PDA

View Full Version : Coming from the Head Radical (Agassi's last racquet)... where to go?

Shyatic
08-04-2011, 11:53 AM
My playstyle is probably a 4.0-4.5, and I hit with deep backhand slice and heavy forehand topspin (my backhand has no spin so I otherwise hit it flat). I love rushing the net for serve and volley type of games; it's kind of been necessitated by my physique as my stamina isn't great, so I try to end points a bit faster :)

I've noticed that my racquet is pretty heavy compared to others, but as I've always played no-so-seriously I always bought Agassi's racquets (I have 3 generations worth), so a lighter racquet might be weird to me.

I'm open for suggestions, and also guidance on string tension because on that I really have no idea how to best judge given my playstyle.

Thanks for any help!

AceServer
08-04-2011, 02:14 PM
How heavy is your racquet, if I may ask?
11 oz is pretty light for most users

Shyatic
08-05-2011, 05:24 AM
How heavy is your racquet, if I may ask?
11 oz is pretty light for most users

Oh, my racquet is just under 11oz, and I'm used to that weight. I have another racquet that's a LOT lighter and I couldn't play with it :)

That said, I'm open to recommendations on a new one. The racquet I have now I am having a lot of trouble keeping my spin on the ball, the strings move everywhere after a few rallies and I'm constantly picking at it to line them back up.

Thanks for any tips or advice! :)

Cup8489
08-05-2011, 06:09 AM
Perhaps you're in need of a restringing..

Shyatic
08-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Perhaps you're in need of a restringing..

Could be... I'm open to ideas on which string. I usually drop my racquet off at Best Buy and get whatever string, but now that I'm playing more often it might make sense to have better string :)

That said, my racquet has never been great for topspin, at least so far as I've noticed.

AceServer
08-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Could be... I'm open to ideas on which string. I usually drop my racquet off at Best Buy and get whatever string, but now that I'm playing more often it might make sense to have better string :)

That said, my racquet has never been great for topspin, at least so far as I've noticed.

Best Buy? I didn't know they strung racquets.. ._.

dParis
08-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Say what?

Are they stringing it with Cat5 or Cat6?

Shyatic
08-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Say what?

Are they stringing it with Cat5 or Cat6?

LOL I just caught that mistake. I meant sports authority :p

I just made a trip there so it must be on the brain.. I edited my post!

msalamon
08-05-2011, 10:54 AM
or maybe fiber-- geek squad stringing department

dParis
08-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Had a feeling. :lol: What are the chances you can find a better stringer? SA, GSmith, D*ck's - the whole lot are pretty crappy. It's not so easy to find a really good stringer. Do some research and find a very reputable one in your area. It will pay dividends.

dParis
08-05-2011, 11:00 AM
or maybe fiber-- geek squad stringing department
Again, crappy stingers, but at least they come out in their VW's and string on site.

Shyatic
08-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Had a feeling. :lol: What are the chances you can find a better stringer? SA, GSmith, D*ck's - the whole lot are pretty crappy. It's not so easy to find a really good stringer. Do some research and find a very reputable one in your area. It will pay dividends.

Good to know... I wasn't aware that it made any difference :)

I just figured it's done one way and that's it. I know of a local stringer that my hitting partner uses, charges something like $12 and I provide the string. Anybody recommend some good string?

And despite that, I'm still thinking of a new racquet as the Agassi racquet I have isn't exactly a topspin champ, not that I've ever heard of anyway :)

Thanks!

EKnee08
08-05-2011, 11:13 AM
My playstyle is probably a 4.0-4.5, and I hit with deep backhand slice and heavy forehand topspin (my backhand has no spin so I otherwise hit it flat). I love rushing the net for serve and volley type of games; it's kind of been necessitated by my physique as my stamina isn't great, so I try to end points a bit faster :)

I've noticed that my racquet is pretty heavy compared to others, but as I've always played no-so-seriously I always bought Agassi's racquets (I have 3 generations worth), so a lighter racquet might be weird to me.

I'm open for suggestions, and also guidance on string tension because on that I really have no idea how to best judge given my playstyle.

Thanks for any help!

Are you playing with radical oversize?

you can stay with the newest version of radical mp coming from oversize version. latest youtek about to be replaced. in head lineup: speed or prestige mp (even heavier but easy to swing, more headlight balance)

EKnee08
08-05-2011, 11:15 AM
LOL I just caught that mistake. I meant sports authority :p

I just made a trip there so it must be on the brain.. I edited my post!

yeah, best buy might sell racquets...for your wii console.:)

Shyatic
08-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Are you playing with radical oversize?

you can stay with the newest version of radical mp coming from oversize version. latest youtek about to be replaced. in head lineup: speed or prestige mp (even heavier but easy to swing, more headlight balance)

I don't have it handy (at work) but I don't think it's an oversize racquet.

Forgetting what I'm using now.... I'd rather have something that works to my strengths which is the topspin on my forehand or my slide on my backhand. Are the Head racquets still the way to go, or Babolat, or whatever? I am intrigued by the racquet that Nadal uses, since I think my style is kind of like his (though I'm obviously far worse), but anyhoo.. let me know :)

EKnee08
08-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I don't have it handy (at work) but I don't think it's an oversize racquet.

Forgetting what I'm using now.... I'd rather have something that works to my strengths which is the topspin on my forehand or my slide on my backhand. Are the Head racquets still the way to go, or Babolat, or whatever? I am intrigued by the racquet that Nadal uses, since I think my style is kind of like his (though I'm obviously far worse), but anyhoo.. let me know :)

serve and volley? nadal?

The Agassi Radicals wwere OS. around 107 square inches. Radical MP is 98.

Shyatic
08-05-2011, 12:14 PM
serve and volley? nadal?

The Agassi Radicals wwere OS. around 107 square inches. Radical MP is 98.
No just in forehand and backhands... I'm kind of all over the court; I like serve and volley a lot because I enjoy the net game.

Now looking at a few more options, I am thinking the PDRGT+ might be the way to go, since it seems more attune to control at the net. I'm open to suggestions.

OldButGame
08-05-2011, 12:22 PM
"Sir",..."Your raquet just needs to be 'defragged',"......"we can do that for 399.00$",...

EKnee08
08-05-2011, 12:28 PM
No just in forehand and backhands... I'm kind of all over the court; I like serve and volley a lot because I enjoy the net game.

Now looking at a few more options, I am thinking the PDRGT+ might be the way to go, since it seems more attune to control at the net. I'm open to suggestions.

Whatever stick you look at, Midplus would be more suitable for your all-court game than an OS.