PDA

View Full Version : Removing and Re-Installing Grommets, etc.

TimothyO
08-03-2011, 02:43 PM
I might (that's MIGHT) want to paint a racquet. I've resaerched the process and having lots of experience with spray painting projects I'm confident I can handle the stripping and painting phase.

What I'm not sure about is removing and then re-installing the grommets and bumper guard. The frame is the Head MG Radical OS. Is it easy to remove and re-install these parts or should I have an MRT do it for me? I have over 20 years of experience building models and similar "small tool work/precision" projects involving plastic and metal work. I have no fear of patiently performing detailed work. But I'm not arrogant enough to think I can jump into a project like this without the advice of more experienced folks.

Can I do this myself or is there a high chance of damaging the parts?

dadozen
08-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Tim, I honestly think that sanding/painting the racquet is much harder than the work needed to remove/reinstall the grommets.

Removing the grommets is much easier than reinstalling it, so if you feel you won't be able to do it, you can simply get a new grommet set and take the racquet to a experienced person

TimothyO
08-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks! I should have also mentioned the frame has never been strung. It's on a truck or plane and heading here from TW! So flaring won't be an issue when re-installing.

My ankle is injured and our courts are being resurfaced. I suppose a worst case scenario is I give it a try and if I break something order replacements.

There's a helpful YouTube video on the topic and it looks easy. But sometimes looks can be deceiving!

RyKnocks
08-03-2011, 03:18 PM
I just did this for the first time today. It's definitely harder to re-insert the grommets than to remove them. Removing them is just a matter of pulling the plastic. When re-inserting, you'll need a thin but sturdy tool (tooth pick sized but sturdier), so that you can align the grommets with the grommet holes. They don't automatically align since the insides of the frame is hollow. For my first time it was about a 20 min job.

dadozen
08-03-2011, 03:34 PM
RyKnocks, was that a Prestige( CAP grommets ) or a regular grommet set?

TimothyO
08-03-2011, 03:58 PM
I just did this for the first time today. It's definitely harder to re-insert the grommets than to remove them. Removing them is just a matter of pulling the plastic. When re-inserting, you'll need a thin but sturdy tool (tooth pick sized but sturdier), so that you can align the grommets with the grommet holes. They don't automatically align since the insides of the frame is hollow. For my first time it was about a 20 min job.

The YT video I watched showed how to use an awl from inside and outside the hoop to guide the grommets into place.

HiroProtagonist
08-03-2011, 04:11 PM
An awl is awl you need:lol:

Seriously though since the grommets haven't been used you shouldn't have too much trouble re-installing, you can heat em up with a hair dryer if they give u trouble though.

TimothyO
08-03-2011, 04:14 PM
An awl is awl you need:lol:

Seriously though since the grommets haven't been used you shouldn't have too much trouble re-installing, you can heat em up with a hair dryer if they give u trouble though.

I might do the project on our deck. The temp here in Atlanta was about 100 today!!! :)

RyKnocks
08-03-2011, 04:58 PM
The racquet I did was an MG Radical MP. An awl is exactly what you need (couldn't think of the name of the tool at the time). It'll make the job 100x easier. Also, don't be afraid to push the larger tie off grommets into place. They're a hair more "bendy" than the others and you'll notice when you try to position them with your awl.

scotus
08-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Follow that YuLittle video.

Be forewarned, though: Re-installing the used grommet is different from installing a new one.

Past string jobs tend to flare up grommet holes, especially the tie-offs and shared holes.

Often those areas refuse to be re-installed.

Keifers
08-04-2011, 02:42 AM
This is the awl I bought from TW:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Straight_Awl/descpage-AWL.html

High quality. Very happy with it.

fuzz nation
08-04-2011, 03:51 AM
Too bad you didn't get that awl at the same time you ordered the other stuff from TW, mister. Anyway, that doo-hicky is absolutely essential for some (not all) grommet replacements. My first bought of grommet wrestling was with a Babolat Pure Drive and just before I approached a nervous breakdown with the thing, I called my strining pal for guidance. Yes, he had one of these stringer's awls - the tip is just slightly rounded, but it's still quite narrow. With this tool on hand, grommet replacements are no sweat whatsoever.

You're just going to have to post some snapshots of that paint job...

TimothyO
08-04-2011, 04:39 AM
We have an MRT in the neighborhood who will lend me his specialized awl. I have an awl but it's one of those super sharp pointy ones.

The paint job is the brain child of my boys. It's intended to be easy to execute. Originally I considered the project since I nearly bought an EXO3 Tour 18x20 and really hate the color scheme. I'm fine with the MG Radical OS colors but since I can't hit at the moment we might do it anyway.

The theme is "Full Metal Racquet". :)

Black primer, very dark grey matte paint applied so black primer remains visible in crevices, subtle metallic highlights on edges applied using a technique called dry brushing. Slightly brighter metallic effect on more exposed edges. Matte sealer to protect the paint and maintain a dull finish. Final effect should be similar to worn blackened metal equipment. Black VS Touch mains and black copoly crosses complete the theme.

TimothyO
08-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Bad news or maybe a blessing in disguise...

:)

The OS arrived today...pre-strung!

:-?

I had ordered it unstrung but I guess Head is only selling them pre-strung as it came strung, retail/big box store packaging, etc.

So now the grommets have been deformed after sitting in hot planes and trucks between CA and GA. Now I'd probably need to order new grommets to since the old ones might not fit. Not a big deal but the idea was to make this a low budget, quick project. Maybe I'll do it when the grommets wear out.