (which is maximised with the right strings and tension.)

I still hit a pretty "flat" trajectory but use alot of spin to move the ball around, that is due to my eastern grip and flat yet fast swing.

Fuji
08-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Depolarization is for sure what is leading to flatter shots, if you polarize it (12 and bottom), you should be able to impart much more spin! :)

-Fuji

spaceman_spiff
08-04-2011, 04:50 AM
Maybe it's just a characteristic of the LM Rad MP, regardless of whether or not you add lead. You're comparing three different frames and then implying that the lead is the difference. But, the Rad MP will probably have a different flex pattern, weight distribution, and string spacing than the other two frames. And, given the small amount of weight you are adding to the hoop, those other factors are most likely playing a bigger role than the extra weight.

Now, if you get more spin with an unmodified Rad MP than your modified one, then the extra weight would explain the difference. But the chances are you'll find that you get less spin with the Rad MP than the other two no matter what you do to it.

ATP100
08-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Put a little more lead at 3&9 and take away a little from handle, this will add to spin.

TennisCJC
08-04-2011, 07:05 PM

I added weight at 3&9 (3 g to each side - total 6 gram) and I get more spin than 6 g under bumper at noon. Sampras used boat loads of lead at 3&9 and had more rpm's on serve than anyone in history.

I think you will get more spin from noon if you are striving to have a very fast swing speed - example Nadal. I think you will get more spin from 3&9 if are looking to play a smoother game with slightly less whip and more plow.

Djoko also uses big strips of lead at 3 and 9 and he gets plenty of spin when he needs it. He flattens out a lot but he gets great spin on his cross court shots from both sides.

I think depolarized is better for all court players but polarized for baseline bashers who want to maximize whip, and swing speed.

TaihtDuhShaat
08-04-2011, 09:48 PM
I added weight at 3&9 (3 g to each side - total 6 gram) and I get more spin than 6 g under bumper at noon. Sampras used boat loads of lead at 3&9 and had more rpm's on serve than anyone in history.

I think you will get more spin from noon if you are striving to have a very fast swing speed - example Nadal. I think you will get more spin from 3&9 if are looking to play a smoother game with slightly less whip and more plow.

Djoko also uses big strips of lead at 3 and 9 and he gets plenty of spin when he needs it. He flattens out a lot but he gets great spin on his cross court shots from both sides.

Yes, more spin is achieved from adding mass @ 3/9 in the hoop if the SW is above ~360. This is due to a phenomenon that achieves spin through ball flattening and plow through rather than the use of swingspeed when the swingweight is beyond the point where a player can hit with maximum power. As one adds mass @ 3/9 and above in the hoop above ~360SW, shot depth decreases, the ball becomes heavier, and spin increases. Both Djokovic and Sampras use(d) SW>~360.

For a given SW <~360, more spin will be achieved with mass @ 12. This is because mass @ 12 increases the moment of inertia more than 3/9. The racquet with the higher moment of inertia will transfer more rotational momentum to the tennis ball. You achieved more spin @ 3/9 than 12 because you were within a comfortable SW for your swing, not limiting good racquet head speed. That same 6g @ 12 added 33% more SW than you had @ 3/9, and limited your swingspeed and spin. If you added 4g @ 12 instead to arrive to the same SW as your 6g @ 3/9, you would have had a higher moment of inertia than @ 3/9 within your comfortable SW, and would have achieved more spin.

Fuji
08-04-2011, 10:03 PM
I think depolarized is better for all court players but polarized for baseline bashers who want to maximize whip, and swing speed.

This is pretty much the perfect sum up!

-Fuji