PDA

View Full Version : Does CAPed radical w/ leather grip = prestige

5imon
08-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Hi all, I had done some research about the CAPed Radical, and I was wondering does the Caped youtek Radical mp with a leather grip plays similar to a youtek prestige mp? I was looking a racket like prestige but a bit softer

EKnee08
08-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi all, I had done some research about the CAPed Radical, and I was wondering does the Caped youtek Radical mp with a leather grip plays similar to a youtek prestige mp? I was looking a racket like prestige but a bit softer

I believe there are several old threads on your specific topic. You can access them by doing a search.

Regarding my own experiences. Long story short, Was playing with Youtek Prestiges MP. Had a freak injury-strain of radial collateral ligament of index finger of racquet hand. When finally was able to play again after 4 months, I had my old Youtek Radical MPs professionally customized to the weight and balance of the Prestiges. Softer and more forgiving than the Prestiges and no reinjury but much more stable than the stock radical. No caps or leather grip though.

aggietex08
08-04-2011, 11:44 AM
No, there are several things that will be off. Capping the radical adds quiet a bit of SW. The Radical MP already has a higher SW than the Prestige MP (324 v. 318) so it will only further the differnce. The balance point will stay about the same since you are counter weighting with a leather grip. Since you are talking about a ~335 v. 318 SW with the higher SW being a lower balance point it will feel a lot harder to get the Radical MP around. I couldn't ever find an answer for this but, I believe the Radical will become stiffer than the Prestige. I played around with tension and found you have to lower it to feel the same. I use 60lbs in my EXO3 Tour 18x20 and used around 52 with a capped MG Radical, which still felt stiffer.

With all of that being said, it doesn't make it a bad racquet but I do not think I would compare the two.

Ronaldo
08-04-2011, 11:58 AM
If you want a softer feel, ditch the leather.

raguhtheman
08-04-2011, 01:02 PM
I have tried this. After adding CAP, stick becomes noticeably stiff.

So, if you want softer Prestige, add leather grip and add lead to bring the weight/balance to match with Prestige.

Besides, the CAP grommets do not fit correctly at least for couple strings. I tried to install myself and for another stick, I asked TW to replace with CAP. In both cases first couple of holes, string was touching the frame. Not good. It was a good experiment, but not worth it.

I don't see any benefit installing CAP grommets. If you want the CAPPed look, just buy Prestige. If you want it cheaper, buy used from one of the members...

5imon
08-04-2011, 08:15 PM
i just thought caped radical might play/feel like a normal prestige, but i guess not. So can some one suggest a racket that's like prestige but softer? or maybe lower the tension will do the job?

Gee
08-04-2011, 08:55 PM
i just thought caped radical might play/feel like a normal prestige, but i guess not. So can some one suggest a racket that's like prestige but softer? or maybe lower the tension will do the job?
You might try Pro Kennex Black Ace 98. I thought it felt like a softer and more comfortable Prestige MP.

Even Chris from TW seemed to have some similar experiences wtih this one as well during his review about the PK BA98. See TW BA98 Review (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/PKBA98/PKBA98Review.html).

Fuji
08-04-2011, 11:07 PM
The Redondo mid is the closest thing I've ever played that's in a softer package to a Prestige Mid! I would imagine that the Redondo MP would be close to the Prestige MP.... :)

-Fuji

mrtrinh
08-04-2011, 11:13 PM

just switched to the pure storm tour gt. does everything the prestige does but feels much more plush. I am using the same string set up as well.

5imon
08-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Thanks guys for some interesting suggestion. PK Redondo might be too heavy for me, but BA98 does sound pretty interesting. And mrtrinh have you try the non-gt version? I was thinking perhaps the pst non-gt would play softer than the gt one? One more quick question the donnay plat99's spec seems pretty close the prestige mp, do they play similar?
Once again thank you guys for the advice :)

EKnee08
08-05-2011, 08:11 AM
I have tried this. After adding CAP, stick becomes noticeably stiff.

So, if you want softer Prestige, add leather grip and add lead to bring the weight/balance to match with Prestige.

Besides, the CAP grommets do not fit correctly at least for couple strings. I tried to install myself and for another stick, I asked TW to replace with CAP. In both cases first couple of holes, string was touching the frame. Not good. It was a good experiment, but not worth it.

I don't see any benefit installing CAP grommets. If you want the CAPPed look, just buy Prestige. If you want it cheaper, buy used from one of the members...

Yes, that is what I did but had it done professionally by RPNY so no leather grip. Probably silicone in the handle plus lead.

5imon
08-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Yes, that is what I did but had it done professionally by RPNY so no leather grip. Probably silicone in the handle plus lead.
but does it play like prestige but only softer?

EKnee08
08-05-2011, 08:45 AM
but does it play like prestige but only softer?

very similar. It seems to inherently provide a bit more spin on groundies and serve. To me, I found an adjustment on serve going from prestige to customized radical. At first, did not hit as many aces on flat serves but 2nd serve especially lefty slice has more action and get more free points. Adjusted 1st serve and now as effective as prestige. Radical not quite as accurate but still great control. Customized Rad seems to have more inherent power and more forgiving on the stringbed as well as softer, since it is more flexible.
Before customized, the radical was not near as stable against heavy hitters. Now not a problem and returns similar to prestige. Also more forgiving at net and like it better on overheads.

There are several threads on this in archives.

5imon
08-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Do you mind giving me more info on how RPNY does it and how much for the service cost? You can contact me through my tt account.

TaihtDuhShaat
08-30-2011, 08:14 PM
All you need to do is add the leather grip and mass at 10&2 to the radical mp, and it should play flexier and with a bigger sweet spot than the prestige.

ManuGinobili
08-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Black Ace 98 does replicate some qualities from the prestige, namely excellent control and feel on the ball.

But it's not totally the same. For one the BA has a really low stiffness rating which makes it different from most sticks.

Then, it has less weight so that translate to less heft, and what you got is a really low powered stick. It feels great to hit balls with and the placement is excellent too, but you've got to ask your hitting partner how dangerous your shots are. Chances are they won't have as much bite and pace as normal.

You can make the BA98 work with some lead job though. I have it as a backup stick and it's a great doubles stick.

dgoran
08-31-2011, 11:22 AM
just switched to the pure storm tour gt. does everything the prestige does but feels much more plush. I am using the same string set up as well.

I think you must have very different definition of plush. I though that Pure Storm Tour GT = that stiff wilson pro staff feel that feels like stiff metal rod surrounded by concrete.

See image:
http://www.gt-trade.hr/aplik/images/water14.jpg

royfrombigd
08-31-2011, 01:46 PM

I've played extensively with several Radical and Prestige models with various customizations. Bottom line: there is no substitute for the way a Prestige hits, feels and serves. If you need a softer feel, you're better off keeping the Prestige and tinkering around with softer strings, maybe even nat gut. Hope that helps.