PDA

View Full Version : Pro Kennex Destiny FCS 290 Advance

maxply
08-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Just got one from TW on Thurs. Wow what a nice tweener type racquet, similar in spec and design to a Babolat pure Drive, with a bit of lead at 12 and overgrip mine weighs exactly 11oz. It came pre- strung with some type of synthetic gut wich I played a couple of matches with.{ I just got it restrung with Head RIP 17 in mains and Quasi Gut 16 Crosses - 56lbs m - 55 -crosses}
The racquet serves very well and can hit some great forhands as well, with spin or flat. I will post more info when I try the new strings out.

levy1
08-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Just got one from TW on Thurs. Wow what a nice tweener type racquet, similar in spec and design to a Babolat pure Drive, with a bit of lead at 12 and overgrip mine weighs exactly 11oz. It came pre- strung with some type of synthetic gut wich I played a couple of matches with.{ I just got it restrung with Head RIP 17 in mains and Quasi Gut 16 Crosses - 56lbs m - 55 -crosses}
The racquet serves very well and can hit some great forhands as well, with spin or flat. I will post more info when I try the new strings out.

How about the post

MAXXply
08-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Where I am they only offer the FCS 295 but I really want the all-black FCS 315 which seems to be an EU-only release. At 315gms unstrung, it has the potential to be a big-swinging sub-340gms racket which I'd relish.

I've seen the Destiny FCS 315 available new on the bay in the UK but they don't offer international shipping for some lazy ****-a-mamie reason and I can't get one for love or money.

maxply
08-08-2011, 05:16 AM
I had the racquet restrung with Head Rip Control 17g mains 56, and Quasi Gut g16g crosses 55lbs. I played 4 sets against a 17 year old 4.5 player , and a 31 year old 4.5 male player . I am 43 4.5 , the surface was synthetic grass (omni court) I also added a bit of lead to the 12 o'clock , with over grip and vibe damp the racquet weighs exactly 11oz with a 2 point head light balence. For me this racquet worked great ( had been using the Wilson PSC 6.1) The lighter weight was quickley gotten used to perhaps because of the even balence.
Serves = 8.5 (of 10) Very good power with control Kick was improved flat about the same Slice serve went down compared to the Wilson , but is early.

Forehand = 9 Have not hit forhands this well in years! Could hit flat spin or slice very well the extra power and light weight were very useful when pulled wide, even hit some screming winners from this position.

Return = 9 Excelleent on Drive or chip returns from both wings , suprizingly stable against heavy serves.
Touch = 8.5 Had a very goog day with short slice and drop shots . The fairly open 16- 19 pattern and string combo worked well.

Backhand = Tends to be a bit off and on , think James Blake, Slice 8.5 at least, stayed low and skidded. Topspin was used less due to the synthetic grass surface, but I would only give it a 7.5 , this was the only shot that the new weight and balence threw me off. It is still early .

Comfort = For a light, stiff (68) racquet it was very comfy I was trying to find a good contrl set up with out using poly , as recently I have been getting some arm soreness { have only used Big Hitter blue & silver Pro Hurricane & tour and assorted LUX , while I loved how most played in Hybrids I am concerned for my aging arm} The new string combo worked well for comfort and control

Overall = An excellent , but unknown racquet I would recomend it to any looking for an 11 oz racquet with a nice combo of power control and stability , and its different and not a bad looking stick.

**** The stock grip is thin and worked great with an overgrip

maxply
08-08-2011, 05:46 PM
anyboby else try this frame?

levy1
08-09-2011, 06:32 AM
anyboby else try this frame?

I am demoing this frame. I am so surprised at this stick as it is the first Kennex I have hit with and I am really liking this frame. So far it beats out the Dunlop Aerogel 4d 300, Volkl Pow Bridge 8 315, and the Boris BB delta core sporster.
I am leaving my 12.2 oz frames and looking for a lighter racket. I am so impressed with this frame and thought I would find another Kennex model to try but there is not in that weight range. I have a couple more demos coming including the Pro Kennex Q 15 (105) just to make sure I try a different model of Kennex. As of now I am using the 290 in matches and I am going to add some lead for practice tonight. Great stick.

levy1
08-09-2011, 06:37 AM
Where I am they only offer the FCS 295 but I really want the all-black FCS 315 which seems to be an EU-only release. At 315gms unstrung, it has the potential to be a big-swinging sub-340gms racket which I'd relish.

I've seen the Destiny FCS 315 available new on the bay in the UK but they don't offer international shipping for some lazy ****-a-mamie reason and I can't get one for love or money.

