PDA

View Full Version : New Racquet/New Strings

rmarcare
08-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Hello all I am in a bit of a quandry. I am currently playing with a Head Flexpoint Prestige MP with hybrid Ashaway Crossfire 16 string mains strung at 57 cross at 61. I have a history of arm problems, whether it comes from baseball or tennis, especially in my shoulder/elbow areas. Ive been doing research on whether to try a new stick (Head Microgel Radial MP), or simply trying a softer string such as multifilament or natural gut. I am ready for my arm issues to be dealt with once and for all, because it is the one thing preventing me from play tennis more often. I weight train 6 days a week, and still struggle with these nagging injuries, so any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Irony Zealot
08-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Try a softer string first. If that doesn't work, then try out softer racquets. Whatever you do though, it sounds like you need to step away from kevlar.

Word of advice: You might come across some soft strings that will have an initial stiffness. Don't be discouraged and break in the strings. It will feel nice and plush soon.

mikeler
08-05-2011, 05:52 AM
If you decide to go with a multifilament, the three softest to try are Babolat Xcel (the best multi IMO), Mantis Comfort Synthetic (low powered and poor durability) or Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17 (too powerful for my game).

parasailing
08-05-2011, 09:37 AM
If you decide to go with a multifilament, the three softest to try are Babolat Xcel (the best multi IMO), Mantis Comfort Synthetic (low powered and poor durability) or Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17 (too powerful for my game).

If you want a soft string but like your strings crisp, go with Xcel Power, Technifibre X1 or NRG2, or Kirschbaum Touch Multifiber :).

ATP100
08-05-2011, 10:38 AM
The first thing you need to do is heal. You will never know what works until this happens.

rmarcare
08-05-2011, 12:18 PM
The first thing you need to do is heal. You will never know what works until this happens.

i took a few month away from tennis over the winter...then i came back and played intramural tennis in the spring once a week and i was fine...but the more i play the more my TE hurts. It is beginning to impact my workouts as well, so im hoping to find a permanent solution.

ATP100
08-06-2011, 09:07 AM
i took a few month away from tennis over the winter...then i came back and played intramural tennis in the spring once a week and i was fine...but the more i play the more my TE hurts. It is beginning to impact my workouts as well, so im hoping to find a permanent solution.

Permanent solution, stop playing, or, heal completely (stop using it completely) and string a lot lower and use a heavier racquet.