PDA

View Full Version : Got Leather?

Faithfulfather
08-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Who uses just leather without an overgrip? Benefits/Drawbacks?

PBODY99
08-03-2011, 05:09 PM
I do and one other player I string for. My hands do not sweat, and we both started playing when Leather was all there was, except for gauze over wrap.
For me< i like the feel don't have any drawbacks. Your experience will vary.

TiberiusGracchus
08-03-2011, 05:35 PM
I have since about a month after I started playing tennis.

My hands don't sweat though, so slippage is not a problem. I've found that no matter what overgrip I use (Supergrap, Tourna, Wilson Pro), my hand slips all over the place on them. Not with leather though! I've got some awesome tennis callus' that keep my grip firm and in place now...I think my right hand may be turning to leather?

I use TW's widest wrap and thinnest thickness leather grip, FYI.

Winners or Errors
08-03-2011, 05:50 PM
I like leather, but if you don't want the balance of your racquet changed, you'll need to get out the lead tape. It adds a little bit of weight.

Doesn't bother my hands, gets a little tacky with sweat. Of course, YMMV, as I play in a very dry climate.

joe sch
08-03-2011, 05:51 PM

I prefer the leather grip unless its too hot and hand/arm sweat make gripping the leather to slippery. It takes time to develop tougher skin, ie some callous, so the leather does not cause blistering. The grip and feel of natural leather can not be surpassed !

Faithfulfather
08-03-2011, 05:53 PM
I have the TW 22mm X 1300mm X 1.3mm.

thebeast73
08-03-2011, 05:54 PM
I like the feel of leather it's not mushy

Kemitak
08-03-2011, 06:04 PM
I do! Gives me man-calluses, and crisps up the racquet.

nguyendat9
08-03-2011, 06:07 PM
My hand don't sweat a lot, so leather grip work for me. I just started using just leather grip with no overgrip. I really like the feel of it.

Fuji
08-03-2011, 08:34 PM
I sweat enough that I have to rotate rackets because Tourna Grip doesn't absorb enough sweat.... (Yes, I even wear wristbands.) But I do enjoy leather. I use it on most of my rackets because of bevels, and being an all court player, I change my grips 4-10 times a point so that leather really helps! :)

-Fuji

Bud
08-03-2011, 10:04 PM

Since day 1... love the feel of leather!

Benefits: Feel of the bevels, non-squishy handle
Drawbacks: can get slippery if very humid

richsox
08-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Love the solid feel, but I worry that any vibrations from the racket, etc. are exacerbated by having leather, and come straight through to my wrist, arm...

joe sch
08-05-2011, 05:18 PM
My hand don't sweat a lot, so leather grip work for me. I just started using just leather grip with no overgrip. I really like the feel of it.

Ya, try playing in TX when its 100 ;)

Faithfulfather
08-05-2011, 05:24 PM
I live in southwest Louisiana. You walk outside and instantly burst into flames! I use 2 racquets, wrist bands, and towels and I am still drenched with sweat. It doesn't help that have plenty of adipose tissue in the abdomen region!!

Bigtime
08-06-2011, 06:50 AM
I grew up with leather, so used to it. Tried TournaGrip and liked the grip/absorbency, however, did not like how often it had to be changed.

In fact until I knew how avaialble replacement leather was, I would choose frames strictly because they came stock with leather, (McEnroe Maxply, K-Blade Tour). I now will just use the stock grip (Hydromax) until it starts to fray then change to aftermarket leather.

pros: feel on touch shots, better feel of the bevels thus helping with grip change, durable, absorbs sweat pretty well, old school look

cons: on an extremely humid day can get a little slippery by the 3rd, 4th & 5th sets causing the need for a backup frame

hescobal
08-06-2011, 06:10 PM
started to use leather just because the calluses on my hand tear synthetic grips up really fast

lgbalfa
08-27-2011, 08:05 PM
i have the:

TW 22mm X 1300mm X 1.3mm

on my maxply mcenroe.

dr325i
08-27-2011, 11:49 PM
The drawbacks:
- slipping
- May be rough for some causing blisters and calluses
- adds extra weight to the handle
- if soaked, will take some time to dry

I am from Florida, so bare leather was no way...
Here, in Prague, I see a lot of people using bare leather.

pheonix6579
08-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Yea, love the feel of leather, but here in FL...now way...DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!...FORE!

Marcus2137
08-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Played tennis for about 12 years now, and never used leather until I found a great deal on a Youtek Prestige Pro. I fell in love with the leather super fast and never had any issues with blisters. I love the control and connection I feel using leather. And even when I cover it with an overgrip (only occasionally if I MUST), it still is much better than having a synthetic grip. Synthetic grips just feel mushy and detached.

For me, using the Head Tour grip, a little sweat actually makes my grip stick better. I'm playing in a relatively hot and very humid and I have no problems with slipping. I tried tourna overgrip and it works great over the leather, but I still prefer bare leather.

Marcus2137
08-29-2011, 01:49 AM
Update:

Played a few hours this afternoon and I paid attention to and confirmed something that I had noticed once or twice before.

I let my friend borrow my racquet for about 20 minutes today. When I got it back from him, I noticed that the grip was soaked. I'd noticed before as well, but always just assumed that it wasn't any difference than when I use it, I was just noticing more because he had just handed it over and I was more aware of his sweat on it than I am of my own. Just like, you don't notice your seat being warm, but when you sit down somewhere right after someone else gets up, you notice that the seat is warm.

But today was the first time he had borrowed my racquet with the bare leather grip. When the leather gets wet, it's easy to see because it gets dark. It was dark and wet when he gave it back to me after 20 minutes and I specifically noticed how sweaty it was. I went on to use it for another 1.5 hours after that and throughout my time using it and at the end, I paid attention and noticed that it was actually drier than when he gave it back to me. So it actually dried while I was using it.

He also made a point that it was too slippery for him, but I was having no problems with it at all today.

Point is, definitely his hands sweat very differently than mine, and he definitely had issues with the grip getting slippery when I felt like it was perfect and didn't even have to grip tightly, without any issues.