Do you know the specs for the 315?

levy1
08-09-2011, 06:40 AM
OK, I found it. A little out of my weight class at 11.8

maxply
08-09-2011, 06:47 AM
Specs for the 315 = 315g - balance= 305, Stiff = 69, all unstrung which would be 11.6 - 11.8 strung , a bit more than I want also , I tried the Ki 15 = very nice , but a bit more power tan I wanted.

levy1
08-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Specs for the 315 = 315g - balance= 305, Stiff = 69, all unstrung which would be 11.6 - 11.8 strung , a bit more than I want also , I tried the Ki 15 = very nice , but a bit more power tan I wanted.
Did you like it better then the 290? What did you think the difference in the sticks are as far as you hitting them? Why not just string the K1 15 a little tighter?

maxply
08-09-2011, 01:30 PM
I just felt better connected to the Destiny 290, not sure if it was the slightly smaller head, or the flex in the shaft, but I felt more in control of all my shots.

levy1
08-09-2011, 01:32 PM
I just felt better connected to the Destiny 290, not sure if it was the slightly smaller head, or the flex in the shaft, but I felt more in control of all my shots.
Thanks, I am loving the 290 demo. I have a chance to buy a Ki 10 which is the same spec but denser string pattern.

levy1
08-09-2011, 06:22 PM
I am anxious to her how the new setup is doing. I just ordered one, could not pass up the price. I was told if I want more ball pocketing to use the same string and string the crosses 2lbs less. How is your setup and does it play any different with the new strings?

maxply
08-10-2011, 04:36 AM
The updated review was with the RIP + Quasi Gut . I think this racquet would play great with a soft poly main and multi cross. However I have had some recent arm pain , partly due to some old boxing injuries, so I went with a soft control set up. The 17g RIP (black swirls) provides good control, spin, comrort, not much power and a muted feel. The Quasi Gut 16 gives still more comfort and some touch and power. I really liked the result and will use this for a while I will probably up the tension a couple of lbs next time 57 - 58 Just to see how it feels.

levy1
08-10-2011, 06:15 AM
The updated review was with the RIP + Quasi Gut . I think this racquet would play great with a soft poly main and multi cross. However I have had some recent arm pain , partly due to some old boxing injuries, so I went with a soft control set up. The 17g RIP (black swirls) provides good control, spin, comrort, not much power and a muted feel. The Quasi Gut 16 gives still more comfort and some touch and power. I really liked the result and will use this for a while I will probably up the tension a couple of lbs next time 57 - 58 Just to see how it feels.

So you feel plenty of control at that tension I assume. How about ball pocketing?

maxply
08-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Ball pocketing was great as both strings are soft.

levy1
08-10-2011, 06:46 AM
Ball pocketing was great as both strings are soft.
Thanks for all the info. And lastly are you going to change your name to
ProKply?

max
08-10-2011, 06:52 AM
Good thread. Thank God for Pro Kennex! If, when, I switch out of my current frame, it's among the first stables I'll look at for getting my next bunch.

Power Player
08-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Maxply, how does this stick compare in spin to an APDC? I use the PK 7G and want to grab an open pattern racquet just to see a few things about my game. I'm looking to see if the open pattern will help me with net clearance and heavier spin for a little more consistency.

I'd have to lead this stick and would want it with a SW in the 340s and a balance of 5-7 pts HL.

Have you been leading up the handle? If so, I imagine you can not put lead in it, and would probably just have to wrap the pallet.

maxply
08-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Spin seems about the same as the APDC as they are basically the same size shape and string pattern . I do use a conservative eastern to extreme eastern grip so I dont hit with that much spin. As for the lead it seems to have a standard handle so you could put lead in it , iI have only added about 2 grams to the 12 o'clock at the moment . I am thinking of adding a bit to the handle in the form of a washer fixed to the bottom of the buttcap.

levy1
08-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Spin seems about the same as the APDC as they are basically the same size shape and string pattern . I do use a conservative eastern to extreme eastern grip so I dont hit with that much spin. As for the lead it seems to have a standard handle so you could put lead in it , iI have only added about 2 grams to the 12 o'clock at the moment . I am thinking of adding a bit to the handle in the form of a washer fixed to the bottom of the buttcap.
I do almost the same thing when I am testing lead,I fold the lead tape up, beat it flat a little and then tape it to the bottom of the butt cap. I use clear packing tape in a x pattern then I add the over grip so I cannot feel or see the clear tape. It is easy to take off and on to change. I understand this butt cap does not come off so I might have to do a little figuring to make it permanent.

maxply
08-11-2011, 07:35 PM
A hot glue gun works, or a silicone type of glue.

despo
11-17-2011, 10:32 AM
i really want to try the new destiny 295 ! i love my ki5's but sometimes feel like i need a bit more pop