PDA

View Full Version : Wilson racket out of spec?

gplracer
08-04-2011, 06:06 AM
I have three BLX Blade 98 rackets. One of them is newer and I ususally do not like to play with it. It just seems heavier. I weighed all of them this morning on a postal scale and got the following results. The rackets should be 10.7 ounces unstrung. I did have an over wrap on the grip on each racket. Also, each one had string.

Racket #1 11.4oz strung with full bed of lux
Racket #2 11.4oz strung with full bed of lux
Racket #3 11.7oz strung with a hybrid of lux and NXT

Is that a significant difference? To me the racket does not even play like the other two.

MAX PLY
08-04-2011, 06:18 AM
I would not consider that a significant difference in weight and I would suspect within spec. However, you may want to see if there is a difference in balance and I would add that the hybrid should feel somewhat different than the full lux bed.

BigM
08-04-2011, 06:21 AM
I have 3 of the same racket and they weigh 330g strung with over grip and dampener. They are all within 3g's of each other however the swing weight of my rackets are way out. TW lists these rackets at 335 swing weight strung whereas mine are like 348 , 347 and 351 respectively. I would check the balance and swing weight of your rackets. My blx blades feel so heavy!! Feel amazing but just way out!!!

gplracer
08-04-2011, 06:30 AM
What is the easiest way for me to check the balance and swingweight?

cellofaan
08-04-2011, 07:03 AM
The balance is easily measured by balancing the racket on something. Like a pencil, or the edge of a table.

Swingweight takes some more effort.
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/howto_swingweight.php

movdqa
08-04-2011, 07:09 AM
Your variance sounds normal for Wilson. The difference between my lightest and heaviest KPS88 is 0.5 ounces. Nothing that a little lead tape can't fix.

Gasolina
08-04-2011, 08:16 AM
The balance is easily measured by balancing the racket on something. Like a pencil, or the edge of a table.

Swingweight takes some more effort.
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/howto_swingweight.php
I could never do that test properly. There's just too much variance on the swings. You could be off by a fraction of a second and SW goes +/- 10 grams

movdqa
08-04-2011, 08:20 AM
I called a number of tennis shops locally and found one (well, it's about 50 minutes from work) with an RDC machine. So you could have them measure it for you. I plan on taking a bunch of racquets down to them to get them measured. No idea what they charge for the service.

BreakPoint
08-04-2011, 11:22 AM
A Wilson racquet out of spec?

I am shocked!!! Shocked, I tell you!! :grin:

Actually, 0.3 oz. out of spec is not at all unusual for Wilson. :(