PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing a racquet after alot of years out..

specialjustin
08-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm new here but have been reading this great forum for a little while. I have recently got back into tennis after along time out. I'm 37 but haven't played properly since i was 15(ish):shock:. Put it this way my last racquet was a Prince magnesium pro 90!

My experience of racquets is as follows:

Random woods as a child
Moved on to Max 200g - hated it, heavy and felt like mush.
Then the Prince mag pro 90 - Loved it, lots of control. Just felt good to me.

I never had any lessons although it was recommended - no money..

------------------------------------------------------------------
I now hit 16 and gave up all sports for cigarettes and women!! As a result i became very good at smoking..hah!
------------------------------------------------------------------

Skip a few years to now. Decided to get back in shape and took up running (still doing this 2-3 times a week) but got super bored. Decided to borrow my brothers Prince triple threat something or other racquet and have a spot of tennis. Within 5 minutes i had concluded that the racquet was just nasty and there was lead weights in the balls:shock: A friend lent me the use of her Wilson Pro Staff 7.0 classic lite. Now i like this racquet but i'm not experienced enough to say why apart from it being low powered (which i liked) and have been using each time i play. It weighs in at 11.8 oz and i think its about 10 points head light.
My mate (total new comer to tennis) bought a mid priced bright green prince airo3 that is ok but a bit to much power. He then decided he was pro and bought a Babolat pure storm. This racquet is quit nice but it's hard to tell as its really fresh feeling compared to the others and i only had a quick go with it.

Last week i had my first ever lesson! He said my strokes are all just about fine and seemed surprised i hadn't had coaching. So i was pleased as punch with that, unless the bugger was telling lies. The guy is quite old and isn't up with racquets and such, so couldn't help with that

So basically i'm clueless..

I do have access to demo racquets, but would like a point in the right direction otherwise i would be demoing for ever..

Sorry this is really long, but any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Justin

flashfire276
08-03-2011, 06:37 PM
He then decided he was pro and bought a Babolat pure storm. This racquet is quit nice but it's hard to tell as its really fresh feeling compared to the others and i only had a quick go with it.

Actually, that's a great racquet! It's also something I would recommend, especially since you already tried it out.
Well, you already have some experience. Since you did enjoy a quick go with the Pure Storm, we can narrow down some racquets that would be perfect for you. It's one of the easier-to-use player's racquets, which means it has great control and feel, but it has a nice sweetspot, and is forgiving.
Anyways, the new Pure Storm GT would be quite pricey. If money is no object, I say you try it out and see if you like it.
However, check out the Head MicroGEL Radical MP. I think it's one of the greatest all-around racquets ever. It's forgiving, so it's great to learn on. It also has the great specs of a player's racquet, so you can keep using it when you strokes are fully develops. It feels amazingly soft, which makes it easy and safe on your arm. And of course, it's $90 for a brand new one!

tennisjon
08-03-2011, 06:49 PM
You might want to try the BLX Blade Team. Its medium light and it has a decent size head and sweet spot. You can add lead to it as well as you improve. I also recommend the Head Radical, which is pretty flexible. The Babolat Pure Drive is a good stick if you don't mind the stiffness.

specialjustin
08-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the input chaps. I have seen the Head MGel Radical MP recommended quite alot but i don't think it's available (is it and old model?) for demo, for me at least. My friends racquet is an AERO storm (not GT), not the "PURE" i first mentioned. I get a bit lost with all models on offer. So i don't know how the Aero compares to the Pure..?

I'm based in Norwich in the UK and the racquets available to me seem a little limited. I have a
n Intersport with a small demo stock and a Topspintennis outlet that appears to have a decent collection, but no Head microgels.. :/

Seeing as i'm using this Wilson prostaff 7.0 classic lite. Does anyone know the characteristics of the particular racquet?

Cheers, Justin

specialjustin
08-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Well i just can't find the Head MG-R-MP for demo so i'm just going to pull the trigger and buy one. It's relatively cheap, and could always be sold or kept for a spare should i not like it. Seeing as i have no frame of reference (get it, frame, racquet, frame, ah i'll get my coat) about specs and no one seems to know about the PS-7.0-Lite Classic (which i will need to return at some point), i should be able to learn a little with out breaking the bank. If anyone thinks i'm making a big mistake or has an opinion, please feel free to chime in.

Cheers, J

Timbo's hopeless slice
08-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Nah, it's a good choice. You can play pretty much any standard with one of those and never need to worry. Mate of mine has a bag full of the things that he uses standard and he has a win over Lleyton Hewitt in his CV...