PDA

View Full Version : Need something between and Aeropro Drive & Head Radical MP

cnr1guy
08-04-2011, 06:36 AM
I've been playing with my APD GTs for a while and before that I used various Head Radical MPs. I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out what would be a good balance between the two frames....go!

Cup8489
08-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Pure Storm GT..?

RyKnocks
08-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Pure Storm GT or Pure Storm tour GT if you want something with more weight and head light.

TheOneHander
08-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Aero Storm. It's like the forbidden love child of an APDGT and a Radical.

It has the APDGT spin-friendly-ness and power (albeit both are somewhat less) with the thinner design, control, and solid feel of the Radical.

cnr1guy
08-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the suggestions... going demo them. What about the KBlade 98... to close to the Radical?

TheOneHander
08-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestions... going demo them. What about the KBlade 98... to close to the Radical?

I'd check out the Kblade and the BLX Blade. They both play pretty similarly, the Kblade just felt a little softer. The BLX had a good amount of pop, and spin and depth came easily. Fairly good control, too, but I felt it didn't let me swing out as much as the Aero Storm did.

A_Instead
08-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Pure Storm more towards the Radical
or
Vcore 100s more towards the APD

Aperus
08-04-2011, 09:30 AM
I've played with both racquets you've mentioned. I think the Wilson BLX Pro Open is the one.

cnr1guy
08-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Pure Storm more towards the Radical
or
Vcore 100s more towards the APD

ummm, was trying to find middle ground, not one that leaned one way or the other.

A_Instead
08-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Agree with the BLX Pro Open with a good string set up.

TripleB
08-04-2011, 09:46 AM

I would say no. I played with the LM Radical MP for quite a while and demoed the KBlade 98 three times. The KBlade is much harder on the arm (it and the TT Warrior are the only two racquets to give me consistent arm pain), offers more spin, and offers less touch/control/feel.

For me a great compromise between the two racquets you mentioned and the KBlade 98 is the Dunlop 4D 300. Nice flexy feel of the LM Radical, spin of the Aeropro, control/touch of the LM Radical, and a great 'whipability' that neither of the other three have.

TripleB

A_Instead
08-04-2011, 09:50 AM
just thought of one. BB London, swings fast like the radical. and with that fast swings comes spin and power. Control and touch is good too.

x5150
08-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Pure Drive.

weight - At 11.2 oz it's in between radical weight 11.0 and APD 11.3.
visually - The pure drive frame looks bigger than the radical but smaller than the APD.
swing feeling - Swinging the racquet, the weight feels like the APD is most head heavy and radical most light, although head light pts specs say different.
ball impact feeling - The radical has the most flex and plush feeling, APD and PD significantly stiffer.
power - Rad < APD < PD.
spin - Rad < PD < APD
control - APD < PD < Rad

That's just my personal experience with those racquets. Played with the flexpoint and mg radicals for a few years. Then went to APD, back to weighted radical then Pure Storm Tour then Pure Drive then PD Roddick 27". I thought the Kblade 98 was a twin of the radical. Didn't like the AeroStorm when I demo'd it, prob due to the crappy strings so can't say much about it.

TheOneHander
08-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Pure Drive.

weight - At 11.2 oz it's in between radical weight 11.0 and APD 11.3.
visually - The pure drive frame looks bigger than the radical but smaller than the APD.
swing feeling - Swinging the racquet, the weight feels like the APD is most head heavy and radical most light, although head light pts specs say different.
ball impact feeling - The radical has the most flex and plush feeling, APD and PD significantly stiffer.
power - Rad < APD < PD.
spin - Rad < PD < APD
control - APD < PD < Rad

That's just my personal experience with those racquets. Played with the flexpoint and mg radicals for a few years. Then went to APD, back to weighted radical then Pure Storm Tour then Pure Drive then PD Roddick 27". I thought the Kblade 98 was a twin of the radical. Didn't like the AeroStorm when I demo'd it, prob due to the crappy strings so can't say much about it.

The PD and the APDGT are pretty close...the PD plays nothing like the Radical. Not only that but the PD and the APD are the same headsize with the same drill pattern and everything. And how can the PD have more power and control than the APD at the same time?

x5150
08-04-2011, 10:20 AM
The PD and the APDGT are pretty close...the PD plays nothing like the Radical. Not only that but the PD and the APD are the same headsize with the same drill pattern and everything. And how can the PD have more power and control than the APD at the same time?

Maybe I misunderstood that OP, is he asking for something that plays like the Radical or something in between the Radical and APD? I agree the PD and the APD are very close. In the power aspect, the PD gave me more power on the serve, about the same as APD on groundstrokes, but more 'control' on volleys. The APD just looks bigger to me I think because the throat design, one distinct memory is that whenever I would prepare for a forehand with the APD, I felt I could see more of it next to my face, or it could be the yellow. Anyway it was worth noting for me.

If he wants another radical, yah Kblade 98 or possibly Dunlop 300.

TheOneHander
08-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Maybe I misunderstood that OP, is he asking for something that plays like the Radical or something in between the Radical and APD? I agree the PD and the APD are very close. In the power aspect, the PD gave me more power on the serve, about the same as APD on groundstrokes, but more 'control' on volleys. The APD just looks bigger to me I think because the throat design, one distinct memory is that whenever I would prepare for a forehand with the APD, I felt I could see more of it next to my face, or it could be the yellow. Anyway it was worth noting for me.

If he wants another radical, yah Kblade 98 or possibly Dunlop 300.

The thread title, IIRC, is "need something between Aeropro Drive and Head Radical MP".

AceServer
08-04-2011, 03:19 PM
I would say no. I played with the LM Radical MP for quite a while and demoed the KBlade 98 three times. The KBlade is much harder on the arm (it and the TT Warrior are the only two racquets to give me consistent arm pain), offers more spin, and offers less touch/control/feel.

For me a great compromise between the two racquets you mentioned and the KBlade 98 is the Dunlop 4D 300. Nice flexy feel of the LM Radical, spin of the Aeropro, control/touch of the LM Radical, and a great 'whipability' that neither of the other three have.

TripleB

TripleB, I was planning to buy a 4D 300, but which one's better and more similar to the radicals, 300 or tour version?

mrtrinh
08-04-2011, 04:00 PM
How about something from the speed line?

TripleB
08-04-2011, 06:06 PM
TripleB, I was planning to buy a 4D 300, but which one's better and more similar to the radicals, 300 or tour version?

I would say that the Tour version is closer to the Radical Midplus...mainly due to the weight, feel of the racquet, and spin potential. I needed a little more spin that what the LM Rad MP was giving me and the 300 Tour gave me about the same amount of spin. The Tour is a great racquet but it wasn't a big enough change from the LM Rad MP for me to make the move to it.

TripleB

dgoran
08-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Head Instinct...

flashfire276
08-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Aero Storm. Hands down.
Head Radical MP is similar to the Babolat Pure Storm.
The in-betweener of the Pure Storm and AeroPro is the Aero Storm.

Common courtesy!

cnr1guy
08-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Aero Storm. Hands down.
Head Radical MP is similar to the Babolat Pure Storm.
The in-betweener of the Pure Storm and AeroPro is the Aero Storm.

Common courtesy!

Aero Storm or Aero Storm GT?